Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Distant Horizons
1 2 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
@krondar (Sorry, I forgot to ping you in my last post) That should have been obvious from my second post. I assume the "something rude" is my first post and the double down is my second post. Yes, I insulted the staff and the players. It was on purpose. You have the best (and only correct) summary right now, it even includes a herd of quotation marks like your other post. It was meant to be offensive, I'm going to quote myself for a moment: [quote name="Syntribus" date="2021-02-09 02:45:47" ] I must apologise, that was not only poorly phrased, but also misleading and almost plain wrong. [/quote] That should have tipped you off already. It was a weak attempt at constructing an actual argument, because the only thing I was thinking when I wrote "game mechanics" was that I'm bored with the game, because there's nothing else I can do. Those are sincerely my thoughts, though, but being "inflammatory for no reason," like you said was certainly more of my original goal. What purpose does this serve? Arguing for the sake of arguing is obviously a waste of time. That's why I added the last paragraph in my last post, because I genuinely got some insight out of this. I agree with most people that responded. Some of them got me to think deeper on why I think the way I do or some showed me that I'm plain wrong. I really appreciate that. Do you think I would have gotten these responses, if I had written anything else? But you are absolutely right, there's no point in engaging with me. It's just an endless cycle of ridiculous claims and backpedalling. It was pleasant talking to you, though.
@krondar
(Sorry, I forgot to ping you in my last post)

That should have been obvious from my second post. I assume the "something rude" is my first post and the double down is my second post. Yes, I insulted the staff and the players. It was on purpose.

You have the best (and only correct) summary right now, it even includes a herd of quotation marks like your other post. It was meant to be offensive, I'm going to quote myself for a moment:

Syntribus wrote on 2021-02-09 02:45:47:
I must apologise, that was not only poorly phrased, but also misleading and almost plain wrong.

That should have tipped you off already. It was a weak attempt at constructing an actual argument, because the only thing I was thinking when I wrote "game mechanics" was that I'm bored with the game, because there's nothing else I can do. Those are sincerely my thoughts, though, but being "inflammatory for no reason," like you said was certainly more of my original goal.

What purpose does this serve? Arguing for the sake of arguing is obviously a waste of time. That's why I added the last paragraph in my last post, because I genuinely got some insight out of this. I agree with most people that responded. Some of them got me to think deeper on why I think the way I do or some showed me that I'm plain wrong. I really appreciate that. Do you think I would have gotten these responses, if I had written anything else?

But you are absolutely right, there's no point in engaging with me. It's just an endless cycle of ridiculous claims and backpedalling. It was pleasant talking to you, though.
[quote name="Syntribus" date="2021-02-10 04:32:48" ] Well, I could summarise every game with "click, repeat," or "press button, repeat," if you're using a keyboard or controller. The point is just that every "click" on this website feels unsatisfying. And no, I don't expect shiny windows popping up every time I do something banal like they do in cheap mobile games. I mentioned PvP in the same vein as Adventure mode, because they are both totally "coming soon," just like the new world map or the new modern, but those two aren't relevant right now. I don't think that PvP would change anything right now, perhaps if they'd balance coliseum to make more build viable so actual team comps would be possible. I assume that coliseum was at least partly inspired from Pokemon and look at those games, they are terrible but still get played because moves and stats are actually diverse. This paragraph is where it gets spicy, you're really caught up in the word "useless," huh? Text adventure was merely an example and you could replace it with anything you want: card game, triple A action RPG, pong clone, whatever. I simply choose text, because it wouldn't put additional pressure on the art team (and yes, I'm aware that this is an art game,) thus they could concentrate on the rest of the game, while a few writers could churn out text stories. And by the way, text adventures aren't novels for me, they are about branching paths and skill checks for me. At least the ones I played were like that. There's no use talking about Adventure mode, since it's never coming out anyway and there's barely information about it as far as I know, but it would all depend on implementation. If you're able to breeze through all content with one generic team, that'd be terrible, but if there'd be proper pacing, replayability via different outcomes or branching paths, and team composition that actually matters then I see no reason why it couldn't be fun. I replay games that I find fun, even though there will never be new content. I don't need you to tell me what I need. I play FR because I like dragons and I can't find any significant games that put me in the role of the dragon, or allows me interact with them positively. I like FR because it doesn't have a terrible premium system or overbearing microtransactions, yes it's the best free game I have probably played. Of course you are right, if I want to play a relaxing action RPG I'll boot up Bloodborne, if I want something more engaging I'll boot up Monster Hunter. I don't want FR to become an action RPG, nor do I want it to be bogged down by hundreds of sub-features that try to simulate depth. I just want something that actually allows me to do something with my dragon. I could have the rarest dragon in the game and smother him in apparel and add a skin (and I do enjoy that part!), but there's literally nothing do to with my dragon after that, except to repeat the whole procedure I guess. And again, yes I know that this site is primarily an art site with focus on the breeding and customisation of dragons. [/quote] Indeed, you could. Well, sort of. There's also holding-of-buttons... which I would consider different. So it's a total of 2x the buttons depending on the game you're playing. But that's the point: there's not a lot of complexity available in the first place when you take only a single step back. Satisfaction is in the eye of the beholder. I would also love a balance to coli, and that's apparently planned as well. But there was a whole discussion of that back when they announced the overhaul to the coliseum. Apparently they had planned to do that back with the overhaul, but I can't find the thread where all that was being talked about... Anyways, thanks to community feedback, they moved the stats overhaul. Who knows when it's coming. "Spicy"? I'm sorry I didn't use the thesaurus enough for you; I forgot how much you like variety. I was just using the word you used. It was the most immediately available. I'll improve my vocabulary for this response. (Kidding. I'm not going to do that.) Anyways, I know well what "text games" are, all that I've played require some sort of stats check at regular intervals, and most of them have branches. But you still need the text. And a lot of them have [i]a lot[/i] of text, on the order of tens of thousands of words (some of them reach novel-length), especially if you want branching paths. A couple of writers churning out text stories like that sounds like a sure-fire way to maintain quality. Text games are easy to make in comparison to those triple-A games, and even easier if you don't care about stuff like good writing. After all, all of us learned how to write in primary school; it can't be that difficult. And I know it was just an example, but a pretty good one if intended to be emblematic of knowing what it takes to make a good game in your genre. Honestly? I don't care what you do and don't need. I'm obviously not doing this for you. You're standing in a public square complaining the work going on to maintain it isn't good enough for you. I can comment on those complaints all I want. I agree all those things about FR that you mentioned that are great. They're all the biggest reasons I play. But there are certain limitations inherent in those very things. The lack of a premium system and overbearing microtransactions that I consider required for me to continue playing comes with the limit for FR of "not a huge budget." Perhaps FR could brush the limits of browser-game capability with a bigger budget, but at what expense? There is obviously some way to allow us the illusion of using our dragons for something more than just sitting there and looking pretty. I don't know what it is and I'm sure I'd be happy to get it. But we aren't jabbed at every corner for our wallets and we can enjoy the game fully without opening them once. To me, that's worth my patience, not to mention just enjoying the view. To be clear, I would like more communication from the staff. That's without a doubt my biggest complaint about the game. I'd like a weekly update, even if it's just a "how's it going" type thing twice a month instead of something actually to release. I'd like it if they commented on suggestions they are in the process of implementing. Basically, I'd like actual transparency; I'd spend my money here if they were. I'd like it if they were any sort of communicative at all, really. But that has less to do with budget (requires time, not skill), unlike actual releases. It's not perfect. But it's hardly garbage, either.
Syntribus wrote on 2021-02-10 04:32:48:
Well, I could summarise every game with "click, repeat," or "press button, repeat," if you're using a keyboard or controller. The point is just that every "click" on this website feels unsatisfying. And no, I don't expect shiny windows popping up every time I do something banal like they do in cheap mobile games.

I mentioned PvP in the same vein as Adventure mode, because they are both totally "coming soon," just like the new world map or the new modern, but those two aren't relevant right now. I don't think that PvP would change anything right now, perhaps if they'd balance coliseum to make more build viable so actual team comps would be possible. I assume that coliseum was at least partly inspired from Pokemon and look at those games, they are terrible but still get played because moves and stats are actually diverse.

This paragraph is where it gets spicy, you're really caught up in the word "useless," huh? Text adventure was merely an example and you could replace it with anything you want: card game, triple A action RPG, pong clone, whatever. I simply choose text, because it wouldn't put additional pressure on the art team (and yes, I'm aware that this is an art game,) thus they could concentrate on the rest of the game, while a few writers could churn out text stories. And by the way, text adventures aren't novels for me, they are about branching paths and skill checks for me. At least the ones I played were like that.

There's no use talking about Adventure mode, since it's never coming out anyway and there's barely information about it as far as I know, but it would all depend on implementation. If you're able to breeze through all content with one generic team, that'd be terrible, but if there'd be proper pacing, replayability via different outcomes or branching paths, and team composition that actually matters then I see no reason why it couldn't be fun. I replay games that I find fun, even though there will never be new content.

I don't need you to tell me what I need. I play FR because I like dragons and I can't find any significant games that put me in the role of the dragon, or allows me interact with them positively. I like FR because it doesn't have a terrible premium system or overbearing microtransactions, yes it's the best free game I have probably played. Of course you are right, if I want to play a relaxing action RPG I'll boot up Bloodborne, if I want something more engaging I'll boot up Monster Hunter.

I don't want FR to become an action RPG, nor do I want it to be bogged down by hundreds of sub-features that try to simulate depth. I just want something that actually allows me to do something with my dragon. I could have the rarest dragon in the game and smother him in apparel and add a skin (and I do enjoy that part!), but there's literally nothing do to with my dragon after that, except to repeat the whole procedure I guess.

And again, yes I know that this site is primarily an art site with focus on the breeding and customisation of dragons.
Indeed, you could. Well, sort of. There's also holding-of-buttons... which I would consider different. So it's a total of 2x the buttons depending on the game you're playing. But that's the point: there's not a lot of complexity available in the first place when you take only a single step back. Satisfaction is in the eye of the beholder.

I would also love a balance to coli, and that's apparently planned as well. But there was a whole discussion of that back when they announced the overhaul to the coliseum. Apparently they had planned to do that back with the overhaul, but I can't find the thread where all that was being talked about... Anyways, thanks to community feedback, they moved the stats overhaul. Who knows when it's coming.

"Spicy"? I'm sorry I didn't use the thesaurus enough for you; I forgot how much you like variety. I was just using the word you used. It was the most immediately available. I'll improve my vocabulary for this response. (Kidding. I'm not going to do that.)

Anyways, I know well what "text games" are, all that I've played require some sort of stats check at regular intervals, and most of them have branches. But you still need the text. And a lot of them have a lot of text, on the order of tens of thousands of words (some of them reach novel-length), especially if you want branching paths. A couple of writers churning out text stories like that sounds like a sure-fire way to maintain quality. Text games are easy to make in comparison to those triple-A games, and even easier if you don't care about stuff like good writing. After all, all of us learned how to write in primary school; it can't be that difficult. And I know it was just an example, but a pretty good one if intended to be emblematic of knowing what it takes to make a good game in your genre.

Honestly? I don't care what you do and don't need. I'm obviously not doing this for you. You're standing in a public square complaining the work going on to maintain it isn't good enough for you. I can comment on those complaints all I want. I agree all those things about FR that you mentioned that are great. They're all the biggest reasons I play. But there are certain limitations inherent in those very things. The lack of a premium system and overbearing microtransactions that I consider required for me to continue playing comes with the limit for FR of "not a huge budget." Perhaps FR could brush the limits of browser-game capability with a bigger budget, but at what expense? There is obviously some way to allow us the illusion of using our dragons for something more than just sitting there and looking pretty. I don't know what it is and I'm sure I'd be happy to get it. But we aren't jabbed at every corner for our wallets and we can enjoy the game fully without opening them once. To me, that's worth my patience, not to mention just enjoying the view.

To be clear, I would like more communication from the staff. That's without a doubt my biggest complaint about the game. I'd like a weekly update, even if it's just a "how's it going" type thing twice a month instead of something actually to release. I'd like it if they commented on suggestions they are in the process of implementing. Basically, I'd like actual transparency; I'd spend my money here if they were. I'd like it if they were any sort of communicative at all, really. But that has less to do with budget (requires time, not skill), unlike actual releases.

It's not perfect. But it's hardly garbage, either.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
[quote name="Reggae" date="2021-02-10 06:37:04" ] @Syntribus Welcome to online pet games. A majority of virtual pet games are click and collect. If Flightrising doesn’t push out enough content for you, it’s truly not difficult to make your own pet sim. Flightrising has pushed out a lot of material and updates over the years. It takes time for quality work and maintenance so the user base isn’t too upset. I remember when they used to rush updates and they weren’t always the best. Now they take their time. Not to mention with lockdowns and everything going on in real life their mental health might be drained. Be patient, updates will come when they’re ready. [/quote] Yeah, honestly FR is the only pet sim I've ever played. I don't know what it does different or similar to other pet sims, so for all I know FR could be one of the most feature-rich pet sims there is, and others would bore me even more. So yes, I think that my issue here is just that I'm expecting too much from a rather casual game played in a browser. [quote name="Almedha" date="2021-02-10 07:18:23" ] "Spicy"? I'm sorry I didn't use the thesaurus enough for you; I forgot how much you like variety. I was just using the word you used. It was the most immediately available. I'll improve my vocabulary for this response. (Kidding. I'm not going to do that.) Anyways, I know well what "text games" are, all that I've played require some sort of stats check at regular intervals, and most of them have branches. But you still need the text. And a lot of them have [i]a lot[/i] of text, on the order of tens of thousands of words (some of them reach novel-length), especially if you want branching paths. A couple of writers churning out text stories like that sounds like a sure-fire way to maintain quality. Text games are easy to make in comparison to those triple-A games, and even easier if you don't care about stuff like good writing. After all, all of us learned how to write in primary school; it can't be that difficult. And I know it was just an example, but a pretty good one if intended to be emblematic of knowing what it takes to make a good game in your genre. Honestly? I don't care what you do and don't need. I'm obviously not doing this for you. You're standing in a public square complaining the work going on to maintain it isn't good enough for you. I can comment on those complaints all I want. I agree all those things about FR that you mentioned that are great. They're all the biggest reasons I play. But there are certain limitations inherent in those very things. The lack of a premium system and overbearing microtransactions that I consider required for me to continue playing comes with the limit for FR of "not a huge budget." Perhaps FR could brush the limits of browser-game capability with a bigger budget, but at what expense? There is obviously some way to allow us the illusion of using our dragons for something more than just sitting there and looking pretty. I don't know what it is and I'm sure I'd be happy to get it. But we aren't jabbed at every corner for our wallets and we can enjoy the game fully without opening them once. To me, that's worth my patience, not to mention just enjoying the view. To be clear, I would like more communication from the staff. That's without a doubt my biggest complaint about the game. I'd like a weekly update, even if it's just a "how's it going" type thing twice a month instead of something actually to release. I'd like it if they commented on suggestions they are in the process of implementing. Basically, I'd like actual transparency; I'd spend my money here if they were. I'd like it if they were any sort of communicative at all, really. But that has less to do with budget (requires time, not skill), unlike actual releases. It's not perfect. But it's hardly garbage, either. [/quote] Variety is the spice of life as someone once said. But seriously, I just liked how often you used it, there was no deeper meaning to it. They must have an writer, though, don't they? There has to be someone who writes all the lore bits and encyclopedia pages. But yes, you're right, the phrase "churn out" implied that quality isn't important when it comes to text in any form, that's obviously not true. I'm not sure, if I understand that last sentence right, did you mean that my example showed that I have no understanding what effort making a good game/product (in this case a text game) requires? If yes, then you're right, every product requires effort to produce, just because it's text doesn't mean it's easier to produce than art in any way. I'm aware of that. Yes, the point of a public forum is that it's an open discussion. People can complain about me all they want, they can answer whatever they want, they can block me if they want, I encourage that. They have to live with my admittedly overly snarky remarks, but I appreciate every comment I get. I don't have anything to say about the rest of this paragraph; I agree wholly. I have obviously no idea how much they earn from gem sales, but it's impressive that they are able to stay afloat with them, while still providing an excellent experience for players that haven't spent a single cent. I've got nothing to add here either. Seeing a community update always excites me the most, because I get an actual glimpse behind the scenes. I know it's great to surprise the community, but having everything behind covers just makes it look like there's nothing going to me. Thank you for the discussion. I won't be able to answer any potential follow-ups until tomorrow.
Reggae wrote on 2021-02-10 06:37:04:
@Syntribus Welcome to online pet games. A majority of virtual pet games are click and collect. If Flightrising doesn’t push out enough content for you, it’s truly not difficult to make your own pet sim.

Flightrising has pushed out a lot of material and updates over the years. It takes time for quality work and maintenance so the user base isn’t too upset. I remember when they used to rush updates and they weren’t always the best. Now they take their time.

Not to mention with lockdowns and everything going on in real life their mental health might be drained. Be patient, updates will come when they’re ready.

Yeah, honestly FR is the only pet sim I've ever played. I don't know what it does different or similar to other pet sims, so for all I know FR could be one of the most feature-rich pet sims there is, and others would bore me even more.

So yes, I think that my issue here is just that I'm expecting too much from a rather casual game played in a browser.

Almedha wrote on 2021-02-10 07:18:23:
"Spicy"? I'm sorry I didn't use the thesaurus enough for you; I forgot how much you like variety. I was just using the word you used. It was the most immediately available. I'll improve my vocabulary for this response. (Kidding. I'm not going to do that.)

Anyways, I know well what "text games" are, all that I've played require some sort of stats check at regular intervals, and most of them have branches. But you still need the text. And a lot of them have a lot of text, on the order of tens of thousands of words (some of them reach novel-length), especially if you want branching paths. A couple of writers churning out text stories like that sounds like a sure-fire way to maintain quality. Text games are easy to make in comparison to those triple-A games, and even easier if you don't care about stuff like good writing. After all, all of us learned how to write in primary school; it can't be that difficult. And I know it was just an example, but a pretty good one if intended to be emblematic of knowing what it takes to make a good game in your genre.

Honestly? I don't care what you do and don't need. I'm obviously not doing this for you. You're standing in a public square complaining the work going on to maintain it isn't good enough for you. I can comment on those complaints all I want. I agree all those things about FR that you mentioned that are great. They're all the biggest reasons I play. But there are certain limitations inherent in those very things. The lack of a premium system and overbearing microtransactions that I consider required for me to continue playing comes with the limit for FR of "not a huge budget." Perhaps FR could brush the limits of browser-game capability with a bigger budget, but at what expense? There is obviously some way to allow us the illusion of using our dragons for something more than just sitting there and looking pretty. I don't know what it is and I'm sure I'd be happy to get it. But we aren't jabbed at every corner for our wallets and we can enjoy the game fully without opening them once. To me, that's worth my patience, not to mention just enjoying the view.

To be clear, I would like more communication from the staff. That's without a doubt my biggest complaint about the game. I'd like a weekly update, even if it's just a "how's it going" type thing twice a month instead of something actually to release. I'd like it if they commented on suggestions they are in the process of implementing. Basically, I'd like actual transparency; I'd spend my money here if they were. I'd like it if they were any sort of communicative at all, really. But that has less to do with budget (requires time, not skill), unlike actual releases.

It's not perfect. But it's hardly garbage, either.

Variety is the spice of life as someone once said. But seriously, I just liked how often you used it, there was no deeper meaning to it.

They must have an writer, though, don't they? There has to be someone who writes all the lore bits and encyclopedia pages. But yes, you're right, the phrase "churn out" implied that quality isn't important when it comes to text in any form, that's obviously not true. I'm not sure, if I understand that last sentence right, did you mean that my example showed that I have no understanding what effort making a good game/product (in this case a text game) requires? If yes, then you're right, every product requires effort to produce, just because it's text doesn't mean it's easier to produce than art in any way. I'm aware of that.

Yes, the point of a public forum is that it's an open discussion. People can complain about me all they want, they can answer whatever they want, they can block me if they want, I encourage that. They have to live with my admittedly overly snarky remarks, but I appreciate every comment I get. I don't have anything to say about the rest of this paragraph; I agree wholly. I have obviously no idea how much they earn from gem sales, but it's impressive that they are able to stay afloat with them, while still providing an excellent experience for players that haven't spent a single cent.

I've got nothing to add here either. Seeing a community update always excites me the most, because I get an actual glimpse behind the scenes. I know it's great to surprise the community, but having everything behind covers just makes it look like there's nothing going to me.

Thank you for the discussion. I won't be able to answer any potential follow-ups until tomorrow.
@syntribus bro why are you writing an entire essay on how much you don't like FR... on FR...
@syntribus bro why are you writing an entire essay on how much you don't like FR... on FR...

One day, will these too become but distant memories?
. . .
Yes, in the blink of an eye.

actually people can't complain about you; i'm pretty sure that's against the harassment/callout rules, i'm no expert though

goodness this derailed didn't it
actually people can't complain about you; i'm pretty sure that's against the harassment/callout rules, i'm no expert though

goodness this derailed didn't it
@xxvi never a dull moment on the news threads lol
@xxvi never a dull moment on the news threads lol
33352.png U65gRpm.png EP9270D.png 33351.png
this may have been asked already but I cannot find it so,,,,,

anyone know what colour & primary gene is on the baby bane in the scene preview???

please it's so cute I wish to know for scientific reasons
this may have been asked already but I cannot find it so,,,,,

anyone know what colour & primary gene is on the baby bane in the scene preview???

please it's so cute I wish to know for scientific reasons
3YAN1tx.pngbYt72YT.pngZijKo9W.png
VJvtz2J.pngLRdLP2V.pngmlHpBMC.png
@UndeadCynic petals abyss :)
anyways I LOVE THE CORGI VISTA!!! so cute :D
@UndeadCynic petals abyss :)
anyways I LOVE THE CORGI VISTA!!! so cute :D
awbkQt8.gif
@aqu thank you sm aaaaa

I absolutely love the new vistas! as you can see, I've got blighted pines right now, but I literally can't wait to get to level 25 baldwin bc oh mama
@aqu thank you sm aaaaa

I absolutely love the new vistas! as you can see, I've got blighted pines right now, but I literally can't wait to get to level 25 baldwin bc oh mama
3YAN1tx.pngbYt72YT.pngZijKo9W.png
VJvtz2J.pngLRdLP2V.pngmlHpBMC.png
kay im confused how dose this work
kay im confused how dose this work
1 2 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44