Back

Dragon Share

Show off your favorite dragons.
TOPIC | [CLOSED] LorebuildingEvent:Animal Planet
Tuesday / Day 3

Describe how your clan interacts with animal companions:

Most dragons choose to ignore animal companions because they're really too small and boring compared to familiars, like... The snake could hang on the branch for almost a whole day. But those who love small creatures, like Acorn and a few others, think they're just as good companions as familiars.

Is there a "typical" way dragons adopt them?

That's usually a surprise. The dragons in charge of the hunt are always chasing after escaped creatures, so when there's a cute rabbit or fluffy chinchilla just standing there staring at you and coming towards you, you know they're different, so why not adopt them?

Does your clan's location affect keeping animal companions?

Not really. Although our clan is not a luxurious palace where we can live in super comfy, but we are certainly happy to be surrounded by nature and hugged by the breeze.

How do they become "friends, not food" in your clan (or is it dragon-dependent)?

There is always enough food in the clan's stockpile to go around, and a few less animals are legal! So the other members acquiesce to Acorn's "rescue" of the poor little creatures and he try to keep convincing them that they can be part of the animal keeper.
Tuesday / Day 3

Describe how your clan interacts with animal companions:

Most dragons choose to ignore animal companions because they're really too small and boring compared to familiars, like... The snake could hang on the branch for almost a whole day. But those who love small creatures, like Acorn and a few others, think they're just as good companions as familiars.

That's usually a surprise. The dragons in charge of the hunt are always chasing after escaped creatures, so when there's a cute rabbit or fluffy chinchilla just standing there staring at you and coming towards you, you know they're different, so why not adopt them?

Not really. Although our clan is not a luxurious palace where we can live in super comfy, but we are certainly happy to be surrounded by nature and hugged by the breeze.

How do they become "friends, not food" in your clan (or is it dragon-dependent)?

There is always enough food in the clan's stockpile to go around, and a few less animals are legal! So the other members acquiesce to Acorn's "rescue" of the poor little creatures and he try to keep convincing them that they can be part of the animal keeper.
96535394.png 96376914.png 8XidJCJ.png
she/her
Active at FR 00~06
Wishlist
Subspecies-Opal Sculptures
Art Shop-WIP

I LOVE UNDERTIDES
[center][b]Sunday[/b][/center] Dragon Name & Link or Widget: [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/75225024][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/752251/75225024_350.png[/img][/url] This is [b]Flareon[/b] Current Flight: Water Clan Name (if applicable): Clan Aquaurora Dragon's Clan Role (if applicable): Familiar Keeper
Sunday

Dragon Name & Link or Widget:
75225024_350.png
This is Flareon
Current Flight:
Water
Clan Name (if applicable):
Clan Aquaurora
Dragon's Clan Role (if applicable):
Familiar Keeper
V9b7SpH.png Check out my Elemental Sneks project!
[center][b]Monday[/b][/center] [b]Animal Companion/Friend:[/b] [item=brown chicken] [b]Name (if applicable):[/b] Buffy [b]How they came to be with your dragon:[/b] One day an obviously ill chicken was brought into the kitchens. The [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/10142190]chef[/url] didn't want to cook something that might spread disease among the dragons who might eat it, so she asked [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/75225024]Flareon[/url] to nurse it back to health. Flareon was already the familiar keeper, so she agreed. By the time the chicken recovered from its disease, Flareon knew there was no way she was giving it back. And that's how her pet obsession began...
Monday

Animal Companion/Friend:
Brown Chicken
Name (if applicable): Buffy
How they came to be with your dragon: One day an obviously ill chicken was brought into the kitchens. The chef didn't want to cook something that might spread disease among the dragons who might eat it, so she asked Flareon to nurse it back to health. Flareon was already the familiar keeper, so she agreed. By the time the chicken recovered from its disease, Flareon knew there was no way she was giving it back. And that's how her pet obsession began...
Tuesday

Describe how your clan interacts with animal companions. Is there a "typical" way dragons adopt them? Does your clan's location affect keeping animal companions?

My dragons have slightly human-esque palates (especially since Quartz started actually cooking their food). While they do find insects appetizing, they are less likely to enjoy eating carnivores. This means dogs and cats don't taste very good to start with. And then the cuteness factor comes in. The general pattern of thought for the pet-ification of any critter is:

1) "This isn't good to eat/isn't big enough to be worth the time to eat"
2) "It's kind of cute/pretty/fluffy/whatever"
3) "It might be fun to pet whenever I want"
4) "Mine now"

This pattern is unique to the individual dragon, and just because one dragon decides that budgies are pets does not mean that his mate, sibling, parent, child, friend, or roommate does not see them as a snack. So a dragon with a pet is going to have to either keep the thing in his room in a cage (possibly with a sign on it that says "Do Not Eat"), or have it under close personal surveillance at all times. For the most part, though, cats or dogs are safe to wander the clan as long as they have collars (there's always the danger of being stepped on though). A couple of dragons who have bird pets have trained them as couriers, so there's now a general rule in the clan that birds flying within the general living grounds of the clan, including into the caves, are off-limits for consumption. Bird hunting beyond the Training Fields is okay.

A lot of dragons still see tiny animal pets as useless, finding that role filled in their life by their familiar. I mean, we now have a Friend Cockatiel apparel item and a Blushing Tendertiel familiar item. I can't quite imagine that a Centaur and a River Muck have the same level of sapience either. So some familiars in my clan are more companion-like; Quartz in particular has befriended several Serthis and her usual familiar is an Opheodrys Serthis, who is definitely a friend and not a pet. But other familiars are more like pets; Whiffle's hainu and corgis are approximately the same, although the hainu are more intelligent and wild, less easily trained and controlled.
(At the current time in my lore, most dragons unfortunately DO see even the sapient familiars as pets. I'm still working on how to move them forward into the present age of Sornieth.)

Dragons who do not eat meat by nature are more likely to adopt a pet. Plague dragons (by element or breed origin) are considerably less likely to adopt a pet without the pet providing a clear benefit or service to them. Abberations are much more likely to eat anything on sight, so pet-loving dragons avoid them as much as possible.
Tuesday

Describe how your clan interacts with animal companions. Is there a "typical" way dragons adopt them? Does your clan's location affect keeping animal companions?

My dragons have slightly human-esque palates (especially since Quartz started actually cooking their food). While they do find insects appetizing, they are less likely to enjoy eating carnivores. This means dogs and cats don't taste very good to start with. And then the cuteness factor comes in. The general pattern of thought for the pet-ification of any critter is:

1) "This isn't good to eat/isn't big enough to be worth the time to eat"
2) "It's kind of cute/pretty/fluffy/whatever"
3) "It might be fun to pet whenever I want"
4) "Mine now"

This pattern is unique to the individual dragon, and just because one dragon decides that budgies are pets does not mean that his mate, sibling, parent, child, friend, or roommate does not see them as a snack. So a dragon with a pet is going to have to either keep the thing in his room in a cage (possibly with a sign on it that says "Do Not Eat"), or have it under close personal surveillance at all times. For the most part, though, cats or dogs are safe to wander the clan as long as they have collars (there's always the danger of being stepped on though). A couple of dragons who have bird pets have trained them as couriers, so there's now a general rule in the clan that birds flying within the general living grounds of the clan, including into the caves, are off-limits for consumption. Bird hunting beyond the Training Fields is okay.

A lot of dragons still see tiny animal pets as useless, finding that role filled in their life by their familiar. I mean, we now have a Friend Cockatiel apparel item and a Blushing Tendertiel familiar item. I can't quite imagine that a Centaur and a River Muck have the same level of sapience either. So some familiars in my clan are more companion-like; Quartz in particular has befriended several Serthis and her usual familiar is an Opheodrys Serthis, who is definitely a friend and not a pet. But other familiars are more like pets; Whiffle's hainu and corgis are approximately the same, although the hainu are more intelligent and wild, less easily trained and controlled.
(At the current time in my lore, most dragons unfortunately DO see even the sapient familiars as pets. I'm still working on how to move them forward into the present age of Sornieth.)

Dragons who do not eat meat by nature are more likely to adopt a pet. Plague dragons (by element or breed origin) are considerably less likely to adopt a pet without the pet providing a clear benefit or service to them. Abberations are much more likely to eat anything on sight, so pet-loving dragons avoid them as much as possible.
[b]Tuesday / Day 3[/b] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/77366061][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/773661/77366061_350.png[/img][/url] [b]Describe how your clan interacts with animal companions. Is there a "typical" way dragons adopt them? Does your clan's location affect keeping animal companions?[/b] The clan resides in Windswept Plateau, on a farmland. They grow crops, but they also raise fish and insects for consumption. Tis the circle of life, but sometimes they get attached and keep a few as pets. Hatchlings are taught to appreciate where their food comes from. [b]Bonus question, inspired by a post: How do they become "friends, not food" in your clan (or is it dragon-dependent)?[/b] :D It’s dragon-dependent! Egg eats Insects and Meat, he just does not like to eat the live and wiggly ones. I got a Wildclaw that has pet chickens; the clan leader is a Fae and eats insects, but they hoard a bunch of Verdemoth (349 of them) and Hawkmoth (409), and everyone knows those are off limits.
Tuesday / Day 3

77366061_350.png

The clan resides in Windswept Plateau, on a farmland. They grow crops, but they also raise fish and insects for consumption. Tis the circle of life, but sometimes they get attached and keep a few as pets. Hatchlings are taught to appreciate where their food comes from.

Bonus question, inspired by a post: How do they become "friends, not food" in your clan (or is it dragon-dependent)?
:D
It’s dragon-dependent! Egg eats Insects and Meat, he just does not like to eat the live and wiggly ones.

I got a Wildclaw that has pet chickens; the clan leader is a Fae and eats insects, but they hoard a bunch of Verdemoth (349 of them) and Hawkmoth (409), and everyone knows those are off limits.
85074958.png
UIuKM01.png
YMPbu9R.png
HxcMlGn.png
JvUa9ma.png
hOwQuFI.png

FObX7rS.png
LWTq9T9.png
Tuesday

My Clan absolutely loves animals, and are extremely strict towards the safety of any animal companions. For general safety, it is recommended that any animals considered a companion animal keep some form of tag or collar for identification, and on Clan grounds there is a strict no hunting rule.

Adoption of animals depends entirely on the dragon themselves. The Clan itself is a known safe haven for dragons from all walks of life, and this applies to their animals, familiars and all companion creatures that come on to the main Clan grounds and homesteads. Hurting, stealing or any negative action is punishable by exile from Clan boundaries. As the Clan homes are located both above water and below the ocean, there is no limitation on what creatures can join the Clan, and all are actively invited to join.
Tuesday

My Clan absolutely loves animals, and are extremely strict towards the safety of any animal companions. For general safety, it is recommended that any animals considered a companion animal keep some form of tag or collar for identification, and on Clan grounds there is a strict no hunting rule.

Adoption of animals depends entirely on the dragon themselves. The Clan itself is a known safe haven for dragons from all walks of life, and this applies to their animals, familiars and all companion creatures that come on to the main Clan grounds and homesteads. Hurting, stealing or any negative action is punishable by exile from Clan boundaries. As the Clan homes are located both above water and below the ocean, there is no limitation on what creatures can join the Clan, and all are actively invited to join.
waterb1.png H9klr6C.png IMG-7708.png
7UXlQKU.gif
M7v69JN.png
[quote=Tuesday]Describe how your clan interacts with animal companions. Is there a "typical" way dragons adopt them? Does your clan's location affect keeping animal companions? Bonus question, inspired by a post: How do they become "friends, not food" in your clan (or is it dragon-dependent)?[/quote] Animal companions tend to be treated in a similar way to familiars in my clan. How a dragon adopts them depends partly on location, partly on the dragon themselves. For example, dragons in the City Proper of Sailuma may find shelters that rescue these animals from becoming a midnight snack, while drakes in the Outskirts of the territory (located along the Plague border of the Starwood) often find they like the spunk of a wild animal and decide to adopt them. If confronted about the fact they base their lives around survival (and how most of these creatures would fare better as a meal than a companion), they usually say it's for their mental health. Location affects the process in some ways. As mentioned above, the city itself has shelters to care for these companions until they find a forever home, while those in the wilder sections of the territory just pick them up from the wild itself (only if the companion wants to live with them, of course). Some locations require strict training of a drake's companions, such as the Grand Archives. Most of the books there are ancient, and a pomeranian with the zoomies could destroy centuries of work. Other places aren't as strict, though they still have rules. The Divided Spire has some general rules about animal companions, though some rules may be added for individual classrooms if necessary (Zerah's class, for example, requires companions to remain within reach of the drake they're tied to, while Ariel encourages her students to let their animals explore the classroom unless they have reason to believe their companion doesn't get along well with others). It can be a bit odd when dragons need to eat meat (or on rare occasions seafood), but most drakes in the city and archives will try to avoid common pet animals in favor of other creatures for meals. Those who specialize in cooking will even do their best to ensure their dishes can't be mistaken as one of those animals. Those in the Outskirts may have a different perspective, but they ensure their catches don't belong to anyone in the area before they dig in. Everyone will at least respect the companions of other dragons. As for the bonus question, it still depends on location. The city has a list of notable pet companions, the Spire keeps an updated list of known pets of both students and professors, the Archives note every companion that enters and exits the premises, the Garden and Ruins warn visitors to keep companions close because of the natural wildlife being dangerous for them, and the Outskirts ensure they know every creature tied to their fellows. What really determines this, however, are individuals. The city list is updated when drakes come forward with their own new pets, and some students certainly see some of the companions of others as a good midday snack if the companion was with them instead. As for the Outskirts, if one companion passes, the others note that they can't mistake this animal in the wild as one of theirs anymore, and it gets added to the menu again.
Tuesday wrote:

Bonus question, inspired by a post: How do they become "friends, not food" in your clan (or is it dragon-dependent)?
Animal companions tend to be treated in a similar way to familiars in my clan. How a dragon adopts them depends partly on location, partly on the dragon themselves. For example, dragons in the City Proper of Sailuma may find shelters that rescue these animals from becoming a midnight snack, while drakes in the Outskirts of the territory (located along the Plague border of the Starwood) often find they like the spunk of a wild animal and decide to adopt them. If confronted about the fact they base their lives around survival (and how most of these creatures would fare better as a meal than a companion), they usually say it's for their mental health.

Location affects the process in some ways. As mentioned above, the city itself has shelters to care for these companions until they find a forever home, while those in the wilder sections of the territory just pick them up from the wild itself (only if the companion wants to live with them, of course). Some locations require strict training of a drake's companions, such as the Grand Archives. Most of the books there are ancient, and a pomeranian with the zoomies could destroy centuries of work. Other places aren't as strict, though they still have rules. The Divided Spire has some general rules about animal companions, though some rules may be added for individual classrooms if necessary (Zerah's class, for example, requires companions to remain within reach of the drake they're tied to, while Ariel encourages her students to let their animals explore the classroom unless they have reason to believe their companion doesn't get along well with others).

It can be a bit odd when dragons need to eat meat (or on rare occasions seafood), but most drakes in the city and archives will try to avoid common pet animals in favor of other creatures for meals. Those who specialize in cooking will even do their best to ensure their dishes can't be mistaken as one of those animals. Those in the Outskirts may have a different perspective, but they ensure their catches don't belong to anyone in the area before they dig in. Everyone will at least respect the companions of other dragons.

As for the bonus question, it still depends on location. The city has a list of notable pet companions, the Spire keeps an updated list of known pets of both students and professors, the Archives note every companion that enters and exits the premises, the Garden and Ruins warn visitors to keep companions close because of the natural wildlife being dangerous for them, and the Outskirts ensure they know every creature tied to their fellows. What really determines this, however, are individuals. The city list is updated when drakes come forward with their own new pets, and some students certainly see some of the companions of others as a good midday snack if the companion was with them instead. As for the Outskirts, if one companion passes, the others note that they can't mistake this animal in the wild as one of theirs anymore, and it gets added to the menu again.
1ulURsc.gif

sgriffin-3988-7_44_47_7_5_1.png
Pklc9an.png
Clockwork
08atrGc.pngJ7D1quC.png
FXwV0CB.pngFObX7rS.pngSaronai's Free Star Lighting Raffle. Over 3kg in prizes. Ends February 1st. Click to learn more!
Eclipse
LCqISMP.pngDXTcInl.png
11efmKl.pngxjB7OSe.png
CnMSNyK.pngYMPbu9R.png
RFRWPUM.png
wVdpf6V.png

IBK-63.png
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Former First Column Spacer ^^^^^^^^^
Describe how your clan interacts with animal companions.
My clan lives in harmony with nature, as Beacon’s original home was very attuned to nature.
No, not really! A dragon will often just bring a random animal they found home. If their mate doesn’t object, then they keep it!
Nope! My clan is located in a very peaceful forest/grove hybrid kinda thing.
A majority of my dragons actually eat mostly Insects and Plants! Meat is not a big part of their diet.
My clan lives in harmony with nature, as Beacon’s original home was very attuned to nature.
No, not really! A dragon will often just bring a random animal they found home. If their mate doesn’t object, then they keep it!
Nope! My clan is located in a very peaceful forest/grove hybrid kinda thing.
A majority of my dragons actually eat mostly Insects and Plants! Meat is not a big part of their diet.
2xvYPbw.png

» Octavia

- Skin Shop
- Art Shop

» FR +1

- Please always ping me!
teardrop_small.png
As a clan, they are indifferent towards the animals of the Tangled Wood, very "don't bother me and I won't bother you" but there are no rules about how to treat the local fauna.

Either an animal wanders into the clan grounds and a dragon finds themself endeared to it and keeps them, or they form a bond while out-and-about, returning as friends

Sometimes. If the animal requires a large amount of sunlight, they usually aren't kept long, as the clan grounds is shaded at best and blots out the sun at worst.

Very dragon dependant, those like Briar or Bluebottle wouldn't hesitate to use a critter as a potion or alchemy ingredient, and the clan leader would sooner sell his scales than give up his beloved bloody feasts.
Whereas Dustnose and Elowen find themselves grimacing when they see their clanmates munching on a bird or something, triple-checking the servings to make sure none of their friends ended up on the plate (thankfully no incidents so far)
As a clan, they are indifferent towards the animals of the Tangled Wood, very "don't bother me and I won't bother you" but there are no rules about how to treat the local fauna.

Either an animal wanders into the clan grounds and a dragon finds themself endeared to it and keeps them, or they form a bond while out-and-about, returning as friends

Sometimes. If the animal requires a large amount of sunlight, they usually aren't kept long, as the clan grounds is shaded at best and blots out the sun at worst.

Very dragon dependant, those like Briar or Bluebottle wouldn't hesitate to use a critter as a potion or alchemy ingredient, and the clan leader would sooner sell his scales than give up his beloved bloody feasts.
Whereas Dustnose and Elowen find themselves grimacing when they see their clanmates munching on a bird or something, triple-checking the servings to make sure none of their friends ended up on the plate (thankfully no incidents so far)
tn0RSo5.png
9hqcHsy.png
56yqAPu.png
G8AyR6r.png
QUIpVFE.png
YMPbu9R.png
they/them
8+ FR
A large eyed creature bounds at the viewer, rainbow striped cape flowing across its back. Rainbow hearts surround it.
......................................... HW4lpxl.png
7UXlQKU.gif
My dragons interact with other animals more like...friends than pets, so there isn't a typical adoption pattern. As for whether the location of the clan affects the life of the animals, we all know that the weather in the ice field is very cold, but! But my dragons use magic to ensure that their friends have a comfortable living environment.

Bonus question (not required)
, inspired by a post: How do they become "friends, not food" in your clan (or is it dragon-dependent)?

Well, my clan is actually dragons that don't even eat, they do eat occasionally, but only for the taste, and they value their friendship more than enjoying the taste of the animals.
My dragons interact with other animals more like...friends than pets, so there isn't a typical adoption pattern. As for whether the location of the clan affects the life of the animals, we all know that the weather in the ice field is very cold, but! But my dragons use magic to ensure that their friends have a comfortable living environment.

Bonus question (not required)
, inspired by a post: How do they become "friends, not food" in your clan (or is it dragon-dependent)?

Well, my clan is actually dragons that don't even eat, they do eat occasionally, but only for the taste, and they value their friendship more than enjoying the taste of the animals.