Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [Pinkerlocke] - All That Was Lost
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 141 142
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2698754/8#post_39450880]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Day 8: Lost Love[/u][/b] [item=Noxious Coralclimber] Sentence: New Dragon![/center] ----- [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=52380401] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=19&bodygene=0&breed=17&element=10&eyetype=9&gender=0&tert=15&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=114&auth=968586440067b88f06ba28aedc835e6bb6be8006&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [/url] [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=51366343] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=51366343&skin=0&apparel=18782,2125,29290&xt=dressing.png[/img] [/url][/center][/center] Ulf stormed into the throne room, the floor trembling under his feet. At the burnt edges, ashes and rubble fell away, sending a small cloud in the air. A growl rose in his throat, and he was almost on top of Topaz before the coatl lifted into the air to avoid him, standing just out of reach. "Ulf, what has gotten into you, my good friend?" Topaz's sweet words did not fool the gaoler, there was a venom behind them. "Don't you 'good friend' me!" Ulf spat. "I've had it with your arrogance. Your [i]blood[/i] doesn't guarantee you your throne, that's not how these things work! You've done nothing but cheat and steal and cut corners to make your way to the top! You don't deserve this crown you hold over your head!" "It is my birthright," Topaz's eyes flashed dangerously, "Are you telling me you want to rule this dump of a city? You want to put the work in to rise it from the ashes, fight whatever curse clutches the kingdom in its sharp talons? It may not be much, but it is [i]my[/i] home and [i]my[/i] inheritance! I want to finish what my ancestors started!" "Which ancestors?" Ulf growled. "What do you mean? My royal ancestors? Arcene and Akira, my grandparents who founded the very royal lineage I'm continuing?" Topaz hissed. "Wasn't this clan destroyed by the royal line? I've done my research, I know how this clan fell," Ulf challenged. "Javan had nothing to do with me, he was the descendant of my aunt, not my mother!" Topaz reminded the gaoler. "Yeah, well you better be careful," Ulf's eyes flashed, "Because you aren't the only dragon with his eyes on the throne." "You don't want to be king," Topaz scoffed. "I know you, you just want to hover in those dingy cells trying to promote your vision of justice! Newsflash, things have changed since you and your kind walked free on Sornieth, and we did perfectly fine without you all sticking your noses where they don't belong!" "I may not want to be king, but I'd rather take over than let you keep going the way you are. So consider this a warning. You may think your blood makes you special, but your birth and family isn't what makes you a great dragon, you have to put the work in yourself." Ulf growled, spinning around to leave, "I've got my eye on you." "Oh, you think you're so scary! You can't stop me! Nobody can!" Topaz shouted, but soon he was shouting at empty air. The gaoler had left, and suddenly the room felt colder and darker than it ever had before. Even the flickering light of the lantern that still sat in the center wasn't enough to keep the darkness at bay. [center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/38b30b419b80446dfb5163715d894882/tumblr_pr6wevGMDK1ugssd3o3_500.png[/img] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=52650538][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=52650538&skin=0&apparel=749,26559,12927,13792,13808,13776,13848,440&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=52612924][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=119&bodygene=24&breed=8&element=3&eyetype=2&gender=0&tert=23&tertgene=19&winggene=5&wings=10&auth=d3e75ea834b93db299fd2052f9b5eaa364b8ab31&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/url][/center] The two Khepris' had run into each other, and finding it strange that they both shared the same name, decided to travel together for a time. The imperial seemed to be regretting his choice, as the snapper had not stopped talking since he set out. "I mean, all I have to do is prove my love to her, right?" The snapper went on. "Once she sees that I'm sorry, and that my heart belongs to her and her alone, she'll come back to me, won't she?" "Maybe," The imperial said not looking at the snapper. "I mean, I hardly know who I am without her! I don't feel like myself! I feel empty and cold and I don't know, like a dragon who can't fly," The snapper said forlornly. "I thought snappers couldn't fly," The imperial commented. "We can't," The snapper sighed. "But it just goes to show, doesn't it?" "Maybe you should just give her some space, let her choose to come back to you," The imperial suggested, wanting the conversation to just be over. If only there was some convenient way to slip away politely. He turned to face the snapper to come up with some sort of excuse, but he was gone. [center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/38b30b419b80446dfb5163715d894882/tumblr_pr6wevGMDK1ugssd3o3_500.png[/img][/center] Khepri stood in the streets of a large city. He could not for the life of him remember how he had gotten here. Hadn't he just been traveling with the other Khepri? As the snapper wandered the empty streets, trying to make sense of everything, he realized he truly was alone. His broken heart caught up with him. His soul felt like this city, large and stretching on, empty for miles. What once had filled it and given it life was gone. He has messed up too badly. Maybe she wouldn't take him back. It was just then that he caught sight of a small flicker of light through a window in the palace. Fire! Maybe there were other dragons here, and if the city wasn't as empty as he first thought, maybe his heart wasn't either. Maybe he still had a chance to win her back. With that thought in mind, he pulled a ring out of his pocket. When he found her again, he was going to give her this ring, and all would be right with the world again. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2698754/9#post_39480909]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @HauntedWhale @Disillusionist @AlchemyFox @Tirtouga678 @catmeow1 @Leopardmask @Midwinter @chantric @Dynami @ShinyDecidueye @tigressRising @FallenEclipse @Stitched @Willnotgogently @Sabariel @MisterMylez @Skystrider[/center] ----- I figured I should probably get the traveling dragon Khepri's NPC interaction out of the way before my Khepri was so it doesn't get too confusing with the same name and everything. Khepri is going to be a very interesting character to explore! He kind of got a very difficult song to work with without someone to pair him with right away, so I applied it retroactively and twisted the lyrics around so he's hung up on some lost love from his past.

Day 8: Lost Love
Noxious Coralclimber
Sentence: New Dragon!

Ulf stormed into the throne room, the floor trembling under his feet. At the burnt edges, ashes and rubble fell away, sending a small cloud in the air. A growl rose in his throat, and he was almost on top of Topaz before the coatl lifted into the air to avoid him, standing just out of reach.

"Ulf, what has gotten into you, my good friend?" Topaz's sweet words did not fool the gaoler, there was a venom behind them.

"Don't you 'good friend' me!" Ulf spat. "I've had it with your arrogance. Your blood doesn't guarantee you your throne, that's not how these things work! You've done nothing but cheat and steal and cut corners to make your way to the top! You don't deserve this crown you hold over your head!"

"It is my birthright," Topaz's eyes flashed dangerously, "Are you telling me you want to rule this dump of a city? You want to put the work in to rise it from the ashes, fight whatever curse clutches the kingdom in its sharp talons? It may not be much, but it is my home and my inheritance! I want to finish what my ancestors started!"

"Which ancestors?" Ulf growled.

"What do you mean? My royal ancestors? Arcene and Akira, my grandparents who founded the very royal lineage I'm continuing?" Topaz hissed.

"Wasn't this clan destroyed by the royal line? I've done my research, I know how this clan fell," Ulf challenged.

"Javan had nothing to do with me, he was the descendant of my aunt, not my mother!" Topaz reminded the gaoler.

"Yeah, well you better be careful," Ulf's eyes flashed, "Because you aren't the only dragon with his eyes on the throne."

"You don't want to be king," Topaz scoffed. "I know you, you just want to hover in those dingy cells trying to promote your vision of justice! Newsflash, things have changed since you and your kind walked free on Sornieth, and we did perfectly fine without you all sticking your noses where they don't belong!"

"I may not want to be king, but I'd rather take over than let you keep going the way you are. So consider this a warning. You may think your blood makes you special, but your birth and family isn't what makes you a great dragon, you have to put the work in yourself." Ulf growled, spinning around to leave, "I've got my eye on you."

"Oh, you think you're so scary! You can't stop me! Nobody can!" Topaz shouted, but soon he was shouting at empty air. The gaoler had left, and suddenly the room felt colder and darker than it ever had before. Even the flickering light of the lantern that still sat in the center wasn't enough to keep the darkness at bay.

tumblr_pr6wevGMDK1ugssd3o3_500.png

dragon?did=52650538&skin=0&apparel=749,26559,12927,13792,13808,13776,13848,440&xt=dressing.png
dragon?age=1&body=119&bodygene=24&breed=8&element=3&eyetype=2&gender=0&tert=23&tertgene=19&winggene=5&wings=10&auth=d3e75ea834b93db299fd2052f9b5eaa364b8ab31&dummyext=prev.png

The two Khepris' had run into each other, and finding it strange that they both shared the same name, decided to travel together for a time. The imperial seemed to be regretting his choice, as the snapper had not stopped talking since he set out.

"I mean, all I have to do is prove my love to her, right?" The snapper went on. "Once she sees that I'm sorry, and that my heart belongs to her and her alone, she'll come back to me, won't she?"

"Maybe," The imperial said not looking at the snapper.

"I mean, I hardly know who I am without her! I don't feel like myself! I feel empty and cold and I don't know, like a dragon who can't fly," The snapper said forlornly.

"I thought snappers couldn't fly," The imperial commented.

"We can't," The snapper sighed. "But it just goes to show, doesn't it?"

"Maybe you should just give her some space, let her choose to come back to you," The imperial suggested, wanting the conversation to just be over. If only there was some convenient way to slip away politely. He turned to face the snapper to come up with some sort of excuse, but he was gone.

Khepri stood in the streets of a large city. He could not for the life of him remember how he had gotten here. Hadn't he just been traveling with the other Khepri?

As the snapper wandered the empty streets, trying to make sense of everything, he realized he truly was alone. His broken heart caught up with him. His soul felt like this city, large and stretching on, empty for miles. What once had filled it and given it life was gone. He has messed up too badly. Maybe she wouldn't take him back.

It was just then that he caught sight of a small flicker of light through a window in the palace. Fire! Maybe there were other dragons here, and if the city wasn't as empty as he first thought, maybe his heart wasn't either. Maybe he still had a chance to win her back. With that thought in mind, he pulled a ring out of his pocket. When he found her again, he was going to give her this ring, and all would be right with the world again.

I figured I should probably get the traveling dragon Khepri's NPC interaction out of the way before my Khepri was so it doesn't get too confusing with the same name and everything.

Khepri is going to be a very interesting character to explore! He kind of got a very difficult song to work with without someone to pair him with right away, so I applied it retroactively and twisted the lyrics around so he's hung up on some lost love from his past.
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
[quote name="Disillusionist" date="2019-06-19 02:34:31" ] @Petall I think Ulf is fast becoming my favorite character in this story. I've always had a soft spot for tough, grumpy types who are also protective... <snip> [/quote] OMG saaaaaame! He and Larkin and Zunde are so precious <3 And I hadn't really tried to describe my Favorite Character Trope, but... there it is.
Disillusionist wrote on 2019-06-19 02:34:31:
@Petall I think Ulf is fast becoming my favorite character in this story. I've always had a soft spot for tough, grumpy types who are also protective... <snip>

OMG saaaaaame! He and Larkin and Zunde are so precious <3 And I hadn't really tried to describe my Favorite Character Trope, but... there it is.
___ [IMG][/IMG]
___ sig_button_by_soenkan-dcab06q.png ___
[IMG][/IMG]
@Leopardmask

I'm glad he's becoming such a fave!!!
@Leopardmask

I'm glad he's becoming such a fave!!!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
oh no i think i love ulf a bit too much, i think he's my favorite so far

also topaz stop doing naughties pls, it's not nice
oh no i think i love ulf a bit too much, i think he's my favorite so far

also topaz stop doing naughties pls, it's not nice
@Leopardmask There's probably a better way to describe the trope than the wonky description I came up with, but I can't think of one. x'D I guess it works, though. Also-- *high-fives* TEAM ULF [emoji=tundra love size=1] @Petall That was a great chapter! The Khepris' awkward conversation was good to read after Ulf's and Topaz's earlier tense face-off. Khepri the Imp's short, dismissive sentences cracked me up; I could see how hard he was trying to end the conversation. I'm guessing that when he found the Snapper had disappeared, he went something like, "Oh, thank goodness, now I don't need to think of an excuse! [size=1]...It's really creepy out here, though.[/size]"
@Leopardmask There's probably a better way to describe the trope than the wonky description I came up with, but I can't think of one. x'D I guess it works, though. Also-- *high-fives* TEAM ULF

@Petall That was a great chapter! The Khepris' awkward conversation was good to read after Ulf's and Topaz's earlier tense face-off. Khepri the Imp's short, dismissive sentences cracked me up; I could see how hard he was trying to end the conversation. I'm guessing that when he found the Snapper had disappeared, he went something like, "Oh, thank goodness, now I don't need to think of an excuse! ...It's really creepy out here, though."
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
@Dynami Another one for the Ulf team! [spoiler]This is not going to end well if he dies[/spoiler] But naughties are his favourite! [emoji=coatl tongue size=1] @Disillusionist It certainly was fun to throw them both in that situation! And yes, that's exactly what went down with imp Khepri! I wrote about that in his traveling dragon log!
@Dynami

Another one for the Ulf team! This is not going to end well if he dies

But naughties are his favourite!

@Disillusionist

It certainly was fun to throw them both in that situation! And yes, that's exactly what went down with imp Khepri! I wrote about that in his traveling dragon log!
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2698754/9#post_39457541]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Day 9: Incorporeal Dinner[/u][/b] [item=Incorporeal Dinner] Sentence: 40-50 Coli Battles[/center] ----- [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=51366343] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=51366343&skin=0&apparel=18782,2125,29290&xt=dressing.png[/img] [/url][/center] A ghostly candlelight flickered over the room. Topaz had taken another midnight wander through his palace, trying to get acquainted with the layout, but he had never seen anything like this before. What once had been a desolate dining hall was now bustling with spectral forms, gathered around where a table had likely once stood. Ghostly food sat in front of them, a delicious looking meal of steaming turkeys, potatoes and salads. Topaz couldn't help but notice that all the spirits gathered around the table were wildclaws, many of them bearing a great resemblance to one another. Was this the royal family his mother had spoken of? The ones who came before? It had to be so, he couldn't think of any other explanation. The once great kings and queens of the Clan of Resting Wings were gathering for a feast, and Topaz wanted nothing more than to join them. The coatl tried to squeeze his way in, wanting to get close enough to be one of them, to be a part of the conversation, but such an act was proving to be impossible. The wildclaws simply weren't making room. It was as if they couldn't see him at all. With enough effort, Topaz was eventually able to grab a turkey leg off the table. With a thrill of satisfaction, the coatl moved to take a bite, only for the meat to dissolve in his mouth as if he had bitten down on a cloud. He looked up in dismay, only to lock eyes with a brilliant orange wildclaw. [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/33201294][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/332013/33201294_350.png[/img][/url][/center] She looked away, but not before he heard her words in his mind. [i]My nephew, you have come at last. But what you seek is not something you will find so easily. You have my sister's ambition, do not let it destroy you the way it destroyed her.[/i] Topaz felt rage boil within him as the words filled his mind. That was when he noticed all the ghosts turn to welcome another to their table. The newcomer, however, did not seem aware of their presence, and walked right through. The glow of the lantern she held scattered the spirits, until they were no more. Larkin was standing before him, eyes hollow. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=51536637] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=51536637&skin=0&apparel=23081,12897,12904,10724&xt=dressing.png[/img] [/url][/center] It was then that the weight of the darkness fell over Topaz again. Ever since his disagreement with Ulf, the curse seemed to have been growing stronger. The ghosts were probably a part of that, he realized, the curse driving him mad. He didn't know how much more of this he could take. They had to find some way to break the spell. The only thing that seemed to work was the fire in the lantern. There was something about it's light that kept the darkness at boy, even just a little. It was because of this he and Larkin had decided to leave it with the eggs at all times. Why had she brought it down with her? It was then that he realized Larkin was carrying something else. The three eggs glowed in the darkness, the same ghostly glow as the candles that had once illuminated the room. The light had been fading as the curse took its hold, but now Topaz could see them shaking. "Is it time?" He looked up to meet Larkin's eyes, heart pounding in his chest. The tundra nodded, appearing more energetic than she had in days. It was just then that the first hatchling broke through it's shell, closely followed by the second. The two small tundras tumbled out of their mother's grasp and onto the floor below. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=52876938] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=129&bodygene=13&breed=6&element=7&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=87&tertgene=18&winggene=20&wings=5&auth=4a238b696feb5820d7b12093c5791e58f0c2ec16&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=52876939] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=59&bodygene=13&breed=6&element=7&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=61&tertgene=18&winggene=20&wings=5&auth=c7ea0ec9b692ac896160a993411da3dc31598d5f&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [/url][/center] Suddenly, the two tundra began to glow. Topaz took a step back, he'd never seen any hatchlings do anything like this before. Then there was a flash of light, and they were gone. Larkin let out a cry and dropped the third egg. The shell shattered on the floor, revealing a third tundra hatchling. She squirmed on the floor, mewling and trying to make sense of her surroundings. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=52876940] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=146&bodygene=13&breed=6&element=7&eyetype=1&gender=1&tert=172&tertgene=18&winggene=20&wings=5&auth=4da5086f145111dc00c11a8119fd0b3a5a08fbb9&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [/url][/center] Topaz held his breath, waiting for the same light to take his daughter away, but nothing happened. As soon as she realized her daughter was safe, Larkin rushed forward to scoop her up and begin cleaning the egg fluid out of her fur. The hatchling began to calm as she took in her mother's scent, relaxing enough to open her violet eyes. Topaz had never felt anything like this before. This was the beginning of his legacy. He had an heir, his lineage would be secured. He briefly wondered if this was how his own mother had felt when she saw him hatch. He couldn't wait to train her and guide her the way his mother had to him, before she lost her edge. And some day, she would succeed him, and continue to make this kingdom strong. "What happened to the other two?" Larkin asked, eyes still wide with shock. "I don't know. I know that you can't enter the ruins of this clan without being guilty of some sort of crime, maybe hatchlings are too innocent to stay?" Topaz suggested. He was about as much at a loss as she was. "Then why did our daughter stay? Why was Zunde let in?" Larkin asked. "In some customs, the descendants of those who have committed a crime must also carry out the sentence. Perhaps this curse thinks the same way," Ulf suggested, stepping into the room, "Congratulations, by the way." He shot a warning glance at Topaz, and the coatl suddenly felt very protective of his daughter. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=52380401] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=19&bodygene=0&breed=17&element=10&eyetype=9&gender=0&tert=15&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=114&auth=968586440067b88f06ba28aedc835e6bb6be8006&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [/url][/center] "What are you going to name her?" Ulf asked, stepping up beside Larkin and looking down at the baby tundra. Topaz felt a growl rise in his throat, but the gaoler ignored it. "Age," Topaz decided. "Because she is the start of a new one." "Oh, and are you so sure about that?" Ulf challenged. "Ulf! Not now!" Larkin hissed, glaring at the gaoler for ruining the moment. "Both of you, behave. I don't want you to scare Age." Topaz and Ulf backed down, but that didn't stop them from shooting dirty looks at each other. Larkin, however, was oblivious. She only had eyes for her daughter, until she realized someone was missing. "Ulf, where's Zunde? I thought you said that you were watching him?" Larkin asked. "Oh, yes. Um- I was actually coming down here to tell you..." Ulf began sheepishly. "Spit it out," Larkin glared at the gaoler. "He's gone missing. We were looking out over the city and I took his eyes of him for just one moment, the next thing I knew he was gone," Ulf admitted. "What?!" Larkin growled, eyes ablaze. "I know, I'm sorry. I'll help you find him, he can't have gone far," Ulf offered. "Oh, you've done enough. I'm going to go find my son," Larkin said. Handing Age off to Topaz, she stormed off. Topaz knew she would not stop until her son was back safe in her arms once more. [center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/38b30b419b80446dfb5163715d894882/tumblr_pr6wevGMDK1ugssd3o3_500.png[/img][/center] [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=52717225] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=101&bodygene=20&breed=12&element=3&eyetype=1&gender=0&tert=123&tertgene=5&winggene=21&wings=149&auth=68945d91d144ae8b6a3a68d7b972bf184f2160d8&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [/url][/center] Zunde had never left the palace before. He was glad to be free of it now, it had been making him feel sick. That was why, when he saw the flame in one of the buildings below, he knew he had to go investigate. The fire his mom had always made him feel better. The city seemed so much bigger now that he was down on the ground. He wasn't sure he knew his way. He shivered in the cold breeze. Maybe this had been a bad idea. That was when he caught the scent of smoke. He must be close! Following his nose, Zunde came to a warm building, windows and doors wide open to accommodate the smoke. He peered around the edge curiously, catching sight of a large dragon of a breed he had never seen before. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=52650538] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=52650538&skin=0&apparel=749,26559,12927,13792,13808,13776,13848,440&xt=dressing.png[/img] [/url][/center] The strange dragon had his back to him. He was standing over the fire and looked to be sticking something into the flames. Zunde stepped inside, wanting to get closer to the warmth. Even if it didn't make him feel good inside the way his mom's did, it was nice to be around. He watched, mesmerized, as the dragon worked. He had some sort of metal thing in the fire, glowing with heat. The more he worked with it, the more it began to took shape. Zunde couldn't look away. Suddenly, the dragon took a step back, almost tripping over the small coatl. Zunde only just moved out of the way in time to not be squished by his large feet. "Oh, sorry little one! I didn't see you there!" The dragon chortled. "Where did you come from?" Zunde turned and pointed at the palace, but didn't say anything. His mom had always told him to never talk to strangers. "Ah yes, I thought I saw movement up in the palace. I bet it was such a grand old thing before that fire destroyed it," The dragon sighed. "Isn't that just the way in life, the good things must always go." Zunde had no idea what this dragon was talking about. "Ah, but you are too young to have learned anything like that! What's your name?" Zunde didn't answer. "We're the silent type, are we? That's okay," The dragon chuckled. "I'm Khepri." "I'm Zunde," The young coatl said at last. "What are you doing?" He peered curiously towards the fire. "Oh, this? Nothing too big. I'm a blacksmith, but right now I'm trying to make the perfect ring for my one true love. She's also a blacksmith, so it has to be done just right because she'll notice if something's not right, and I need it to be perfect for her." Khepri explained. "Oh," Zunde said, "Can I watch?" "Of course, little one. As long as you don't get in the way," Khepri smiled, then returned to his work. Zunde watched as the snapper began to work to form the metal into the shape of a ring. It was amazing to see, and to learn something new. There was so much in the world that he didn't know about. He was excited to see what else there was to discover. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2698754/10#post_39490525]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @HauntedWhale @Disillusionist @AlchemyFox @Tirtouga678 @catmeow1 @Leopardmask @Midwinter @chantric @Dynami @ShinyDecidueye @tigressRising @FallenEclipse @Stitched @Willnotgogently @Sabariel @MisterMylez @Skystrider[/center] ----- So today was Khepri, Larkin and Ulf in the coli. We had a couple close calls, but Larkin and Ulf are now level 5 and Khepri is level 4! If anyone wants either of the two tundra babies, let me know and you are welcome to have them! I've even given them each a randomized theme song like I have with all my core dragons, though you don't have to keep the song if you don't want to or have different ideas. I was so sad when I rolled for two of them to be 'dead,' all three are so pretty! But I love my little Age so much, I can't wait until I get another familiar pull and I can get her a mate and actually kick off my second alphabet legacy challenge. I'm not overly keep on the name the random name generator gave her, but it works! Also, I feel now that I have more direction into where this is going. I had a good brainstorm session today and yesterday, and Larkin, Ulf and Khepri now have their backstories in their bios, and I have some (tentative) ideas for plot, providing Pinkerton doesn't have other ideas. This is as much a journey for me as it is for all of you!

Day 9: Incorporeal Dinner
Incorporeal Dinner
Sentence: 40-50 Coli Battles

A ghostly candlelight flickered over the room. Topaz had taken another midnight wander through his palace, trying to get acquainted with the layout, but he had never seen anything like this before. What once had been a desolate dining hall was now bustling with spectral forms, gathered around where a table had likely once stood. Ghostly food sat in front of them, a delicious looking meal of steaming turkeys, potatoes and salads.

Topaz couldn't help but notice that all the spirits gathered around the table were wildclaws, many of them bearing a great resemblance to one another. Was this the royal family his mother had spoken of? The ones who came before? It had to be so, he couldn't think of any other explanation. The once great kings and queens of the Clan of Resting Wings were gathering for a feast, and Topaz wanted nothing more than to join them.

The coatl tried to squeeze his way in, wanting to get close enough to be one of them, to be a part of the conversation, but such an act was proving to be impossible. The wildclaws simply weren't making room. It was as if they couldn't see him at all.

With enough effort, Topaz was eventually able to grab a turkey leg off the table. With a thrill of satisfaction, the coatl moved to take a bite, only for the meat to dissolve in his mouth as if he had bitten down on a cloud. He looked up in dismay, only to lock eyes with a brilliant orange wildclaw.
33201294_350.png

She looked away, but not before he heard her words in his mind.

My nephew, you have come at last. But what you seek is not something you will find so easily. You have my sister's ambition, do not let it destroy you the way it destroyed her.

Topaz felt rage boil within him as the words filled his mind. That was when he noticed all the ghosts turn to welcome another to their table. The newcomer, however, did not seem aware of their presence, and walked right through. The glow of the lantern she held scattered the spirits, until they were no more.

Larkin was standing before him, eyes hollow.

It was then that the weight of the darkness fell over Topaz again. Ever since his disagreement with Ulf, the curse seemed to have been growing stronger. The ghosts were probably a part of that, he realized, the curse driving him mad. He didn't know how much more of this he could take. They had to find some way to break the spell. The only thing that seemed to work was the fire in the lantern. There was something about it's light that kept the darkness at boy, even just a little. It was because of this he and Larkin had decided to leave it with the eggs at all times. Why had she brought it down with her?

It was then that he realized Larkin was carrying something else. The three eggs glowed in the darkness, the same ghostly glow as the candles that had once illuminated the room. The light had been fading as the curse took its hold, but now Topaz could see them shaking.

"Is it time?" He looked up to meet Larkin's eyes, heart pounding in his chest. The tundra nodded, appearing more energetic than she had in days.

It was just then that the first hatchling broke through it's shell, closely followed by the second. The two small tundras tumbled out of their mother's grasp and onto the floor below.

Suddenly, the two tundra began to glow. Topaz took a step back, he'd never seen any hatchlings do anything like this before. Then there was a flash of light, and they were gone.

Larkin let out a cry and dropped the third egg. The shell shattered on the floor, revealing a third tundra hatchling. She squirmed on the floor, mewling and trying to make sense of her surroundings.

Topaz held his breath, waiting for the same light to take his daughter away, but nothing happened.

As soon as she realized her daughter was safe, Larkin rushed forward to scoop her up and begin cleaning the egg fluid out of her fur. The hatchling began to calm as she took in her mother's scent, relaxing enough to open her violet eyes.

Topaz had never felt anything like this before. This was the beginning of his legacy. He had an heir, his lineage would be secured. He briefly wondered if this was how his own mother had felt when she saw him hatch. He couldn't wait to train her and guide her the way his mother had to him, before she lost her edge. And some day, she would succeed him, and continue to make this kingdom strong.

"What happened to the other two?" Larkin asked, eyes still wide with shock.

"I don't know. I know that you can't enter the ruins of this clan without being guilty of some sort of crime, maybe hatchlings are too innocent to stay?" Topaz suggested. He was about as much at a loss as she was.

"Then why did our daughter stay? Why was Zunde let in?" Larkin asked.

"In some customs, the descendants of those who have committed a crime must also carry out the sentence. Perhaps this curse thinks the same way," Ulf suggested, stepping into the room, "Congratulations, by the way." He shot a warning glance at Topaz, and the coatl suddenly felt very protective of his daughter.

"What are you going to name her?" Ulf asked, stepping up beside Larkin and looking down at the baby tundra. Topaz felt a growl rise in his throat, but the gaoler ignored it.

"Age," Topaz decided. "Because she is the start of a new one."

"Oh, and are you so sure about that?" Ulf challenged.

"Ulf! Not now!" Larkin hissed, glaring at the gaoler for ruining the moment. "Both of you, behave. I don't want you to scare Age."

Topaz and Ulf backed down, but that didn't stop them from shooting dirty looks at each other. Larkin, however, was oblivious. She only had eyes for her daughter, until she realized someone was missing.

"Ulf, where's Zunde? I thought you said that you were watching him?" Larkin asked.

"Oh, yes. Um- I was actually coming down here to tell you..." Ulf began sheepishly.

"Spit it out," Larkin glared at the gaoler.

"He's gone missing. We were looking out over the city and I took his eyes of him for just one moment, the next thing I knew he was gone," Ulf admitted.

"What?!" Larkin growled, eyes ablaze.

"I know, I'm sorry. I'll help you find him, he can't have gone far," Ulf offered.

"Oh, you've done enough. I'm going to go find my son," Larkin said. Handing Age off to Topaz, she stormed off. Topaz knew she would not stop until her son was back safe in her arms once more.

Zunde had never left the palace before. He was glad to be free of it now, it had been making him feel sick. That was why, when he saw the flame in one of the buildings below, he knew he had to go investigate. The fire his mom had always made him feel better.

The city seemed so much bigger now that he was down on the ground. He wasn't sure he knew his way. He shivered in the cold breeze. Maybe this had been a bad idea.

That was when he caught the scent of smoke. He must be close! Following his nose, Zunde came to a warm building, windows and doors wide open to accommodate the smoke. He peered around the edge curiously, catching sight of a large dragon of a breed he had never seen before.

The strange dragon had his back to him. He was standing over the fire and looked to be sticking something into the flames. Zunde stepped inside, wanting to get closer to the warmth. Even if it didn't make him feel good inside the way his mom's did, it was nice to be around.

He watched, mesmerized, as the dragon worked. He had some sort of metal thing in the fire, glowing with heat. The more he worked with it, the more it began to took shape. Zunde couldn't look away.

Suddenly, the dragon took a step back, almost tripping over the small coatl. Zunde only just moved out of the way in time to not be squished by his large feet.

"Oh, sorry little one! I didn't see you there!" The dragon chortled. "Where did you come from?"

Zunde turned and pointed at the palace, but didn't say anything. His mom had always told him to never talk to strangers.

"Ah yes, I thought I saw movement up in the palace. I bet it was such a grand old thing before that fire destroyed it," The dragon sighed. "Isn't that just the way in life, the good things must always go."

Zunde had no idea what this dragon was talking about.

"Ah, but you are too young to have learned anything like that! What's your name?"

Zunde didn't answer.

"We're the silent type, are we? That's okay," The dragon chuckled. "I'm Khepri."

"I'm Zunde," The young coatl said at last. "What are you doing?" He peered curiously towards the fire.

"Oh, this? Nothing too big. I'm a blacksmith, but right now I'm trying to make the perfect ring for my one true love. She's also a blacksmith, so it has to be done just right because she'll notice if something's not right, and I need it to be perfect for her." Khepri explained.

"Oh," Zunde said, "Can I watch?"

"Of course, little one. As long as you don't get in the way," Khepri smiled, then returned to his work.

Zunde watched as the snapper began to work to form the metal into the shape of a ring. It was amazing to see, and to learn something new. There was so much in the world that he didn't know about. He was excited to see what else there was to discover.

So today was Khepri, Larkin and Ulf in the coli. We had a couple close calls, but Larkin and Ulf are now level 5 and Khepri is level 4!

If anyone wants either of the two tundra babies, let me know and you are welcome to have them! I've even given them each a randomized theme song like I have with all my core dragons, though you don't have to keep the song if you don't want to or have different ideas. I was so sad when I rolled for two of them to be 'dead,' all three are so pretty! But I love my little Age so much, I can't wait until I get another familiar pull and I can get her a mate and actually kick off my second alphabet legacy challenge. I'm not overly keep on the name the random name generator gave her, but it works!

Also, I feel now that I have more direction into where this is going. I had a good brainstorm session today and yesterday, and Larkin, Ulf and Khepri now have their backstories in their bios, and I have some (tentative) ideas for plot, providing Pinkerton doesn't have other ideas. This is as much a journey for me as it is for all of you!
@Petall Whoa, the mysteries just keep on piling up. I'm looking forward to seeing how everything works out. I also liked how you showed the hatchlings being "dead" -- good way to easily smooth things over should they pop up in other players' lore later on. Best of luck finding them new homes!

I was also very relieved to see Zunde bump into Khepri. For a while there I was afraid he'd run into a demon or something. Plus the characters' backstories were great to read. It's interesting how Ulf's being breed-changed figures into his lore, and it was also nice to see how Larkin and Topaz had met up.

Quick question: In your headcanon, how do Snappers manipulate tools (given that their feet are really stumpy)? I've got them having really awesome telekinesis, but I keep wondering if there's another way.
@Petall Whoa, the mysteries just keep on piling up. I'm looking forward to seeing how everything works out. I also liked how you showed the hatchlings being "dead" -- good way to easily smooth things over should they pop up in other players' lore later on. Best of luck finding them new homes!

I was also very relieved to see Zunde bump into Khepri. For a while there I was afraid he'd run into a demon or something. Plus the characters' backstories were great to read. It's interesting how Ulf's being breed-changed figures into his lore, and it was also nice to see how Larkin and Topaz had met up.

Quick question: In your headcanon, how do Snappers manipulate tools (given that their feet are really stumpy)? I've got them having really awesome telekinesis, but I keep wondering if there's another way.
@Disillusionist

I figured that was a good way to do it! I love taking in dragons from other pinkerlockes, but I'm also very big on lore consistency in my own clan, so I appreciate having a way to connect it through to my own lore that I give them!

I'm glad you enjoyed the character backstories! I had a lot of fun writing them!

Honestly, I've never really thought about it a whole lot! The telekinesis actually sounds like a really good idea!Tthough I think it's too late to implement something like that in my lore... I think I most imagine them finding a way to do it with their front feet, like most dragons. I guess the chunkiness and weight of them would work well for heavyweight blacksmithing, but less so for fine details! I guess that's why he's concentrating so hard on his work on the ring!

I just checked to see how the staff did it with Tomo, and it looks as though they have much the same thing going on. She has a chisel and stone tablet on her tail, while Scribbles is doing all the fine writing with a quill on parchment!
@Disillusionist

I figured that was a good way to do it! I love taking in dragons from other pinkerlockes, but I'm also very big on lore consistency in my own clan, so I appreciate having a way to connect it through to my own lore that I give them!

I'm glad you enjoyed the character backstories! I had a lot of fun writing them!

Honestly, I've never really thought about it a whole lot! The telekinesis actually sounds like a really good idea!Tthough I think it's too late to implement something like that in my lore... I think I most imagine them finding a way to do it with their front feet, like most dragons. I guess the chunkiness and weight of them would work well for heavyweight blacksmithing, but less so for fine details! I guess that's why he's concentrating so hard on his work on the ring!

I just checked to see how the staff did it with Tomo, and it looks as though they have much the same thing going on. She has a chisel and stone tablet on her tail, while Scribbles is doing all the fine writing with a quill on parchment!
@Petall Yeah, I like the idea of these small, roly-poly Snappers being the Jean Greys of Sornieth. Just telekinetically tossing things around. xD There'd have to be limits so that they're not ridiculously OP, though (range, skill, etc.). Maybe Khepri can also hold tools between his toes? Tomo does look like she can manage it.

I'm hoping Khepri also gets a happy ending; he seems like a really sweet guy. :D (Though I couldn't help thinking "One ring to rule them all!" in that scene. xD)
@Petall Yeah, I like the idea of these small, roly-poly Snappers being the Jean Greys of Sornieth. Just telekinetically tossing things around. xD There'd have to be limits so that they're not ridiculously OP, though (range, skill, etc.). Maybe Khepri can also hold tools between his toes? Tomo does look like she can manage it.

I'm hoping Khepri also gets a happy ending; he seems like a really sweet guy. :D (Though I couldn't help thinking "One ring to rule them all!" in that scene. xD)
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 141 142