Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Language-Learning, Exchange & Resources
1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36
@daineger thank you! :D I feel like it's not that much of an ear thing in my case, since my native language already sounds so different a few kilometers from my city, so being able to more or less understand or tell apart dialects is pretty much a daily life situation. Of course I can't speak all of them - the only ones I'd say I can speak are Upper Austrian, Viennese and Styrian - my hometown speaks rather differently, closer to standard Austrian German than the surrounding, but I wouldn't count it as an own dialect. So naturally I also pay more attention to it in other languages, simply because I'm used to it. Still not saying I'm good at it, after all I haven't been abroad often, much less to a country that speaks a language I'm learning. I've been to Italy (and Vatican City) twice (with the school) and to Germany once (with my family - woah, did my mum have trouble not saying stuff they didn't understand), could have gone to France and Great Britain with my school but eh, money.

I see you're learning Arabic, that's just really impressive? I haven't tried it but my younger sister who's more talented at learning (and especially speaking) languages keeps trying but she says she keeps failing.
@daineger thank you! :D I feel like it's not that much of an ear thing in my case, since my native language already sounds so different a few kilometers from my city, so being able to more or less understand or tell apart dialects is pretty much a daily life situation. Of course I can't speak all of them - the only ones I'd say I can speak are Upper Austrian, Viennese and Styrian - my hometown speaks rather differently, closer to standard Austrian German than the surrounding, but I wouldn't count it as an own dialect. So naturally I also pay more attention to it in other languages, simply because I'm used to it. Still not saying I'm good at it, after all I haven't been abroad often, much less to a country that speaks a language I'm learning. I've been to Italy (and Vatican City) twice (with the school) and to Germany once (with my family - woah, did my mum have trouble not saying stuff they didn't understand), could have gone to France and Great Britain with my school but eh, money.

I see you're learning Arabic, that's just really impressive? I haven't tried it but my younger sister who's more talented at learning (and especially speaking) languages keeps trying but she says she keeps failing.
P(I have enough dragons)=1/9999999999999999999999999999^9999999
It's a bad obsession, it's always messing, it's always messing my lair
News about my dragons
@Utahraptor93

Pinging myself because this is a very neat resource! I've been wanting to learn Japanese for a while now, so maybe this will give me the boost I need to actually start ^^'
@Utahraptor93

Pinging myself because this is a very neat resource! I've been wanting to learn Japanese for a while now, so maybe this will give me the boost I need to actually start ^^'
axhRqoK.png
5iXiC8z.png27AZD8S.pngDa1cz0f.pngmlHpBMC.png
Hi!
This looks neat, I’m a native english speaker from the U.S. I took some Japanese in high school and recently I’ve been wanting to learn German so I am a beginner in German.
I’ve been wanting to learn German because of my family history. I took Japanese in High School because they didn’t have German.
Hi!
This looks neat, I’m a native english speaker from the U.S. I took some Japanese in high school and recently I’ve been wanting to learn German so I am a beginner in German.
I’ve been wanting to learn German because of my family history. I took Japanese in High School because they didn’t have German.
r7LsxK2.png
hello! i am a native english speaker from the US. although i'm not very good at it sometimes apparently. i work with foreigners a lot, and they all ask what country i'm from?? [emoji=guardian laughing size=1] don't know if i should be insulted or flattered. i grew up with spanish, mexican/latin spanish to be exact. my dad and his side of the family are from mexico. while he never bothered to teach me it so i could be fluent, i can understand it and can speak it well enough that i sound "authentic." i can't respond to questions or write in it very well, but if you say something to me in spanish, i can at least respond back in english. in high school i learned a lot of european spanish, which i thought was really weird because there's more of a use for latin spanish... but oh well. generally speaking, i am a beginner in spanish nowadays. in college i took german to the massive disappointment of my father LOL. i got good enough, and actually went to berlin... but unfortunately i had to transfer schools. and my current school doesn't have anything beyond beginner german, which i already took, so my german kind of... eroded over the summer. i was intermediate in it once... but now i guess i'm as good as beginner again. it was actually my minor, too, but i might have to change that. the hardest thing for me out german are the cases. nominativ i got down, and dativ is good enough. however, akkusativ and genitiv... what?? my biggest issue is that i simply don't know [i]when to use them.[/i] if i could just figure out when to use them, i would be much better. also, my pronunciation isn't always perfect, which bugs me a lot, but baby steps, i guess...
hello!

i am a native english speaker from the US. although i'm not very good at it sometimes apparently. i work with foreigners a lot, and they all ask what country i'm from?? don't know if i should be insulted or flattered.

i grew up with spanish, mexican/latin spanish to be exact. my dad and his side of the family are from mexico. while he never bothered to teach me it so i could be fluent, i can understand it and can speak it well enough that i sound "authentic." i can't respond to questions or write in it very well, but if you say something to me in spanish, i can at least respond back in english. in high school i learned a lot of european spanish, which i thought was really weird because there's more of a use for latin spanish... but oh well. generally speaking, i am a beginner in spanish nowadays.

in college i took german to the massive disappointment of my father LOL. i got good enough, and actually went to berlin... but unfortunately i had to transfer schools. and my current school doesn't have anything beyond beginner german, which i already took, so my german kind of... eroded over the summer. i was intermediate in it once... but now i guess i'm as good as beginner again. it was actually my minor, too, but i might have to change that.

the hardest thing for me out german are the cases. nominativ i got down, and dativ is good enough. however, akkusativ and genitiv... what?? my biggest issue is that i simply don't know when to use them. if i could just figure out when to use them, i would be much better. also, my pronunciation isn't always perfect, which bugs me a lot, but baby steps, i guess...
y6Tz96p.png
5hF3FGk.png
ive actually kinda dropped esperanto at least for now whoops
theres my post on the first page but its kinda outdated now so let me make a new proper one.
native language is russian, 2nd is english, trying to learn german now (i can sometimes understand what im reading, barely,)
ive actually kinda dropped esperanto at least for now whoops
theres my post on the first page but its kinda outdated now so let me make a new proper one.
native language is russian, 2nd is english, trying to learn german now (i can sometimes understand what im reading, barely,)
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
Hello! I'm Cosmo! I'm a Native English speaker.

Right now I'm learning both ASL and Ojibwe and am a total beginner in both.

I'm not the best at learning languages, but if anyone has any good resources for Ojibwe, please do ping me! It's tough to find good resources for it.
Hello! I'm Cosmo! I'm a Native English speaker.

Right now I'm learning both ASL and Ojibwe and am a total beginner in both.

I'm not the best at learning languages, but if anyone has any good resources for Ojibwe, please do ping me! It's tough to find good resources for it.
9hqcHsy.png
slCEFYq.png
ACOZFAh.png
bYt72YT.png
vNRWb22.png

Cosmo
she/he
FR Time +2
@Negative oh god, the first paragraph XD man, I laughed about that so hard and am not sure whether I should feel bad about it or not. Buuut I've been asked where I was from by people from my country as well - because apparently I speak such a "beautiful" German? Mainly... I don't really speak dialect. I never needed it to communicate with friends and the school I went to wasn't exactly a fan of dialects. My mum went to the same school, her colleagues all knew which school she was from because "they all talk the same". I just use (not standard German) abbreviations and for someone who has a good feeling for the language it's obvious I'm not from Germany - regional vocabulary, pronunciation. And I can speak my regional dialect and a bit of a few other places, I just don't do it. I don't know if that's something you'd want to deal with, but if you'd like to have some explanations or just chat to practice, shoot me a PM, I'm always happy to help and I enjoy talking about language phenomena and whatever cultural topics a lot.

If anyone else here would be interested in that, feel invited too. Sure, you don't have to and I'm not at all mad at you if I never hear from you again haha
@Negative oh god, the first paragraph XD man, I laughed about that so hard and am not sure whether I should feel bad about it or not. Buuut I've been asked where I was from by people from my country as well - because apparently I speak such a "beautiful" German? Mainly... I don't really speak dialect. I never needed it to communicate with friends and the school I went to wasn't exactly a fan of dialects. My mum went to the same school, her colleagues all knew which school she was from because "they all talk the same". I just use (not standard German) abbreviations and for someone who has a good feeling for the language it's obvious I'm not from Germany - regional vocabulary, pronunciation. And I can speak my regional dialect and a bit of a few other places, I just don't do it. I don't know if that's something you'd want to deal with, but if you'd like to have some explanations or just chat to practice, shoot me a PM, I'm always happy to help and I enjoy talking about language phenomena and whatever cultural topics a lot.

If anyone else here would be interested in that, feel invited too. Sure, you don't have to and I'm not at all mad at you if I never hear from you again haha
P(I have enough dragons)=1/9999999999999999999999999999^9999999
It's a bad obsession, it's always messing, it's always messing my lair
News about my dragons
Hi! My first launguage Is Czech , second English, and i'm trying to learn Russian, i know basic but i want to get better, so does anyone have any advice? Or some books etc. Thank you
Hi! My first launguage Is Czech , second English, and i'm trying to learn Russian, i know basic but i want to get better, so does anyone have any advice? Or some books etc. Thank you
Hello!

I just found this thread and, well... *points down*

1st Language: Swedish
2nd Language: English (to a somewhat professional lvl)
Other languages: Aaah... Eeeh... I did German in school, but not so good at it anymore.
Target-Language: None at the moment
Hobbies / Interest: Dog, photography and my family!

So I dont have any target language at the moment, mainly due to working too much, but this is an amazing resource. I would however like to offer my help as a native Swedish speaker and also someone who has quite an academic language both writing and speaking. I work as a social worker in disability care and aid. So I spend a lot of my time at work writing important documents. If someone out there is learning Swedish in writing as well as speaking and reading I would be happy to help!

Idk if I should tag the original poster to be put on some sort of list as it seems like they are semi afk atm. But if there is anyone with questions in or about Swedish ust shoot me a dm! :)
Hello!

I just found this thread and, well... *points down*

1st Language: Swedish
2nd Language: English (to a somewhat professional lvl)
Other languages: Aaah... Eeeh... I did German in school, but not so good at it anymore.
Target-Language: None at the moment
Hobbies / Interest: Dog, photography and my family!

So I dont have any target language at the moment, mainly due to working too much, but this is an amazing resource. I would however like to offer my help as a native Swedish speaker and also someone who has quite an academic language both writing and speaking. I work as a social worker in disability care and aid. So I spend a lot of my time at work writing important documents. If someone out there is learning Swedish in writing as well as speaking and reading I would be happy to help!

Idk if I should tag the original poster to be put on some sort of list as it seems like they are semi afk atm. But if there is anyone with questions in or about Swedish ust shoot me a dm! :)
FR +9 so sorry if I respond slowly sometimes!
1st Language: English (Native speaker from the USA)
2nd Language: None that I'm fluent in.
Other languages: Spanish, Japanese, German (Ordered by how much I know in each, which embarrassingly is not a lot.) I studied Spanish in school. Three years and I remember next to none of it. I tried to self-teach Japanese and I want to say I did better at it than I ever did with Spanish but I've lost most of it from lack of use. I had no one to talk to and while I was trying to learn to read, I didn't have any level appropriate material to help either. Right now my focus is German, but once I'm happy with my German, I will be revisiting Japanese.
Target-Language: German. I work for a German company and we have native speakers coming and going quite frequently. A lot of our equipment also has documentation in German so I have a lot more motivation to learn this language than any other I've tried. I've recently downloaded Duolingo, so that's where I'm starting along with beginner level youtube videos.
Hobbies / Interest: Video games, plants, drawing, programming and game making, crocheting, CATS, SNEKS, fish and aquariums, animals in general.

German
My Current Level: Beginner. Like new born babe beginner. My current word pool is ~50 words according to Duolingo but I've also been picking up words on my own using music and youtube videos to help. Just be aware I only started two days ago. While I won't understand a lot, the chance to translate and be exposed to the language is invaluable. I want to incorporate it into my every day life so I have a reason to continue pushing myself and learning.
Ich lerne Deutsch. Bitte sprechen sie Deutsch mit mir! Danke! :3
1st Language: English (Native speaker from the USA)
2nd Language: None that I'm fluent in.
Other languages: Spanish, Japanese, German (Ordered by how much I know in each, which embarrassingly is not a lot.) I studied Spanish in school. Three years and I remember next to none of it. I tried to self-teach Japanese and I want to say I did better at it than I ever did with Spanish but I've lost most of it from lack of use. I had no one to talk to and while I was trying to learn to read, I didn't have any level appropriate material to help either. Right now my focus is German, but once I'm happy with my German, I will be revisiting Japanese.
Target-Language: German. I work for a German company and we have native speakers coming and going quite frequently. A lot of our equipment also has documentation in German so I have a lot more motivation to learn this language than any other I've tried. I've recently downloaded Duolingo, so that's where I'm starting along with beginner level youtube videos.
Hobbies / Interest: Video games, plants, drawing, programming and game making, crocheting, CATS, SNEKS, fish and aquariums, animals in general.

German
My Current Level: Beginner. Like new born babe beginner. My current word pool is ~50 words according to Duolingo but I've also been picking up words on my own using music and youtube videos to help. Just be aware I only started two days ago. While I won't understand a lot, the chance to translate and be exposed to the language is invaluable. I want to incorporate it into my every day life so I have a reason to continue pushing myself and learning.
Ich lerne Deutsch. Bitte sprechen sie Deutsch mit mir! Danke! :3
TyYgOYZ.png
1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36