Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Ursegal Common Draconic Conlang Project
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Dragons are unique in having been created wholecloth rather than evolving, so their language may have originally come from the dragon gods themselves and so been somewhat fixed in place by the common factor of having ancient beings to communicate with. They also seem to frequently migrate long distances and settle in regions other than their birthplace, judging from player lairs, which would keep the language on the continent fairly continuous and slow any change. (Though, it's likely that they were originally much more insular, when populations were still small and actively fighting, possibly the period when the Ancients were created.)
We can see from the official lore that Gaolers, a sealed-off population, are still at minimum mutually intelligible to modern dragons, and don't seem to have had any significant contact with moderns for long enough to have faded into legend. This may indeed indicate that the language is deliberately kept stable by the deities.
Veilspun and Aberrations, other separate populations recently revealed, also appear to understand Ursegal- the Aberration in the story uses simpler sentences, and may have less common ground with the language, which would make sense as they have not continued contact with their deity.
The Banescale young may have some sort of genetic memory or hibernation factor that allowed them to repeat their long-dead ancestors' song immediately after hatching (but presumably did not actually teach them the entire language before birth; or, perhaps, it means the Flamecaller intervened to protect them and in doing so gave them their people's memory and tongue.)
Finally, the Obelisks found by the Dustcarve expedition are newly-shaped adults and are already fluent, suggesting gods can directly influence the language in any new dragons.
All this leads me to believe that the Ancient language may have originally differed from the modern continental speech, and other regional dialects, it has still remained remarkably stable over the years.
Dragons are unique in having been created wholecloth rather than evolving, so their language may have originally come from the dragon gods themselves and so been somewhat fixed in place by the common factor of having ancient beings to communicate with. They also seem to frequently migrate long distances and settle in regions other than their birthplace, judging from player lairs, which would keep the language on the continent fairly continuous and slow any change. (Though, it's likely that they were originally much more insular, when populations were still small and actively fighting, possibly the period when the Ancients were created.)
We can see from the official lore that Gaolers, a sealed-off population, are still at minimum mutually intelligible to modern dragons, and don't seem to have had any significant contact with moderns for long enough to have faded into legend. This may indeed indicate that the language is deliberately kept stable by the deities.
Veilspun and Aberrations, other separate populations recently revealed, also appear to understand Ursegal- the Aberration in the story uses simpler sentences, and may have less common ground with the language, which would make sense as they have not continued contact with their deity.
The Banescale young may have some sort of genetic memory or hibernation factor that allowed them to repeat their long-dead ancestors' song immediately after hatching (but presumably did not actually teach them the entire language before birth; or, perhaps, it means the Flamecaller intervened to protect them and in doing so gave them their people's memory and tongue.)
Finally, the Obelisks found by the Dustcarve expedition are newly-shaped adults and are already fluent, suggesting gods can directly influence the language in any new dragons.
All this leads me to believe that the Ancient language may have originally differed from the modern continental speech, and other regional dialects, it has still remained remarkably stable over the years.
@FluffyMallow

Rivershard has the right of it in my opinion. There's actually a whole language tree around Ursegal that shows how the individual flight languages ultimately consolidated into one for the reasons above. All of the variants were mutually intelligible (and really almost identical) since they were all based on the same divine language. And that meant once all the groups mixed together, they merged fairly quickly.
Wind flight was the driver for exploration and travel so you can also think of this as Vensegal wiping out the other languages just by ending up literally everywhere. Lirekal, the light flight version is similarly over represented in the writing system.

Nature, Plague, and Arcane however are notably different because those three had no real contact with the pillar deities in the beginning and spoke something different. These three had something that comes out much more similar to Beastclans Common. The arcane language was mostly non verbal and has been adapted into a sign language in the modern day, and because Nature is so isolated a few little pockets of Nasseri speakers can still be found here and there. (Same goes for Aurekal in Ice but it's close enough not to be too big of a speed bump)

Which leaves Plague, the last of the third age triple stuck right in the middle of the continent. Surrounded by first age languages on almost all sides not a lot of that survived the test of time. A few loan words here and there, especially for plague specific things, but other than that I think the aberrations could easily be speaking something none of the modern plague dragons can understand which is fun isn't it~?
@FluffyMallow

Rivershard has the right of it in my opinion. There's actually a whole language tree around Ursegal that shows how the individual flight languages ultimately consolidated into one for the reasons above. All of the variants were mutually intelligible (and really almost identical) since they were all based on the same divine language. And that meant once all the groups mixed together, they merged fairly quickly.
Wind flight was the driver for exploration and travel so you can also think of this as Vensegal wiping out the other languages just by ending up literally everywhere. Lirekal, the light flight version is similarly over represented in the writing system.

Nature, Plague, and Arcane however are notably different because those three had no real contact with the pillar deities in the beginning and spoke something different. These three had something that comes out much more similar to Beastclans Common. The arcane language was mostly non verbal and has been adapted into a sign language in the modern day, and because Nature is so isolated a few little pockets of Nasseri speakers can still be found here and there. (Same goes for Aurekal in Ice but it's close enough not to be too big of a speed bump)

Which leaves Plague, the last of the third age triple stuck right in the middle of the continent. Surrounded by first age languages on almost all sides not a lot of that survived the test of time. A few loan words here and there, especially for plague specific things, but other than that I think the aberrations could easily be speaking something none of the modern plague dragons can understand which is fun isn't it~?
sig_top2_by_soenkan-dbx7qvx.gif
sig_buttons_m_by_soenkan-dbx7qwu.gifsig_buttons_a_by_soenkan-dbx7qx6.gifsig_buttons_w_by_soenkan-dbx7qw5.gifsig_buttons_t2_by_soenkan-dbx7qwp.gifsig_buttons_u_by_soenkan-dbx7qwd.gif
I was working on the song, and by listening to it, I think an alto or tenor would be good for the lyrics since it has that mystical feel! Just a tip if anyone else wants to sing it as well
I was working on the song, and by listening to it, I think an alto or tenor would be good for the lyrics since it has that mystical feel! Just a tip if anyone else wants to sing it as well
59269143_1ISEN6i010tNi03.png 98ee1391c1a63b84127a07dff64bb584fb3dc48f.png
@Cerastium pinging myself for future reference.
@Cerastium pinging myself for future reference.
thDLJf3.png
they/them
FR+10
enthusiast
..... 5xbfa7e.png Ysj1uQH.png Os4rDIr.png Uq85LDD.png
Ridiculously cool project!
Ridiculously cool project!
just learned about this project, this is so neat and inspiring! bookmarking for future reference :3c
just learned about this project, this is so neat and inspiring! bookmarking for future reference :3c
A drawing of a blue and yellow Spiral dragon (art by me). Click to go to the dragon! | @Quebeal
| ♦ ¤ ——−−--
|
|
| FR +1 DST
| Any pronouns
| My current avatar dragon!
| Hey there! I wish you a great day.
———-Recolored treeshroud icon by yascherritsa. Click for resource thread!
Oh, this looks awesome!
I wish I could read it correctly >:[
(unless it teaches you? I kinda just skimmed through it)
Oh, this looks awesome!
I wish I could read it correctly >:[
(unless it teaches you? I kinda just skimmed through it)
yo4X8PV.pngPsfjTx4.png

rM33C9P.png0304941-D-23-B9-407-C-925-C-1-A4-DDF7-D58-B6.gif
@gubyub it does teach you. the links post has the links to the grammar and dictionary. it isn't like duolingo. it isn't handed to you in cute bite-size lessons. you read through and study the grammar portion and use the dictionary to memorise the words that go in the grammar structure of the conlang
@gubyub it does teach you. the links post has the links to the grammar and dictionary. it isn't like duolingo. it isn't handed to you in cute bite-size lessons. you read through and study the grammar portion and use the dictionary to memorise the words that go in the grammar structure of the conlang
hi staff could i please have clarinet apparel? i love you

6XCD9ya.png
@khe

oop. thank you for telling me :)
@khe

oop. thank you for telling me :)
yo4X8PV.pngPsfjTx4.png

rM33C9P.png0304941-D-23-B9-407-C-925-C-1-A4-DDF7-D58-B6.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9