Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Language-Learning, Exchange & Resources
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 35 36
@Naahva
Thank you for the reply. I do have a tumblr account, so I can check those blogs out, I guess. Also I already downloaded the app, this'll help so much. I would go on subreddits, but I forgot the password to my account, and I'm way too lazy to reset it. I really appreciate your help. I'll be sure to check everything out. Thanks again!
@Naahva
Thank you for the reply. I do have a tumblr account, so I can check those blogs out, I guess. Also I already downloaded the app, this'll help so much. I would go on subreddits, but I forgot the password to my account, and I'm way too lazy to reset it. I really appreciate your help. I'll be sure to check everything out. Thanks again!
Whatever happened to good ol' fashioned cornbread brown bread sourdough Ciabatta Banana Melon bread?
So, a quick question from someone who is interested in potentially learning Spanish: what website would be the best for learning it from? I've heard good things about duolingo, but if one of the other websites is better, that would probably be more helpful.

(I'm also interested in learning Irish, Italian, and French, but past experience with Spanish class in high school tells me I will be extremely unsuccessful with remembering that all lmao...)
So, a quick question from someone who is interested in potentially learning Spanish: what website would be the best for learning it from? I've heard good things about duolingo, but if one of the other websites is better, that would probably be more helpful.

(I'm also interested in learning Irish, Italian, and French, but past experience with Spanish class in high school tells me I will be extremely unsuccessful with remembering that all lmao...)
N i c k
"Fear not the night."
→ he/him
dd9d37c13149d4412f933c2662309cbb42245e81.png
@Nicolas

I'm writing the "How to start self-studying a language" post as I speak - i expect it to be finished online anywhere from the next 10 to 120 minutes!
(and updating in the days to come, as I rephrase stuff and add to it)

My first suggestion is googling things like "Studying Spanish masterpost" or "Spanish Studyguide"
These posts and articles are written by folks who ve been studying these languages since months or years - and who ve experimented with apps, websites etc - thus by sharing their wisdom they save you the time and hassle of trial-and-erroring your way through all the available websites and apps!

((However, what works for them might not work for you - and vice versa. i highly recommend digging for info yourself - but its surely a good way to start!))

The experience I've made using duoLingo is, that its good to be used alongside a grammar guide or grammar book.
Depending on what Duo Course it is, there might be more or less grammar point explanations.
It surely can be a useful tool, but I probably wouldn't rely on only DuoLingo because some grammar points might only be briefly explained!
I'd combine it! : D
@Nicolas

I'm writing the "How to start self-studying a language" post as I speak - i expect it to be finished online anywhere from the next 10 to 120 minutes!
(and updating in the days to come, as I rephrase stuff and add to it)

My first suggestion is googling things like "Studying Spanish masterpost" or "Spanish Studyguide"
These posts and articles are written by folks who ve been studying these languages since months or years - and who ve experimented with apps, websites etc - thus by sharing their wisdom they save you the time and hassle of trial-and-erroring your way through all the available websites and apps!

((However, what works for them might not work for you - and vice versa. i highly recommend digging for info yourself - but its surely a good way to start!))

The experience I've made using duoLingo is, that its good to be used alongside a grammar guide or grammar book.
Depending on what Duo Course it is, there might be more or less grammar point explanations.
It surely can be a useful tool, but I probably wouldn't rely on only DuoLingo because some grammar points might only be briefly explained!
I'd combine it! : D
fr_hatchery_button_small_by_naahva-dch05rf.png
[ Yoshi ]
[ +9h FR time ]
[ ger | eng | jpn ]
[ he / him ]
[ Language Learning Hub ]
naturef1.png
[center] [img]http://36.media.tumblr.com/f48d4427337475c93793b461c3397afc/tumblr_inline_o23f1raLV11r3lvtf_500.png[/img] "I would like to announce that I have added a new post to the front-page! [b]It is still a work-in-progress[/b] which will be updated throughout the next days, but I am certain it will already be of help for some of you! For now, I fear I have to take care of some of my own academic business - please, be excited!" [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=12098492] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/120985/12098492_350.png[/img] [/url] [img]http://36.media.tumblr.com/f48d4427337475c93793b461c3397afc/tumblr_inline_o23f1raLV11r3lvtf_500.png[/img] [/center]
tumblr_inline_o23f1raLV11r3lvtf_500.png

"I would like to announce that I have added a new post to the front-page!
It is still a work-in-progress which will be updated throughout the next days,
but I am certain it will already be of help for some of you!

For now, I fear I have to take care of some of my own academic business - please, be excited!"

12098492_350.png

tumblr_inline_o23f1raLV11r3lvtf_500.png
fr_hatchery_button_small_by_naahva-dch05rf.png
[ Yoshi ]
[ +9h FR time ]
[ ger | eng | jpn ]
[ he / him ]
[ Language Learning Hub ]
naturef1.png
hey! i'm a korean-american trying to learn...korean. it's kind of embarrassing, but korean used to be my first language. then when i started learning english, i forgot all of the korean i used to speak so...i guess english qualifies as my first language now. i have hangul down for the most part, and i know some stuff from interaction with other korean folks. if only i could get the SUFFIXES AND HONORIFICS. i swear, suffixes and honorifics will be the end of me.

my school has a korean course, so i'm learning through that. plus, my family is helping me out! hopefully i can get this down someday... ;A;
hey! i'm a korean-american trying to learn...korean. it's kind of embarrassing, but korean used to be my first language. then when i started learning english, i forgot all of the korean i used to speak so...i guess english qualifies as my first language now. i have hangul down for the most part, and i know some stuff from interaction with other korean folks. if only i could get the SUFFIXES AND HONORIFICS. i swear, suffixes and honorifics will be the end of me.

my school has a korean course, so i'm learning through that. plus, my family is helping me out! hopefully i can get this down someday... ;A;
Bluefin Charger Fin » cal
» he/they
» FR+0
___________________________________________ Q5wOe0Z.gif
@objecthead, I can 100% relate. I'm Japanese American and came straight from Japan and then moved when I was 4, after a little while I lost my skill in speaking it (despite visiting Japan a lot woops). I'm now taking a second course in Japanese (what sucks is that the third course isn't available until like...a year)!

I'd definitely try to get your family to converse with you in Korean so that you can get a good handle on it! Don't be embarrassed at all, I see it as reconnecting with our roots :^D I wish you luck!
@objecthead, I can 100% relate. I'm Japanese American and came straight from Japan and then moved when I was 4, after a little while I lost my skill in speaking it (despite visiting Japan a lot woops). I'm now taking a second course in Japanese (what sucks is that the third course isn't available until like...a year)!

I'd definitely try to get your family to converse with you in Korean so that you can get a good handle on it! Don't be embarrassed at all, I see it as reconnecting with our roots :^D I wish you luck!
o007-d01-Amorah.pngo007-d02-Amorah.pngo007-d03-Amorah.pngo007-d04-Amorah.pngs064-d01-Amorah.pngs064-d02-Amorah.pngs064-d03-Amorah.pngs064-d04-Amorah.pngs064-d05-Amorah.pngs064-d06-Amorah.pngs064-d07-Amorah.pngs064-d08-Amorah.pngs064-d09-Amorah.pngs064-d10-Amorah.pngs075-d01-Amorah.pngs075-d02-Amorah.pngs075-d03-Amorah.pngs075-d04-Amorah.pngs075-d05-Amorah.pngs075-d06-Amorah.pngo007-d05-Amorah.png
ADb9Vnz.png
@Amorah hey, woah, it's nice to see another asian american on fr! :D

my family mostly speaks to me in english, but we've trying to speak to each other in korean. what i've found is that i can understand enough to get what they're saying, but i can't really respond properly ^^; and the "reconnecting with our roots" thing is...a lot nicer way of thinking about it. huh.

but hey, thanks for the advice! good luck to you too!
@Amorah hey, woah, it's nice to see another asian american on fr! :D

my family mostly speaks to me in english, but we've trying to speak to each other in korean. what i've found is that i can understand enough to get what they're saying, but i can't really respond properly ^^; and the "reconnecting with our roots" thing is...a lot nicer way of thinking about it. huh.

but hey, thanks for the advice! good luck to you too!
Bluefin Charger Fin » cal
» he/they
» FR+0
___________________________________________ Q5wOe0Z.gif
Hi, I'm ace and my first language is English. Currently I'm learning Mandarin but I have other languages I wish to learn that include Korean, Russian, Japanese, Cantonese, and Thai. Currently I only know small amounts of Chinese and Korean, even to recognize the languages but not to really hold up an conversation or to translate either. I'm self taught and use Memrize and Duolingo at the moment.
Hi, I'm ace and my first language is English. Currently I'm learning Mandarin but I have other languages I wish to learn that include Korean, Russian, Japanese, Cantonese, and Thai. Currently I only know small amounts of Chinese and Korean, even to recognize the languages but not to really hold up an conversation or to translate either. I'm self taught and use Memrize and Duolingo at the moment.
HhbT9k1.gif
Hello *waves excitedly*
Fellow native German here with pretty good English. I have set pretty much every single device I own to English and most of my books are too.
I am still trying to kick myself into learning Russian or Japanese but uhm currently learning new programming languages is much more fun xD
Hello *waves excitedly*
Fellow native German here with pretty good English. I have set pretty much every single device I own to English and most of my books are too.
I am still trying to kick myself into learning Russian or Japanese but uhm currently learning new programming languages is much more fun xD
tumblr_otyhq9Ynj41vsg0m1o1_400.pngsmall_save_the_imps2_by_keldeostar-dc6ioyu.pngtumblr_otyhq9Ynj41vsg0m1o1_400.pnghttps://68.media.tumblr.com/d520b49ad1e535b4432d0a80efc5db86/tumblr_otyhq9Ynj41vsg0m1o1_400.png[/img]
Guten Tag, ich spreche ein bisschen/bisschle Deutsch.

...but English is my native language how original. I'm currently in a class for German at my school, but since I will be changing schools next year, I'm going to be transferring to Rosetta Stone and/or Duolingo. Once I feel I am fluent in German, I plan on tackling Russian, Spanish, or maybe even one of those fancy island languages, like Hawaiian. Something like Swahili might be good too... Or a Native American language...

English - Native
German - Minimum experience (Seit zwei Jahre lerne ich Deutsch, und ich habe Deutschland einmal besucht.*)

There's a list of my interests on my clan page, I have to leave for school now.

*I think that's correct. Präteritum and Perfekt are hard.
Guten Tag, ich spreche ein bisschen/bisschle Deutsch.

...but English is my native language how original. I'm currently in a class for German at my school, but since I will be changing schools next year, I'm going to be transferring to Rosetta Stone and/or Duolingo. Once I feel I am fluent in German, I plan on tackling Russian, Spanish, or maybe even one of those fancy island languages, like Hawaiian. Something like Swahili might be good too... Or a Native American language...

English - Native
German - Minimum experience (Seit zwei Jahre lerne ich Deutsch, und ich habe Deutschland einmal besucht.*)

There's a list of my interests on my clan page, I have to leave for school now.

*I think that's correct. Präteritum and Perfekt are hard.
> My tumblr
> My AO3
X
An angry-looking night elf woman with short green hair and a burn scar on her left cheek, looking to the viewer's right.A night elf woman with purple facial tattoos and purple hair, looking at the viewer with a confident smirk.
she/her | 18+ | FR+2 | brain full of night elves
>> Avatar
>> I love pings!
>> PixelZ, not PixelS!
xxxdont%20feed%20the%20ai.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 35 36