Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Ursegal Common Draconic Conlang Project
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
@FireHeartSong

I see where you're coming from, but think about the construction of language. "The" in English actually has nothing to do with the words "they" and "them" meaning-wise, other than spelling. Thus, logically, other languages have developed separate ways of expressing these concepts.

For example, in Spanish, there are actually something like five forms of "the" dependent on gender and pluralization (el, la, las, los, lo). On the other hand, when talking about "they" and "them" in spanish, it's all dependent on the ending of the word. So to say "they eat" is comen compared to "I eat" which is como.

I hope this example has been informative and not too confusing! I'm by no means an expert in Spanish, I just felt using it as a comparison was an apt way to show differences in language.

It's all about syntax vs inflection when comparing Spanish and English, too, whereas Ursegal is more of a syntax language, like English. But because it's not just a pure translation from English to Ursegal--Ursegal is like Quenya or Sindarin in Tolkein's works, a made up or constructed language (conlang for short)--but rather meant to be a free standing language with its own syntax and inflections... I think I lost my train of thought. Sorry for going on a ramble on you!
@FireHeartSong

I see where you're coming from, but think about the construction of language. "The" in English actually has nothing to do with the words "they" and "them" meaning-wise, other than spelling. Thus, logically, other languages have developed separate ways of expressing these concepts.

For example, in Spanish, there are actually something like five forms of "the" dependent on gender and pluralization (el, la, las, los, lo). On the other hand, when talking about "they" and "them" in spanish, it's all dependent on the ending of the word. So to say "they eat" is comen compared to "I eat" which is como.

I hope this example has been informative and not too confusing! I'm by no means an expert in Spanish, I just felt using it as a comparison was an apt way to show differences in language.

It's all about syntax vs inflection when comparing Spanish and English, too, whereas Ursegal is more of a syntax language, like English. But because it's not just a pure translation from English to Ursegal--Ursegal is like Quenya or Sindarin in Tolkein's works, a made up or constructed language (conlang for short)--but rather meant to be a free standing language with its own syntax and inflections... I think I lost my train of thought. Sorry for going on a ramble on you!
For the ping list, how do you find your account number?
For the ping list, how do you find your account number?
(They/Them)
@DawnToDusk

Go to your Clan Profile. On the right hand side, under your Username, is your User ID. ^__^
@DawnToDusk

Go to your Clan Profile. On the right hand side, under your Username, is your User ID. ^__^
thanks ^-^
thanks ^-^
(They/Them)
I was looking threw the old thread, and i found this beginning guide. Is it still in use? I just wanted to make sure any of the words haven't changed before using it to learn Ursegal.
I was looking threw the old thread, and i found this beginning guide. Is it still in use? I just wanted to make sure any of the words haven't changed before using it to learn Ursegal.
uDWJxnb.png
@FireHeartSong

Yes that guide is still valid!
@FireHeartSong

Yes that guide is still valid!
sig_top2_by_soenkan-dbx7qvx.gif
sig_buttons_m_by_soenkan-dbx7qwu.gifsig_buttons_a_by_soenkan-dbx7qx6.gifsig_buttons_w_by_soenkan-dbx7qw5.gifsig_buttons_t2_by_soenkan-dbx7qwp.gifsig_buttons_u_by_soenkan-dbx7qwd.gif
@ZarhauTenikaarh look! another draconic conlang!
@ZarhauTenikaarh look! another draconic conlang!
((Kai || they/them))
K6TNbNL.pnggnd7XS8.pngxAaH3K8.pngipiaOGP.pngLrK9u2q.png
@Llanai what's this about a team -eyeball emoji-
@Llanai what's this about a team -eyeball emoji-
((Kai || they/them))
K6TNbNL.pnggnd7XS8.pngxAaH3K8.pngipiaOGP.pngLrK9u2q.png
@YYEstarry

Hello! Firstly I'd direct you to our new thread here! There is a self add pinglist available on the first page!

For your second question, what you've made is close, but follows English syntax too closely. The proper translation would be Vare ta Kasventige where in Var "to fear" becomes the imperative Vare "Beware" and the word you is implied.
@YYEstarry

Hello! Firstly I'd direct you to our new thread here! There is a self add pinglist available on the first page!

For your second question, what you've made is close, but follows English syntax too closely. The proper translation would be Vare ta Kasventige where in Var "to fear" becomes the imperative Vare "Beware" and the word you is implied.
sig_top2_by_soenkan-dbx7qvx.gif
sig_buttons_m_by_soenkan-dbx7qwu.gifsig_buttons_a_by_soenkan-dbx7qx6.gifsig_buttons_w_by_soenkan-dbx7qw5.gifsig_buttons_t2_by_soenkan-dbx7qwp.gifsig_buttons_u_by_soenkan-dbx7qwd.gif
@Llanai thansk!!
@Llanai thansk!!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9