Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | triweekly writing prompts !
I've been busy moving, but I whipped this together for my new fodder trainer's bio. :)

It wasn’t scenes of war that kept wizened Artemis up until dawn broke across the campgrounds: though, certainly, a number of armchair psychologists had proposed this to him. If anything, once he managed sleep, he found it all too comfortable. The campground sometimes grew loud with the voices of his circus neighbors. But rarely were they so rude that the tundra could not simply ignore them with the aid of earplugs and a good book. Perhaps a lifetime of travel had forced his internal clock into a time only the body could track. Whatever the culprit, the deep sense of unease that accompanied it rarely left. He had since accepted it as a companion. Another thing that should have given him difficulty.

When he was younger, Artemis would have sharpened his muscles before his mind. If he looked for guidance, it would have been within the Icewarden, not himself. Frequently before battle, the tundra evoked the name of his creator for the menial - an unyielding sword, stamina, victory. The funniest bit, too, was that he used to think that his prayers were actually answered. That the Icewarden had the time or care to guide his hand was the belief of a starry-eyed fool.

There was no denying that Artemis was a fright on the battlefield. He cut down sizeable floods of mages and swordsdergs while his companions overtook his scraps, as if he were slicing nothing more than bread. A callused drive foward, unaware or uninterested in the fate of those who stood in his way. His favored weapons, the sword and shield, found their target with unsettling success. Even riddled with arthritis, Artemis had little doubt he could still hold his own. His love for the Icewarden had not faltered with age, but his certainty had. Age had brought him to the realization that his wrath was the simple result of skill, not blessing. Somehow, that was worse. Then there was no one else but himself to blame.

Inevitably, some scrappy dragonling or two would come to his door, begging to be trained. No matter how quiet a life he led, his presence was electric to the desperate derg who scarcely knew pommel from edge. What they did tend to know, however, was that they wished to serve the deities in whatever manner possible. And all that stood between them and a life of service, they begged, was Artemis’ guidance.

Though he knew their motivations to be far more complex than that, as his had been at their age. A love for the deities flourished within them, yes, but few dragons wish to solely execute their masters’ will. They look heavenward and hope to see themselves immortalized within the stars one day, a legend worth stitching bits of the sky together in their image. Artemis now knew better.

After all, their light only traveled once the star died.
And yet, he trains them anyway. It occurs to him that this is what keeps him from sleep - knowing that even in his age, he is still another gear in the cycle of war, pushing endless dragons to an exalted future. What laid beyond for them was death or glory, and frankly, they were free to define either as they wished. Perhaps Artemis wants them to come to the conclusion he’s known all along.

Or perhaps, despite it all, war still appeals to the deepest confines of his heart, the only way he knows to properly honor himself and his God.

I've been busy moving, but I whipped this together for my new fodder trainer's bio. :)

It wasn’t scenes of war that kept wizened Artemis up until dawn broke across the campgrounds: though, certainly, a number of armchair psychologists had proposed this to him. If anything, once he managed sleep, he found it all too comfortable. The campground sometimes grew loud with the voices of his circus neighbors. But rarely were they so rude that the tundra could not simply ignore them with the aid of earplugs and a good book. Perhaps a lifetime of travel had forced his internal clock into a time only the body could track. Whatever the culprit, the deep sense of unease that accompanied it rarely left. He had since accepted it as a companion. Another thing that should have given him difficulty.

When he was younger, Artemis would have sharpened his muscles before his mind. If he looked for guidance, it would have been within the Icewarden, not himself. Frequently before battle, the tundra evoked the name of his creator for the menial - an unyielding sword, stamina, victory. The funniest bit, too, was that he used to think that his prayers were actually answered. That the Icewarden had the time or care to guide his hand was the belief of a starry-eyed fool.

There was no denying that Artemis was a fright on the battlefield. He cut down sizeable floods of mages and swordsdergs while his companions overtook his scraps, as if he were slicing nothing more than bread. A callused drive foward, unaware or uninterested in the fate of those who stood in his way. His favored weapons, the sword and shield, found their target with unsettling success. Even riddled with arthritis, Artemis had little doubt he could still hold his own. His love for the Icewarden had not faltered with age, but his certainty had. Age had brought him to the realization that his wrath was the simple result of skill, not blessing. Somehow, that was worse. Then there was no one else but himself to blame.

Inevitably, some scrappy dragonling or two would come to his door, begging to be trained. No matter how quiet a life he led, his presence was electric to the desperate derg who scarcely knew pommel from edge. What they did tend to know, however, was that they wished to serve the deities in whatever manner possible. And all that stood between them and a life of service, they begged, was Artemis’ guidance.

Though he knew their motivations to be far more complex than that, as his had been at their age. A love for the deities flourished within them, yes, but few dragons wish to solely execute their masters’ will. They look heavenward and hope to see themselves immortalized within the stars one day, a legend worth stitching bits of the sky together in their image. Artemis now knew better.

After all, their light only traveled once the star died.
And yet, he trains them anyway. It occurs to him that this is what keeps him from sleep - knowing that even in his age, he is still another gear in the cycle of war, pushing endless dragons to an exalted future. What laid beyond for them was death or glory, and frankly, they were free to define either as they wished. Perhaps Artemis wants them to come to the conclusion he’s known all along.

Or perhaps, despite it all, war still appeals to the deepest confines of his heart, the only way he knows to properly honor himself and his God.

tundra monolair (except when i'm not)
201576c98bceb8a8f26f4f51d994188f4d69cc59.gif5be2f71663585fac901386458cef7c37ddb9502e.gif
[center][quote=July 1 2021][font=century gothic][size=5]"Wings... are the gateway between heaven and earth, because it is only once you fly you can seize the stars."[/size][/quote] @Nightlilac @magiritsa @goldrush @naranciag @sunwolf @fennecfox21 @sanzang @Hemmalaya @stolen @MaybeHuman @simplyonewinged @kimnoodles @daffydil @finnamony @MittensTheKitten @kawiikatz @Peachycupcake525 @xSTORMDRAGONx @Inkwyrm @TheGrayGhost @moonstrucksmorns @CatInDisguise @DriftingDreams @Xuelian @Mercurythewolf @Pinkish13 @SkySerenade @pandakitty1 @PuppyLuvr06 @shr00mlightz @AllHailWebby @Hyzenthlaay @Illusia @AwkwardTrash @LavenderSelkie @wolfdragon3036 @StarryLune @ulvesang @styygian @Orodruin @Crizona @Lavend3rDragon @PeacefulPyro @PinkRose06 @SocklessWonder @Tumbleweeds @CookieTimes2000 @fuzzysherbet @Quilava2010[/center]
poem shop
writing prompts
@Hyzenthlaay
i hope your move is going well! :D
artemis's old-man ramblings, man... it really gives me that vibe and i LOVE it, haha. a quick thing i noticed - i think you switched from past tense to present tense throughout, which i understand through the confusion of reminscising and everything. just be careful with your tenses!
"...unaware or uninterested in the fate of those who stood in his way."
that really hits hard. if you think about it, a lot of media nowadays even encourages that view, with many video games (ignore this random connection lol) encourages you to fights and kill and grind npcs or whatever, and never concern you with their fate. and artemis knows that he did somthing similar, simply plowing through his way to victory without heed for the consequences.
"Age had brought him to the realization that his wrath was the simple result of skill, not blessing. Somehow, that was worse. Then there was no one else but himself to blame."
oh man that line gave me chills... you can't blame it on the deities if they don't care, can you?
@Hyzenthlaay
i hope your move is going well! :D
artemis's old-man ramblings, man... it really gives me that vibe and i LOVE it, haha. a quick thing i noticed - i think you switched from past tense to present tense throughout, which i understand through the confusion of reminscising and everything. just be careful with your tenses!
"...unaware or uninterested in the fate of those who stood in his way."
that really hits hard. if you think about it, a lot of media nowadays even encourages that view, with many video games (ignore this random connection lol) encourages you to fights and kill and grind npcs or whatever, and never concern you with their fate. and artemis knows that he did somthing similar, simply plowing through his way to victory without heed for the consequences.
"Age had brought him to the realization that his wrath was the simple result of skill, not blessing. Somehow, that was worse. Then there was no one else but himself to blame."
oh man that line gave me chills... you can't blame it on the deities if they don't care, can you?
poem shop
writing prompts
Ack, you're right, I did. I've always struggled with that. :P Thank you for pointing it out!
Ack, you're right, I did. I've always struggled with that. :P Thank you for pointing it out!
tundra monolair (except when i'm not)
201576c98bceb8a8f26f4f51d994188f4d69cc59.gif5be2f71663585fac901386458cef7c37ddb9502e.gif
Hoh... I love it when a prompt gets posted and I just immediately have ideas for it. Characters: [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/25017697]Havina[/url], some unspecified lab apprentice dragons (in lore, the clan of the Shattered Tower is way bigger than the 29 dragons currently in the tab pfffft) [center][quote=July 1 2021][font=century gothic][size=5]"Wings... are the gateway between heaven and earth, because it is only once you fly you can seize the stars."[/size][/quote][/center] "Many in the clan will tell you, to fly is to ascend. Of course, literally that is true." Havina turns his pale eyes from the wall-sized slab of black stone, currently scribbled full of near incomprehensible runes with softly glowing magic, to the four new apprentices watching him with curiosity. "And it is true in some other ways as well. Many a dragon... is only truly at home in the sky." His fins are gesturing quite intently as he speaks, though the passionate tone they bring in is lost on all but one of the apprentices - the small, wind-eyed dragon barely old enough to take on a job in the clan is also a fae, and currently the only one amused with the fervor Havina speaks with. To the others, he simply speaks in a strange note; not exactly the even monotone many are accustomed to, but they cannot make heads or tails on what his tone conveys, so different it is from the common draconic way of speaking. "Wings, you see. Are the gateway between heaven and earth for us." He spreads his wings, fairly impressive compared to his small build. "It is only once you fly, you cross a treshold that holds us back on the ground, only then you can seize the stars. Only then will most understand what arcane truly means. To feel the... curiosity, to understand the size of the world and all that is beyond." "You do not need to fly to understand that, I trust." His fins flick in a questioning manner, but again, only one of the apprentices picks up on it. She nods. The others don't. Havina does not seem to care about whether they acknowledge it or not. "You are... in this laboratory, because your curiosity is more. Your want to learn is more. Something you've always felt, yes. You've a question." He nods towards the guardian who has lifted her paw up. "Yes, I... I just wonder." ("Good", Havina mutters in response under his breath.) "So, if flying is not all that to us... then what is?" "What would you think that to be." His unblinking stare seems to make the guardian a bit nervous, and it takes her a moment to find her words again. "Well. I think..." she pauses again, nervously flicking her tail. "See, when I fly, I always feel like I'd want to fly higher. But not... upwards?" Havina simply nods, allowing her to continue. "But I don't understand how that works. Flying feels like I cannot see enough, but I don't know where I could see the... whatever it is that I want? I was hoping you could answer that." "Ahh. You feel... what I felt then. Years ago." His fins lift up in what on other dragons' face would be a smile. "My friend, you yearn to see beyond this world. Indeed, your wings are not the gateway you seek." "What is, then?" "Does anyone want to guess." The guardian does not seem to have an answer, but the small, somewhat rough-looking wildclaw fledgling speaks up. "You talk about dreams a lot. A lot. Is it dreams?" Havina nods. "Indeed. Dreams, altered states of awareness. Meditation. Your minds, really, but dreams is a good answer." "For us, my friends... for those seeking the world's secrets. Our minds are what allow us to see what lies elsewhere... and what lies here, but beyond a divide between realms. We do not fly with just our wings. We will... ascend, learn, become new through our minds." [size=2]Also, a question. Can we suggest prompts?
Hoh... I love it when a prompt gets posted and I just immediately have ideas for it.

Characters: Havina, some unspecified lab apprentice dragons (in lore, the clan of the Shattered Tower is way bigger than the 29 dragons currently in the tab pfffft)
July 1 2021 wrote:
"Wings... are the gateway between heaven and earth, because it is only once you fly you can seize the stars."

"Many in the clan will tell you, to fly is to ascend. Of course, literally that is true."

Havina turns his pale eyes from the wall-sized slab of black stone, currently scribbled full of near incomprehensible runes with softly glowing magic, to the four new apprentices watching him with curiosity.

"And it is true in some other ways as well. Many a dragon... is only truly at home in the sky." His fins are gesturing quite intently as he speaks, though the passionate tone they bring in is lost on all but one of the apprentices - the small, wind-eyed dragon barely old enough to take on a job in the clan is also a fae, and currently the only one amused with the fervor Havina speaks with. To the others, he simply speaks in a strange note; not exactly the even monotone many are accustomed to, but they cannot make heads or tails on what his tone conveys, so different it is from the common draconic way of speaking.

"Wings, you see. Are the gateway between heaven and earth for us." He spreads his wings, fairly impressive compared to his small build. "It is only once you fly, you cross a treshold that holds us back on the ground, only then you can seize the stars. Only then will most understand what arcane truly means. To feel the... curiosity, to understand the size of the world and all that is beyond."

"You do not need to fly to understand that, I trust." His fins flick in a questioning manner, but again, only one of the apprentices picks up on it. She nods. The others don't. Havina does not seem to care about whether they acknowledge it or not. "You are... in this laboratory, because your curiosity is more. Your want to learn is more. Something you've always felt, yes. You've a question." He nods towards the guardian who has lifted her paw up.

"Yes, I... I just wonder." ("Good", Havina mutters in response under his breath.) "So, if flying is not all that to us... then what is?"

"What would you think that to be." His unblinking stare seems to make the guardian a bit nervous, and it takes her a moment to find her words again.

"Well. I think..." she pauses again, nervously flicking her tail. "See, when I fly, I always feel like I'd want to fly higher. But not... upwards?" Havina simply nods, allowing her to continue. "But I don't understand how that works. Flying feels like I cannot see enough, but I don't know where I could see the... whatever it is that I want? I was hoping you could answer that."

"Ahh. You feel... what I felt then. Years ago." His fins lift up in what on other dragons' face would be a smile. "My friend, you yearn to see beyond this world. Indeed, your wings are not the gateway you seek."

"What is, then?"

"Does anyone want to guess."

The guardian does not seem to have an answer, but the small, somewhat rough-looking wildclaw fledgling speaks up. "You talk about dreams a lot. A lot. Is it dreams?"

Havina nods. "Indeed. Dreams, altered states of awareness. Meditation. Your minds, really, but dreams is a good answer."

"For us, my friends... for those seeking the world's secrets. Our minds are what allow us to see what lies elsewhere... and what lies here, but beyond a divide between realms. We do not fly with just our wings. We will... ascend, learn, become new through our minds."

Also, a question. Can we suggest prompts?
[center][quote=July 2 2021][font=century gothic][size=5]Something heavy crashes through the woods behind you. You run, fleeing, desperate for breath. When you finally slow to a stop, it's eerily silent. There's no noise at all. Nothing. No footsteps, no birdcalls, no wind.[/size][/quote] @Nightlilac @magiritsa @goldrush @naranciag @sunwolf @fennecfox21 @sanzang @Hemmalaya @stolen @MaybeHuman @simplyonewinged @kimnoodles @daffydil @finnamony @MittensTheKitten @kawiikatz @Peachycupcake525 @xSTORMDRAGONx @Inkwyrm @TheGrayGhost @moonstrucksmorns @CatInDisguise @DriftingDreams @Xuelian @Mercurythewolf @Pinkish13 @SkySerenade @pandakitty1 @PuppyLuvr06 @shr00mlightz @AllHailWebby @Hyzenthlaay @Illusia @AwkwardTrash @LavenderSelkie @wolfdragon3036 @StarryLune @ulvesang @styygian @Orodruin @Crizona @Lavend3rDragon @PeacefulPyro @PinkRose06 @SocklessWonder @Tumbleweeds @CookieTimes2000 @fuzzysherbet @Quilava2010[/center]
poem shop
writing prompts
@Illusia
yep, feel free to pm me about prompt suggestions! you can suggest specific prompts, or even just themes of what you want to see more (fluff, motivational, angsty, something to do with __, etc.)

"To the others, he simply speaks in a strange note; not exactly the even monotone many are accustomed to, but they cannot make heads or tails on what his tone conveys, so different it is from the common draconic way of speaking."
i like this little detail! although i'm curious, is draconic canonically a kind of flat, monotone language? i thought that was just faes (and coatls maybe???) native tongues. i kinda can't remember, lol.

the ascension speech gives me enlightenment vibes and i love it!
@Illusia
yep, feel free to pm me about prompt suggestions! you can suggest specific prompts, or even just themes of what you want to see more (fluff, motivational, angsty, something to do with __, etc.)

"To the others, he simply speaks in a strange note; not exactly the even monotone many are accustomed to, but they cannot make heads or tails on what his tone conveys, so different it is from the common draconic way of speaking."
i like this little detail! although i'm curious, is draconic canonically a kind of flat, monotone language? i thought that was just faes (and coatls maybe???) native tongues. i kinda can't remember, lol.

the ascension speech gives me enlightenment vibes and i love it!
poem shop
writing prompts
The idea was moreso to imply that, where fae are usually a monotone sounding lot, Havina does have some cadence in his speech, just a very unusual one! :D so it's hard to parse his tone and what he means, because it doesn't sound at all like what dragons are probably used to.

I had a lot of fun writing that speech, glad it vibes nice! :3 And I'll probably toss some prompts your way soon, I've had some in mind :oc
The idea was moreso to imply that, where fae are usually a monotone sounding lot, Havina does have some cadence in his speech, just a very unusual one! :D so it's hard to parse his tone and what he means, because it doesn't sound at all like what dragons are probably used to.

I had a lot of fun writing that speech, glad it vibes nice! :3 And I'll probably toss some prompts your way soon, I've had some in mind :oc
[center][quote=July 3 2021][font=century gothic][size=5]"...I summon thee, [insert fancy-sounding title here], to obey my every command!" There's a flash, a bang, and a hell ton of smoke. Once the smoke clears... "WHY ARE [i]YOU [/i]HERE AGAIN?!?!"[/size][/quote] @Nightlilac @magiritsa @goldrush @naranciag @sunwolf @fennecfox21 @sanzang @Hemmalaya @stolen @MaybeHuman @simplyonewinged @kimnoodles @daffydil @finnamony @MittensTheKitten @kawiikatz @Peachycupcake525 @xSTORMDRAGONx @Inkwyrm @TheGrayGhost @moonstrucksmorns @CatInDisguise @DriftingDreams @Xuelian @Mercurythewolf @Pinkish13 @SkySerenade @pandakitty1 @PuppyLuvr06 @shr00mlightz @AllHailWebby @Hyzenthlaay @Illusia @AwkwardTrash @LavenderSelkie @wolfdragon3036 @StarryLune @ulvesang @styygian @Orodruin @Crizona @Lavend3rDragon @PeacefulPyro @PinkRose06 @SocklessWonder @Tumbleweeds @CookieTimes2000 @fuzzysherbet @Quilava2010[/center]
poem shop
writing prompts
A more lighthearted thing for the prompt! [quote]”...I summon thee, [insert fancy-sounding title here], to obey my every command!" There's a flash, a bang, and a hell ton of smoke. Once the smoke clears... "WHY ARE YOU HERE AGAIN?!?!"[/quote] She quickly threw together everything she could think of; anything that she knew might possibly be cursed, at least everything that her dad would let her use. She’d just come back from a trip, her treasure being a pendant that was meant to summon a demon. And like any other teenaged girl, she wanted to summon a demon. Who wouldn’t? Lydia stepped back to admire her work. She had drawn the perfect summoning circle, following the ruin’s instructions to a T. There were eight candles evenly spaced and the pendant was in the center. The place of this ritual? The Stone Estate’s backyard—after all, it could handle Lewis when he was three, so it could definitely withstand a demon. Excitedly, she hurried to a safe distance away and began her cryptic mumbling. “It is I, Lydia Envi Stone! I summon thee, Oh Great Dead Dragon Qyny, to obey my every command!” The candles flared up, making a sudden flash and bang. She bounced as she waited for the subsequent smoke to clear, but was immediately disappointed in who she saw. “Lustris?! You’re not a demon!” Lydia moaned. The exiled fairy just stared at her. “You were trying to summon a demon?” “Well, yeah,” was the all-too-casual response. “I mean, what else am I supposed to do in my spare time? But instead of a demon, I got you. You’re… nowhere near a demon.” “I don’t know if I should take that as a compliment or an insult,” Lustris remarked. Then she looked down at the circle she was standing in. “What did you even think you were doing, placing them like this?” “Following instructions from the ancient ruins I found the pendant in.” “This… this wouldn’t even summon a butterfly if you wanted it to. It probably only summoned me because there’s still some sort of connection to magic in me. You don’t even have any runes with it.” Somewhat annoyed, she sighed, “It’s obvious you’re Seothian. You don’t know the first thing about how magic is really supposed to work.” Lydia’s face lit up. “It sounds like you do, though! Teach me how to summon a demon!” “I don’t get to say no, do I?” “You already made the mistake of mentioning it! No backing out now!” Lustris almost looked like she was going to argue for a moment before she undoubtedly remembered who she was talking to. “You could start with proper runes. I suppose the candle placement will suffice, but you need something around them. You can’t do anything in magic without a specific purpose; you can’t call upon something that you don’t know the details of. Being friends with a magic user, I would think you’d know that.” “Oh, Samone doesn’t talk to me about any kind of magic stuff,” Lydia remarked casually. “I figured it was pretty boring anyway, until just now.” “So it’s true that you only find things worth knowing once they interest you,” Lustris mumbled. “That would explain a lot, actually.” “Quit talking and show me the fun magic stuff!” Lydia chose to completely ignore her comment. She hadn’t gotten this far in life by listening to criticism. Lustris walked around the entirety of the circle, putting down markings as she went. “In Idkor, we would start reading it at the very top and then keep turning to the right while inside of the circle. So, that’s the same way the runes need to be written. What do you want to summon?” “A demon.” “That’s not a clear enough answer.” “Qyny.” “Qyny isn’t a demon, he’s the dragon protector of Vriuh’s domain. But I suppose that’s a start.” She started drawing in the dirt around the candles, giving a different candle its own word. “Great guardian of the underworld, hear my call.” She stepped out of the circle to stand beside Lydia. “Now all you need is enough magical power to do it. Or that pendant, since it feels like it’s pulsating with natural magic…” Lydia excitedly placed the pendant back in position and waited. The fires from all of the candles merged into one, soon growing to become their own flame. It roared, taking the shape of a dragon. But it didn’t become anything more than that. In a moment, it was gone, blowing out all the candles in the process. “That wasn’t summoning!” Lydia moaned. “It only showed up for a second! I wanted to ride a dragon…” Lustris began to walk away. “Summoning a dragon in its full strength takes time, skill, and a lot of talent. You never had a chance of doing it from the start, I just knew you wouldn’t give up unless I showed you. Now if you excuse me, I need to get back to the laundry.”
A more lighthearted thing for the prompt!
Quote:
”...I summon thee, [insert fancy-sounding title here], to obey my every command!"
There's a flash, a bang, and a hell ton of smoke. Once the smoke clears...
"WHY ARE YOU HERE AGAIN?!?!"
She quickly threw together everything she could think of; anything that she knew might possibly be cursed, at least everything that her dad would let her use. She’d just come back from a trip, her treasure being a pendant that was meant to summon a demon. And like any other teenaged girl, she wanted to summon a demon. Who wouldn’t?

Lydia stepped back to admire her work. She had drawn the perfect summoning circle, following the ruin’s instructions to a T. There were eight candles evenly spaced and the pendant was in the center. The place of this ritual? The Stone Estate’s backyard—after all, it could handle Lewis when he was three, so it could definitely withstand a demon.

Excitedly, she hurried to a safe distance away and began her cryptic mumbling. “It is I, Lydia Envi Stone! I summon thee, Oh Great Dead Dragon Qyny, to obey my every command!”

The candles flared up, making a sudden flash and bang. She bounced as she waited for the subsequent smoke to clear, but was immediately disappointed in who she saw.
“Lustris?! You’re not a demon!” Lydia moaned.

The exiled fairy just stared at her. “You were trying to summon a demon?”

“Well, yeah,” was the all-too-casual response. “I mean, what else am I supposed to do in my spare time? But instead of a demon, I got you. You’re… nowhere near a demon.”

“I don’t know if I should take that as a compliment or an insult,” Lustris remarked. Then she looked down at the circle she was standing in. “What did you even think you were doing, placing them like this?”

“Following instructions from the ancient ruins I found the pendant in.”

“This… this wouldn’t even summon a butterfly if you wanted it to. It probably only summoned me because there’s still some sort of connection to magic in me. You don’t even have any runes with it.” Somewhat annoyed, she sighed, “It’s obvious you’re Seothian. You don’t know the first thing about how magic is really supposed to work.”

Lydia’s face lit up. “It sounds like you do, though! Teach me how to summon a demon!”

“I don’t get to say no, do I?”

“You already made the mistake of mentioning it! No backing out now!”

Lustris almost looked like she was going to argue for a moment before she undoubtedly remembered who she was talking to. “You could start with proper runes. I suppose the candle placement will suffice, but you need something around them. You can’t do anything in magic without a specific purpose; you can’t call upon something that you don’t know the details of. Being friends with a magic user, I would think you’d know that.”

“Oh, Samone doesn’t talk to me about any kind of magic stuff,” Lydia remarked casually. “I figured it was pretty boring anyway, until just now.”

“So it’s true that you only find things worth knowing once they interest you,” Lustris mumbled. “That would explain a lot, actually.”

“Quit talking and show me the fun magic stuff!” Lydia chose to completely ignore her comment. She hadn’t gotten this far in life by listening to criticism.

Lustris walked around the entirety of the circle, putting down markings as she went. “In Idkor, we would start reading it at the very top and then keep turning to the right while inside of the circle. So, that’s the same way the runes need to be written. What do you want to summon?”

“A demon.”

“That’s not a clear enough answer.”

“Qyny.”

“Qyny isn’t a demon, he’s the dragon protector of Vriuh’s domain. But I suppose that’s a start.”

She started drawing in the dirt around the candles, giving a different candle its own word. “Great guardian of the underworld, hear my call.” She stepped out of the circle to stand beside Lydia. “Now all you need is enough magical power to do it. Or that pendant, since it feels like it’s pulsating with natural magic…”

Lydia excitedly placed the pendant back in position and waited.

The fires from all of the candles merged into one, soon growing to become their own flame. It roared, taking the shape of a dragon. But it didn’t become anything more than that. In a moment, it was gone, blowing out all the candles in the process.

“That wasn’t summoning!” Lydia moaned. “It only showed up for a second! I wanted to ride a dragon…”

Lustris began to walk away. “Summoning a dragon in its full strength takes time, skill, and a lot of talent. You never had a chance of doing it from the start, I just knew you wouldn’t give up unless I showed you. Now if you excuse me, I need to get back to the laundry.”

Puppy
She/Her - FR+3
FR Writer/Artist Discord
aaaa