Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Silhouette Scroll
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
@Purpleater13

I saw someone jokingly mention that everyone is gonna spend their gems on the scroll and not be able to afford the ancient breed. And honestly---
@Purpleater13

I saw someone jokingly mention that everyone is gonna spend their gems on the scroll and not be able to afford the ancient breed. And honestly---
fqn8lLh.png
The site needs money to survive. Money comes from people buying gems. It's just like an eternal youth or maturity scroll. We don't have toggles for that, nor are they even permanent. The permanence of it, to the point of dragons retaining it forever, it probably why it carries a higher price point than youth/maturity scrolls.

I'm not really sure what your issue is the second paragraph. I've always seen the male/female icons as being indicative of their biological sex, not their gender. And whether the silhouette scroll is the answer for people's trans/nonbinary dragon needs isn't up for anyone else to decide. It's up to the individual player.
The site needs money to survive. Money comes from people buying gems. It's just like an eternal youth or maturity scroll. We don't have toggles for that, nor are they even permanent. The permanence of it, to the point of dragons retaining it forever, it probably why it carries a higher price point than youth/maturity scrolls.

I'm not really sure what your issue is the second paragraph. I've always seen the male/female icons as being indicative of their biological sex, not their gender. And whether the silhouette scroll is the answer for people's trans/nonbinary dragon needs isn't up for anyone else to decide. It's up to the individual player.
Nobody wants to tell you why discipline is so important. Discipline is the strongest form of self-love. It is ignoring current pleasures for bigger rewards to come. It's loving yourself enough to give yourself everything you've ever wanted.
[quote name="bellyacher" date="2020-09-15 07:51:19" ] @Purpleater13 I saw someone jokingly mention that everyone is gonna spend their gems on the scroll and not be able to afford the ancient breed. And honestly--- [/quote] Yeah I'm worried that people who don't have a reliable source of gem income like me and who only rely on gem exchange are gonna have a hard time if the rates go up
bellyacher wrote on 2020-09-15 07:51:19:
@Purpleater13

Yeah I'm worried that people who don't have a reliable source of gem income like me and who only rely on gem exchange are gonna have a hard time if the rates go up
My dragons' names are 2-3 separate words. Please put spaces between them!!!
hRPcGnh.jpg
I know there are already so many cooks in the kitchen, but I want to throw in my two cents.
I don't think that peer pressure to use the scroll if you have a trans or nonbinary dragons will be a problem unless the community makes it one. I know that sounds kinda silly but what I'm trying to say is that as long as we just keep doing what we've been doing, peer pressure for the scrolls most likely won't be a problem
I know there are already so many cooks in the kitchen, but I want to throw in my two cents.
I don't think that peer pressure to use the scroll if you have a trans or nonbinary dragons will be a problem unless the community makes it one. I know that sounds kinda silly but what I'm trying to say is that as long as we just keep doing what we've been doing, peer pressure for the scrolls most likely won't be a problem
Untitled94-20220821210211.pngUntitled94-20220821210121.pngUntitled94-20220821210005.png
@EiraoLaska

I kind of explained it more in one of my replies to another player.
Quote:
What I'm saying is that, for me personally, watching my LGBTQ+ siblings having to pay for something that makes them happy is...I don't know. It's upsetting in a way that maybe I'm not verbalizing well? It certainly feels like a monetization issue, which is probably why I made that comparison. Is it? Not really, for the reasons you stated. That it's just a pose change scroll.

But I think a large part of that is that the pose was tied to the dragon's gender for so long that it's become ingrained in me ( and maybe others! ) that certain poses are certain genders. Perhaps this is a good time to re-evaluate my own gender expectations and norms in digital settings!
@EiraoLaska

I kind of explained it more in one of my replies to another player.
Quote:
What I'm saying is that, for me personally, watching my LGBTQ+ siblings having to pay for something that makes them happy is...I don't know. It's upsetting in a way that maybe I'm not verbalizing well? It certainly feels like a monetization issue, which is probably why I made that comparison. Is it? Not really, for the reasons you stated. That it's just a pose change scroll.

But I think a large part of that is that the pose was tied to the dragon's gender for so long that it's become ingrained in me ( and maybe others! ) that certain poses are certain genders. Perhaps this is a good time to re-evaluate my own gender expectations and norms in digital settings!
fqn8lLh.png
@JackiLynx

Never too many cooks! The more you add to the pot, the tastier and filling the soup is!

That being said, I'd like to think so. My HOPE is that it doesn't become this big peer pressure or gatekeeping issue. But, naturally, I have some Concerns regarding that. I think this is a good community, and a lot of the responses I'm getting here further prove it. I just hope we continue to keep that amicability as the site grows.
@JackiLynx

Never too many cooks! The more you add to the pot, the tastier and filling the soup is!

That being said, I'd like to think so. My HOPE is that it doesn't become this big peer pressure or gatekeeping issue. But, naturally, I have some Concerns regarding that. I think this is a good community, and a lot of the responses I'm getting here further prove it. I just hope we continue to keep that amicability as the site grows.
fqn8lLh.png
Honestly gem inflation might be my biggest issue with the update asdsfdgfhg as someone who's good at making treasure and not gems and needs that exchange :')

But on topic, I do think waves of the "trans dragons finally!" is mostly just excitement, and will eventually subside/not result in community judgement (.... i really *hope* anyways)
I know a lot of people, lgbtq and not, with trans dragons that don't give a flying fish about pose and markers, and will continue to do so, I'm certainly one of them xD
But it *is* nice to have an option for some of them yknow? Just to give them something like that second horn or beard or in my case, the longer wildclaw horns I know that character would be happy with. The vast majority of my kids will probably remain the same though, tis just nice

And outside of that I'm thrilled I no longer have to worry about which pose my primal projects might come out as :joy:
Honestly gem inflation might be my biggest issue with the update asdsfdgfhg as someone who's good at making treasure and not gems and needs that exchange :')

But on topic, I do think waves of the "trans dragons finally!" is mostly just excitement, and will eventually subside/not result in community judgement (.... i really *hope* anyways)
I know a lot of people, lgbtq and not, with trans dragons that don't give a flying fish about pose and markers, and will continue to do so, I'm certainly one of them xD
But it *is* nice to have an option for some of them yknow? Just to give them something like that second horn or beard or in my case, the longer wildclaw horns I know that character would be happy with. The vast majority of my kids will probably remain the same though, tis just nice

And outside of that I'm thrilled I no longer have to worry about which pose my primal projects might come out as :joy:
adopt.pngxxxxxxxx2z8Ghkx.png
No one's identity is being monetized and claiming otherwise is insulting in my personal opinion. No one is being forced to pay actual hard cash.
Gems are not even hard to get for the most casual of players. Everyone and their mom sells and buys gems. And every other feature on the site asks you to pay some treasure.
Please don't paint problems on the wall where there are none now that we finally have the dang option to do this to begin with.
Sincerely, a fellow non-binary person.
No one's identity is being monetized and claiming otherwise is insulting in my personal opinion. No one is being forced to pay actual hard cash.
Gems are not even hard to get for the most casual of players. Everyone and their mom sells and buys gems. And every other feature on the site asks you to pay some treasure.
Please don't paint problems on the wall where there are none now that we finally have the dang option to do this to begin with.
Sincerely, a fellow non-binary person.
STW9f2s.png
@Munchcatto

"Gems aren't that hard to get even for the most casual of players". Sure. You get one gem a day. If all you do is log on. That would be the most casual player, right? So, by that logic, in just a little over a year, I'll have enough to buy one silhouette scroll.

Secondly, I'm not "painting a problem on the wall" when I'm expressing my opinion. I'm allowed my opinion and you're allowed yours. That's the beauty of the world, isn't it? I said it feels like monetization, and that's how I feel. I'm sorry you find my personal opinion and feelings insulting. But as someone who's identity is constantly questioned and quashed, ignored and debated, forgotten and profited from--- I find that using this in place of a proper gender update may not be giving everyone the representation they deserve. Which is, of course, just my opinion.

If you're happy about this update, then I'm happy for you! Feel free to use it to your heart's content!
@Munchcatto

"Gems aren't that hard to get even for the most casual of players". Sure. You get one gem a day. If all you do is log on. That would be the most casual player, right? So, by that logic, in just a little over a year, I'll have enough to buy one silhouette scroll.

Secondly, I'm not "painting a problem on the wall" when I'm expressing my opinion. I'm allowed my opinion and you're allowed yours. That's the beauty of the world, isn't it? I said it feels like monetization, and that's how I feel. I'm sorry you find my personal opinion and feelings insulting. But as someone who's identity is constantly questioned and quashed, ignored and debated, forgotten and profited from--- I find that using this in place of a proper gender update may not be giving everyone the representation they deserve. Which is, of course, just my opinion.

If you're happy about this update, then I'm happy for you! Feel free to use it to your heart's content!
fqn8lLh.png
@bellyacher

That is a needlessy literal take on my statement. The most casual player who still wants to purchase things might do fairgrounds or breed dragons to sell at fodder floor because that is hardly any effort and possible on any platform that runs the site.
If you do nothing but log in, feed, log out for a year I don't see you having drive to make any changes to your dragons. And in that case, no problem not getting the scroll, is there?
Again, same boat. Including people online and IRL stepping on me and my identity left and right in variably vicious ways. The way you verbalize your opinion makes it come off like this is the unshakeable truth, that your identity, our identity, people's identity is being relentlessy monetized by the staff and we're being gutted for the last few cents we have just to buy something mandatory to our wellbeing and experience on the site.
That is simply not the case.
You don't even need to cap Fairgrounds every day to get a scroll within a week of playing. 400g for a permanent change is perfectly reasonable for even newbies with a little guidance.
There are multiple guides for everything and every way to make money reliably with or without effort and most people are more than happy to guide others that way.
A 'proper gender update' is scarcely feasible the way things are set up in the near future in particular. It would be less daunting to tackle whenever things have settled in well enough that it does not take the tiny team they have ages to make just one new modern breed. People will not wait half a decade to get a new breed without screeching to staff about it and attacking them.
Even just adding one more pose would be an enormous amount of work. Artwork over artwork over artwork for all the apparel, genes, do we get a third hatchling post as well? Skin functionality, how to handle another sex in the deeply ingrained breeding system that is still very much the base of this game.. and yes, you can say just.. add a third *pose* option. But that also simply opens another can of worms about physically enforcing the binary and how that is offensive to intersex people for one example.
This may not be the end all be all to fix any problem people have with this, but likewise it is not profiting viciously off of anyone or their identity. It is a step forward and deserves to be regarded as such.
People thought this alone was entirely impossible.
Instead of stirring the pot how this isn't good enough, I think it'd be a better idea to more loudly voice approval of things, slow as progress may feel, being tackled.
And that is, simply in my personal opinion of things, absolutely not what you did here, and that's what I very much take issue with.
That said, I feel that we both, in the end, are too adamant about our stance and how we express it, so I do not feel inclined to discuss this any further.
You're free not to use the update and not celebrate it, and I'm free to be happy and use it. You're free to think what you want, and so am I.
And that is that.
Don't bother pinging me for any further reply as I will not pay it any mind.
@bellyacher

That is a needlessy literal take on my statement. The most casual player who still wants to purchase things might do fairgrounds or breed dragons to sell at fodder floor because that is hardly any effort and possible on any platform that runs the site.
If you do nothing but log in, feed, log out for a year I don't see you having drive to make any changes to your dragons. And in that case, no problem not getting the scroll, is there?
Again, same boat. Including people online and IRL stepping on me and my identity left and right in variably vicious ways. The way you verbalize your opinion makes it come off like this is the unshakeable truth, that your identity, our identity, people's identity is being relentlessy monetized by the staff and we're being gutted for the last few cents we have just to buy something mandatory to our wellbeing and experience on the site.
That is simply not the case.
You don't even need to cap Fairgrounds every day to get a scroll within a week of playing. 400g for a permanent change is perfectly reasonable for even newbies with a little guidance.
There are multiple guides for everything and every way to make money reliably with or without effort and most people are more than happy to guide others that way.
A 'proper gender update' is scarcely feasible the way things are set up in the near future in particular. It would be less daunting to tackle whenever things have settled in well enough that it does not take the tiny team they have ages to make just one new modern breed. People will not wait half a decade to get a new breed without screeching to staff about it and attacking them.
Even just adding one more pose would be an enormous amount of work. Artwork over artwork over artwork for all the apparel, genes, do we get a third hatchling post as well? Skin functionality, how to handle another sex in the deeply ingrained breeding system that is still very much the base of this game.. and yes, you can say just.. add a third *pose* option. But that also simply opens another can of worms about physically enforcing the binary and how that is offensive to intersex people for one example.
This may not be the end all be all to fix any problem people have with this, but likewise it is not profiting viciously off of anyone or their identity. It is a step forward and deserves to be regarded as such.
People thought this alone was entirely impossible.
Instead of stirring the pot how this isn't good enough, I think it'd be a better idea to more loudly voice approval of things, slow as progress may feel, being tackled.
And that is, simply in my personal opinion of things, absolutely not what you did here, and that's what I very much take issue with.
That said, I feel that we both, in the end, are too adamant about our stance and how we express it, so I do not feel inclined to discuss this any further.
You're free not to use the update and not celebrate it, and I'm free to be happy and use it. You're free to think what you want, and so am I.
And that is that.
Don't bother pinging me for any further reply as I will not pay it any mind.
STW9f2s.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8