Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [LORE] Robin’s Records and Roster
1 2 3
A small ping for @Petall since you expressed interest in when I started up writing my clan lore!
A small ping for @Petall since you expressed interest in when I started up writing my clan lore!
tSKOR3g.png
- Wind Subspecies Hub
- Painted Clouds
- Foo's Eye Guardians
- Wishlist
- Clan Lore

Oooo, it looks as though there is some exciting stuff going on, I can't wait to see where this story goes!
Oooo, it looks as though there is some exciting stuff going on, I can't wait to see where this story goes!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall There's definitely a long road ahead of them, with a lot of shenanigans along the way! I'm excited to finally write it all out!
@Petall There's definitely a long road ahead of them, with a lot of shenanigans along the way! I'm excited to finally write it all out!
tSKOR3g.png
- Wind Subspecies Hub
- Painted Clouds
- Foo's Eye Guardians
- Wishlist
- Clan Lore

[center][font="OptimusPrinceps"][size=5][b][u]1: A New Home[/font] ----- The clan's move to the Windswept Plateau is a long one—not due to any excess of distance, but because the clan is simply too weak to move quickly or at any increased pace. Crossing the water was an all-day peril on it's own. By time they reach the land inundated with Wind, most of the clan members are exhausted—including Zaia and Maudy, who had taken it upon themselves to secure much of the food for the clan in their fellows' weakness. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/7414][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/scry?sdid=3996201&skin=0&apparel=814&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/7415][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=33&bodygene=0&breed=6&element=11&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=63&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=40&auth=68a02b88e2bfa8ab5833dc29fbda97de47dd1030&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/url] As they all settle in for the night, huddled around small fire or in makeshift tents carried by those with enough strength to do so, Zaia tucks herself against Maudy's side and sighs. The Tundra tilts his head at her, concern clear in his keen eyes. "What's wrong, Zaia? I would think you'd be happier to finally be here." She lifts her head to look at him, frowning, "I am, don't get me wrong. I can already tell that the clean air and cooler temperatures are doing wonders—and we're only just across the water from the Waste. I just..." She looks down at her crossed paws. "Are we doing the right thing, leaving the Flamecaller's lands? We may have wanted to leave Her Exalted, but... we have always been faithful to Her. What if this isn't what She meant? I'm worried we have gotten ourselves into a mess, leaving the lands She gave us and coming here, where we don't know if there's a place for us." Maudy ponders her words for a long moment, Zaia waiting patiently despite her nerves. Finally, he shakes out his mane and responds: "I think that the Flamecaller is harsh, but not cruel. She knew of the hardship our clan faced, and knew we would want to do what was best for them. I think She did not want our allegiance to be divided. I believe that She wanted us to feel free to leave, if that is what we deemed necessary." He shakes his head, ruffling his mane and letting out a contented sigh. "As for a place for us... I believe in you. You are strong and determined. You will find a place for us. I'm sure there is one. Just follow your instinct. It's never steered us wrong." She looks up at him almost mournfully, unsure whether he has forgotten or refuses to acknowledge that joining the Flamecaller's Exalted was [i]her[/i] idea. And a disastrous one, in the end. "Rest, for now, Zaia." Maudy wraps a wing around her, pulling her close, "Tomorrow we shall see where the winds take us." ----- Zaia does not trust her gut. Not at first. It pulls her toward the Zephyr Steppes, but the land there is too peaceful, too quiet. Surely all of the good lands there have been claimed. So she spends some days leading the clan aimlessly around the flats near the Gale Sanctum, until finally they find themselves in the city at the foot of the Aergate. She can hear her clanmates muttering, wondering if this is a clan or a gathering place. If this will be home. But it still doesn't feel right. As she looks up at the stone structure, then to the Cloudsong beyond, flying high above the ground, she once again feels that tug. That pull that draws her back the way they came, towards the Sea of a Thousand Currents and the steppes that border them. She turns away from the Aergate. Some of her clanmates decide to stay in the bustling city, tired of the journey. The rest join her as they put it behind them and once again cross the open fields that span much of the central area of the Windswept Plateau. Finally, many many days after first crossing the waters between the lands of Fire and Wind, they cross the far shallower waters into the region known as the Zephyr Steppes, and Zaia finally feels as if she's done something right. The clan is weary, but they are stronger now than when they first started their journey. She pushes them just a little farther, up one cliff, then the next, until they reach a sort of hollow. The "step" they're on dips down again, before rising to the height of the next cliff face, forming a safe, sheltered place where her clan can rest. She leads them carefully into the hollow, making sure they're settled, before taking off to scout the area and clear her mind. Her first order of business is to search for any signs of another clan living here. If her sight fails her, she can send Maudy out later to see if he smells anything. This place feels [i]right[/i] but she can't believe it to be true. It's [i]too[/i] good. Surely someone already lives here? ----- [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/11628148][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/116282/11628148_350.png[/img][/url] She is aware of all that is around her, of the new dragons come into her lands, of the Mirror racing wildly through the bamboo. But suddenly, that awareness shifts. It shrinks, but becomes sharper. She is suddenly aware of the sensation of grass beneath paws, wind ruffling feathers. She smells the faint salt of the not-so-distant ocean, and opens her eyes to a beautiful sunset beyond the Twisting Crescendo. Puzzled, she glances down at gold-veined paws—[i]her[/i] paws?—and gives them a test, striding purposefully in a circle around a small copse of bamboo. It's a strange sensation, walking. But familiar. She feels a command in her chest. Not words, but an intent. She must find the Mirror in her territory. ----- [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3288437/1#post_55529981]<<Prev[/url] || [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3288437/2#post_55547919]Next >> [/url]----- @pinglist-12261 ----- A bit of a doozy, I uh. Get very wordy. (Edit: I say that, but this isn't even the longest thing I've written ,and I'm fairly sure both the chapters before and after are longer? Either way, this aint gonna be the longest thing I write here, by far) Probably another one incoming shortly! I decided to split this one into two because of how long it was getting!
1: A New Home

The clan's move to the Windswept Plateau is a long one—not due to any excess of distance, but because the clan is simply too weak to move quickly or at any increased pace. Crossing the water was an all-day peril on it's own. By time they reach the land inundated with Wind, most of the clan members are exhausted—including Zaia and Maudy, who had taken it upon themselves to secure much of the food for the clan in their fellows' weakness.

scry?sdid=3996201&skin=0&apparel=814&xt=dressing.png

dragon?age=1&body=33&bodygene=0&breed=6&element=11&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=63&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=40&auth=68a02b88e2bfa8ab5833dc29fbda97de47dd1030&dummyext=prev.png

As they all settle in for the night, huddled around small fire or in makeshift tents carried by those with enough strength to do so, Zaia tucks herself against Maudy's side and sighs. The Tundra tilts his head at her, concern clear in his keen eyes. "What's wrong, Zaia? I would think you'd be happier to finally be here."

She lifts her head to look at him, frowning, "I am, don't get me wrong. I can already tell that the clean air and cooler temperatures are doing wonders—and we're only just across the water from the Waste. I just..." She looks down at her crossed paws. "Are we doing the right thing, leaving the Flamecaller's lands? We may have wanted to leave Her Exalted, but... we have always been faithful to Her. What if this isn't what She meant? I'm worried we have gotten ourselves into a mess, leaving the lands She gave us and coming here, where we don't know if there's a place for us."

Maudy ponders her words for a long moment, Zaia waiting patiently despite her nerves. Finally, he shakes out his mane and responds: "I think that the Flamecaller is harsh, but not cruel. She knew of the hardship our clan faced, and knew we would want to do what was best for them. I think She did not want our allegiance to be divided. I believe that She wanted us to feel free to leave, if that is what we deemed necessary." He shakes his head, ruffling his mane and letting out a contented sigh. "As for a place for us... I believe in you. You are strong and determined. You will find a place for us. I'm sure there is one. Just follow your instinct. It's never steered us wrong."

She looks up at him almost mournfully, unsure whether he has forgotten or refuses to acknowledge that joining the Flamecaller's Exalted was her idea. And a disastrous one, in the end.

"Rest, for now, Zaia." Maudy wraps a wing around her, pulling her close, "Tomorrow we shall see where the winds take us."

Zaia does not trust her gut. Not at first. It pulls her toward the Zephyr Steppes, but the land there is too peaceful, too quiet. Surely all of the good lands there have been claimed. So she spends some days leading the clan aimlessly around the flats near the Gale Sanctum, until finally they find themselves in the city at the foot of the Aergate. She can hear her clanmates muttering, wondering if this is a clan or a gathering place. If this will be home.

But it still doesn't feel right. As she looks up at the stone structure, then to the Cloudsong beyond, flying high above the ground, she once again feels that tug. That pull that draws her back the way they came, towards the Sea of a Thousand Currents and the steppes that border them.

She turns away from the Aergate. Some of her clanmates decide to stay in the bustling city, tired of the journey. The rest join her as they put it behind them and once again cross the open fields that span much of the central area of the Windswept Plateau.

Finally, many many days after first crossing the waters between the lands of Fire and Wind, they cross the far shallower waters into the region known as the Zephyr Steppes, and Zaia finally feels as if she's done something right. The clan is weary, but they are stronger now than when they first started their journey. She pushes them just a little farther, up one cliff, then the next, until they reach a sort of hollow. The "step" they're on dips down again, before rising to the height of the next cliff face, forming a safe, sheltered place where her clan can rest. She leads them carefully into the hollow, making sure they're settled, before taking off to scout the area and clear her mind.

Her first order of business is to search for any signs of another clan living here. If her sight fails her, she can send Maudy out later to see if he smells anything. This place feels right but she can't believe it to be true. It's too good. Surely someone already lives here?

11628148_350.png

She is aware of all that is around her, of the new dragons come into her lands, of the Mirror racing wildly through the bamboo. But suddenly, that awareness shifts. It shrinks, but becomes sharper. She is suddenly aware of the sensation of grass beneath paws, wind ruffling feathers. She smells the faint salt of the not-so-distant ocean, and opens her eyes to a beautiful sunset beyond the Twisting Crescendo. Puzzled, she glances down at gold-veined paws—her paws?—and gives them a test, striding purposefully in a circle around a small copse of bamboo. It's a strange sensation, walking. But familiar.

She feels a command in her chest. Not words, but an intent. She must find the Mirror in her territory.

<<Prev || Next >>

@Wayward Winds Clan Lore

A bit of a doozy, I uh. Get very wordy.
(Edit: I say that, but this isn't even the longest thing I've written ,and I'm fairly sure both the chapters before and after are longer? Either way, this aint gonna be the longest thing I write here, by far)

Probably another one incoming shortly! I decided to split this one into two because of how long it was getting!
tSKOR3g.png
- Wind Subspecies Hub
- Painted Clouds
- Foo's Eye Guardians
- Wishlist
- Clan Lore

[center][font="OptimusPrinceps"][size=5][b][u]2: Wayward Winds[/font] ----- [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/7414][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/scry?sdid=3996201&skin=0&apparel=814&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/11628148][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/116282/11628148_350.png[/img][/url] The appearance of another dragon is not unwelcome, for Zaia—in fact, it is expected. But she expected a warrior or guard, not... a seer, draped in cloths with the wind gently blowing through the bamboo chimes hanging from her wing. Careful to not take too aggressive a stance, Zaia dips her head. "My apologies for intruding upon your territory. My clan and I are seeking lands of our own, but we are merely passing through. If we might just stay the night, we will be gone by—" "You are indeed in my territory," the Skydancer responds, almost distantly, as if only half-hearing Zaia. The Mirror flattens herself close to the ground, berating herself for thinking the Zephyr Steppes were ever a good idea. "Then let me again confer my deepest apologies. I will return to my clan and tell them to pack up immediately—" She is stopped by a sharp look from the Skydancer, but the posture is not aggressive, it is... confused? "I did not say you needed to leave." The factual statement is so blunt, so clear, it almost seems as if spoken by a different dragon. But she continues. "You are indeed in my territory," she repeats, "but for long have I lived here alone. Your clan may reside here as long as you please." Zaia frantically searches the Skydancer's words, tries to search her face, but finds no deceit in what she says, and can see no glimpse of her expression. In fact... Straightening up, Zaia leans a bit closer, frowning. The dragon has almost no heat signature at all. If she closed her seeing eyes, she'd almost be unable to tell anyone was standing before her. As her confused expression deepens, the Skydancer misplaces her concerns and waves them away with a paw. "Worry not, I bear no grudge against you and yours. To turn down those in need would be to go against all that I am." Suddenly, it hits Zaia. She had heard tales of spirits of the land, watching over places and regions all across Sornieth. But never had she heard of any interacting directly with a dragon, let alone having a physical form. Inclining her head respectfully, she asks, "Are you... the guardian of the Zephyr Steppes?" The dragon before her chuckles, shaking her head, "Nothing so grand, I'm afraid. I merely watch over this little home of mine that you've stumbled upon." "Well, I did not wish to intrude. My clan and I can be on our way in the morning, if you might allow us some rest in your home." "Nonsense," the Skydancer laughs again, wind running through the chimes on her wing. "You will be staying. You said it yourself, did you not? You are seeking lands of your own." Zaia stumbles over her words as she blurts out, "Yes, but, your territory—" "I have been here since long before your wayward winds blew across this plateau, and I will be here long after they pass. I can share for but a blink of my existence." She extends a paw awkwardly to Zaia, as if offering to shake on it. The Mirror shuffles hesitantly, reluctant to treat this as a business arrangement, but eventually takes the other dragon's paw and shakes it. The Skydancer nods once, seemingly pleased. "For now, while we coexist here: if ever you should want for anything, you need only ask and I shall do all in my power to grant it." Though she can still not see the dragon's face, Zaia swears she senses a wink beyond the veil. "The Windsinger wills it so." She releases Zaia's paw and steps back, leaving the Mirror stunned into silence for a moment as the Skydancer turns to leave. Suddenly, she shakes herself out of it, "Wait, what should I call you?" The lithe dragon pauses and silence falls between them, broken only by the quiet, hollow chimes that hang from her wing. Finally, she responds, "Tiali." Before continuing on her way, until she has left Zaia's sight. ----- The next morning, Zaia calls her remaining clanmates together, gathering them below a rocky outcrop jutting from the taller wall of their hollow. Clambering to the top, she sits back on her haunches and gestures with both forepaws to her gathered fellows. "My friends, my dearest clan—I cannot thank you enough for putting your trust in me these past few weeks. Our journey from the Ashfall Waste and our search for a new home has been hard, I know, but I believe our worries may be at an end." She motions to the walls around them, with ledges set into the cliff faces, and to the open land in the middle, where a waterfall spills into a wide, clear pool of water. "This beautiful hollow where we have taken refuge has been claimed by no clan—until today. If you are willing, I would settle here and begin our rebuilding as the Wayward Winds: a clan where all are welcome, and all are safe, for we have all seen far too much trouble in our time. What say you?" As the small crowd of gathered dragons lets out an affirming cheer with all the energy they have left to them, Zaia looks to her mate sitting at the front of the group, who can only beam proudly at her, confident in his trust in her. And as a gentle breeze dips into the hollow and rustles his fur, Zaia looks up, comforted by the idea that they are being watched over by Tiali—and, by extension, the Windsinger. ----- [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3288437/2#post_55547221]<<Prev[/url] || [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3288437/2#post_55638346]Next>>[/url] ----- @pinglist-12261 ----- AND THERE IT IS the clan has its name :)! From here, I'll probably start exploring the lives of the various dragons that I've decided are part of the pre-Wayward Winds era, and some of their stories (as much as is natural—some may not get too in-depth until later on!), and also touch on some of the events that happen before... well, before Banes got introduced. [emoji=skydancer winking size=1]
2: Wayward Winds

11628148_350.png

The appearance of another dragon is not unwelcome, for Zaia—in fact, it is expected. But she expected a warrior or guard, not... a seer, draped in cloths with the wind gently blowing through the bamboo chimes hanging from her wing. Careful to not take too aggressive a stance, Zaia dips her head. "My apologies for intruding upon your territory. My clan and I are seeking lands of our own, but we are merely passing through. If we might just stay the night, we will be gone by—"

"You are indeed in my territory," the Skydancer responds, almost distantly, as if only half-hearing Zaia. The Mirror flattens herself close to the ground, berating herself for thinking the Zephyr Steppes were ever a good idea.

"Then let me again confer my deepest apologies. I will return to my clan and tell them to pack up immediately—" She is stopped by a sharp look from the Skydancer, but the posture is not aggressive, it is... confused?

"I did not say you needed to leave." The factual statement is so blunt, so clear, it almost seems as if spoken by a different dragon. But she continues. "You are indeed in my territory," she repeats, "but for long have I lived here alone. Your clan may reside here as long as you please."

Zaia frantically searches the Skydancer's words, tries to search her face, but finds no deceit in what she says, and can see no glimpse of her expression. In fact... Straightening up, Zaia leans a bit closer, frowning. The dragon has almost no heat signature at all. If she closed her seeing eyes, she'd almost be unable to tell anyone was standing before her.

As her confused expression deepens, the Skydancer misplaces her concerns and waves them away with a paw. "Worry not, I bear no grudge against you and yours. To turn down those in need would be to go against all that I am."

Suddenly, it hits Zaia. She had heard tales of spirits of the land, watching over places and regions all across Sornieth. But never had she heard of any interacting directly with a dragon, let alone having a physical form. Inclining her head respectfully, she asks, "Are you... the guardian of the Zephyr Steppes?"

The dragon before her chuckles, shaking her head, "Nothing so grand, I'm afraid. I merely watch over this little home of mine that you've stumbled upon."

"Well, I did not wish to intrude. My clan and I can be on our way in the morning, if you might allow us some rest in your home."

"Nonsense," the Skydancer laughs again, wind running through the chimes on her wing. "You will be staying. You said it yourself, did you not? You are seeking lands of your own."

Zaia stumbles over her words as she blurts out, "Yes, but, your territory—"

"I have been here since long before your wayward winds blew across this plateau, and I will be here long after they pass. I can share for but a blink of my existence." She extends a paw awkwardly to Zaia, as if offering to shake on it. The Mirror shuffles hesitantly, reluctant to treat this as a business arrangement, but eventually takes the other dragon's paw and shakes it. The Skydancer nods once, seemingly pleased. "For now, while we coexist here: if ever you should want for anything, you need only ask and I shall do all in my power to grant it." Though she can still not see the dragon's face, Zaia swears she senses a wink beyond the veil. "The Windsinger wills it so."

She releases Zaia's paw and steps back, leaving the Mirror stunned into silence for a moment as the Skydancer turns to leave. Suddenly, she shakes herself out of it, "Wait, what should I call you?"

The lithe dragon pauses and silence falls between them, broken only by the quiet, hollow chimes that hang from her wing. Finally, she responds, "Tiali." Before continuing on her way, until she has left Zaia's sight.

The next morning, Zaia calls her remaining clanmates together, gathering them below a rocky outcrop jutting from the taller wall of their hollow. Clambering to the top, she sits back on her haunches and gestures with both forepaws to her gathered fellows.

"My friends, my dearest clan—I cannot thank you enough for putting your trust in me these past few weeks. Our journey from the Ashfall Waste and our search for a new home has been hard, I know, but I believe our worries may be at an end." She motions to the walls around them, with ledges set into the cliff faces, and to the open land in the middle, where a waterfall spills into a wide, clear pool of water. "This beautiful hollow where we have taken refuge has been claimed by no clan—until today. If you are willing, I would settle here and begin our rebuilding as the Wayward Winds: a clan where all are welcome, and all are safe, for we have all seen far too much trouble in our time. What say you?"

As the small crowd of gathered dragons lets out an affirming cheer with all the energy they have left to them, Zaia looks to her mate sitting at the front of the group, who can only beam proudly at her, confident in his trust in her. And as a gentle breeze dips into the hollow and rustles his fur, Zaia looks up, comforted by the idea that they are being watched over by Tiali—and, by extension, the Windsinger.

<<Prev || Next>>
@Wayward Winds Clan Lore

AND THERE IT IS the clan has its name :)! From here, I'll probably start exploring the lives of the various dragons that I've decided are part of the pre-Wayward Winds era, and some of their stories (as much as is natural—some may not get too in-depth until later on!), and also touch on some of the events that happen before... well, before Banes got introduced.
tSKOR3g.png
- Wind Subspecies Hub
- Painted Clouds
- Foo's Eye Guardians
- Wishlist
- Clan Lore

Oh, I love Zaia! It was sweet to see what led up to choosing the location of this clan, I can't wait to see it grow!
Oh, I love Zaia! It was sweet to see what led up to choosing the location of this clan, I can't wait to see it grow!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall Thank you! I gotta do some hard figuring about who's been here since when, but I'm excited to start sharing some of their stories and daily lives! >:3c
@Petall Thank you! I gotta do some hard figuring about who's been here since when, but I'm excited to start sharing some of their stories and daily lives! >:3c
tSKOR3g.png
- Wind Subspecies Hub
- Painted Clouds
- Foo's Eye Guardians
- Wishlist
- Clan Lore

[center][font="OptimusPrinceps"][size=5][b][u]3: Fire and Ice[/font] ----- [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/10561637][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/105617/10561637_350.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/9832738][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/98328/9832738_350.png[/img][/url] “You’ll start by digging straight up right…” The Skydancer stretches up on his hind legs, placing a front paw on the ceiling of the room to steady himself as he closes his eyes, his hood falling back to his shoulders. His other paw drifts back and forth across the surface of the freshly-packed earth before he twitches his antennae and draws a quick circle on the ceiling, “…here. You should burrow straight into the bamboo, and then just follow the curve and hollow it out from there. Sound doable?” Djinn circles the mark a couple of times, assessing the proposed size of the hole and contemplating the instructions given. Finally, after a moment, she nods firmly. “I think that’s reasonable enough. You said you wanted two of these?” “Yes,” Nix inclines his head. “I’ll mark the other one now. Once you’re done with that one, if you could dig out the second, we’d be incredibly grateful.” Djinn salutes him with a grin, “Of course, anything for you two. I’ll have these burrowed out in a flash!” Without further delay, the dark Spiral starts her work, burrowing straight up through the earth. Meanwhile, Nix makes good on his word and takes a few moments to stop and mark the second project before leaving the room behind. It’s not a long walk up the curving path towards the main part of his den, but its one that requires great care. He is sure that, in time, his paws will become accustomed to the trip and he won’t think twice about it, but for now the corridor is dark, but too steep and narrow for him to light his way with the flames he commands. Its only mercy is that there are no other branches before he reaches the top, it is just a single path. The main part of his lair is much like the lower room: bare and smelling heavily of freshly-carved earth. It is, however, a decent amount larger, and currently much better lit—even setting aside the sunlight pouring in through the uncovered entrance, one cannot deny the light emanated from the fiery form curled in the shallow indentation currently serving as a nest. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/17408454][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/174085/17408454_350.png[/img][/url] Lothair lifts her head as he approaches, “Got everything sorted out with Djinn?” “Yes, she seemed fairly confident in the job. And the more time I spend in that silence, the more confident I am in doing mine.” “You didn’t even hear me?” She asks as she stands and stretches. He shakes his head. “Not in the slightest. Though I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss it.” As Lothair steps over and presses her shoulder against his, he takes a moment to appreciate her and her presence. The roar of her overwhelming fire magic, drowning out the cacophony of noise that normally assails him when around other dragons. Much like the waterfall across the hollow, being in her presence is deafening, but in a calming way. "You won't be saying that when your readings are clearer for the insulation," she retorts, shaking out her wings and sending scatterings of embers from her flaming feathers before tucking her wings close to her sides. Nix doesn't even so much as flinch, too caught up in his adoration for her. "You had mentioned before that you wanted to explain your plans to me for the outside? Why don't you do that while we wait for her to finish?" Nix shakes himself from his thoughts as she trots ahead, molten paws leaving behind clear footprints in the clay-heavy earth. Catching up with her, he gestures with his wings as they exit the den, indicating the area to each side of them. "We'll need to put up some fences, to keep anyone else from digging a den too close. Not that that's much of an issue at the moment..." He glances to where most of the clan is making their homes, halfway across the hollow near the higher wall, "but it may be in the future. As for the bamboo and other grasses..." he motions to the small grove around the entrance to their den, "we'll have to remove enough of it to make the path inward clear, but otherwise I do not mind leaving behind the vast majority. What we do remove we can put to use on the entryway or fences. The two particularly large pieces of bamboo you see there and there, those will be the chimneys." He turns his gaze towards one of the large bamboo he pointed out, antennae twitching, "In fact, Djinn should be emerging from that one about... now." Right on cue, the dark Spiral's head peeks up over the top of the bamboo, scales dirtied but a huge grin on her face. Giving Nix a thumbs-up, she turns and descends once more—presumably to start work on the other hole, though he cannot sense her below. The fact makes him even more confident in the room he's dug out. He continues to talk with Lothair as they wait, moving into more lighthearted chatter by time Djinn emerges from the second indicated bamboo. Perching atop it, she dusts herself off and grins at Nix once more. "All done! Let me know if you need anything else dug out in the future!" Without waiting for a reply, Djinn takes off, darting back towards the clan's main cluster of dens, where he's sure she's got plenty of other jobs waiting. Letting out a sigh, Nix comments, "Well, thanks to her quick work, it's all done now. All that's left is to get a brazier set up down there, stock the shelves with my reagents—" Lothair cuts him off with a mischievous look. "Not so fast. It requires one last test, to be sure that you'll not be disturbed. Wait here." Without another word, she bounds off and disappears into the den. Her presence fades from his perception. He waits for a moment, confused as to her intent, but sees and feels no change. There is still no noise from below. But just as he's about to step inside and ask what her plan is, smoke starts to rise from the hollowed-out bamboo, and any doubts he had are laid to rest. Even as she feeds her flames and lets loose her boundless elemental energy, he still can feel nothing but silence. His readings will be clearer than ever, now. ----- [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/12748623][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=12748623&skin=0&apparel=9452,9221,9820,9224,12928&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/13425312][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/134254/13425312_350.png[/img][/url] “Maudy and Dove are taking a trip to the northern groves today for more building supplies—but Djinn reported seeing a large, potentially desperate pack of gale wolves near there the other day. So, Carina, I’m needing you to scout ahead before they set out, ensure their route and destination are safe, and then remain with them while they gather to prevent anything from happening. If at any point the wolves are a problem, you are to bring them home and report immediately to Nix. He will speak with Zaia on her return.” The purple Nocturne lifts a paw and salutes with a smart “Yes, Captain!” before taking off to the north to begin her assignment. With a satisfied nod, Refla makes to leave to attend her own duties, but is stopped by the approach of another Nocturne. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/10549204][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/105493/10549204_350.png[/img][/url] “I just saw Carina leave,” he comments as he lands, the grass frosting over at his touch. “So… I suppose its you and me today?” Refla folds her wings again, sighing, “No, Jenx, I’m accompanying Zaia on a reagent-scouting trip. And before you ask—“ she cuts him off as he opens his mouth to speak, “you are not coming along. These are potentially delicate herbs and we can’t risk upsetting their natural growth if Zaia’s to have a consistent supply. Besides, the lands outside of the hollow are not yet safe enough for civilians to travel. Despite your magic, you’re no fighter.” Jenx lowers his gaze for a moment, briefly quieted. But not all of his concerns are silenced. Even as he looks up to find Refla starting to walk away, he follows after her, chains rattling loudly as he does so. “Then who’s to guard me, if you and Carina are both busy?” The guard captain stops, pinching the bridge of her nose and sighing, “I’ve told you already, Jenx. Twice. Zaia has said that we’re no longer keeping prisoners. You’re free to build your own home and life, and not be watched day in and day out.” “But what about my magic? I’m a danger to the clan, to the land—surely there was a reason I was locked up before? I shouldn’t be free now, Refla, I can’t be free now, I—“ Visibly upset, his thoughts start stumbling over one another until Refla places a paw on his shoulder, stopping the flood of thoughts. “Take a deep breath,” she mutters, her expression notably softer. “You know the magic gets worse when you’re emotional.” He follows her instructions, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath, then another, and several more after, focusing on her point of contact with him as he re-grounds himself. Once his breathing is regular, she removes her paw, rubbing it against her other one to try and warm it up after the extended contact with his icy scales. “There you go,” she mutters, and he opens his eyes to see a reassuring smile on her face. “Now—if you keep taking Zaia’s remedies that suppress the magic, she’s said its highly unlikely it will corrupt anyone else’s anymore, and you’re welcome to stay as long as you continue to see her. But if you truly believe yourself a danger to this clan even still, you’re also free to go. We won’t stop you.” He searches her face for a long moment, not sure what he’s looking for, before shaking his head, “No. No… this clan’s been wonderful to me, even before coming here. I will stay, as long as I am no danger.” Satisfied, Refla nods, “Good. You are still welcome to stay in the… ‘guardhouse’ with Carina and I if you’d like, while you get yourself in order, but you’re no prisoner, Jenx. Remember that.” She spares a glance up at the sun before spreading her wings, frowning. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, Zaia is waiting.” As she goes, Jenx is struck by a sudden pang of loneliness, despite standing in the middle of the clan’s busy camp. ----- [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/18134446][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/181345/18134446_350.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/17250214][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/172503/17250214_350.png[/img][/url] "You still haven't told me where we're going." "That would require me to know," the pale Skydancer sighs in response. "Well I know: the middle of nowhere. We need to be going to a larger clan, or maybe the city by the Aergate, somewhere where we can find another job and get our names back," the blue Skydancer snaps, his temper shortened by the amount of walking they'd been doing 'to stay out of sight.' The pale Skydancer stops, an exasperated growl in her throat, "Svenn, [i]darling[/i]," the pet name is like venom in her mouth, "what we [i]need[/i] is a quiet place to lay low. After Zoisite, our names and faces have become known everywhere—and it's only gotten worse with each bad job since. We're lucky to even be alive." What she didn't say is what she knew Svenn didn't want to hear: the golden days were over. It was time for them to move on. Svenn snorts his displeasure, "Fine," he mutters, "but I'll be keeping an eye out for any good marks. You won't be turning me into a farmer, Glade." Rolling her eyes, Glade continues on her way, calling back as her companion hurries to catch up, "You couldn't grow a plant if you were a Nature dragon, Svenn, that profession is the furthest thing from my mind!" ----- [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3288437/2#post_55547919]<<Prev[/url] || [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3288437/2#post_55786240]Next>>[/url] ----- @pinglist-12261 ----- Whew, now THIS is a doozy. I kept wanting to split it up but really, there wasn't a good way to. Its fine, though, more writing is good for me >:D I mentioned before that I wanted to start introducing some of the carry-overs from the Fire clan, but then I made up my list of who joins when and realized I have a LOT of big players to introduce before the Banes come so I threw in Svenn and Glade! I love them! They're probably some of my favorite dragons simply because of their dynamic. I also wanted to finish out bios for all the dragons that were intro'd/have finished bios by time I intro'd dragons, but then realized that's... a lot to do. So I decided against it. I will try and have bios finished [i]eventually[/i]. New introductions will be added to the roster post when I get a chance, but for now a warning I've added to that post, too: some dragons' bios (and even portraits!) may contain spoilers as to the direction their story is going. In fact, most bios (if they have any lore at all) will have some sort of spoiler, as they're written for the "present" and we are VERY much in the past. This will become less of an issue with later introductions, but many of my older dragons have been with me so long that their stories have come and gone in my brain and I'm not going to be working through them in real time. Which also brings me to another thought: Wayward Winds is not exactly the land of happily-ever-afters, but it [i]is[/i] a place where journeys and adventures usually end. It's a place of quiet. It won't always be peaceful, but it will very rarely have widespread conflict! Perhaps not the most exciting read, but this is a place of calm. It doesn't necessarily need to be exciting all the time! (There will still be conflict, don't get me wrong, and I intend to write interludes at times expanding on the histories of some dragons before joining the clan. But most conflict will be small scale, personal issues, rather than clan-shaking riots.)
3: Fire and Ice

10561637_350.png

9832738_350.png

“You’ll start by digging straight up right…” The Skydancer stretches up on his hind legs, placing a front paw on the ceiling of the room to steady himself as he closes his eyes, his hood falling back to his shoulders. His other paw drifts back and forth across the surface of the freshly-packed earth before he twitches his antennae and draws a quick circle on the ceiling, “…here. You should burrow straight into the bamboo, and then just follow the curve and hollow it out from there. Sound doable?”

Djinn circles the mark a couple of times, assessing the proposed size of the hole and contemplating the instructions given. Finally, after a moment, she nods firmly. “I think that’s reasonable enough. You said you wanted two of these?”

“Yes,” Nix inclines his head. “I’ll mark the other one now. Once you’re done with that one, if you could dig out the second, we’d be incredibly grateful.”

Djinn salutes him with a grin, “Of course, anything for you two. I’ll have these burrowed out in a flash!”

Without further delay, the dark Spiral starts her work, burrowing straight up through the earth. Meanwhile, Nix makes good on his word and takes a few moments to stop and mark the second project before leaving the room behind.

It’s not a long walk up the curving path towards the main part of his den, but its one that requires great care. He is sure that, in time, his paws will become accustomed to the trip and he won’t think twice about it, but for now the corridor is dark, but too steep and narrow for him to light his way with the flames he commands. Its only mercy is that there are no other branches before he reaches the top, it is just a single path.

The main part of his lair is much like the lower room: bare and smelling heavily of freshly-carved earth. It is, however, a decent amount larger, and currently much better lit—even setting aside the sunlight pouring in through the uncovered entrance, one cannot deny the light emanated from the fiery form curled in the shallow indentation currently serving as a nest.

17408454_350.png

Lothair lifts her head as he approaches, “Got everything sorted out with Djinn?”

“Yes, she seemed fairly confident in the job. And the more time I spend in that silence, the more confident I am in doing mine.”

“You didn’t even hear me?” She asks as she stands and stretches. He shakes his head.

“Not in the slightest. Though I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss it.” As Lothair steps over and presses her shoulder against his, he takes a moment to appreciate her and her presence. The roar of her overwhelming fire magic, drowning out the cacophony of noise that normally assails him when around other dragons. Much like the waterfall across the hollow, being in her presence is deafening, but in a calming way.

"You won't be saying that when your readings are clearer for the insulation," she retorts, shaking out her wings and sending scatterings of embers from her flaming feathers before tucking her wings close to her sides. Nix doesn't even so much as flinch, too caught up in his adoration for her. "You had mentioned before that you wanted to explain your plans to me for the outside? Why don't you do that while we wait for her to finish?"

Nix shakes himself from his thoughts as she trots ahead, molten paws leaving behind clear footprints in the clay-heavy earth. Catching up with her, he gestures with his wings as they exit the den, indicating the area to each side of them. "We'll need to put up some fences, to keep anyone else from digging a den too close. Not that that's much of an issue at the moment..." He glances to where most of the clan is making their homes, halfway across the hollow near the higher wall, "but it may be in the future. As for the bamboo and other grasses..." he motions to the small grove around the entrance to their den, "we'll have to remove enough of it to make the path inward clear, but otherwise I do not mind leaving behind the vast majority. What we do remove we can put to use on the entryway or fences. The two particularly large pieces of bamboo you see there and there, those will be the chimneys." He turns his gaze towards one of the large bamboo he pointed out, antennae twitching, "In fact, Djinn should be emerging from that one about... now."

Right on cue, the dark Spiral's head peeks up over the top of the bamboo, scales dirtied but a huge grin on her face. Giving Nix a thumbs-up, she turns and descends once more—presumably to start work on the other hole, though he cannot sense her below. The fact makes him even more confident in the room he's dug out.

He continues to talk with Lothair as they wait, moving into more lighthearted chatter by time Djinn emerges from the second indicated bamboo. Perching atop it, she dusts herself off and grins at Nix once more. "All done! Let me know if you need anything else dug out in the future!"

Without waiting for a reply, Djinn takes off, darting back towards the clan's main cluster of dens, where he's sure she's got plenty of other jobs waiting. Letting out a sigh, Nix comments, "Well, thanks to her quick work, it's all done now. All that's left is to get a brazier set up down there, stock the shelves with my reagents—"

Lothair cuts him off with a mischievous look. "Not so fast. It requires one last test, to be sure that you'll not be disturbed. Wait here."

Without another word, she bounds off and disappears into the den. Her presence fades from his perception. He waits for a moment, confused as to her intent, but sees and feels no change. There is still no noise from below. But just as he's about to step inside and ask what her plan is, smoke starts to rise from the hollowed-out bamboo, and any doubts he had are laid to rest. Even as she feeds her flames and lets loose her boundless elemental energy, he still can feel nothing but silence.

His readings will be clearer than ever, now.

dragon?did=12748623&skin=0&apparel=9452,9221,9820,9224,12928&xt=dressing.png

13425312_350.png

“Maudy and Dove are taking a trip to the northern groves today for more building supplies—but Djinn reported seeing a large, potentially desperate pack of gale wolves near there the other day. So, Carina, I’m needing you to scout ahead before they set out, ensure their route and destination are safe, and then remain with them while they gather to prevent anything from happening. If at any point the wolves are a problem, you are to bring them home and report immediately to Nix. He will speak with Zaia on her return.”

The purple Nocturne lifts a paw and salutes with a smart “Yes, Captain!” before taking off to the north to begin her assignment. With a satisfied nod, Refla makes to leave to attend her own duties, but is stopped by the approach of another Nocturne.

10549204_350.png

“I just saw Carina leave,” he comments as he lands, the grass frosting over at his touch. “So… I suppose its you and me today?”

Refla folds her wings again, sighing, “No, Jenx, I’m accompanying Zaia on a reagent-scouting trip. And before you ask—“ she cuts him off as he opens his mouth to speak, “you are not coming along. These are potentially delicate herbs and we can’t risk upsetting their natural growth if Zaia’s to have a consistent supply. Besides, the lands outside of the hollow are not yet safe enough for civilians to travel. Despite your magic, you’re no fighter.”

Jenx lowers his gaze for a moment, briefly quieted. But not all of his concerns are silenced. Even as he looks up to find Refla starting to walk away, he follows after her, chains rattling loudly as he does so.

“Then who’s to guard me, if you and Carina are both busy?”

The guard captain stops, pinching the bridge of her nose and sighing, “I’ve told you already, Jenx. Twice. Zaia has said that we’re no longer keeping prisoners. You’re free to build your own home and life, and not be watched day in and day out.”

“But what about my magic? I’m a danger to the clan, to the land—surely there was a reason I was locked up before? I shouldn’t be free now, Refla, I can’t be free now, I—“ Visibly upset, his thoughts start stumbling over one another until Refla places a paw on his shoulder, stopping the flood of thoughts.

“Take a deep breath,” she mutters, her expression notably softer. “You know the magic gets worse when you’re emotional.”

He follows her instructions, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath, then another, and several more after, focusing on her point of contact with him as he re-grounds himself. Once his breathing is regular, she removes her paw, rubbing it against her other one to try and warm it up after the extended contact with his icy scales.

“There you go,” she mutters, and he opens his eyes to see a reassuring smile on her face. “Now—if you keep taking Zaia’s remedies that suppress the magic, she’s said its highly unlikely it will corrupt anyone else’s anymore, and you’re welcome to stay as long as you continue to see her. But if you truly believe yourself a danger to this clan even still, you’re also free to go. We won’t stop you.”

He searches her face for a long moment, not sure what he’s looking for, before shaking his head, “No. No… this clan’s been wonderful to me, even before coming here. I will stay, as long as I am no danger.”

Satisfied, Refla nods, “Good. You are still welcome to stay in the… ‘guardhouse’ with Carina and I if you’d like, while you get yourself in order, but you’re no prisoner, Jenx. Remember that.” She spares a glance up at the sun before spreading her wings, frowning. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, Zaia is waiting.”

As she goes, Jenx is struck by a sudden pang of loneliness, despite standing in the middle of the clan’s busy camp.

18134446_350.png

17250214_350.png

"You still haven't told me where we're going."

"That would require me to know," the pale Skydancer sighs in response.

"Well I know: the middle of nowhere. We need to be going to a larger clan, or maybe the city by the Aergate, somewhere where we can find another job and get our names back," the blue Skydancer snaps, his temper shortened by the amount of walking they'd been doing 'to stay out of sight.'

The pale Skydancer stops, an exasperated growl in her throat, "Svenn, darling," the pet name is like venom in her mouth, "what we need is a quiet place to lay low. After Zoisite, our names and faces have become known everywhere—and it's only gotten worse with each bad job since. We're lucky to even be alive." What she didn't say is what she knew Svenn didn't want to hear: the golden days were over. It was time for them to move on.

Svenn snorts his displeasure, "Fine," he mutters, "but I'll be keeping an eye out for any good marks. You won't be turning me into a farmer, Glade."

Rolling her eyes, Glade continues on her way, calling back as her companion hurries to catch up, "You couldn't grow a plant if you were a Nature dragon, Svenn, that profession is the furthest thing from my mind!"

<<Prev || Next>>
@Wayward Winds Clan Lore

Whew, now THIS is a doozy.

I kept wanting to split it up but really, there wasn't a good way to. Its fine, though, more writing is good for me >:D

I mentioned before that I wanted to start introducing some of the carry-overs from the Fire clan, but then I made up my list of who joins when and realized I have a LOT of big players to introduce before the Banes come so I threw in Svenn and Glade! I love them! They're probably some of my favorite dragons simply because of their dynamic.

I also wanted to finish out bios for all the dragons that were intro'd/have finished bios by time I intro'd dragons, but then realized that's... a lot to do. So I decided against it. I will try and have bios finished eventually.

New introductions will be added to the roster post when I get a chance, but for now a warning I've added to that post, too: some dragons' bios (and even portraits!) may contain spoilers as to the direction their story is going. In fact, most bios (if they have any lore at all) will have some sort of spoiler, as they're written for the "present" and we are VERY much in the past. This will become less of an issue with later introductions, but many of my older dragons have been with me so long that their stories have come and gone in my brain and I'm not going to be working through them in real time.

Which also brings me to another thought: Wayward Winds is not exactly the land of happily-ever-afters, but it is a place where journeys and adventures usually end. It's a place of quiet. It won't always be peaceful, but it will very rarely have widespread conflict! Perhaps not the most exciting read, but this is a place of calm. It doesn't necessarily need to be exciting all the time!

(There will still be conflict, don't get me wrong, and I intend to write interludes at times expanding on the histories of some dragons before joining the clan. But most conflict will be small scale, personal issues, rather than clan-shaking riots.)
tSKOR3g.png
- Wind Subspecies Hub
- Painted Clouds
- Foo's Eye Guardians
- Wishlist
- Clan Lore

Sounds like everyone is really getting settled! I'm glad they've found such a good home!
Sounds like everyone is really getting settled! I'm glad they've found such a good home!
[center][font="OptimusPrinceps"][size=5][b][u]4: The Stars' Guidance[/font] ----- [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/57159054][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/571591/57159054_350.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/16766288][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/167663/16766288_350.png[/img][/url] Two Skydancers alight on the Reedcleft Ascent, one—with a hide that glitters like the stars above—landing far less confidently than his companion, who glows with the gentle light of the morning sun. She catches him as he stumbles, supporting him and letting him regain his footing before asking, “We’re on the Plateau, what do the stars say now?” He is quiet, turning his masked face to the sky as he divines the stars. Finally, he responds, “South and east, to where a small clan has settled in the stepping stones to the sky.” She nods, then frowns at the uneven land before them. “Will you be able to fly there? I wouldn’t want to lose you.” “So long as I have your radiance to guide me, I would never lose my way.” Silence falls between them—her doubt would be evident even to a non-Skydancer. But he does not comment on it, and so it is left to her to break the silence, to keep stalling, “And have the stars told you any more of what we’re to find, there?” “No more than last you asked, Solaris. But it is all we need. A home.” Solaris lets out a sigh as she looks ahead toward where they’re to go, then spreads her wings. “I only hope you’re right, Arys.” “The stars have not lied to me yet.” Swallowing her doubt, she takes to the skies and hovers, waiting for her friend to join her before settling into a steady flight to the southeast. ----- When the two Skydancers land in the middle of the Wayward Winds camp, they are met with immediate… not hostility, Solaris notices, but hesitance. She brushes her tail against Arys’ front paws, guiding him close to her side as a pair of Nocturnes approaches them. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/12748623][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=12748623&skin=0&apparel=9452,9221,9820,9224,12928&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/13425312][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/134254/13425312_350.png[/img][/url] The green and pink one steps forward, head held high. “What business do you have in the home of the Wayward Winds?” Her voice is confident, but Solaris can feel how unsure she is. But before the gleaming Skydancer can answer, Arys steps forward. “We’re looking for a home. Far too harshly did our birth clans judge us for who we are, and we seek a place where we might be allowed to just… be.” [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/7414][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/scry?sdid=3996201&skin=0&apparel=814&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/7415][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=33&bodygene=0&breed=6&element=11&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=63&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=40&auth=68a02b88e2bfa8ab5833dc29fbda97de47dd1030&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/url] “Then I do believe you’ve come to the right clan.” The statement comes not from the Nocturne, but from a blue Mirror striding purposefully up beside her, a green Tundra at her side. “At ease, Refla, Carina. All are [i]guests[/i] here, remember that.” The two Nocturnes exchange a glance before relaxing marginally and taking a half-step back. Solaris can only assume the Mirror is the clan leader—she carries herself with the presence of an Imperial—and yet it is the Tundra who speaks up next. “Welcome to the Wayward Winds. I am Maudy, and this is my mate, Zaia.” He gestures to the Mirror, who lifts her chin pridefully. “We have refounded this clan as a place for any to find refuge, so if you are seeking a home, you are welcome here. Though, if I might ask…” Maudy tilts his head, “How did you come to know of us? We haven’t yet had any travelers pass through to spread the word.” Solaris dips her head slightly, but her gaze does not shift from the leaders before her—except to take note of the slowly gathering crowd. “I am Solaris and this is Arys. We—“ Arys speaks up before she can finish, “The whispers of the stars guided me—us—here.” Solaris cringes, expecting derision and a rescinding of the offer of hospitality, but feels only curiosity from the pair. After a moment’s consideration, the response comes, from Zaia: “Is that so? Perhaps you might be interested in meeting Nix. He, too, seeks guidance from unlikely sources—except he sees answers in the flames. I can introduce you once you’re settled.” Maudy nods, then looks back to the new arrivals. “But for now, allow me to help you find a place to stay. We have some temporary abodes set up while the clan gets more permanent dens established—which I am also more than happy to assist with…” He continues to talk as he turns and leads them towards the more populated part of the hollow. Solaris follows, maintaining gentle contact between her tail and Arys’ front paws until he picks his pace up a bit to walk beside her. “I know it will take time, Solaris, but I assure you: these dragons are not like your old clan. The stars would not have brought us here if so.” She nudges him aside slightly with her shoulder so they pass around a small stone jutting up in their path, and he continues unfazed. “This is a new life for us.” She casts a glance to him at the phrase, believing for a second that she heard more emphasis on “us” than usual. But she quickly pushes the fantasy from her head. His tone is as level as ever, and even if his expression were to betray his intent, she cannot read it anymore, hidden as it is. So instead she tucks her feelings back into the depths of her heart and remains in her own silence as Maudy shows them where they can stay. ----- ----- [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/17250214][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/172503/17250214_350.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/18134446][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/181345/18134446_350.png[/img][/url] Crouched amongst the bamboo and shadowed by the taller cliffside, the two Skydancers watched the whole exchange, unseen, from within earshot. “It’s that easy?” Svenn asks aloud as the pair is led off by the Tundra. Glade does not answer at first—her mind is racing through cover stories and fake names, building up a tactical plan for joining the clan… until she shakes it all from her head. This is not an infiltration. They can simply stride up and ask for a place among their ranks—they just watched it happen, after all. But as Svenn stands to take action, she still finds herself holding out a paw to stop him. “We can’t just show up now, mere minutes after their last arrivals. It would be obvious we’ve been hanging around. Let’s wait a few days, let things die down, and then we can see about making ourselves known.” Svenn lets out a heavy sigh. “Fine. Three days.” “Three days.” ----- [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/13425312][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/134254/13425312_350.png[/img][/url] They don’t have to wait even that long. On the second day, while foraging for breakfast, the duo run across the armored purple Nocturne they’d seen out scouting and on guard duty. She immediately goes on the defensive, spreading her wings intimidatingly and growling, “This is Wayward Winds clan territory! Who are you, and why are you taking our food?” Despite her fierce front, however, Glade can tell all too well that she’s nervous. Uneasy about the numbers, and unsure of what her actions should be. Svenn tenses beside her, but Glade extends a wing to stop him. This is the best opportunity they have. Dipping her head low and sweeping her hat in front of her with a paw, she replies, “Deepest apologies, we were not aware a clan had settled in this area. I am Glade and my companion here is Svenn.” She can feel his anger shift toward her as she gives out their real names. “We have… fallen on hard times, and have found ourselves pursued by a number of foul dragons. We’ve just been trying our best to stay unnoticed and get by.” The Nocturne takes a moment to assess them, eyes darting back and forth from within the shadows of her helm. Finally, she folds her wings and declares, still rather aggressively, “Our clan is a refuge for any and all who need it. I will take you to the leaders and you can request to join, if you wish.” Her eyes flash dangerously, “Or face the consequences of trespassing.” Glade can see Svenn’s claws digging into the dirt out of the corner of her eye, and she speaks quickly to keep the Nocturne’s attention on her, “I would be most grateful for the audience. Please, show the way.” The Nocturne gives them both one last distrusting look before turning and taking to the sky, not even checking to see if they’re following. As they do, Svenn snaps at her, “Glade—“ “Later,” she mutters, fixing her hat back upon her head. “Let me do the talking for now, and we might have an actual place to sleep, tonight.” ----- [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3288437/2#post_55638346]<<Prev[/url] || [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3288437/3#post_55839947]Next>>[/url] ----- @pinglist-12261 ----- I've had this one finished for a while, just kept losing track of time before I could get it posted. Lots on the brain lately. I actually have several intros done and many ideas for filler/intros, but I've got a bit of a road block in that the next dragon I want to introduce still needs... his whole gene plan, which includes a breed change. I really just need to decide if I'm going to intro him with a stand-in image like I use for Zaia, Maudy, etc, or if I'm going to wait till I at least breed change him... Decisions for future me, though! Next chapter will, regardless, have his intro and a couple of extra scenes with some already-intro'd dragons—all that will change is how quickly it gets posted.
4: The Stars' Guidance

57159054_350.png

16766288_350.png

Two Skydancers alight on the Reedcleft Ascent, one—with a hide that glitters like the stars above—landing far less confidently than his companion, who glows with the gentle light of the morning sun. She catches him as he stumbles, supporting him and letting him regain his footing before asking, “We’re on the Plateau, what do the stars say now?”

He is quiet, turning his masked face to the sky as he divines the stars. Finally, he responds, “South and east, to where a small clan has settled in the stepping stones to the sky.”

She nods, then frowns at the uneven land before them. “Will you be able to fly there? I wouldn’t want to lose you.”

“So long as I have your radiance to guide me, I would never lose my way.”

Silence falls between them—her doubt would be evident even to a non-Skydancer. But he does not comment on it, and so it is left to her to break the silence, to keep stalling, “And have the stars told you any more of what we’re to find, there?”

“No more than last you asked, Solaris. But it is all we need. A home.”

Solaris lets out a sigh as she looks ahead toward where they’re to go, then spreads her wings. “I only hope you’re right, Arys.”

“The stars have not lied to me yet.”

Swallowing her doubt, she takes to the skies and hovers, waiting for her friend to join her before settling into a steady flight to the southeast.

When the two Skydancers land in the middle of the Wayward Winds camp, they are met with immediate… not hostility, Solaris notices, but hesitance. She brushes her tail against Arys’ front paws, guiding him close to her side as a pair of Nocturnes approaches them.

dragon?did=12748623&skin=0&apparel=9452,9221,9820,9224,12928&xt=dressing.png

13425312_350.png

The green and pink one steps forward, head held high. “What business do you have in the home of the Wayward Winds?” Her voice is confident, but Solaris can feel how unsure she is.

But before the gleaming Skydancer can answer, Arys steps forward. “We’re looking for a home. Far too harshly did our birth clans judge us for who we are, and we seek a place where we might be allowed to just… be.”

dragon?age=1&body=33&bodygene=0&breed=6&element=11&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=63&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=40&auth=68a02b88e2bfa8ab5833dc29fbda97de47dd1030&dummyext=prev.png

“Then I do believe you’ve come to the right clan.” The statement comes not from the Nocturne, but from a blue Mirror striding purposefully up beside her, a green Tundra at her side. “At ease, Refla, Carina. All are guests here, remember that.” The two Nocturnes exchange a glance before relaxing marginally and taking a half-step back. Solaris can only assume the Mirror is the clan leader—she carries herself with the presence of an Imperial—and yet it is the Tundra who speaks up next.

“Welcome to the Wayward Winds. I am Maudy, and this is my mate, Zaia.” He gestures to the Mirror, who lifts her chin pridefully. “We have refounded this clan as a place for any to find refuge, so if you are seeking a home, you are welcome here. Though, if I might ask…” Maudy tilts his head, “How did you come to know of us? We haven’t yet had any travelers pass through to spread the word.”

Solaris dips her head slightly, but her gaze does not shift from the leaders before her—except to take note of the slowly gathering crowd. “I am Solaris and this is Arys. We—“

Arys speaks up before she can finish, “The whispers of the stars guided me—us—here.”

Solaris cringes, expecting derision and a rescinding of the offer of hospitality, but feels only curiosity from the pair. After a moment’s consideration, the response comes, from Zaia: “Is that so? Perhaps you might be interested in meeting Nix. He, too, seeks guidance from unlikely sources—except he sees answers in the flames. I can introduce you once you’re settled.”

Maudy nods, then looks back to the new arrivals. “But for now, allow me to help you find a place to stay. We have some temporary abodes set up while the clan gets more permanent dens established—which I am also more than happy to assist with…”

He continues to talk as he turns and leads them towards the more populated part of the hollow. Solaris follows, maintaining gentle contact between her tail and Arys’ front paws until he picks his pace up a bit to walk beside her.

“I know it will take time, Solaris, but I assure you: these dragons are not like your old clan. The stars would not have brought us here if so.” She nudges him aside slightly with her shoulder so they pass around a small stone jutting up in their path, and he continues unfazed. “This is a new life for us.”

She casts a glance to him at the phrase, believing for a second that she heard more emphasis on “us” than usual. But she quickly pushes the fantasy from her head. His tone is as level as ever, and even if his expression were to betray his intent, she cannot read it anymore, hidden as it is.

So instead she tucks her feelings back into the depths of her heart and remains in her own silence as Maudy shows them where they can stay.

17250214_350.png

18134446_350.png

Crouched amongst the bamboo and shadowed by the taller cliffside, the two Skydancers watched the whole exchange, unseen, from within earshot. “It’s that easy?” Svenn asks aloud as the pair is led off by the Tundra.

Glade does not answer at first—her mind is racing through cover stories and fake names, building up a tactical plan for joining the clan… until she shakes it all from her head. This is not an infiltration. They can simply stride up and ask for a place among their ranks—they just watched it happen, after all. But as Svenn stands to take action, she still finds herself holding out a paw to stop him.

“We can’t just show up now, mere minutes after their last arrivals. It would be obvious we’ve been hanging around. Let’s wait a few days, let things die down, and then we can see about making ourselves known.”

Svenn lets out a heavy sigh. “Fine. Three days.”

“Three days.”

13425312_350.png

They don’t have to wait even that long. On the second day, while foraging for breakfast, the duo run across the armored purple Nocturne they’d seen out scouting and on guard duty. She immediately goes on the defensive, spreading her wings intimidatingly and growling, “This is Wayward Winds clan territory! Who are you, and why are you taking our food?” Despite her fierce front, however, Glade can tell all too well that she’s nervous. Uneasy about the numbers, and unsure of what her actions should be.

Svenn tenses beside her, but Glade extends a wing to stop him. This is the best opportunity they have. Dipping her head low and sweeping her hat in front of her with a paw, she replies, “Deepest apologies, we were not aware a clan had settled in this area. I am Glade and my companion here is Svenn.” She can feel his anger shift toward her as she gives out their real names. “We have… fallen on hard times, and have found ourselves pursued by a number of foul dragons. We’ve just been trying our best to stay unnoticed and get by.”

The Nocturne takes a moment to assess them, eyes darting back and forth from within the shadows of her helm. Finally, she folds her wings and declares, still rather aggressively, “Our clan is a refuge for any and all who need it. I will take you to the leaders and you can request to join, if you wish.” Her eyes flash dangerously, “Or face the consequences of trespassing.”

Glade can see Svenn’s claws digging into the dirt out of the corner of her eye, and she speaks quickly to keep the Nocturne’s attention on her, “I would be most grateful for the audience. Please, show the way.”

The Nocturne gives them both one last distrusting look before turning and taking to the sky, not even checking to see if they’re following.

As they do, Svenn snaps at her, “Glade—“

“Later,” she mutters, fixing her hat back upon her head. “Let me do the talking for now, and we might have an actual place to sleep, tonight.”

<<Prev || Next>>
@Wayward Winds Clan Lore

I've had this one finished for a while, just kept losing track of time before I could get it posted. Lots on the brain lately. I actually have several intros done and many ideas for filler/intros, but I've got a bit of a road block in that the next dragon I want to introduce still needs... his whole gene plan, which includes a breed change. I really just need to decide if I'm going to intro him with a stand-in image like I use for Zaia, Maudy, etc, or if I'm going to wait till I at least breed change him...

Decisions for future me, though! Next chapter will, regardless, have his intro and a couple of extra scenes with some already-intro'd dragons—all that will change is how quickly it gets posted.
tSKOR3g.png
- Wind Subspecies Hub
- Painted Clouds
- Foo's Eye Guardians
- Wishlist
- Clan Lore

1 2 3