Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Clutch Balance and Lonely Hatchlings
1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
@Tayce @Elijah

Given that we only recently got the ability to "make money" back (meaning, fairgrounds games), I guess I can see the desire to hatch faster to attempt to make treasure. The thing that trips me up is, buying the boon was a choice. There's no expectation or requirement that boons be purchased or used. It's just a matter of patience. (And probably something--I am guessing here, please don't take this as me attempting to speak for the FR admin)--that was made a gem-only option so that not as many people would use it.)

Easier to say be patient than actually do it, I know. I had a one-egg clutch. I considered paying the cash to buy a boon just so I could hatch the egg and put another pair together in the hopes I'd get more eggs. I didn't do it, so yes, I get an extra egg, but...

I'm just still having a hard time wrapping my brain around it, I guess. You (generically) paid RL money for a boon. You got a dragon. You sold the dragon. You're not getting RL money -back- for the dragon, so I don't understand how it's a punishment. Even if they'd given you an extra dragon, you still chose to spend the cash. An extra dragon is not the same thing as a $3.50 refund, I don't think.

I'm honestly sorry that anyone's upset. Just confused by it.
@Tayce @Elijah

Given that we only recently got the ability to "make money" back (meaning, fairgrounds games), I guess I can see the desire to hatch faster to attempt to make treasure. The thing that trips me up is, buying the boon was a choice. There's no expectation or requirement that boons be purchased or used. It's just a matter of patience. (And probably something--I am guessing here, please don't take this as me attempting to speak for the FR admin)--that was made a gem-only option so that not as many people would use it.)

Easier to say be patient than actually do it, I know. I had a one-egg clutch. I considered paying the cash to buy a boon just so I could hatch the egg and put another pair together in the hopes I'd get more eggs. I didn't do it, so yes, I get an extra egg, but...

I'm just still having a hard time wrapping my brain around it, I guess. You (generically) paid RL money for a boon. You got a dragon. You sold the dragon. You're not getting RL money -back- for the dragon, so I don't understand how it's a punishment. Even if they'd given you an extra dragon, you still chose to spend the cash. An extra dragon is not the same thing as a $3.50 refund, I don't think.

I'm honestly sorry that anyone's upset. Just confused by it.
Hail1.png
@Ciaran - Currently gems are going for about 1:75 ration, right? I'd say even a hatchling with bad colors should net about 30k min, but I choose my pairs carefully, so they have attractive colors and should sell for 45-50k easily. So let's say that my eggs are going to fall into the 40k range.

1 boon = 350 gems @ 1g:75 treasure = 26205 t spent (there about). Keep in mind I don't actually have much treasure most of the time-- so it's WORTH that in treasure. That's 13.7k profit on one egg for me (on a bad day)

Which means that by choosing to use the boon I lost (and it is lost that's how it feels) another 40k. Taking this into account, my spending the gems actually leaves the breeding's value at -25,205 treasure (counting the purchase of the boon anyway). No boon purchase makes it -51k in value that I have lost on the bonus egg, for spending $3.50 on the site.

edit for derping and switching gems/treasure around Dx
@Ciaran - Currently gems are going for about 1:75 ration, right? I'd say even a hatchling with bad colors should net about 30k min, but I choose my pairs carefully, so they have attractive colors and should sell for 45-50k easily. So let's say that my eggs are going to fall into the 40k range.

1 boon = 350 gems @ 1g:75 treasure = 26205 t spent (there about). Keep in mind I don't actually have much treasure most of the time-- so it's WORTH that in treasure. That's 13.7k profit on one egg for me (on a bad day)

Which means that by choosing to use the boon I lost (and it is lost that's how it feels) another 40k. Taking this into account, my spending the gems actually leaves the breeding's value at -25,205 treasure (counting the purchase of the boon anyway). No boon purchase makes it -51k in value that I have lost on the bonus egg, for spending $3.50 on the site.

edit for derping and switching gems/treasure around Dx
As someone who started with a 1 egg clutch from my progenitors and had a bit of a hard time because of that, thank you!!!!!!! (Also, all my short-term breeding plans involve mating pairs between two different starter breeds, so I'm thrilled with the 5 egg thing, haha! Hopefully this will mean more interesting starter breed color/gene projects - I'm seeing a lot of cool Faes popping up but I'd love to see more gened Guardians!)

...and then even when I eventually have pure Spiral pairs going, I'll probably be able to sell the reservations for a bit of extra treasure for the guarantee of a Spriral, now that more people will be crossbreeding. To me, this is unmitigated good news!
As someone who started with a 1 egg clutch from my progenitors and had a bit of a hard time because of that, thank you!!!!!!! (Also, all my short-term breeding plans involve mating pairs between two different starter breeds, so I'm thrilled with the 5 egg thing, haha! Hopefully this will mean more interesting starter breed color/gene projects - I'm seeing a lot of cool Faes popping up but I'd love to see more gened Guardians!)

...and then even when I eventually have pure Spiral pairs going, I'll probably be able to sell the reservations for a bit of extra treasure for the guarantee of a Spriral, now that more people will be crossbreeding. To me, this is unmitigated good news!
e2i04jb.png
Titian with TWO 'i's! Please double check my name when pinging me! Thank you!!
@Ciaran The big thing of it, at least for me, is that it felt like a slap to the face for popping money into Flight Rising. Now that I understand that I'm more likely to be punished for putting any of my money into a site I want to enjoy, I'm going to be extremely wary and refrain from jumping on the gem-train ever again. As I had said in an earlier post, I had no idea that the situation could get any worse than it already was, so it was like a 'might as well go for it' move! And then BOOM, it got worse a few days later. Ahahaaaa haha... C:

I don't appreciate getting a slap to the face, but I will admit it was entirely my fault for opening myself to such a thing! :'D
@Ciaran The big thing of it, at least for me, is that it felt like a slap to the face for popping money into Flight Rising. Now that I understand that I'm more likely to be punished for putting any of my money into a site I want to enjoy, I'm going to be extremely wary and refrain from jumping on the gem-train ever again. As I had said in an earlier post, I had no idea that the situation could get any worse than it already was, so it was like a 'might as well go for it' move! And then BOOM, it got worse a few days later. Ahahaaaa haha... C:

I don't appreciate getting a slap to the face, but I will admit it was entirely my fault for opening myself to such a thing! :'D
@Ciaran

I understand the confusion, it's not exactly a charitable feeling or something I'm particularly proud to admit to. xD

And, to clarify, I didn't buy the boon to hatch the eggs faster so I could sell the hatchling(s). I bought it before the nest was laid, knowing that money I spent on the site would help it develop. When I did get to breed and only got one egg, I used the boon because for starters it would mean that I knew the egg would hatch. I am not sure if I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get on every day to care for it and didn't want to lose it.
It would also be a week before any of my other dragons would be able to breed, and it seemed a waste to let the Boon sit when I knew I could afford another next week come next paycheck.

Selling the hatchling didn't cross my mind until it hatched and it turned out to be colors I don't like. *shrug* It happens.

And they didn't make it available for gems to keep it rare, they made it available for gems because it inspires those that can spend real cash to do so, to help the site prosper, without necessarily punishing those that can't. Typically things that save time are reserved for Real Cash options because those that don't have time normally have money (because having a job is what constricts their time) and those that do have more time don't have money. Normally, anyway.

I would love to be selfless enough to not feel a thing but joy for those that got a bonus egg. It would speak highly of my character if I could.
And I'm trying to get to that point, really. But I just can't help but feel that little shadow of bitter jealousy. It makes it less fun to play as well. It's just sad.

And sorry for yapping so much xD
@Ciaran

I understand the confusion, it's not exactly a charitable feeling or something I'm particularly proud to admit to. xD

And, to clarify, I didn't buy the boon to hatch the eggs faster so I could sell the hatchling(s). I bought it before the nest was laid, knowing that money I spent on the site would help it develop. When I did get to breed and only got one egg, I used the boon because for starters it would mean that I knew the egg would hatch. I am not sure if I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get on every day to care for it and didn't want to lose it.
It would also be a week before any of my other dragons would be able to breed, and it seemed a waste to let the Boon sit when I knew I could afford another next week come next paycheck.

Selling the hatchling didn't cross my mind until it hatched and it turned out to be colors I don't like. *shrug* It happens.

And they didn't make it available for gems to keep it rare, they made it available for gems because it inspires those that can spend real cash to do so, to help the site prosper, without necessarily punishing those that can't. Typically things that save time are reserved for Real Cash options because those that don't have time normally have money (because having a job is what constricts their time) and those that do have more time don't have money. Normally, anyway.

I would love to be selfless enough to not feel a thing but joy for those that got a bonus egg. It would speak highly of my character if I could.
And I'm trying to get to that point, really. But I just can't help but feel that little shadow of bitter jealousy. It makes it less fun to play as well. It's just sad.

And sorry for yapping so much xD
9g0BXbt.gif
@cocobeef: I guess that's the confusion, the notion that the admin deliberately punished people who bought something with cash. That's the implication I get from 'slap to the face', anyway.

Nothing in the admin explanation makes me think that they at any point thought, 'ahaha, let's stick it to the people who are giving us money!'

'tany rate, again, it's a shame people are upset. I think FR's a lot of fun.
@cocobeef: I guess that's the confusion, the notion that the admin deliberately punished people who bought something with cash. That's the implication I get from 'slap to the face', anyway.

Nothing in the admin explanation makes me think that they at any point thought, 'ahaha, let's stick it to the people who are giving us money!'

'tany rate, again, it's a shame people are upset. I think FR's a lot of fun.
Hail1.png
@Ciaran - Yeah I think we all understand it's not an intentional thing-- it's just something that could have been thought through a bit better, considering that there are USD items involved in that aspect of the site. It's a nice thought-- but I'm missing a thing now that I could have had if I hadn't chosen to spend money here. Like I said before, I wish we all got an account bound egg of our flight. It's over and done and that's fine, I just want to make sure that there's the understanding of WHY that sucks.
@Ciaran - Yeah I think we all understand it's not an intentional thing-- it's just something that could have been thought through a bit better, considering that there are USD items involved in that aspect of the site. It's a nice thought-- but I'm missing a thing now that I could have had if I hadn't chosen to spend money here. Like I said before, I wish we all got an account bound egg of our flight. It's over and done and that's fine, I just want to make sure that there's the understanding of WHY that sucks.
I think this ends up being very fair, actually.
And thank you for explaining it all out. Helps clear up the confusion. XD
I think this ends up being very fair, actually.
And thank you for explaining it all out. Helps clear up the confusion. XD
Personally, I think people who are crying about using boons to hatch their one-egg nests have nothing to cry about. Why would you waste money on a single egg? You weren't forced into doing it, you bought the boon and used it of your own free will on a single egg instead of waiting for a larger clutch. Sigh.

In any case, I don't fully understand why two dragons of the same species won't have 5 eggs anymore. I understand that the staff wants to keep the 'Rare' breeds 'Rare', but don't those breeds already have an insanely long breeding cooldown? And wasn't a 5-egg clutch a low percentage anyways? I'm very lucky that my first ever breeding gave me the max amount of eggs, but knowing it won't ever happen again is somewhat disheartening.
Personally, I think people who are crying about using boons to hatch their one-egg nests have nothing to cry about. Why would you waste money on a single egg? You weren't forced into doing it, you bought the boon and used it of your own free will on a single egg instead of waiting for a larger clutch. Sigh.

In any case, I don't fully understand why two dragons of the same species won't have 5 eggs anymore. I understand that the staff wants to keep the 'Rare' breeds 'Rare', but don't those breeds already have an insanely long breeding cooldown? And wasn't a 5-egg clutch a low percentage anyways? I'm very lucky that my first ever breeding gave me the max amount of eggs, but knowing it won't ever happen again is somewhat disheartening.
So, unless I made a typo somewhere (which is possible), the expectation value of number of eggs in a mixed-breed clutch is 2.7, and for a same-breed clutch is 2.54.

Interesting.

Also, I had a 1-egg clutch almost ready to hatch, so, yay, egg from nowhere!
So, unless I made a typo somewhere (which is possible), the expectation value of number of eggs in a mixed-breed clutch is 2.7, and for a same-breed clutch is 2.54.

Interesting.

Also, I had a 1-egg clutch almost ready to hatch, so, yay, egg from nowhere!
This is a pattern of information that causes certain bits of your screen to light up
1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25