Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Oh Gods [Gaolers]
1 2 3 4 5
Right, so I just reread the Jailbreak BotE entry in anticipation of the new breeds, and something caught my eye. [quote]With every turn, another shadowy mass forced her back. Wemba rounded again, staggering under the weight of her frozen feathers, and was blocked by a stygian blur. A pattern started to emerge. [b]The dark figures in the snow would only allow her to move in one direction. If she walked straight they left her alone, but when she tried to turn or retreat, they would assert themselves again.[/b] She screamed in rage, desperate to find her friend, pleading for the ordeal to end.[/quote] So the Gaolers (as they’re later revealed, they’re the dark figures) eventually get Wemba and Trendal to move into a cave, which later collapses. [quote]Wemba tripped, this time on a wooden pike, nearly impaling herself in the stumble. She was near the entrance of the Dregs. [b]Once past the barricade of pikes, the open mouth of a cave yawned into view.[/b] In a brief moment of clarity, she noticed that the wardens were suspiciously absent. After a careful scan of the nearby area, she caught sight of Trendal within the cavern. The slender tundra was on his side. Uttering silent damnation to the shadows that pursued them through the trees, she made her way to her friend. Her frozen feathers made it difficult to stand, forcing Wemba to crawl and pull herself across the frozen ground. A wrenching fear lurched in her stomach. The tundra had been soaked to the bone, and the bitter cold turned his wet fur into Trendal-colored icicles. His breaths were shallow and quick. Alive, but not conscious. “Oh, Trendal, I’m so sorry, I’m so so sorry. I’ll find a way to get us out-” The ground beneath them gave a terrifying shift. [b]Wemba’s head snapped up as the once stable-looking cave floor gave way to a dark gaping hole, sending them plummeting.[/b] With a cry, she tried desperately to hold onto Trendal but he slipped from her grasp. Wemba watched him fall away from her, helpless to save him or herself.[/quote] So it’s completely unclear WHY the cave floor collapses, and on my first scan I just assumed it was unstable. But this doesn’t really make sense, because she falls she’s in a huge cavern, where at least 3 Gaolers live. How would they get down there, being much bigger and heavier apiece than the combined weight of a Skydancer and Tundra, without the same thing happening? So my assumption here was that at least one Gaoler, who is huge, bulky, and just downright [i]strong[/i], somehow forces the cave floor to collapse. Which, as you’d assume, is a very deadly trap. [quote][b]Trendal's fur-covered body lay limp.[/b] Gritting her teeth, Wemba pulled herself up and crawled towards him. Sharp pains racked her rear legs and shot up into her back. Hissing, she pushed forward, completely unaware of the shadows beginning to congregate behind her. [b]"It is alive, but not for long,"[/b] came the voice again, this time clear and present behind her. Wemba stopped and rounded slowly, unprepared for what she saw next.[/quote] Then they pop up behind Wemba and basically just introduce themselves. That’s where the story ends. My problem lies here: Judging by the excerpt, Trendal is already dead (which means the Gaolers are talking about Wemba when they say she’s still alive, but not for long) and Wemba is in no condition to make it out of the cave. So, knowing [i]full well[/i] something like this would happen, why would three Gaolers lead two dragons into a dangerous cave, purposefully kill one and seriously injure another, just to make themselves known? It doesn’t make any sense... Until you realize how big the Gaolers are, how much food they must require, and how hard such food is to come by in the Southern Icefield. They lured Trendal and Wemba into the cavern to kill them, [i]because Gaolers are cannibalistic[/i]. The reason the story ends there is because Wemba dies directly afterwards. Discuss~
Right, so I just reread the Jailbreak BotE entry in anticipation of the new breeds, and something caught my eye.
Quote:
With every turn, another shadowy mass forced her back. Wemba rounded again, staggering under the weight of her frozen feathers, and was blocked by a stygian blur. A pattern started to emerge. The dark figures in the snow would only allow her to move in one direction. If she walked straight they left her alone, but when she tried to turn or retreat, they would assert themselves again. She screamed in rage, desperate to find her friend, pleading for the ordeal to end.

So the Gaolers (as they’re later revealed, they’re the dark figures) eventually get Wemba and Trendal to move into a cave, which later collapses.
Quote:
Wemba tripped, this time on a wooden pike, nearly impaling herself in the stumble. She was near the entrance of the Dregs. Once past the barricade of pikes, the open mouth of a cave yawned into view. In a brief moment of clarity, she noticed that the wardens were suspiciously absent. After a careful scan of the nearby area, she caught sight of Trendal within the cavern. The slender tundra was on his side. Uttering silent damnation to the shadows that pursued them through the trees, she made her way to her friend. Her frozen feathers made it difficult to stand, forcing Wemba to crawl and pull herself across the frozen ground.

A wrenching fear lurched in her stomach. The tundra had been soaked to the bone, and the bitter cold turned his wet fur into Trendal-colored icicles. His breaths were shallow and quick. Alive, but not conscious.

“Oh, Trendal, I’m so sorry, I’m so so sorry. I’ll find a way to get us out-”

The ground beneath them gave a terrifying shift. Wemba’s head snapped up as the once stable-looking cave floor gave way to a dark gaping hole, sending them plummeting. With a cry, she tried desperately to hold onto Trendal but he slipped from her grasp. Wemba watched him fall away from her, helpless to save him or herself.

So it’s completely unclear WHY the cave floor collapses, and on my first scan I just assumed it was unstable. But this doesn’t really make sense, because she falls she’s in a huge cavern, where at least 3 Gaolers live. How would they get down there, being much bigger and heavier apiece than the combined weight of a Skydancer and Tundra, without the same thing happening? So my assumption here was that at least one Gaoler, who is huge, bulky, and just downright strong, somehow forces the cave floor to collapse.

Which, as you’d assume, is a very deadly trap.
Quote:
Trendal's fur-covered body lay limp. Gritting her teeth, Wemba pulled herself up and crawled towards him. Sharp pains racked her rear legs and shot up into her back. Hissing, she pushed forward, completely unaware of the shadows beginning to congregate behind her.

"It is alive, but not for long," came the voice again, this time clear and present behind her. Wemba stopped and rounded slowly, unprepared for what she saw next.

Then they pop up behind Wemba and basically just introduce themselves. That’s where the story ends.

My problem lies here: Judging by the excerpt, Trendal is already dead (which means the Gaolers are talking about Wemba when they say she’s still alive, but not for long) and Wemba is in no condition to make it out of the cave.

So, knowing full well something like this would happen, why would three Gaolers lead two dragons into a dangerous cave, purposefully kill one and seriously injure another, just to make themselves known? It doesn’t make any sense...

Until you realize how big the Gaolers are, how much food they must require, and how hard such food is to come by in the Southern Icefield. They lured Trendal and Wemba into the cavern to kill them, because Gaolers are cannibalistic. The reason the story ends there is because Wemba dies directly afterwards.

Discuss~
tj85yjR.png BVq8q9P.png nGvTyg3.png
woah. thats unnerving, but an amazing concept
woah. thats unnerving, but an amazing concept
oh boy, cannibal lairs!
oh boy, cannibal lairs!
SnailDivider.png
YCOzZhb.gif

Lemon Flight
nudibranch.png
Beating UM with just a Tynamo
ridgeback s o u p
nudibranch.png
fr time + 3
SnailDivider2.png
This idea is f u n
This idea is f u n
oh my god no. horrifying. save Trendal and Wemba D:
oh my god no. horrifying. save Trendal and Wemba D:
O7jJYHV.png Gn1pwrs.png UQDD8WB.png
Woah.... I didn’t even realize that when I first read the story. That’s incredibly unnerving. (Though opens up some great lore opportunity!)
Woah.... I didn’t even realize that when I first read the story. That’s incredibly unnerving. (Though opens up some great lore opportunity!)
giphy.gif7t6ErvU.jpegmFaXmCJ.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

G1 sales

p74ovv7.gif

art shop banner
KkcUijP.png
old wc adopt gif
giphy.gif

Lewis link and G1 sales
goVYTQR.pngRsZjiBd.png

ghost hatchlings
TwEcIUG.png[/url] Ae0MsB2.png

Wishlist

B3w2s5h.jpg

Pixel Pearls

giphy.gif

SCP hatchery
1g9awbL.png
Click for Don't Starve/FR commissions! [TEMP CLOSED] (Casual collector of 6 digit dergs!)
vWYFQtR.png

wHRV9DG.jpg[/indent]
Great, now I want Gaolers even more!
Great, now I want Gaolers even more!
larvesta.gifvolcarona.giflarvesta.gifvolcarona.gif -
I can’t believe they’re making the FR creepypasta thread cannon
I can’t believe they’re making the FR creepypasta thread cannon
zhMvOXK.png
Gotta survive. [emoji=meat][emoji=special eyes]
Gotta survive.

XTgWYyz.pnggPpaGUw.png
"In related news to the recent release of our first Ancient breed, there is now a new category of food points."
"In related news to the recent release of our first Ancient breed, there is now a new category of food points."
1 2 3 4 5