Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Language-Learning, Exchange & Resources
1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36
Definitely bookmarking this. Been meaning to work on my French again.
Definitely bookmarking this. Been meaning to work on my French again.
{Puppy} {FR +2} {Goat Lover} {22} {They/Them}
1566865007982.png
Hello! It's been a long time since I've last posted in this thread, so I figured that I would re-introduce myself and talk about my progress since I was last here! I'm still learning German in school and this year I am taking an every day course so that I can take two levels of German in one year and then be able to take the AP course. I really love learning the language and potentially will major in it.

As for my Italian progress, I am continuing to learn from my family members and when I take a trip to visit my family living in Italy over the summer, I will be able to practice speaking with native speakers in person, which is so exciting!
Hello! It's been a long time since I've last posted in this thread, so I figured that I would re-introduce myself and talk about my progress since I was last here! I'm still learning German in school and this year I am taking an every day course so that I can take two levels of German in one year and then be able to take the AP course. I really love learning the language and potentially will major in it.

As for my Italian progress, I am continuing to learn from my family members and when I take a trip to visit my family living in Italy over the summer, I will be able to practice speaking with native speakers in person, which is so exciting!
dZt4vS2.gifnMkuik2.gifQmM334w.pngaNZoV0I.png
RingsofSaturn
WIP Lore
•Arcane Flight
•FR +3
•They/she
1st Language: English
2nd Language: Spanish (beginner/intermediate-ish) - I took it in junior high school and then again in college, but I don't feel confident enough to speak it, plus I haven't been practicing, so my vocab has suffered.

I took German in high school, but haven't retained enough to speak it intelligibly (though, strangely enough, I can sing most of Mein Hut, Der Hat Drei Ecken...not very helpful when trying to get directions to somewhere, I'd imagine).

Target-Language + Skill Level: Spanish at a confident intermediate level and up

Hobbies / Interests: Reading, hanging out with my Lab mutts, learning new things (from the etymology of a place name all the way to new discoveries in neurology), coffee, writing (when I can work past my blocks), metal rock music from a variety of cultures
2nd Language: Spanish (beginner/intermediate-ish) - I took it in junior high school and then again in college, but I don't feel confident enough to speak it, plus I haven't been practicing, so my vocab has suffered.

I took German in high school, but haven't retained enough to speak it intelligibly (though, strangely enough, I can sing most of Mein Hut, Der Hat Drei Ecken...not very helpful when trying to get directions to somewhere, I'd imagine).

Target-Language + Skill Level: Spanish at a confident intermediate level and up

Hobbies / Interests: Reading, hanging out with my Lab mutts, learning new things (from the etymology of a place name all the way to new discoveries in neurology), coffee, writing (when I can work past my blocks), metal rock music from a variety of cultures
b6f3d4ea76e68d8090de5809afe1f0105cf2c98e.pngoYfCraJ.png0HxJjfZ.gif TAzcwMk.gif
Hi everyone!

1st Language: French
2nd Language: English, I was raised bilingual and my friends don't speak French so I never forgot it. Plus as a Canadian, being bilingual is a big plus.

Target-Language + Skill Level: Pretty much anything really. Right now I'm learning both Japanese and Russian because I love different alphabets but I also love German, Gaelic and I'd love to be able to understand/speak Latin. I just love languages and want to learn as many as possible.

Hobbies / Interests: I'm disabled and pretty much bedbound due to health issues so my hobbies are limited, I love reading, writing, listening to music, etc. I'm big into vulture culture, botany, history, arts, animals (I have over 50 pets at home), and anything that can grab my fickle attention for more than 5 minutes.

My biggest hurdle has been to find beginner level resources for languages. I actually had luck with buying children's books in Japanese, allowing me to start reading at a kindergartener level so I can eventually level up to something harder. I have a very visual memory which is sometimes super helpful (for reading) but I can't speak a lot because my visual memory isn't particularly helpful there. Otherwise I love translating things. I received botanical cards from Russia that were published in 1991 as a gift and I've been painstakingly working on translating them in English, with all the outdated information they contain (these plants were found in the USSR, to give you an idea).
Hi everyone!

1st Language: French
2nd Language: English, I was raised bilingual and my friends don't speak French so I never forgot it. Plus as a Canadian, being bilingual is a big plus.

Target-Language + Skill Level: Pretty much anything really. Right now I'm learning both Japanese and Russian because I love different alphabets but I also love German, Gaelic and I'd love to be able to understand/speak Latin. I just love languages and want to learn as many as possible.

Hobbies / Interests: I'm disabled and pretty much bedbound due to health issues so my hobbies are limited, I love reading, writing, listening to music, etc. I'm big into vulture culture, botany, history, arts, animals (I have over 50 pets at home), and anything that can grab my fickle attention for more than 5 minutes.

My biggest hurdle has been to find beginner level resources for languages. I actually had luck with buying children's books in Japanese, allowing me to start reading at a kindergartener level so I can eventually level up to something harder. I have a very visual memory which is sometimes super helpful (for reading) but I can't speak a lot because my visual memory isn't particularly helpful there. Otherwise I love translating things. I received botanical cards from Russia that were published in 1991 as a gift and I've been painstakingly working on translating them in English, with all the outdated information they contain (these plants were found in the USSR, to give you an idea).
vWzc3aN.png
H-hello people...

1st Language: English (Native speaker yeet)
2nd Language: Spanish, went through bilingual immersion in school for about 7 years but I dropped out because my teachers were horrible.
Other languages: Japanese??

Target-Language + Skill Level: Mmmm I'd love to learn Japanese, at least to the semi-fluent range. I'm taking classes at school and may travel to Tokyo in 2021, which is honestly so exciting! I'm also working on learning some Italian but that's mainly because my family goes there a lot. (>.>) I discovered I really enjoy languages so who knows, I may study more!

Hobbies / Interests: I adore anime and manga, a big factor that got me into Japanese (but I really adore the language and culture itself too). Please feel free to message me and talk about animes I've seen (there's quite a list, gotta update my clan page oof), I love talking about my passions! Also I'm not very social, so most of my human interaction comes from FR oops. I draw if I have inspiration, which isn't often, but I'm trying to get better! I prefer drawing animals over humans or humanoids. Some other things I love are animals, dinosaurs, pokemon games, complaining about school and it's system, and fangirling. :P
H-hello people...

1st Language: English (Native speaker yeet)
2nd Language: Spanish, went through bilingual immersion in school for about 7 years but I dropped out because my teachers were horrible.
Other languages: Japanese??

Target-Language + Skill Level: Mmmm I'd love to learn Japanese, at least to the semi-fluent range. I'm taking classes at school and may travel to Tokyo in 2021, which is honestly so exciting! I'm also working on learning some Italian but that's mainly because my family goes there a lot. (>.>) I discovered I really enjoy languages so who knows, I may study more!

Hobbies / Interests: I adore anime and manga, a big factor that got me into Japanese (but I really adore the language and culture itself too). Please feel free to message me and talk about animes I've seen (there's quite a list, gotta update my clan page oof), I love talking about my passions! Also I'm not very social, so most of my human interaction comes from FR oops. I draw if I have inspiration, which isn't often, but I'm trying to get better! I prefer drawing animals over humans or humanoids. Some other things I love are animals, dinosaurs, pokemon games, complaining about school and it's system, and fangirling. :P
Ot3Ahks.jpg
2nd Language: French - it was one of my majors in undergrad but I haven't used it much since graduating. (I'm attempting to rectify this by playing through Pokemon Sword in French!)
Other languages (if applicable): Japanese sorta? I can still read kana and the occasional kanji, and I remember some of the basics of grammar. My younger brother is majoring in Japanese so I'd like to get back into it so we can speak together! I've also been working on Welsh because it's SUCH a cool language, but it's fallen a bit by the wayside lately.
Target-Language + Skill Level: I'd like to get my French back up to advanced/semi-fluent. I'd also like to get my Japanese to where I can speak with my brother, and my Welsh to a point where I could at least read/understand things when I go back to Wales! I've also got some other languages I'm interested in (I love language), but those are my top 3.
Hobbies / Interests: Video games, space, geography, travel, cooking, science just kinda in general (but especially earth science/climate science/ecology), podcasts/podcasting....
2nd Language: French - it was one of my majors in undergrad but I haven't used it much since graduating. (I'm attempting to rectify this by playing through Pokemon Sword in French!)
Other languages (if applicable): Japanese sorta? I can still read kana and the occasional kanji, and I remember some of the basics of grammar. My younger brother is majoring in Japanese so I'd like to get back into it so we can speak together! I've also been working on Welsh because it's SUCH a cool language, but it's fallen a bit by the wayside lately.
Target-Language + Skill Level: I'd like to get my French back up to advanced/semi-fluent. I'd also like to get my Japanese to where I can speak with my brother, and my Welsh to a point where I could at least read/understand things when I go back to Wales! I've also got some other languages I'm interested in (I love language), but those are my top 3.
Hobbies / Interests: Video games, space, geography, travel, cooking, science just kinda in general (but especially earth science/climate science/ecology), podcasts/podcasting....
no one you look up to is better than you are
Hiya! My name's Kris, I'm a Canadian Trans-male who has failed to live on his own and is moving back to me mums this year TTuTT I suffer from depression, social phobia, binge eating disorder, and have a baaaaad habit of being self-destructive. I work in my cities college as a test center assistant/clerk. I help the coordinator run the test centre, I run it after hours, invigilate exams and administrate outside agency exams, and I administrate a real estate exam on Saturdays.

1st Language: English ( I be fluent )
2nd Language: French ( Enough to navigate my mom through Quebec when it's time to visit my sister )

Target Language: Japanese! I can read pretty fluently hiragana and katakana ( forget a letter or so every so often ), and am currently using Wanikani to learn Kanji. My plan is to get up to about level 10 with my Kanji because it's very important to learn, then begin grammar and vocabulary that uses only hiragana and katakana. I just hit Level 2 in Wanikani last night.

Hobbies/Interests: I don't do much any more thanks to that good old monster Depression, but I love video games. I'm currently working on Monster Hunter World, Death Stranding, and Pokemon Shield. I used to draw /A lot/, I even bought a new art tablet recently, but I barely touch it now. I love Anime, and Manga, I watch anime more than I read Manga because I can just sit there and do nothing lol.
Hiya! My name's Kris, I'm a Canadian Trans-male who has failed to live on his own and is moving back to me mums this year TTuTT I suffer from depression, social phobia, binge eating disorder, and have a baaaaad habit of being self-destructive. I work in my cities college as a test center assistant/clerk. I help the coordinator run the test centre, I run it after hours, invigilate exams and administrate outside agency exams, and I administrate a real estate exam on Saturdays.

1st Language: English ( I be fluent )
2nd Language: French ( Enough to navigate my mom through Quebec when it's time to visit my sister )

Target Language: Japanese! I can read pretty fluently hiragana and katakana ( forget a letter or so every so often ), and am currently using Wanikani to learn Kanji. My plan is to get up to about level 10 with my Kanji because it's very important to learn, then begin grammar and vocabulary that uses only hiragana and katakana. I just hit Level 2 in Wanikani last night.

Hobbies/Interests: I don't do much any more thanks to that good old monster Depression, but I love video games. I'm currently working on Monster Hunter World, Death Stranding, and Pokemon Shield. I used to draw /A lot/, I even bought a new art tablet recently, but I barely touch it now. I love Anime, and Manga, I watch anime more than I read Manga because I can just sit there and do nothing lol.
1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36