Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | triweekly writing prompts !
This prompt actually helped me think of some interesting points for one of the characters. [quote]"Was it worth it?" they asked. "Was it enough?"[/quote] When most people saw Kadol, they saw someone they could trust; whether that be as the queen’s advisor, the leader of the Ravens, or even as a foreign noble that helped make Seothia believe in Qizar. While he was a man of power and many talents, that didn’t mean he didn’t have his flaws—that he didn’t regret anything up to this point. He’d always been fond of Allen. It wasn’t the kind of relationship between a father and son, though many would mistake it for such. He would never admit it out loud, but Allen had been his choice in successor should he die or step down. In fact, he thought he was so close to seeing his personal goals fulfilled that he could actually let someone else take over his position. At least he’d had the foresight to wait it out to see what became of it. Maybe his true mistake was allowing Allen to meet Zofie. Kadol hadn’t expected them to hit it off so effortlessly; it felt like he looked away for a second and, when he came back, they were poorly trying to hide their affections. So why did that have to change? Kadol hadn’t been expecting Allen to suddenly leave the castle, especially not when Zofie had such news to tell him. But that’s exactly what happened. Then Zofie started trying to figure out why. Kadol couldn’t stop her because he knew she would ask him questions he couldn’t answer without giving himself away. When she learned what her lover was involved in, she misunderstood the information and thought that the group—the Ravens—were responsible for the death of her mother. A manhunt was started for Allen, who was executed for treason with a warning for all others who served the Ravens. It was how one of his biggest regrets revealed one of his worst fears. Kadol had always mourned what happened to Odelle, but it needed to be done for the better of everyone. He didn’t want the same thing that happened to Odelle to happen to Zofie. He’d wanted her on their side, the side that sought to tear down their cathedrals and bring their blind following of religion to an end. It wasn’t just for the power like what the other Ravens were led to believe (with the queen on their side, after all, it would be even easier for them to see their goal of fruition). It was because of his honest feelings towards her, his old promise to Odelle to keep her safe no matter what. Those feelings towards her only grew when her child was born, remembering the stories of Holy Queen Norah and Philomena, hoping that such a tragedy would never happen again. Kadol had been watching the three of them for a couple of minutes now. He’d originally come to the garden to get Zofie to her next meeting, but… seeing what they were doing, he couldn’t bring himself to pull her away. “Now it’s a… bunny!” Dimas was, honestly, exhibiting how much of his magical talent was wasted. Given the intricate—albeit small—animals he was creating using simple water magic, there was so much more he could be doing. But the only thing he’d ever been taught was a bit of fundamentals about each element and how to use Life magic proficiently. Philyra clapped excitedly. “Another! Another!” “When did you get so good at this?” Zofie’s smile wasn’t nearly as big as either of theirs, though they all knew it meant just as much. “There were times where Imre kicked me out of bed to make Natheniel stop crying, but Minne didn’t come quick enough,” he began to explain as he changed the bunny into a bird. “Of course at that point neither of us really knew how to take care of a baby so I did this. It calmed him down immediately and I just stayed with him until Minne eventually took care of his actual needs. Unfortunately he’s too old for that now and he’s almost at the age to start talking back.” Philyra tried to capture the watery bird, though obviously failed. “What..?” “It’s magic,” Zofie explained gently. “Orestis gave it to us so we can better understand the world around us. Every child of Fleyw Bresh can wield it easily. One day you’ll be able to wield it too.” She looked up at her mother with a confused expression. “I haven’t seen you use magic.” Kadol felt himself stiffening. He knew from Dimas’s sideways glance to his sister that they shared the same thought. It was something that they all wished hadn’t had happened—or in Kadol’s case, prevented or minimized. “That’s a story for another time,” was Zofie’s simple answer. That’s when she happened to look over and notice Kadol standing there. “Oh. I need to go. Philyra, why don’t you and Uncle Dimas go explore the garden for a little while? Once I’m done I’d love to hear about what the two of you found.” “Okay!” Philyra jumped up and began running around Dimas. “Come on, come on!” Dimas moved the water away from them and let it drop before getting up. “Alright, where do you want to go first?” Zofie watched them for a moment longer before standing up and walking towards Kadol. “You should’ve told me you were standing there. I could’ve finished quicker so then you wouldn’t have to wait as long.” “I couldn’t take you away from your family.” His gaze continued to follow the three-year-old as she ran from one bush to another. “You know, it’s kind of obvious that you miss him.” “What are you talking about?” “Was it worth it? Was it enough? Could ridding yourself of the only person that you ever really loved been the only cure for the grief and betrayal you felt? Keeping your daughter from ever knowing even the name of her father, let alone anything about him?” She didn’t look at him. “We’re not talking about this. I’m assuming you’re here because I have a meeting to go to. Please just take me to it so we can get it over with and I can go back to spending time with my daughter.” Any objections he thought of having were instead voiced in a sigh. “Of course, Your Majesty.”
This prompt actually helped me think of some interesting points for one of the characters.
Quote:
"Was it worth it?" they asked. "Was it enough?"
When most people saw Kadol, they saw someone they could trust; whether that be as the queen’s advisor, the leader of the Ravens, or even as a foreign noble that helped make Seothia believe in Qizar. While he was a man of power and many talents, that didn’t mean he didn’t have his flaws—that he didn’t regret anything up to this point.

He’d always been fond of Allen. It wasn’t the kind of relationship between a father and son, though many would mistake it for such. He would never admit it out loud, but Allen had been his choice in successor should he die or step down. In fact, he thought he was so close to seeing his personal goals fulfilled that he could actually let someone else take over his position. At least he’d had the foresight to wait it out to see what became of it.

Maybe his true mistake was allowing Allen to meet Zofie. Kadol hadn’t expected them to hit it off so effortlessly; it felt like he looked away for a second and, when he came back, they were poorly trying to hide their affections. So why did that have to change? Kadol hadn’t been expecting Allen to suddenly leave the castle, especially not when Zofie had such news to tell him. But that’s exactly what happened. Then Zofie started trying to figure out why. Kadol couldn’t stop her because he knew she would ask him questions he couldn’t answer without giving himself away. When she learned what her lover was involved in, she misunderstood the information and thought that the group—the Ravens—were responsible for the death of her mother. A manhunt was started for Allen, who was executed for treason with a warning for all others who served the Ravens.

It was how one of his biggest regrets revealed one of his worst fears. Kadol had always mourned what happened to Odelle, but it needed to be done for the better of everyone. He didn’t want the same thing that happened to Odelle to happen to Zofie. He’d wanted her on their side, the side that sought to tear down their cathedrals and bring their blind following of religion to an end. It wasn’t just for the power like what the other Ravens were led to believe (with the queen on their side, after all, it would be even easier for them to see their goal of fruition). It was because of his honest feelings towards her, his old promise to Odelle to keep her safe no matter what. Those feelings towards her only grew when her child was born, remembering the stories of Holy Queen Norah and Philomena, hoping that such a tragedy would never happen again.

Kadol had been watching the three of them for a couple of minutes now. He’d originally come to the garden to get Zofie to her next meeting, but… seeing what they were doing, he couldn’t bring himself to pull her away.

“Now it’s a… bunny!” Dimas was, honestly, exhibiting how much of his magical talent was wasted. Given the intricate—albeit small—animals he was creating using simple water magic, there was so much more he could be doing. But the only thing he’d ever been taught was a bit of fundamentals about each element and how to use Life magic proficiently.

Philyra clapped excitedly. “Another! Another!”

“When did you get so good at this?” Zofie’s smile wasn’t nearly as big as either of theirs, though they all knew it meant just as much.

“There were times where Imre kicked me out of bed to make Natheniel stop crying, but Minne didn’t come quick enough,” he began to explain as he changed the bunny into a bird. “Of course at that point neither of us really knew how to take care of a baby so I did this. It calmed him down immediately and I just stayed with him until Minne eventually took care of his actual needs. Unfortunately he’s too old for that now and he’s almost at the age to start talking back.”

Philyra tried to capture the watery bird, though obviously failed. “What..?”

“It’s magic,” Zofie explained gently. “Orestis gave it to us so we can better understand the world around us. Every child of Fleyw Bresh can wield it easily. One day you’ll be able to wield it too.”

She looked up at her mother with a confused expression. “I haven’t seen you use magic.”

Kadol felt himself stiffening. He knew from Dimas’s sideways glance to his sister that they shared the same thought. It was something that they all wished hadn’t had happened—or in Kadol’s case, prevented or minimized.

“That’s a story for another time,” was Zofie’s simple answer. That’s when she happened to look over and notice Kadol standing there. “Oh. I need to go. Philyra, why don’t you and Uncle Dimas go explore the garden for a little while? Once I’m done I’d love to hear about what the two of you found.”

“Okay!” Philyra jumped up and began running around Dimas. “Come on, come on!”
Dimas moved the water away from them and let it drop before getting up. “Alright, where do you want to go first?”

Zofie watched them for a moment longer before standing up and walking towards Kadol. “You should’ve told me you were standing there. I could’ve finished quicker so then you wouldn’t have to wait as long.”

“I couldn’t take you away from your family.” His gaze continued to follow the three-year-old as she ran from one bush to another. “You know, it’s kind of obvious that you miss him.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Was it worth it? Was it enough? Could ridding yourself of the only person that you ever really loved been the only cure for the grief and betrayal you felt? Keeping your daughter from ever knowing even the name of her father, let alone anything about him?”

She didn’t look at him. “We’re not talking about this. I’m assuming you’re here because I have a meeting to go to. Please just take me to it so we can get it over with and I can go back to spending time with my daughter.”

Any objections he thought of having were instead voiced in a sigh. “Of course, Your Majesty.”

Puppy
She/Her - FR+3
FR Writer/Artist Discord
aaaa
I wanted to write for a prompt so I looked through some of the older ones! It’s pretty short [s]and I tagged on two sentences at the end to make it a little more sad although it’s probably just confusing[/s] but it’s the first thing I like that I wrote based on a prompt here. [quote=March 3 2021]“One day, I wanna grow up to be just like you!” the hatchling announces to them determinedly. They can’t help but smile warmly at the sight.[/quote] She had been using the alias ‘Eagle’ for some time now; little over six years, in truth. It was still tiring—the fighting and the off-battle work, all while raising a little one and trying to maintain her innocence and childish company. She enjoyed the lifestyle regardless, as it was one of freedom despite the ever-present shackles of a budget to work off of. Eagle was training on her own when she heard a little girl’s voice. Her daughter—dubbed ‘Little Eagle’ among the mercenary company, as she had no true name—was bounding up to her as quickly as a five-year-old could. Eagle put down her sword immediately; neither her nor the child’s father wanted to see her in battle and refused to let her see them fight in fear that she would insist on using the observed skills to help them. “Mama, Mama!” the girl cried, carrying with her a few flowers. “Imma make a crown! Do you want one, Mama?” “Of course, love,” Eagle replied sweetly. She put her sword away and took the flowers gently. “First we’ll need something to tie the flowers on. I have something in my jewelry box.” Her daughter followed her to their shared tent, and watched with wonder as Eagle took out two pieces of string. The flower crown wouldn’t last very long, nor would it be the prettiest, but she was sure that the little one would lose hers almost immediately so it didn’t matter how long it would stay together. Eagle took the flowers and made a crown for her daughter, while the girl took the remaining flowers and made a crown for her mother. When they were done, they both put the crowns on each other’s heads, and the girl was beaming. “You can do so much stuff, Mama! You can cook, clean, fight…” She giggled, “And you make great crowns! I wanna be just like you when I’m older, Mama! You better be watching!” Eagle smiled and laughed, ruffling her daughter’s hair. “I’ll never take my eyes off you,” she promised. … She looked back on it now and cried. “I guess I won’t be watching you after all…”
I wanted to write for a prompt so I looked through some of the older ones! It’s pretty short and I tagged on two sentences at the end to make it a little more sad although it’s probably just confusing but it’s the first thing I like that I wrote based on a prompt here.
March 3 2021 wrote:
“One day, I wanna grow up to be just like you!” the hatchling announces to them determinedly. They can’t help but smile warmly at the sight.
She had been using the alias ‘Eagle’ for some time now; little over six years, in truth. It was still tiring—the fighting and the off-battle work, all while raising a little one and trying to maintain her innocence and childish company. She enjoyed the lifestyle regardless, as it was one of freedom despite the ever-present shackles of a budget to work off of.

Eagle was training on her own when she heard a little girl’s voice. Her daughter—dubbed ‘Little Eagle’ among the mercenary company, as she had no true name—was bounding up to her as quickly as a five-year-old could. Eagle put down her sword immediately; neither her nor the child’s father wanted to see her in battle and refused to let her see them fight in fear that she would insist on using the observed skills to help them.

“Mama, Mama!” the girl cried, carrying with her a few flowers. “Imma make a crown! Do you want one, Mama?”

“Of course, love,” Eagle replied sweetly. She put her sword away and took the flowers gently. “First we’ll need something to tie the flowers on. I have something in my jewelry box.”

Her daughter followed her to their shared tent, and watched with wonder as Eagle took out two pieces of string. The flower crown wouldn’t last very long, nor would it be the prettiest, but she was sure that the little one would lose hers almost immediately so it didn’t matter how long it would stay together.

Eagle took the flowers and made a crown for her daughter, while the girl took the remaining flowers and made a crown for her mother. When they were done, they both put the crowns on each other’s heads, and the girl was beaming. “You can do so much stuff, Mama! You can cook, clean, fight…” She giggled, “And you make great crowns! I wanna be just like you when I’m older, Mama! You better be watching!”

Eagle smiled and laughed, ruffling her daughter’s hair. “I’ll never take my eyes off you,” she promised.

She looked back on it now and cried. “I guess I won’t be watching you after all…”
slight mentions of alc just in case? also i'm late to this because god writing is so hard T_T especially when you don't really do it much [quote]It was a dark and stormy night. Thunder crashed, lightning boomed... they laughed unapologetically as their student fell flat on their face with an undignified shriek. "Try that one again."[/quote] [rule] After the silent performance ends, the last round of laughs and rapturous applause quiets down, the crimson curtains fall and the audience slowly disperces, - is usually when [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/69961611]Vereld[/url] goes to a local tavern to relax, have a drink, and let himself be as loud as he wants. Things, however, haven't been quite the same ever since the ridgeback became a mentor to [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/69360466]a disastrous clownpants[/url] recently; who was probably, he thinks, a bit too young to go to pubs or be anywhere near any kind of booze now or any time soon. Not that tonight is a good time to go out, anyway. It has gotten darker than usual as the storm clouds gathered in the sky, and as soon as Vereld and his student burst into the room, they could hear the thunder crash and a heavy rain start pouring. [i]"I think I can find a drink amongst all my luggage, so that's fine"[/i], he thinks after they find themselves safe from the thunderstorm just in time. [center]---[/center] [i]Thump![/i] "Aowughhh," Bea makes an incoherent sound after falling flat on her face in the middle of another attempt at performing a trick while balancing. It's an act more complicated than the ones she's been doing up until now, much less beginner-friendly and much more... [i]painful[/i] to practice. Her face scrunches up as Vereld, who's sitting a bit further away leaning on the table with his elbow, a wooden mug in his claw, bursts out laughing loudly. "Quite-fff. Quite a [i]natural disaster[/i] you are, [i]Puddles[/i]" he says, catching his breath after his laughing fit calms, "Try that one again. Focus on just balancing for now, don't rush into performing the entire thing right off the bat." [i]"Ouch,"[/i] Bea thinks as she slowly gets up with a grumble, legs a bit wobbly and body aching. Her fur feels so dusty. [i]"That comparison stings a little more than falling on the floor."[/i] She can't blame her mentor for it, though - it's not with malicious intent, and also, she [i]is[/i] quite lousy, especially for a clownpants. For someone who found entertainers delightful and really wanted to become like them, and was practically born to be one as well, Bea felt like a poor excuse of a clown. Which may sound a bit ironic, if you are not the kind to take that line of craft seriously, but she was doing poorly, and she knew it. [i]"Well, here we go again."[/i] With a huff, Bea walks around and back to the accursed ball she keeps falling off. Flopping on her behind, and holding the ball with her front claws, Bea fixes it with a resentful stare, as if it's her greatest bitter enemy. [i]"Evil ball,"[/i] she thinks, [i]"Evil."[/i] [center]---[/center] As his apprentice tries to burn a hole in the ball with that intense gaze of hers, Vereld can't help but find it endearingly entertaining. She may not be very good at it, but he can tell the kid's got zeal and curiosity. Watching as Bea - [i]Puddles[/i] - shakily climbs the ball, wobbly on her feet, he takes a sip of his drink and wonders: is this for her, though? Vereld jokingly calls her a [i]natural disaster[/i], but not without a reason - she's quite all over the place, both literally and figuratively. Puddle's got the spirit and enthusiasm, but everything she tries ends up a mess, something just always seems to go wrong - be it making a mistake during a ventriloquy act, delivering a joke without a punchline, have a flimsy handmade prop break in her claws mid a trick - the list goes on. He's probably not the most perfect fit for her as a teacher, either - Vereld may be in the same field the tundra's striving for, but he's a mime - that's what he excels at and was passionate about since childhood. And all of the ridgeback's experience was thanks to his lucky upbringing - he was born to a family of artists, his mother a painter, and his father a performer. Vereld grew up surrounded with art and theatrics! However, when he first met Puddles - trying to perform in the middle of the street and failing to garner any audience, but clearly trying her best - Vereld couldn't help but approach, only to learn later that she left her home and family in Spiral Keep with the intent to find a mentor. Her parents were very loving and supportive - but not in the field, and thus unable to give her the guidance their daughter needed. Once she realized she's talking to a well-known entertainer, Bea practically begged to become his apprentice - apparently, no one else would give her the time of day, no matter how much she travelled and tried. Vereld felt bad for the kid, and seeing as he constantly travels for his performances, thought, why not, and took her under his wing. As he watches Puddles fall on the wooden floor with an "[i]oof![/i]" for the nth time tonight, Vereld wonders if he's missing something that could help the young tundra - but he's not entirely sure. She is fun to watch, but definitely an amateur, more fit to perform for a group of friends just for the fun of it, rather than make it more of a profession. Making it a job could even take away the joy she actually seems to get from this - and Vereld knows very well not every artist can turn their craft into a moneymaker and still be able to enjoy it or feel authentic. He shakes his head a bit, deciding not to think about it too deeply this soon, and gives his drink a good swig. Not good to lose faith in someone so young so early. "Come on, up and one more time!" encourages Vereld loudly, and when he hears an exaggerated pained groan in response, can't help but laugh.
slight mentions of alc just in case? also i'm late to this because god writing is so hard T_T especially when you don't really do it much
Quote:
It was a dark and stormy night. Thunder crashed, lightning boomed... they laughed unapologetically as their student fell flat on their face with an undignified shriek. "Try that one again."

After the silent performance ends, the last round of laughs and rapturous applause quiets down, the crimson curtains fall and the audience slowly disperces, - is usually when Vereld goes to a local tavern to relax, have a drink, and let himself be as loud as he wants.

Things, however, haven't been quite the same ever since the ridgeback became a mentor to a disastrous clownpants recently; who was probably, he thinks, a bit too young to go to pubs or be anywhere near any kind of booze now or any time soon.

Not that tonight is a good time to go out, anyway. It has gotten darker than usual as the storm clouds gathered in the sky, and as soon as Vereld and his student burst into the room, they could hear the thunder crash and a heavy rain start pouring. "I think I can find a drink amongst all my luggage, so that's fine", he thinks after they find themselves safe from the thunderstorm just in time.
---

Thump!

"Aowughhh," Bea makes an incoherent sound after falling flat on her face in the middle of another attempt at performing a trick while balancing. It's an act more complicated than the ones she's been doing up until now, much less beginner-friendly and much more... painful to practice. Her face scrunches up as Vereld, who's sitting a bit further away leaning on the table with his elbow, a wooden mug in his claw, bursts out laughing loudly.

"Quite-fff. Quite a natural disaster you are, Puddles" he says, catching his breath after his laughing fit calms, "Try that one again. Focus on just balancing for now, don't rush into performing the entire thing right off the bat."

"Ouch," Bea thinks as she slowly gets up with a grumble, legs a bit wobbly and body aching. Her fur feels so dusty. "That comparison stings a little more than falling on the floor."

She can't blame her mentor for it, though - it's not with malicious intent, and also, she is quite lousy, especially for a clownpants. For someone who found entertainers delightful and really wanted to become like them, and was practically born to be one as well, Bea felt like a poor excuse of a clown. Which may sound a bit ironic, if you are not the kind to take that line of craft seriously, but she was doing poorly, and she knew it.

"Well, here we go again." With a huff, Bea walks around and back to the accursed ball she keeps falling off. Flopping on her behind, and holding the ball with her front claws, Bea fixes it with a resentful stare, as if it's her greatest bitter enemy. "Evil ball," she thinks, "Evil."
---

As his apprentice tries to burn a hole in the ball with that intense gaze of hers, Vereld can't help but find it endearingly entertaining. She may not be very good at it, but he can tell the kid's got zeal and curiosity. Watching as Bea - Puddles - shakily climbs the ball, wobbly on her feet, he takes a sip of his drink and wonders: is this for her, though?

Vereld jokingly calls her a natural disaster, but not without a reason - she's quite all over the place, both literally and figuratively. Puddle's got the spirit and enthusiasm, but everything she tries ends up a mess, something just always seems to go wrong - be it making a mistake during a ventriloquy act, delivering a joke without a punchline, have a flimsy handmade prop break in her claws mid a trick - the list goes on.

He's probably not the most perfect fit for her as a teacher, either - Vereld may be in the same field the tundra's striving for, but he's a mime - that's what he excels at and was passionate about since childhood. And all of the ridgeback's experience was thanks to his lucky upbringing - he was born to a family of artists, his mother a painter, and his father a performer. Vereld grew up surrounded with art and theatrics!

However, when he first met Puddles - trying to perform in the middle of the street and failing to garner any audience, but clearly trying her best - Vereld couldn't help but approach, only to learn later that she left her home and family in Spiral Keep with the intent to find a mentor. Her parents were very loving and supportive - but not in the field, and thus unable to give her the guidance their daughter needed. Once she realized she's talking to a well-known entertainer, Bea practically begged to become his apprentice - apparently, no one else would give her the time of day, no matter how much she travelled and tried. Vereld felt bad for the kid, and seeing as he constantly travels for his performances, thought, why not, and took her under his wing.

As he watches Puddles fall on the wooden floor with an "oof!" for the nth time tonight, Vereld wonders if he's missing something that could help the young tundra - but he's not entirely sure. She is fun to watch, but definitely an amateur, more fit to perform for a group of friends just for the fun of it, rather than make it more of a profession. Making it a job could even take away the joy she actually seems to get from this - and Vereld knows very well not every artist can turn their craft into a moneymaker and still be able to enjoy it or feel authentic.

He shakes his head a bit, deciding not to think about it too deeply this soon, and gives his drink a good swig. Not good to lose faith in someone so young so early.

"Come on, up and one more time!" encourages Vereld loudly, and when he hears an exaggerated pained groan in response, can't help but laugh.
tumblr_inline_nbe8duyTA81qg78ij.png
- bek
- they / ae; 27
- FRT +10
[center][quote=July 6 2021][font=century gothic][size=5]Footsteps sounded behind them. "Don't turn around."[/size][/quote] @Nightlilac @magiritsa @goldrush @naranciag @sunwolf @fennecfox21 @sanzang @Hemmalaya @stolen @MaybeHuman @simplyonewinged @kimnoodles @daffydil @finnamony @MittensTheKitten @kawiikatz @Peachycupcake525 @xSTORMDRAGONx @Inkwyrm @TheGrayGhost @moonstrucksmorns @CatInDisguise @DriftingDreams @Xuelian @Mercurythewolf @Pinkish13 @SkySerenade @pandakitty1 @PuppyLuvr06 @shr00mlightz @AllHailWebby @Hyzenthlaay @Illusia @AwkwardTrash @LavenderSelkie @wolfdragon3036 @StarryLune @ulvesang @styygian @Orodruin @Crizona @Lavend3rDragon @PeacefulPyro @PinkRose06 @SocklessWonder @Tumbleweeds @CookieTimes2000 @fuzzysherbet @Quilava2010 @AlterZero [/center]
poem shop
writing prompts
@SocklessWonder
"The panel of three sat in the shadows as Yoli tried vainly to block the intense light aimed at her with her hand."
ooh, interrogation scene? or just suspicious meeting?
gasp!! so are they some sort of invasive species, except on a planetary scale? like humans having invaded alien's homes and the aliens are coming back to take back their rightful territory? also who is the 'boy' they keep referencing? and that device sounds v sus...

@fuzzysherbet
wait, lerita is from the same universe as that rebellion-overthrowing prompt from before, right?
i wonder what ortie's connection to the royal is... also, harpy huh? what species are the characters in this verse? angels? dragons? humans with wings?

@PuppyLuvr06
i admit i don't quite understand the first big bit of exposition, but something about tearing down blind religion? and a love plot? and his apprentice was executed for a misunderstanding, ouch. i think at least? be careful with worldbuilding during official writing, you don't want to dump it all at once too obviously! although considering this is just a prompts thread feel free to go wild XD
waaait, zofie is royal?!? i probably should have expected that actually. is zofie the queen and kadol her advisor then? that's... an interesting dynamc, considering the history you've hinted at for both of them.

@PinkRose06
awww, eagle! and little eagle! and there's a dad too? what's his name? is there a reason the dad's name isn't quite so obvious in the text?
and ouch, she's mourning her child and reflecting on happy memories, isn't she? it's terrible to outlive your child.

@ulvesang
'a disastrous clownpants' made me laugh hrhasdjk
bea is actually really pretty tho, i love that sweater on them
and ouch, balancing is HARD. clowns are actually... really, really impressive when you think about it.
is puddles bea's clown name?
"However, when he first met Puddles - trying to perform in the middle of the street and failing to garner any audience, but clearly trying her best - Vereld couldn't help but approach, only to learn later that she left her home and family in Spiral Keep with the intent to find a mentor."
oof, the second-hand embarrassment. it's good to show that you have dedication, though i imagine there were more effective ways to find a mentor, bea...
and ouch, vereld's musings really are understandable. bea certainly is dedicated, but only time will tell if she's willing to turn her hobby into a job!
@SocklessWonder
"The panel of three sat in the shadows as Yoli tried vainly to block the intense light aimed at her with her hand."
ooh, interrogation scene? or just suspicious meeting?
gasp!! so are they some sort of invasive species, except on a planetary scale? like humans having invaded alien's homes and the aliens are coming back to take back their rightful territory? also who is the 'boy' they keep referencing? and that device sounds v sus...

@fuzzysherbet
wait, lerita is from the same universe as that rebellion-overthrowing prompt from before, right?
i wonder what ortie's connection to the royal is... also, harpy huh? what species are the characters in this verse? angels? dragons? humans with wings?

@PuppyLuvr06
i admit i don't quite understand the first big bit of exposition, but something about tearing down blind religion? and a love plot? and his apprentice was executed for a misunderstanding, ouch. i think at least? be careful with worldbuilding during official writing, you don't want to dump it all at once too obviously! although considering this is just a prompts thread feel free to go wild XD
waaait, zofie is royal?!? i probably should have expected that actually. is zofie the queen and kadol her advisor then? that's... an interesting dynamc, considering the history you've hinted at for both of them.

@PinkRose06
awww, eagle! and little eagle! and there's a dad too? what's his name? is there a reason the dad's name isn't quite so obvious in the text?
and ouch, she's mourning her child and reflecting on happy memories, isn't she? it's terrible to outlive your child.

@ulvesang
'a disastrous clownpants' made me laugh hrhasdjk
bea is actually really pretty tho, i love that sweater on them
and ouch, balancing is HARD. clowns are actually... really, really impressive when you think about it.
is puddles bea's clown name?
"However, when he first met Puddles - trying to perform in the middle of the street and failing to garner any audience, but clearly trying her best - Vereld couldn't help but approach, only to learn later that she left her home and family in Spiral Keep with the intent to find a mentor."
oof, the second-hand embarrassment. it's good to show that you have dedication, though i imagine there were more effective ways to find a mentor, bea...
and ouch, vereld's musings really are understandable. bea certainly is dedicated, but only time will tell if she's willing to turn her hobby into a job!
poem shop
writing prompts
Hello :) I recently watched the movie Luca on Disney+, and I swear I fell in love with this movie. It is probably my favorite movie to date. This prompt inspired me to write a little fic thingie that takes place after the movie. I HIGHLY suggest you watch Luca if you haven't already, it is sooooo amazing!! (some spoilers may be ahead, take some caution!)

also @fyi can I put a little link to this thread in my bio? I love it so much and would like to spread it throughout FR :D

7/6/2021 prompt: Footsteps sounded behind them. "Don't turn around."

Ever since Luca and Alberto revealed to the town of Portorosso their true identities as sea monsters, they had always had a nervous feeling when around others. Some deep instinct continuously told them to run away anytime anyone approached them. However, they both decided to ignore the Bruno and bury it away so they would be able to enjoy their summers together more.

One night, the boys had stayed out a bit too late swimming in the nearby sea. They came out, dried off, and walked back through the town towards Giulia's house. "Hey, I saw a new ice cream shop a few blocks away. Let's go!" Alberto declared. Luca was hesitant, but Alberto insisted, putting his arm around Luca's neck and pulling him along.

"Uhh, Alberto, are you sure you know which way we are going?"
"Of course I do! I'm an expert, remember?"

Turns out, they were lost. Like, really lost. They had ended up in a dark streetway with no lights, of course. Luca started to panic, but with a few Silencio, Bruno's he managed to stay quiet.

Fumbling around in the dark, they heard the distinct hum of a Vespa in the distance. Bruno came back to shout at them: what if it's Ercole? Everyone knew that ever since losing the Portorosso Cup Race, Ercole swore to get revenge on any sea monsters that came his way. The sound of the Vespa got closer, and both Alberto and Luca froze, their backs to the noise. Alberto grabbed Luca's hand as the Vespa shut off.

Footsteps sounded behind them. "Don't turn around," Alberto whispered.

A flashlight turned on and shone at their backs. A deep male voice said, "Who goes there? Reveal yourselves!" Alberto took a deep breath and turned around, pushing Luca behind him protectively. Momentarily blinded, he heard a young girl's voice: "Alberto? Luca!!" "Giulia?"

Giulia's face lit up, enough to see in the dark street. "Me and my dad came to find you guys, we got worried when you didn't return! Good to see you guys are okay!!" The boys were choked in a huge hug, both letting out a huge sigh of relief.

And with that, another day in Portorosso had passed.
Hello :) I recently watched the movie Luca on Disney+, and I swear I fell in love with this movie. It is probably my favorite movie to date. This prompt inspired me to write a little fic thingie that takes place after the movie. I HIGHLY suggest you watch Luca if you haven't already, it is sooooo amazing!! (some spoilers may be ahead, take some caution!)

also @fyi can I put a little link to this thread in my bio? I love it so much and would like to spread it throughout FR :D

7/6/2021 prompt: Footsteps sounded behind them. "Don't turn around."

Ever since Luca and Alberto revealed to the town of Portorosso their true identities as sea monsters, they had always had a nervous feeling when around others. Some deep instinct continuously told them to run away anytime anyone approached them. However, they both decided to ignore the Bruno and bury it away so they would be able to enjoy their summers together more.

One night, the boys had stayed out a bit too late swimming in the nearby sea. They came out, dried off, and walked back through the town towards Giulia's house. "Hey, I saw a new ice cream shop a few blocks away. Let's go!" Alberto declared. Luca was hesitant, but Alberto insisted, putting his arm around Luca's neck and pulling him along.

"Uhh, Alberto, are you sure you know which way we are going?"
"Of course I do! I'm an expert, remember?"

Turns out, they were lost. Like, really lost. They had ended up in a dark streetway with no lights, of course. Luca started to panic, but with a few Silencio, Bruno's he managed to stay quiet.

Fumbling around in the dark, they heard the distinct hum of a Vespa in the distance. Bruno came back to shout at them: what if it's Ercole? Everyone knew that ever since losing the Portorosso Cup Race, Ercole swore to get revenge on any sea monsters that came his way. The sound of the Vespa got closer, and both Alberto and Luca froze, their backs to the noise. Alberto grabbed Luca's hand as the Vespa shut off.

Footsteps sounded behind them. "Don't turn around," Alberto whispered.

A flashlight turned on and shone at their backs. A deep male voice said, "Who goes there? Reveal yourselves!" Alberto took a deep breath and turned around, pushing Luca behind him protectively. Momentarily blinded, he heard a young girl's voice: "Alberto? Luca!!" "Giulia?"

Giulia's face lit up, enough to see in the dark street. "Me and my dad came to find you guys, we got worried when you didn't return! Good to see you guys are okay!!" The boys were choked in a huge hug, both letting out a huge sigh of relief.

And with that, another day in Portorosso had passed.
pOlOyp4.png 5BsilZ9.png
v2PJF9u.png
HJLIYn4.png
Dishwater-sig.png
[center][quote=July 6 2021][font=century gothic][size=5]Footsteps sounded behind them. "Don't turn around."[/size][/quote] [/center] Footsteps sounded behind her. "Don't turn around," he said. Naturally, she did so anyway. "...Vans, what happened?" If there were a way for a fae to sound impish, Vans did just that. He opened his mouth to speak, struggling to find his words, stumbling over his own tongue. Monotone though he was, the fanning and folding of his fins didn't lie, flaring open and pulling themselves back faster than she could get a read on him. "Well, that's--er, so--nothing. Nothing, obviously." She didn't believe him. After all, when he left the lair, he didn't have that wicked scratch over his face. "Vans, why are you lying to me?" "I'm not lying!" he exclaimed--no, more said loudly--fins folding back against his head as his forepaws wrung themselves together. "It's--well, it's nothing. I took care of it." A pause. "...Sort of." "Did one of the young ones accidentally scratch you?" "Well--yes!" Vans straightened up, staring into her eyes, wide and pink, stark against his patchy white-and-yellow pattern. It seemed all he could do to do so, with how she stared back at him, eyes narrowed and brows raised. "Yes. It was a nightmare, you see. I heard one of the hatchlings whining in her sleep, so I went to see what the problem was." "Mmm hmm." "And when I woke her up, she attacked me. It must have been a horrible nightmare. She wouldn't tell me what it was, but if it was that terrifying that she attacked in her sleep, I get that." His fins shivered slightly, but he seemed more confident, gesturing with his hands as he spoke, tail uncurling from around his feet, wings beginning to loosen up around him. "Luckily she didn't wake up anyone else, but I managed to calm her down afterward, you see." "I see." "You don't believe me." "I don't. Vans, you've been gone all day. Lights out is 8 PM, isn't it? So tell me--what time is it right now?" Vans fidgeted, averting his eyes from the Guardian, tapping his claws together. Instead he directed his gaze around the room, eyes roving about her office-den hybrid, until they found their mark and stared at the grandfather clock standing tall against the wall. "...It's 7:59." His body gave a sharp jolt as the time shifted to 8, the sound of the clock's time sounding like a distant gong. One, two, three, four, five--until at the eighth stroke, silence spread between them. Outside in the hallway, she could hear the shuffling of the floorboards, claws dragging against the wooden panels while off in the distance, hatchling dragons of all kinds groaned and moaned about being sent to bed. She knew the caretakers would do their jobs well enough that the hatchlings would get plenty of sleep for tomorrow. She also knew, just by looking at the fae before her, that he'd probably rather be dealing with feisty children than be standing before her now like this. Kestrel stared at him, he looked up at her, and all at once, his defense crumbled to pieces. "I didn't want you to worry," he said. If a fae could sound meek, he did--she always noticed, very distinctly, that a fae that grew among other dragons in a community always seemed to have at least some semblance of affliction. It was good of dragons to commune with each other, she'd thought, especially at such a young and impressionable age. That was why this place was made the way it ended up being. "Well, I worried anyway." Her wings drooped down to her side, voice drooping with them, allowing her worry and concern to make themselves noticeable. She knew how even still, he struggled with reading tone--it was a conscientious choice, an intentional movement. She'd hate to think that he believed she was angry at him--she wasn't, after all, and stiffness (she realized, suddenly) was reproach and anger to a fae. "Vans, where were you?" "I didn't want you to worry," he said again, looking away from her. "Look, I took care of it, all right? It's nothing." Kestrel hummed to herself, shortly, briefly, humming a thought and rolling it over in her head for a few moments. "...Is this about the stray Mirror that Orion saw?" Vans blinked a few times at that, turning his head to look at her, fins wide with shock. "He… told you?" His fans flicked. "He told you." Then they drooped, allowing gravity to be their masters, and he looked away. "Of course he told you." "...Don't tell me that you went off to find them." His tail lashed, lifting up and down and hitting the ground antsily, for all intents and purposes reminiscent of a temperamental cat. "Er… she, actually." Kestrel sighed, punching her claws against the bridge of her nose. "Vans, please don't tell me." "I didn't want you to worry," he argued. "You already had so much on your plate, and I didn't have anything else to do anyway." "Did you really forget that we were supposed to be taking Calcifer to the Mire for training today?" she murmured, shaking her head. "Vans, please." "...Oh. I… did forget, actually. Sorry." She didn't even have to look at him to know that he was being honest. Vans had that misfortune about him--that tendency to forget. "It's fine." She sighed again, shaking her head and lowering her paw. "I'm just glad you're all right. I was worried sick about you, you tiny idiot." "Heh. Thanks, Kes." He chuckled. The tonelessness of it might have been eerie to some, but to others more aquatinted with the mannerisms of fae, it was a relief. And oh, how aquatinted she was. They'd known each other for years, after all. "So tell me what happened. And try not to lie this time." ----- "It isn't that uncommon for an injured Mirror to be left alone, you know," Kestrel murmured, tapping her claws thoughtfully on the oaken desk. "I mean, we've had Mirrors brought to us plenty of times. They were alone." "Actually, about that. The Mirrors we take care of are always hatchlings--runts of the litter or nests abandoned early by the parents when they were forced to migrate." Kestrel picked up her cup of hot chocolate, swirling it listlessly in her paws. Vans had himself his own small cup--a treasured gift from one of the young ones they trained and exalted a few months back. The bandage on his face was a little darker than the white patches on his face. In front of him, on her desk, was the closed first aid kit, one of the seven they had stocked for emergencies such as this. "I know," she said, because she did. "Often, though, adult Mirrors aren't alone unless they have been injured. Did she seem okay to you?" "She--hmm." Vans looked up toward the ceiling, one fan half-open on one side, the other loose. Thinking. "Well. She did have a scar on her shoulder. I don't know how old it was, though. I'm not a doctor." "And you're sure you didn't find any other Mirrors?" "Trust me, if I did, then I would have let you know." The fae shook his head, fins drooping with a tired confusion. "But I didn't see anyone else. Just her." "Hmm… odd. Usually if a Mirror manages to recover from their injury, they go to join a pack. But she's been lingering around here for a week at this point, right?" "That's what Orion said," Vans agreed, nodding. "Or at least, that's when he first saw her. Then Ori caught a glimpse of her during recess, and--" "Ori did? When?" "Yesterday. Today? That's why I was gone all day." Vans lifted his cup and drank it, a contented sort of sway in the movement of his tail. "And--well, when I found her, she was alone. Naturally, I tried to talk to her." "You're a tiny little idiot." "Gee, thanks. Anyway, naturally, she didn't want to, so she fled." He finished his cup, so Kestrel took a moment to reach behind her to take the desecrated teapot and refill it. He didn't say thank you, but his fins did give a smooth fold, and he nodded his head graciously. "Anyway, I ended up being able to talk to her. She stopped at the marshy area--you know, the one between here and the neighboring wastes." Kestrel stiffened at that, claws curling. "Don't tell me that you went there." "Don't be ridiculous. I know how dangerous that place is. Not as well as you, but I do know better than to go there alone." Empty though his tone sounded, it slighted with a mere fraction of the surprise that the fanning of his fins gave, the bewildered expression that he gave her impossible to miss. Kestrel allowed herself to relax, sighing, rubbing her forehead. "Right. Of course. I know. Sorry." The silence between them stretched onward into minutes. Distantly, she heard the sound of rain begin to settle in. She didn't remember seeing clouds that day. Then again, she didn't remember seeing clouds [i]that[/i] day, either. Eventually, Vans cleared his throat, drew her from her reverie. "So, anyway. The Mirror." Kestrel blinked and shook her head, forcing those thoughts away from herself, filing it away for a later time. "Right. The Mirror." It was funny. Usually she was the one to bring Vans back from becoming lost in his thoughts. "I don't think we need to worry about her," he continued. "At least not very much. After all, she didn't attack me until she was trying to double back from that boggy place. It was only then that I got hurt. Yes, I did disinfect it. It was the first thing I did when I came home." "Good." She allowed herself to breathe. "When I asked her what she was doing around here, she said she was looking for something." "Looking for something?" Kestrel tilted her head at that, brow furrowing. "Yeah. She said something about a Mirror." "She's looking for someone?" "Maybe." His fins quirked dubiously, a soft shrug all the answer she needed. He didn't know. Still, to his credit, he tried to come up with an answer. "Maybe she has a mate she's trying to find? She seemed fairly young for that, though. Wouldn't answer when I asked if she was looking for someone. All she did was hiss at me." "Did you hiss back?" Kestrel nudged, quirking her head to the side with an easy smirk. "Of course not." There was that surprise again, that fraction of a tone. "Don't be ridiculous. I didn't want to get eaten." Kestrel hummed again, closing her eyes for a moment, considering. Well… from what she heard, this dragon didn't sound like she was interested in attacking the young ones. That was a net positive, at the very least. That was the main concern she and the other superiors here had ever since that evening. That fear that the Mirror might rush up out of nowhere and snag her teeth into one of the little ones, dragging them away where the next time they might be found were when they were nothing but bones. The thought chilled her to her core, and she'd decided in that moment a week ago that she would never let that happen. But now there was another issue--the other Mirror. If that Mirror she was looking for was indeed here, or around here, then the hatchlings were in no less danger. In fact, if there was another Mirror here, they (very likely) might not have even been injured and were (most likely) a part of a pack of hunters. If nothing else, that most likely scenario was even more dangerous than merely a single injured Mirror slinking about the woods. Kestrel opened her eyes then, gaze hardening firmly. "We're going to set up more guard shifts," she said. "We'll see if we can find some Nocturnes for nightwatch, if nothing else. If there's another Mirror, there may be another pack--and I don't want to take any chances." Vans hummed, nodded his head, and set his empty cup down on the desk. "All right, Kes. Let's start planning out the new guard schedule."
July 6 2021 wrote:
Footsteps sounded behind them. "Don't turn around."

Footsteps sounded behind her. "Don't turn around," he said.

Naturally, she did so anyway.

"...Vans, what happened?"

If there were a way for a fae to sound impish, Vans did just that. He opened his mouth to speak, struggling to find his words, stumbling over his own tongue. Monotone though he was, the fanning and folding of his fins didn't lie, flaring open and pulling themselves back faster than she could get a read on him. "Well, that's--er, so--nothing. Nothing, obviously."

She didn't believe him. After all, when he left the lair, he didn't have that wicked scratch over his face.

"Vans, why are you lying to me?"

"I'm not lying!" he exclaimed--no, more said loudly--fins folding back against his head as his forepaws wrung themselves together. "It's--well, it's nothing. I took care of it." A pause. "...Sort of."

"Did one of the young ones accidentally scratch you?"

"Well--yes!" Vans straightened up, staring into her eyes, wide and pink, stark against his patchy white-and-yellow pattern. It seemed all he could do to do so, with how she stared back at him, eyes narrowed and brows raised. "Yes. It was a nightmare, you see. I heard one of the hatchlings whining in her sleep, so I went to see what the problem was."

"Mmm hmm."

"And when I woke her up, she attacked me. It must have been a horrible nightmare. She wouldn't tell me what it was, but if it was that terrifying that she attacked in her sleep, I get that." His fins shivered slightly, but he seemed more confident, gesturing with his hands as he spoke, tail uncurling from around his feet, wings beginning to loosen up around him. "Luckily she didn't wake up anyone else, but I managed to calm her down afterward, you see."

"I see."

"You don't believe me."

"I don't. Vans, you've been gone all day. Lights out is 8 PM, isn't it? So tell me--what time is it right now?"

Vans fidgeted, averting his eyes from the Guardian, tapping his claws together. Instead he directed his gaze around the room, eyes roving about her office-den hybrid, until they found their mark and stared at the grandfather clock standing tall against the wall. "...It's 7:59."

His body gave a sharp jolt as the time shifted to 8, the sound of the clock's time sounding like a distant gong. One, two, three, four, five--until at the eighth stroke, silence spread between them. Outside in the hallway, she could hear the shuffling of the floorboards, claws dragging against the wooden panels while off in the distance, hatchling dragons of all kinds groaned and moaned about being sent to bed. She knew the caretakers would do their jobs well enough that the hatchlings would get plenty of sleep for tomorrow. She also knew, just by looking at the fae before her, that he'd probably rather be dealing with feisty children than be standing before her now like this.

Kestrel stared at him, he looked up at her, and all at once, his defense crumbled to pieces.

"I didn't want you to worry," he said. If a fae could sound meek, he did--she always noticed, very distinctly, that a fae that grew among other dragons in a community always seemed to have at least some semblance of affliction. It was good of dragons to commune with each other, she'd thought, especially at such a young and impressionable age. That was why this place was made the way it ended up being.

"Well, I worried anyway." Her wings drooped down to her side, voice drooping with them, allowing her worry and concern to make themselves noticeable. She knew how even still, he struggled with reading tone--it was a conscientious choice, an intentional movement. She'd hate to think that he believed she was angry at him--she wasn't, after all, and stiffness (she realized, suddenly) was reproach and anger to a fae. "Vans, where were you?"

"I didn't want you to worry," he said again, looking away from her. "Look, I took care of it, all right? It's nothing."

Kestrel hummed to herself, shortly, briefly, humming a thought and rolling it over in her head for a few moments. "...Is this about the stray Mirror that Orion saw?"

Vans blinked a few times at that, turning his head to look at her, fins wide with shock. "He… told you?"

His fans flicked. "He told you."

Then they drooped, allowing gravity to be their masters, and he looked away. "Of course he told you."

"...Don't tell me that you went off to find them."

His tail lashed, lifting up and down and hitting the ground antsily, for all intents and purposes reminiscent of a temperamental cat. "Er… she, actually."

Kestrel sighed, punching her claws against the bridge of her nose. "Vans, please don't tell me."

"I didn't want you to worry," he argued. "You already had so much on your plate, and I didn't have anything else to do anyway."

"Did you really forget that we were supposed to be taking Calcifer to the Mire for training today?" she murmured, shaking her head. "Vans, please."

"...Oh. I… did forget, actually. Sorry."

She didn't even have to look at him to know that he was being honest. Vans had that misfortune about him--that tendency to forget.

"It's fine." She sighed again, shaking her head and lowering her paw. "I'm just glad you're all right. I was worried sick about you, you tiny idiot."

"Heh. Thanks, Kes." He chuckled. The tonelessness of it might have been eerie to some, but to others more aquatinted with the mannerisms of fae, it was a relief.

And oh, how aquatinted she was. They'd known each other for years, after all.

"So tell me what happened. And try not to lie this time."

"It isn't that uncommon for an injured Mirror to be left alone, you know," Kestrel murmured, tapping her claws thoughtfully on the oaken desk. "I mean, we've had Mirrors brought to us plenty of times. They were alone."

"Actually, about that. The Mirrors we take care of are always hatchlings--runts of the litter or nests abandoned early by the parents when they were forced to migrate."

Kestrel picked up her cup of hot chocolate, swirling it listlessly in her paws. Vans had himself his own small cup--a treasured gift from one of the young ones they trained and exalted a few months back. The bandage on his face was a little darker than the white patches on his face. In front of him, on her desk, was the closed first aid kit, one of the seven they had stocked for emergencies such as this.

"I know," she said, because she did. "Often, though, adult Mirrors aren't alone unless they have been injured. Did she seem okay to you?"

"She--hmm." Vans looked up toward the ceiling, one fan half-open on one side, the other loose. Thinking. "Well. She did have a scar on her shoulder. I don't know how old it was, though. I'm not a doctor."

"And you're sure you didn't find any other Mirrors?"

"Trust me, if I did, then I would have let you know." The fae shook his head, fins drooping with a tired confusion. "But I didn't see anyone else. Just her."

"Hmm… odd. Usually if a Mirror manages to recover from their injury, they go to join a pack. But she's been lingering around here for a week at this point, right?"

"That's what Orion said," Vans agreed, nodding. "Or at least, that's when he first saw her. Then Ori caught a glimpse of her during recess, and--"

"Ori did? When?"

"Yesterday. Today? That's why I was gone all day." Vans lifted his cup and drank it, a contented sort of sway in the movement of his tail. "And--well, when I found her, she was alone. Naturally, I tried to talk to her."

"You're a tiny little idiot."

"Gee, thanks. Anyway, naturally, she didn't want to, so she fled."

He finished his cup, so Kestrel took a moment to reach behind her to take the desecrated teapot and refill it. He didn't say thank you, but his fins did give a smooth fold, and he nodded his head graciously. "Anyway, I ended up being able to talk to her. She stopped at the marshy area--you know, the one between here and the neighboring wastes."

Kestrel stiffened at that, claws curling. "Don't tell me that you went there."

"Don't be ridiculous. I know how dangerous that place is. Not as well as you, but I do know better than to go there alone."

Empty though his tone sounded, it slighted with a mere fraction of the surprise that the fanning of his fins gave, the bewildered expression that he gave her impossible to miss. Kestrel allowed herself to relax, sighing, rubbing her forehead. "Right. Of course. I know. Sorry."

The silence between them stretched onward into minutes. Distantly, she heard the sound of rain begin to settle in.

She didn't remember seeing clouds that day. Then again, she didn't remember seeing clouds that day, either.

Eventually, Vans cleared his throat, drew her from her reverie. "So, anyway. The Mirror."

Kestrel blinked and shook her head, forcing those thoughts away from herself, filing it away for a later time. "Right. The Mirror."

It was funny. Usually she was the one to bring Vans back from becoming lost in his thoughts.

"I don't think we need to worry about her," he continued. "At least not very much. After all, she didn't attack me until she was trying to double back from that boggy place. It was only then that I got hurt. Yes, I did disinfect it. It was the first thing I did when I came home."

"Good." She allowed herself to breathe.

"When I asked her what she was doing around here, she said she was looking for something."

"Looking for something?" Kestrel tilted her head at that, brow furrowing.

"Yeah. She said something about a Mirror."

"She's looking for someone?"

"Maybe." His fins quirked dubiously, a soft shrug all the answer she needed. He didn't know. Still, to his credit, he tried to come up with an answer. "Maybe she has a mate she's trying to find? She seemed fairly young for that, though. Wouldn't answer when I asked if she was looking for someone. All she did was hiss at me."

"Did you hiss back?" Kestrel nudged, quirking her head to the side with an easy smirk.

"Of course not." There was that surprise again, that fraction of a tone. "Don't be ridiculous. I didn't want to get eaten."

Kestrel hummed again, closing her eyes for a moment, considering. Well… from what she heard, this dragon didn't sound like she was interested in attacking the young ones. That was a net positive, at the very least. That was the main concern she and the other superiors here had ever since that evening. That fear that the Mirror might rush up out of nowhere and snag her teeth into one of the little ones, dragging them away where the next time they might be found were when they were nothing but bones.

The thought chilled her to her core, and she'd decided in that moment a week ago that she would never let that happen.

But now there was another issue--the other Mirror. If that Mirror she was looking for was indeed here, or around here, then the hatchlings were in no less danger. In fact, if there was another Mirror here, they (very likely) might not have even been injured and were (most likely) a part of a pack of hunters.

If nothing else, that most likely scenario was even more dangerous than merely a single injured Mirror slinking about the woods.

Kestrel opened her eyes then, gaze hardening firmly. "We're going to set up more guard shifts," she said. "We'll see if we can find some Nocturnes for nightwatch, if nothing else. If there's another Mirror, there may be another pack--and I don't want to take any chances."

Vans hummed, nodded his head, and set his empty cup down on the desk. "All right, Kes. Let's start planning out the new guard schedule."
nWiQNX9.png
mlHpBMC.pngqhK4FYS.pngPgv53XB.pngtqGkHih.png
nafQSbU.pngU9LN0Un.pngGXPwpIa.pngszLFrpq.png
YMPbu9R.png
@fyi thank you, she really is very pretty! ;v; and that sweater fits her perfectly haha
and yeah honestly, thinking about it is like damn, no matter what type of performance, that's still so much work. oof. and yeah! puddles is short of the full "puddles sea bubbles" stage name she thought of herself, which is supposed to sound a bit silly / show she's still an amateur.
she's ready for some extreme solutions, i guess :'D not always thinking things through.
and also yeah, i honestly even kind of projected in there for a bit, as it's a similar struggle i've been dealing with for a while, where i've been drawing all my life, but the moment i was in uni or had to do it for work it felt like it just sucked life out of me, so now i'm not even sure if it's something i could do for like, an actual stable job. but who knows! just like with bea, we'll see i guess, haha
@fyi thank you, she really is very pretty! ;v; and that sweater fits her perfectly haha
and yeah honestly, thinking about it is like damn, no matter what type of performance, that's still so much work. oof. and yeah! puddles is short of the full "puddles sea bubbles" stage name she thought of herself, which is supposed to sound a bit silly / show she's still an amateur.
she's ready for some extreme solutions, i guess :'D not always thinking things through.
and also yeah, i honestly even kind of projected in there for a bit, as it's a similar struggle i've been dealing with for a while, where i've been drawing all my life, but the moment i was in uni or had to do it for work it felt like it just sucked life out of me, so now i'm not even sure if it's something i could do for like, an actual stable job. but who knows! just like with bea, we'll see i guess, haha
tumblr_inline_nbe8duyTA81qg78ij.png
- bek
- they / ae; 27
- FRT +10
Not going to write today, just answering questions!
All the lore I'll be writing here takes place in the FR universe; Lerita here is the same one from my first post here! She won that battle against Hedera, and Ortie is Hedera's daughter. All the characters mentioned in this passage are harpies.
Not going to write today, just answering questions!
All the lore I'll be writing here takes place in the FR universe; Lerita here is the same one from my first post here! She won that battle against Hedera, and Ortie is Hedera's daughter. All the characters mentioned in this passage are harpies.
fMy4Ig7.png
Hello again! Was busy recently, but finally found time to write for this again. College apps are [s]slowly[/s] siphoning my sanity, so... yep. I wrote fanfic. Who knew college apps would be the push I needed to actually put fanfic online? Anyways, this is based on Nimona, and I don't think there are spoilers for any major events of the comic. As usual, constructive criticism welcome! [center][quote=July 5 2021][font=century gothic][size=5]"Was it worth it?" they asked. "Was it enough?"[/size][/quote][/center] Nimona watched as her boss, Lord Blackheart, fought with his nemesis, Sir Goldenloin, swords clanging as they slashed at each other. In the distance, guards rushed towards them. As much as she wanted to turn into a bear and tear the guards apart, Lord Blackheart was stubbornly opposed to killing what he considered innocent people. Instead, she shifted into a owl as arrows whistled past her. She flew towards the two men. Using her enhanced hearing, she listened to their argument. "Was it worth it?" demanded Lord Blackheart over the ringing of blades. "What are you talking about?" asked Sir Goldenloin. He looked slightly confused. Lord Blackheart parried a blow above his head, his metal arm glinting in the golden light of the setting sun. "Blowing up my arm because I beat you at the joust. Becoming a puppet for the Institute and the Director. Was it worth it? Are you happy now?" "It was an accident! It's not my fault you chose to become a villain!" Sir Goldenloin countered. "I didn't choose it! You and the Institute forced it on me!" spat Lord Blackheart. He saw Nimona approaching, so he began to retreat. Finally, Nimona was close enough. She shifted into a horse and stopped next to Lord Blackheart. "Hey boss, need a lift?" she asked. He grabbed her mane and swung on. As she prepared to gallop away, she saw Sir Goldenloin out of the corner of her eye, watching Lord Blackheart with a regretful gaze. "So," asked Nimona. "Can I kill him now? I could trample him, set him on fire..." "No," snapped Lord Blackheart. He sighed. "Let's just go home."
Hello again! Was busy recently, but finally found time to write for this again. College apps are slowly siphoning my sanity, so... yep. I wrote fanfic. Who knew college apps would be the push I needed to actually put fanfic online? Anyways, this is based on Nimona, and I don't think there are spoilers for any major events of the comic. As usual, constructive criticism welcome!
July 5 2021 wrote:
"Was it worth it?" they asked. "Was it enough?"

Nimona watched as her boss, Lord Blackheart, fought with his nemesis, Sir Goldenloin, swords clanging as they slashed at each other. In the distance, guards rushed towards them. As much as she wanted to turn into a bear and tear the guards apart, Lord Blackheart was stubbornly opposed to killing what he considered innocent people. Instead, she shifted into a owl as arrows whistled past her. She flew towards the two men. Using her enhanced hearing, she listened to their argument.

"Was it worth it?" demanded Lord Blackheart over the ringing of blades.

"What are you talking about?" asked Sir Goldenloin. He looked slightly confused.

Lord Blackheart parried a blow above his head, his metal arm glinting in the golden light of the setting sun. "Blowing up my arm because I beat you at the joust. Becoming a puppet for the Institute and the Director. Was it worth it? Are you happy now?"

"It was an accident! It's not my fault you chose to become a villain!" Sir Goldenloin countered.

"I didn't choose it! You and the Institute forced it on me!" spat Lord Blackheart. He saw Nimona approaching, so he began to retreat.

Finally, Nimona was close enough. She shifted into a horse and stopped next to Lord Blackheart.

"Hey boss, need a lift?" she asked. He grabbed her mane and swung on. As she prepared to gallop away, she saw Sir Goldenloin out of the corner of her eye, watching Lord Blackheart with a regretful gaze.

"So," asked Nimona. "Can I kill him now? I could trample him, set him on fire..."

"No," snapped Lord Blackheart. He sighed. "Let's just go home."
Hello! I love birds and music. And also science. zuKl4tj.png HQsa6bD.png