Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Ursegal Common Draconic Conlang Project
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
@Llanai Thanks so much!
@Llanai Thanks so much!
MiowxPk.gif NNGMvB2.pngwwQtqt8.png
Oh, this is cool. Definitely makes me want to include it in my lore, though I think my narrator might spontaneously combust without his beloved passive voice.
This totally gets my brain whirring about lore ideas for this language, though. I mean, like, different breeds and elements would likely have different accents, or even entire dialects - like, a Guardian from the Tangled Wood would probably sound different than a Guardian from the Ashfall Wastes due to regional variation, and both of them would sound different than a Fae due to differing body structures.
Dragons from different areas might even have different words for the same things. A Water dragon's word for "lake" might be the same as their word for "shelter," but an Ice dragon might mention lakes only in hyperbole/idioms - like, "Oh sure, when the Icefield is a lake" - so they might, for example, call silly ideas "lakes."
I gotta get out of here before I stay up all night writing dragon language headcanons. I take one linguistics course and I swear it's poisoned me.
Oh, this is cool. Definitely makes me want to include it in my lore, though I think my narrator might spontaneously combust without his beloved passive voice.
This totally gets my brain whirring about lore ideas for this language, though. I mean, like, different breeds and elements would likely have different accents, or even entire dialects - like, a Guardian from the Tangled Wood would probably sound different than a Guardian from the Ashfall Wastes due to regional variation, and both of them would sound different than a Fae due to differing body structures.
Dragons from different areas might even have different words for the same things. A Water dragon's word for "lake" might be the same as their word for "shelter," but an Ice dragon might mention lakes only in hyperbole/idioms - like, "Oh sure, when the Icefield is a lake" - so they might, for example, call silly ideas "lakes."
I gotta get out of here before I stay up all night writing dragon language headcanons. I take one linguistics course and I swear it's poisoned me.
e1po1oY.png xZ13MZk.png kd85lth.png
@Licorictus

Yes! A lot of things were left out of the project for the sake of both simplicity/learnability and the team members' sanity. This includes the passive voice, and modifications to account for the different breeds and the way they'd go about pronouncing certain sounds. Not to say those things aren't fascinating and wouldn't be fun to do, but there's only so much a handful of people can get done especially when a whopping 0 of us are/were professional linguists.

That said, I have played around with accents for broader regions and a couple of dialects including one specific to ice flight (Auregal) which rises from their separation from the rest of the continent and general isolationist tendencies. It mixes up some pronunciations and introduces a few words for things like "Fire" and "Home" and a million words for all the different kinds of snow.
@Licorictus

Yes! A lot of things were left out of the project for the sake of both simplicity/learnability and the team members' sanity. This includes the passive voice, and modifications to account for the different breeds and the way they'd go about pronouncing certain sounds. Not to say those things aren't fascinating and wouldn't be fun to do, but there's only so much a handful of people can get done especially when a whopping 0 of us are/were professional linguists.

That said, I have played around with accents for broader regions and a couple of dialects including one specific to ice flight (Auregal) which rises from their separation from the rest of the continent and general isolationist tendencies. It mixes up some pronunciations and introduces a few words for things like "Fire" and "Home" and a million words for all the different kinds of snow.
sig_top2_by_soenkan-dbx7qvx.gif
sig_buttons_m_by_soenkan-dbx7qwu.gifsig_buttons_a_by_soenkan-dbx7qx6.gifsig_buttons_w_by_soenkan-dbx7qw5.gifsig_buttons_t2_by_soenkan-dbx7qwp.gifsig_buttons_u_by_soenkan-dbx7qwd.gif
Bookmarked! I had no idea you all moved threads! It's good to see the project is ongoing. I was afraid you guys abandoned this when I saw the last thread hadn't been updated in a while! :D
Bookmark'd! And is there a new discord chat?@Llanai
Bookmarked! I had no idea you all moved threads! It's good to see the project is ongoing. I was afraid you guys abandoned this when I saw the last thread hadn't been updated in a while! :D
Bookmark'd! And is there a new discord chat?@Llanai
0DS7tuj.png
As a native Dutch, now American.. linguistics has been interesting, to say the least. As small as the Netherlands is, I can speak Rotterdams.. which is slang, on the verge of dialect, and it only belongs to one metro. And I spoke decent English, or so I thought, until I moved to the South of the US.. *laugh* It's pretty incredible how different language can be from district to district. Transposing that thought to Sornieth, I can imagine how hard it might be between flights. It may very well explain some of the animosity between flights.. water alone is a natural enemy to electricity and fire, but nature thrives on it.. so what is friendly to one, is an affront to another.

Very, very interesting work :-) I will have to read more in to it! (and perhaps see if I can think of Earth related language.. I can imagine it would be the root from which dialects would have grown)

And to touch more on what @Licorictus said, I would imagine snappers would be more passive in their language, versus a mirror. Mirrors do the doing.. Snapper, well, things happen to them, and they weather it. It would make for very frustrating conversation no doubt (the centaur in Harry Potter come to mind)
As a native Dutch, now American.. linguistics has been interesting, to say the least. As small as the Netherlands is, I can speak Rotterdams.. which is slang, on the verge of dialect, and it only belongs to one metro. And I spoke decent English, or so I thought, until I moved to the South of the US.. *laugh* It's pretty incredible how different language can be from district to district. Transposing that thought to Sornieth, I can imagine how hard it might be between flights. It may very well explain some of the animosity between flights.. water alone is a natural enemy to electricity and fire, but nature thrives on it.. so what is friendly to one, is an affront to another.

Very, very interesting work :-) I will have to read more in to it! (and perhaps see if I can think of Earth related language.. I can imagine it would be the root from which dialects would have grown)

And to touch more on what @Licorictus said, I would imagine snappers would be more passive in their language, versus a mirror. Mirrors do the doing.. Snapper, well, things happen to them, and they weather it. It would make for very frustrating conversation no doubt (the centaur in Harry Potter come to mind)
.~.~*~.~.
~* SCB *~
* accent *
~*shop*~
.~.~*~.~.

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *
-_-JRZc9fI.png
@splendid

Yes we're still going albeit not quite as fast. The discord server has gone down as a bit of a casualty but I run a separate server for general lore writing in which I often discuss Ursegal related things. if you'd like I can get you the join link for that

@Jussie

Aye the differences even within a small area can be profound! I'm also in the southern US though English is my only strong language, but even within my smaller state there's plenty of diversity in speaking terms.

Unfortunately for the sake of the general project we've decided to stick to one dialect, at least in terms of really fleshing things out. I've done quite a bit of more speculatory things on what the different accents and slangs would sound like and how they would distribute themselves.

Also I think that the root language would be whatever language the gods had used to speak with one another. That would be the first speech dragons would know about and would push them toward a single language rather than having a lot of independent tongues for each flight.
@splendid

Yes we're still going albeit not quite as fast. The discord server has gone down as a bit of a casualty but I run a separate server for general lore writing in which I often discuss Ursegal related things. if you'd like I can get you the join link for that

@Jussie

Aye the differences even within a small area can be profound! I'm also in the southern US though English is my only strong language, but even within my smaller state there's plenty of diversity in speaking terms.

Unfortunately for the sake of the general project we've decided to stick to one dialect, at least in terms of really fleshing things out. I've done quite a bit of more speculatory things on what the different accents and slangs would sound like and how they would distribute themselves.

Also I think that the root language would be whatever language the gods had used to speak with one another. That would be the first speech dragons would know about and would push them toward a single language rather than having a lot of independent tongues for each flight.
sig_top2_by_soenkan-dbx7qvx.gif
sig_buttons_m_by_soenkan-dbx7qwu.gifsig_buttons_a_by_soenkan-dbx7qx6.gifsig_buttons_w_by_soenkan-dbx7qw5.gifsig_buttons_t2_by_soenkan-dbx7qwp.gifsig_buttons_u_by_soenkan-dbx7qwd.gif
@Llanai
Yeah that sounds great! I love talking lore with other people and getting input/ideas from others. And it'd be awesome to read more into ursegal, and see the development of it!
@Llanai
Yeah that sounds great! I love talking lore with other people and getting input/ideas from others. And it'd be awesome to read more into ursegal, and see the development of it!
0DS7tuj.png
Pinging myself @Cunea and also hey @BlueJaysFeather look
Pinging myself @Cunea and also hey @BlueJaysFeather look
eLAndXa.png FooterAds.gif
Gary was here, Ash is a loser
2OTuj7X.png I hoard black orpingtons and black-capped chickadees!
I have lore ideas but they need to sit for a while until I figure out how to put it together with my existing lore. Thanks for y'all's efforts :) I really love it!
I have lore ideas but they need to sit for a while until I figure out how to put it together with my existing lore. Thanks for y'all's efforts :) I really love it!
wq9PoXA.png
Haha I *just* answered a lore question that had to do with language the other day & wondered about a common language, but I'm ultimately too lazy to come up with anything myself so...Thank you. You're saving me. Will definitely love incorporating this into my lore...slowly..because that's how I do all my lore. At a glacial pace.
Haha I *just* answered a lore question that had to do with language the other day & wondered about a common language, but I'm ultimately too lazy to come up with anything myself so...Thank you. You're saving me. Will definitely love incorporating this into my lore...slowly..because that's how I do all my lore. At a glacial pace.
She|Her - Ace - FRT(0) | Lore
g67EwfB.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9