Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Silhouette Scroll
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
@PaintmasterSheo

The feeling is the same, for me personally. That's where the comparison aspect came in. That some are treating it as representation when it isn't really. That there's this potential for monetization off this. Just as there was a potential for Rowling to profit off suddenly included representation.
@PaintmasterSheo

The feeling is the same, for me personally. That's where the comparison aspect came in. That some are treating it as representation when it isn't really. That there's this potential for monetization off this. Just as there was a potential for Rowling to profit off suddenly included representation.
fqn8lLh.png
[quote name="bellyacher" date="2020-09-15 09:32:44" ] That LGBTQ+ friends are using it for representation, but it's not REALLY representation. It's a bit like...humm. It's a bit like JK Rowling retroactively saying certain characters are gay. Yes, sure, some people will use that and be happy with it! But others, not so much. [/quote] LGBTQ+ people are using it to expand on their representation of their already LGBTQ+ dragons. The dragons are not suddenly LGBTQ+ because they slapped a pose change scroll on it. They were LGBTQ+ the second the person decided it. It's completely different from JK Rowling not showing any shred of information that her character was gay, and then years later saying this character was gay / of color / the many many other things JK has pulled from thin air when at times the books themselves outright show otherwise. I think it's fine to not like the scrolls, but comparing people with personal trans dragons who want to pose change for personal reasons (no one needs to pose change to make their dragon trans, their dragon was trans the moment they decided it was) to JK Rowling is a bit hard handed, especially when most people with these dragons often place the info in the bio which is a lot more than JK did.
bellyacher wrote on 2020-09-15 09:32:44:
That LGBTQ+ friends are using it for representation, but it's not REALLY representation. It's a bit like...humm. It's a bit like JK Rowling retroactively saying certain characters are gay. Yes, sure, some people will use that and be happy with it! But others, not so much.

LGBTQ+ people are using it to expand on their representation of their already LGBTQ+ dragons. The dragons are not suddenly LGBTQ+ because they slapped a pose change scroll on it. They were LGBTQ+ the second the person decided it.

It's completely different from JK Rowling not showing any shred of information that her character was gay, and then years later saying this character was gay / of color / the many many other things JK has pulled from thin air when at times the books themselves outright show otherwise.

I think it's fine to not like the scrolls, but comparing people with personal trans dragons who want to pose change for personal reasons (no one needs to pose change to make their dragon trans, their dragon was trans the moment they decided it was) to JK Rowling is a bit hard handed, especially when most people with these dragons often place the info in the bio which is a lot more than JK did.
What happened in the last five pages to cause the poor OP to need to put up a, 'Hey don't start fights or etc' edit??
What happened in the last five pages to cause the poor OP to need to put up a, 'Hey don't start fights or etc' edit??
arcane_space_new_copy_by_cassiopie-dbkaj3c.png
Camien's Cavern for All Dragons.
And I don't know anything, except that green is so green.
And there's a special kind of sadness that seems to come with spring...

Profile. | Adoptables. | Coli Challenges.
Arcane House: Dreamstrider*******Star Lair Goal: 210/210
[quote name="Demagogue" date="2020-09-15 09:38:42" ] speaking as a trans guy myself, my initial reaction (after “neat, this is going to simplify a lot of people’s projects”) is that I hope this doesn’t alter how the community views gender vs pose. certainly the community has never been perfect in this respect but one thing I’ve always liked about it is that most people are fairly willing to view a dragon’s onsite mechanical sex/pose and its gender as two separate things, to such an extent that I’ve seen plenty of cis people comfortably make fan dragons of cis characters using the “wrong” pose. Certainly it has very cool lore potential but I actually very much hope this scroll doesn’t become seen as the “make your dragon trans” scroll, because... well, we’ve always had the ability to do that, and it’s always been free. [/quote] I honestly expect pose=gender to be LESS of a thing now, and people just having all their dragons in their favorite poses. I love the male coatl pose. I don't care for the female one at all. I have a project where I have all female tundras and honestly it was putting me in a bad spot.. now new options have opened up.
Demagogue wrote on 2020-09-15 09:38:42:
speaking as a trans guy myself, my initial reaction (after “neat, this is going to simplify a lot of people’s projects”) is that I hope this doesn’t alter how the community views gender vs pose. certainly the community has never been perfect in this respect but one thing I’ve always liked about it is that most people are fairly willing to view a dragon’s onsite mechanical sex/pose and its gender as two separate things, to such an extent that I’ve seen plenty of cis people comfortably make fan dragons of cis characters using the “wrong” pose. Certainly it has very cool lore potential but I actually very much hope this scroll doesn’t become seen as the “make your dragon trans” scroll, because... well, we’ve always had the ability to do that, and it’s always been free.

I honestly expect pose=gender to be LESS of a thing now, and people just having all their dragons in their favorite poses. I love the male coatl pose. I don't care for the female one at all. I have a project where I have all female tundras and honestly it was putting me in a bad spot.. now new options have opened up.
.~.~*~.~.
~* SCB *~
* accent *
~*shop*~
.~.~*~.~.

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *
-_-JRZc9fI.png
[quote name="camien" date="2020-09-15 09:44:45" ] What happened in the last five pages to cause the poor OP to need to put up a, 'Hey don't start fights or etc' edit?? [/quote] Discussion happening in FR discussion? Shocking, right? lol
camien wrote on 2020-09-15 09:44:45:
Discussion happening in FR discussion? Shocking, right? lol
.~.~*~.~.
~* SCB *~
* accent *
~*shop*~
.~.~*~.~.

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *
-_-JRZc9fI.png
@bellyacher I don't see anyone treating it as representation? It's just people being excited about being able to change poses since it can be fun for trans dragons. Nobody is saying you need this scroll for a dragon to be trans, just that it's a nice extra that some people like. At the end of the day, it relating to trans dragons was never mentioned by staff, only by the userbase. People have been asking for this for years, it's not a thing staff randomly decided.
@bellyacher I don't see anyone treating it as representation? It's just people being excited about being able to change poses since it can be fun for trans dragons. Nobody is saying you need this scroll for a dragon to be trans, just that it's a nice extra that some people like. At the end of the day, it relating to trans dragons was never mentioned by staff, only by the userbase. People have been asking for this for years, it's not a thing staff randomly decided.
aasolsmall.pngaa
mags
they/vae
fr +8
drymmsmallsmall.png
@SCB Completely shocking. I'm aghast. The horror. The repulsion. *snicker* There have been a few...out there comments that didn't qualify as discussion. I just don't see the need to get into it. This was meant as an opinion thing. Not a "everyone grab the torches and pitchforks" thing. @PaintmasterSheo I've seen a few as I scroll through some of the threads. @camien Some people were kung-fu fighting. Fast as lightning. At first it was a little frightening, but they did it with perfect timing. ( I'm so sorry, no one knows why I'm like this. I suspect I've been this way since birth though. ) Anyways, I saw some people getting a little. OVER EXCITED. So I just. Please. Everyone be polite. @Gimeurcookie [quote]...especially when most people with these dragons often place the info in the bio which is a lot more than JK did.[/quote] The ugly-laugh I just made. You got me here. It probably was a bit of a harsh comparison, and for that I apologize. I'm not always the best at coming up with things that feel the same that perhaps aren't as...over bearing? I suppose. I guess I have a more limited exposure to media than most people my age. That probably isn't helping. I appreciate your input! It's definitely a very thoughtful insight!
@SCB
Completely shocking. I'm aghast. The horror. The repulsion. *snicker* There have been a few...out there comments that didn't qualify as discussion. I just don't see the need to get into it. This was meant as an opinion thing. Not a "everyone grab the torches and pitchforks" thing.

@PaintmasterSheo
I've seen a few as I scroll through some of the threads.

@camien
Some people were kung-fu fighting. Fast as lightning. At first it was a little frightening, but they did it with perfect timing. ( I'm so sorry, no one knows why I'm like this. I suspect I've been this way since birth though. )

Anyways, I saw some people getting a little. OVER EXCITED. So I just. Please. Everyone be polite.

@Gimeurcookie
Quote:
...especially when most people with these dragons often place the info in the bio which is a lot more than JK did.

The ugly-laugh I just made. You got me here. It probably was a bit of a harsh comparison, and for that I apologize. I'm not always the best at coming up with things that feel the same that perhaps aren't as...over bearing? I suppose. I guess I have a more limited exposure to media than most people my age. That probably isn't helping. I appreciate your input! It's definitely a very thoughtful insight!
fqn8lLh.png
I'm not happy with this either, honestly. I've got nothing against the scroll itself, but WHY. Not everyone pays for gems, and additionally, why should you have to pay money to change a pose? If I want a trans dragon with a matching pose, then too bad me. This Scroll is not worth my time.
I'm not happy with this either, honestly. I've got nothing against the scroll itself, but WHY. Not everyone pays for gems, and additionally, why should you have to pay money to change a pose? If I want a trans dragon with a matching pose, then too bad me. This Scroll is not worth my time.
0EgCmlK.png >> Wishlist
>> Avatar dragon
>> 1,000 Days of G&G
>> Bean's Showcase, Boutique, and Workshop
Quote:
I think it's time for me to stop visiting my thread. What started as an opinion and statement of feelings for me was suddenly warped into this big discussion that somehow made people think I'm putting words in other people's mouths or making a big deal out of nothing. I honestly didn't expect this thread to receive so much attention!!

It really wasn't meant to be that deep. Just someone making note of a few things they disliked. Just a little vent.

I will happily claim the first to complain aloud about the new feature. It's okay to be discordant and to vent. Not everything on this website has to be happy and well received. And it's okay for me to see what may become a potentially burdgeoning problem of false-representation, or monetization of identity, and be concerned.

All in all, I hope that those who are happy with update enjoy it and make the best use of it! And I hope those are unhappy with it find something to make their days a little more joyful! Thank you to the devs who continue to create, to the folks who log in day after day to have fun, and most importantly, thank YOU for reading and contributing to this thread to provide a thoughtful and insightful conversation!

Have a great day, night, whatever it may be!
Quote:
I think it's time for me to stop visiting my thread. What started as an opinion and statement of feelings for me was suddenly warped into this big discussion that somehow made people think I'm putting words in other people's mouths or making a big deal out of nothing. I honestly didn't expect this thread to receive so much attention!!

It really wasn't meant to be that deep. Just someone making note of a few things they disliked. Just a little vent.

I will happily claim the first to complain aloud about the new feature. It's okay to be discordant and to vent. Not everything on this website has to be happy and well received. And it's okay for me to see what may become a potentially burdgeoning problem of false-representation, or monetization of identity, and be concerned.

All in all, I hope that those who are happy with update enjoy it and make the best use of it! And I hope those are unhappy with it find something to make their days a little more joyful! Thank you to the devs who continue to create, to the folks who log in day after day to have fun, and most importantly, thank YOU for reading and contributing to this thread to provide a thoughtful and insightful conversation!

Have a great day, night, whatever it may be!
fqn8lLh.png
@AriesOnMars regardless of what I said your reactions *are* still valid, I do want to be very clear on that ^^ (and venting is a healthy thing to do!) Edit: [s]looking back I realize my actions don't match my words since I came out of nowhere like I had a right to correct you when you were expressing your thoughts, that truyl wasn't my intention and I apologize[/s] Magic is a very good point LOL, kinda like shapeshifting where I'm sure a lot of trans folks would be thrilled with it, it just probably hasn't come because of all the coding to make sure it doesn't go wrong >< But we all thought this wouldn't happen so maybe one day [img]https://i.imgur.com/bceZJU5.png[/img] Besides that, I hope you have a great day [emoji=cat 3 size=1]
@AriesOnMars regardless of what I said your reactions *are* still valid, I do want to be very clear on that ^^ (and venting is a healthy thing to do!) Edit: looking back I realize my actions don't match my words since I came out of nowhere like I had a right to correct you when you were expressing your thoughts, that truyl wasn't my intention and I apologize
Magic is a very good point LOL, kinda like shapeshifting where I'm sure a lot of trans folks would be thrilled with it, it just probably hasn't come because of all the coding to make sure it doesn't go wrong ><
But we all thought this wouldn't happen so maybe one day

bceZJU5.png

Besides that, I hope you have a great day
adopt.pngxxxxxxxx2z8Ghkx.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8