Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Lorenieth, A Lore Discussion Hub!
1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 46 47
@catgame21234

I think I might do that. Thanks for the suggestions suggestion!
@catgame21234

I think I might do that. Thanks for the suggestions suggestion!
UYU9v2z.jpg
@ Tox Maybe dragons with those genes (even if they’re dormant) are more susceptible to gembond, or it tends to be more serious for them? That could result in lower survival chances, and other dragons wouldn’t want to associate with them because they might catch it too (ancient dragon societies may not have known how gembond was spread, so they shunned dragons with it). Since dragons now know how to prevent gembond, and how to treat dragons with it, Python and Morph are becoming more prevalent again.
@ Tox Maybe dragons with those genes (even if they’re dormant) are more susceptible to gembond, or it tends to be more serious for them? That could result in lower survival chances, and other dragons wouldn’t want to associate with them because they might catch it too (ancient dragon societies may not have known how gembond was spread, so they shunned dragons with it). Since dragons now know how to prevent gembond, and how to treat dragons with it, Python and Morph are becoming more prevalent again.
WRcl6DV.png dragon.png mlHpBMC.png
Jumping on the boat with what everyone else is saying about them being Coli genes, the fact that everyone (or most everyone) farms in the Mire could be considered potential lore material for how they came about

The Mire is supposed to be a Plague venue (or is it Nature? I honestly don't remember at this point lol), likely on the coastline. It's possible this mutation comes from some Plague or Nature adaptation/mutation something to be survived or that helps the fighter survive in that particular area. The genes ended up continuing through bloodlines simply because enough dragons spent time in that place for it to eventually pass down through suitable genes

im v tired so sorry if this doesnt make sense haha :p

also @DragonDraws Felicia is lovely and i want to be her friend
Jumping on the boat with what everyone else is saying about them being Coli genes, the fact that everyone (or most everyone) farms in the Mire could be considered potential lore material for how they came about

The Mire is supposed to be a Plague venue (or is it Nature? I honestly don't remember at this point lol), likely on the coastline. It's possible this mutation comes from some Plague or Nature adaptation/mutation something to be survived or that helps the fighter survive in that particular area. The genes ended up continuing through bloodlines simply because enough dragons spent time in that place for it to eventually pass down through suitable genes

im v tired so sorry if this doesnt make sense haha :p

also @DragonDraws Felicia is lovely and i want to be her friend
RPMyHZU.pngMUYNhfy.pngRPMyHZU.png

WKtl2lb.pngUU9vIu2.pngkBHm00y.pngrix3ppo.png
@buffalopigpie OH I'm a genetics and evolution nerd and I very much love your idea! And IRL genetics-wise, I'm actually living proof that kind of thing *can* happen, a recessive gene going dormant for who knows how long and then resurfacing.
@buffalopigpie OH I'm a genetics and evolution nerd and I very much love your idea! And IRL genetics-wise, I'm actually living proof that kind of thing *can* happen, a recessive gene going dormant for who knows how long and then resurfacing.

He/him | FRT+1 x
(@IronPen I love the idea of gaining the genes through "coli exposure"!)

Personally, my first thought upon seeing them was that the pattern reminded me of ghosts! So the way I'll work it into my lore will be like a 'curse' gene. (...maybe like the ghosts of the thousands of enemies we've eliminated...)
Like, avid coli fighters might be regarded as such a threat that they are cursed to display the ghosts of their defeated foes? The curse might then even be transferred to their offspring, like a whole family cursed for the actions of one of their progenitors...

(I also like the evolution theory, but what can I say, I'm always up for a ghost story :') )

pretty ghost lava lamps I love this gene
(@IronPen I love the idea of gaining the genes through "coli exposure"!)

Personally, my first thought upon seeing them was that the pattern reminded me of ghosts! So the way I'll work it into my lore will be like a 'curse' gene. (...maybe like the ghosts of the thousands of enemies we've eliminated...)
Like, avid coli fighters might be regarded as such a threat that they are cursed to display the ghosts of their defeated foes? The curse might then even be transferred to their offspring, like a whole family cursed for the actions of one of their progenitors...

(I also like the evolution theory, but what can I say, I'm always up for a ghost story :') )

pretty ghost lava lamps I love this gene
1lu6sg3.gif
the seas are lovely, dark and deep...
but we have promises to keep, and miles to go before we sleep

velsim #52577, the not-quite-drowned. - wishlist | sales | accents
[center][size=6]A Brief Announcement[/size][/center] In light of recent circumstances discussed [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2406780/25#post_32972422]here[/url] and [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2406780/26#post_33037873]here[/url], I have expanded the [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2406780#post_32421001]Discussion Guidelines[/url] section on the front page of Lorenieth. I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could give it a readthrough! ^^ Thank you! (Also, I want to take a quick moment to say you guys floored me with your amazing discussion on Python, Morph, and how their possible evolutionary / biological properties could work! :D It was such a treat to read and I’m so excited to see what fantastic ideas you all will come up with next!) [center][size=6]{*} {Breed Lore} What kinds of jobs may suit Pearlcatchers?[/size] Buffer Prompt[/center] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=wiki&article=21](Click here to read the Pearlcatcher Breed Article!)[/url] When looking through their canon lore, Pearlcatchers may at first seem to be... well, not the most useful dragons in a clan setting. Haughty, cowardly, and gossiping on the regular, trying to fit a prototypical Pearlcatcher to a practical clan job may seem difficult. Of course, not every Pearlcatcher is cut from the same mold, but it does make one wonder: what kind of work positions would best suit a typical Pearlcatcher? In what ways may these perceived weaknesses become strengths? Can Pearlcatchers like the article describes prove to be invaluable in spite of these negatives that initially may seem stacked against them? For this prompt, we will be brainstorming ideas around this query! Feel free to reference the breed article, canon lore with Pearlcatcher characters, or Q&As answered by the admins! If you’d like, share some of your own “typical” Pearlcatchers and how they contribute to the clan! And -- of course -- have fun coming up with cool ideas and bouncing ideas off of other users! :D [center][img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/progeny?body=33&bodygene=16&breed=4&element=10&gender=1&tert=29&tertgene=5&winggene=7&wings=20&auth=9b45eb48f67c983b4b1a52996f92033d06323d80&dummyext=prev.png[/img] {*}[/center] [size=4][u][b]Some Thoughts:[/b][/u][/size] [s]I’m going to call Pearlcatchers “PCs” here. I hope you guys don’t mind![/s] As of the time I’m writing this, I can think of two types of job positions that may suit a standard PC pretty well: librarians or workplace inspectors. [columns] [img]http://s3.amazonaws.com/pix.iemoji.com/images/emoji/apple/ios-11/256/books.png[/img] [nextcol] Librarians were an easy choice in my opinion since PCs seem to be a breed that loves knowledge. Perhaps it’s because they were made by the Lightweaver, but everything from juicy gossip to the layers of memories in their pearl are of particular interest or importance to them. I headcanon that a general love of learning or keeping information is common among most PCs, so having one be in charge of a library seems like a nice fit. Maybe it could even be seen as honorable amongst other PCs to be a “keeper of information!” (Even though non-librarian PCs may loathe to admit it; they are a prideful breed, after all.) In that position, they could be confident in sharing their knowledge with others, which allows them to stay prideful and may counter some of their urge to gossip. Tangentially, their prideful nature may also help keep them from sharing too much gossip at work or talking back to their boss. I doubt they would want to look like a failure in front of other PCs for losing their job -- even more so if combined with my idea that being a librarian may be honorable! [/columns] ----- [columns] Then there are workplace inspectors! Because PCs are big on gossip, I can see them skulking around and gathering as much juicy information as possible from employees and managers in various corporations. I can see this being particularly important in the Ashfall Waste or the Shifting Expanse; for blacksmithing or engineering, there could be quite a few [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=wiki&article=98]workplace hazards[/url] (ba-dum-tsh!) that would need to be promptly addressed by dragons of authority. As such, I can see a PC’s propensity for gossip being advantageous for such a job. In fact, I think PCs may be even more comfortable with a position like this if it’s covert and submissions of information are anonymous. This not only satisfies their cowardice (in that they could be less likely to be fired or hunted by those who wished to get away with shady or unsafe practice), but may also encourage them to be as honest with their feedback as possible. They may still deliver it in a prideful or haughty “PC” way, but in the end they are paid for their knowledge and for helping keep the workplace environments of Sornieth as legal, safe, and honest as they can be. [nextcol] [img]https://apprecs.org/ios/images/app-icons/256/c2/331025858.jpg[/img] [/columns] (At first I was actually going to write about PCs as spies, but then I reconsidered; after all, what happens if they get caught? Unfortunately, I can all too clearly see cowardly PCs bargaining for their freedom with information and double-crossing their home clans. But if any of you guys can find a way to reconcile a standard PC’s cowardice with being a spy, I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter! :D) [center][size=2]Pinglist was here.[/size][/center]
A Brief Announcement

In light of recent circumstances discussed here and here, I have expanded the Discussion Guidelines section on the front page of Lorenieth. I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could give it a readthrough! ^^ Thank you!

(Also, I want to take a quick moment to say you guys floored me with your amazing discussion on Python, Morph, and how their possible evolutionary / biological properties could work! :D It was such a treat to read and I’m so excited to see what fantastic ideas you all will come up with next!)

{*}

{Breed Lore} What kinds of jobs may suit Pearlcatchers?

Buffer Prompt

(Click here to read the Pearlcatcher Breed Article!)

When looking through their canon lore, Pearlcatchers may at first seem to be... well, not the most useful dragons in a clan setting. Haughty, cowardly, and gossiping on the regular, trying to fit a prototypical Pearlcatcher to a practical clan job may seem difficult. Of course, not every Pearlcatcher is cut from the same mold, but it does make one wonder: what kind of work positions would best suit a typical Pearlcatcher? In what ways may these perceived weaknesses become strengths? Can Pearlcatchers like the article describes prove to be invaluable in spite of these negatives that initially may seem stacked against them?

For this prompt, we will be brainstorming ideas around this query! Feel free to reference the breed article, canon lore with Pearlcatcher characters, or Q&As answered by the admins! If you’d like, share some of your own “typical” Pearlcatchers and how they contribute to the clan! And -- of course -- have fun coming up with cool ideas and bouncing ideas off of other users! :D

progeny?body=33&bodygene=16&breed=4&element=10&gender=1&tert=29&tertgene=5&winggene=7&wings=20&auth=9b45eb48f67c983b4b1a52996f92033d06323d80&dummyext=prev.png

{*}

Some Thoughts:

I’m going to call Pearlcatchers “PCs” here. I hope you guys don’t mind!

As of the time I’m writing this, I can think of two types of job positions that may suit a standard PC pretty well: librarians or workplace inspectors.

books.png Librarians were an easy choice in my opinion since PCs seem to be a breed that loves knowledge. Perhaps it’s because they were made by the Lightweaver, but everything from juicy gossip to the layers of memories in their pearl are of particular interest or importance to them. I headcanon that a general love of learning or keeping information is common among most PCs, so having one be in charge of a library seems like a nice fit. Maybe it could even be seen as honorable amongst other PCs to be a “keeper of information!” (Even though non-librarian PCs may loathe to admit it; they are a prideful breed, after all.)

In that position, they could be confident in sharing their knowledge with others, which allows them to stay prideful and may counter some of their urge to gossip. Tangentially, their prideful nature may also help keep them from sharing too much gossip at work or talking back to their boss. I doubt they would want to look like a failure in front of other PCs for losing their job -- even more so if combined with my idea that being a librarian may be honorable!

Then there are workplace inspectors! Because PCs are big on gossip, I can see them skulking around and gathering as much juicy information as possible from employees and managers in various corporations. I can see this being particularly important in the Ashfall Waste or the Shifting Expanse; for blacksmithing or engineering, there could be quite a few workplace hazards (ba-dum-tsh!) that would need to be promptly addressed by dragons of authority. As such, I can see a PC’s propensity for gossip being advantageous for such a job.

In fact, I think PCs may be even more comfortable with a position like this if it’s covert and submissions of information are anonymous. This not only satisfies their cowardice (in that they could be less likely to be fired or hunted by those who wished to get away with shady or unsafe practice), but may also encourage them to be as honest with their feedback as possible. They may still deliver it in a prideful or haughty “PC” way, but in the end they are paid for their knowledge and for helping keep the workplace environments of Sornieth as legal, safe, and honest as they can be.
331025858.jpg

(At first I was actually going to write about PCs as spies, but then I reconsidered; after all, what happens if they get caught? Unfortunately, I can all too clearly see cowardly PCs bargaining for their freedom with information and double-crossing their home clans. But if any of you guys can find a way to reconcile a standard PC’s cowardice with being a spy, I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter! :D)

Pinglist was here.
I think a PC would maybe make a good reporter? Like, they'd be invested in the knowledge, but if it turned out to be too big/out of their league, they could probably back down before it was too late? Or maybe a detective/informant? I'm hedging more towards informant, though, because then they could at least have a semblance of anonymity, and I have a feeling that their ability to tell the police/authorities things would possibly appeal to their "I'm better than thou" personality. On another note, (even though most of my lore is in my head) [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=339588&tab=dragon&did=35901838]Knuckles[/url], one of my Pearlcatchers heads a small-ish (but rapidly growing) organization that collects information and uses it to her (and her employees') advantage (coughcoughblackmailcoughcough). [quote name=Dreamnorn] (At first I was actually going to write about PCs as spies, but then I reconsidered; after all, what happens if they get caught? Unfortunately, I can all too clearly see cowardly PCs bargaining for their freedom with information and double-crossing their home clans. But if any of you guys can find a way to reconcile a standard PC’s cowardice with being a spy, I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter! :D) [/quote] ...Maybe if you threatened them really badly? Or teach them how to make believable lies (if they thrive off of gossip, they probably know the value of misinformation).
I think a PC would maybe make a good reporter? Like, they'd be invested in the knowledge, but if it turned out to be too big/out of their league, they could probably back down before it was too late? Or maybe a detective/informant? I'm hedging more towards informant, though, because then they could at least have a semblance of anonymity, and I have a feeling that their ability to tell the police/authorities things would possibly appeal to their "I'm better than thou" personality.

On another note, (even though most of my lore is in my head) Knuckles, one of my Pearlcatchers heads a small-ish (but rapidly growing) organization that collects information and uses it to her (and her employees') advantage (coughcoughblackmailcoughcough).
Dreamnorn wrote:
(At first I was actually going to write about PCs as spies, but then I reconsidered; after all, what happens if they get caught? Unfortunately, I can all too clearly see cowardly PCs bargaining for their freedom with information and double-crossing their home clans. But if any of you guys can find a way to reconcile a standard PC’s cowardice with being a spy, I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter! :D)
...Maybe if you threatened them really badly? Or teach them how to make believable lies (if they thrive off of gossip, they probably know the value of misinformation).
[quote]{Breed Lore} What kinds of jobs may suit Pearlcatchers?[/quote] My take on Pearlcatchers matches the official lore, but from a different perspective. I'll post some quotes from the Encyclopedia and then my thoughts on the quote underneath. [quote]Pearlcatchers are known for their love of gossip, choice tidbits and secrets of other dragons a currency among them worth more than mere gold. [/quote] My take: Pearlcatchers believe all knowledge is worth having. They would rather be powerful in mind than in body. [quote]The most notable feature of a Pearlcatcher dragon is the large, lustrous sphere carried with them at all times. . . Each new layer added to their pearl is believed to be the essence of what they've recently experienced, a memory made tangible and added to the whole of who they are.[/quote] My take: Pearlcatchers carry their pearls everywhere, so they must be methodical in their movements. This encourages them to be mindful and thoughtful, rather than rushing ahead hastily. The idea is that the time spent in mindfulness, holding the phsyical pearl, will translate to growing pearls of wisdom within one's heart. [quote]Pearlcatchers are notorious cowards, and prefer flight to fight. An offer of current gossip is often used as a bartering chip to avoid confrontation. [/quote] My take: Pearlcatchers would rather seek a diplomatic solution, rather than turn to violence which would harm themselves and/or their enemies. So based on all this, I tend towards "thinky" jobs for pearlcatchers. Mages, librarians, archivists, scribes, philosphers, mathematicians, and maybe lawyers.
Quote:
{Breed Lore} What kinds of jobs may suit Pearlcatchers?

My take on Pearlcatchers matches the official lore, but from a different perspective. I'll post some quotes from the Encyclopedia and then my thoughts on the quote underneath.
Quote:
Pearlcatchers are known for their love of gossip, choice tidbits and secrets of other dragons a currency among them worth more than mere gold.

My take: Pearlcatchers believe all knowledge is worth having. They would rather be powerful in mind than in body.
Quote:
The most notable feature of a Pearlcatcher dragon is the large, lustrous sphere carried with them at all times. . . Each new layer added to their pearl is believed to be the essence of what they've recently experienced, a memory made tangible and added to the whole of who they are.

My take: Pearlcatchers carry their pearls everywhere, so they must be methodical in their movements. This encourages them to be mindful and thoughtful, rather than rushing ahead hastily. The idea is that the time spent in mindfulness, holding the phsyical pearl, will translate to growing pearls of wisdom within one's heart.
Quote:
Pearlcatchers are notorious cowards, and prefer flight to fight. An offer of current gossip is often used as a bartering chip to avoid confrontation.

My take: Pearlcatchers would rather seek a diplomatic solution, rather than turn to violence which would harm themselves and/or their enemies.

So based on all this, I tend towards "thinky" jobs for pearlcatchers. Mages, librarians, archivists, scribes, philosphers, mathematicians, and maybe lawyers.
Looking at their lore, they seem to be rather artistic. I think they’d make great architects or interior decorators. (but make others do the heavy lifting, of course) They May do other art-centric jobs as well, like painting, writing, singing, and dancing.

For example, my PC Hope is a dancer and singer for my clan. She’s quite the gossip, and loves talking about the local celebrities in the tangled wood. (And gets to meet some too, being one herself!)

Also I personally can see PCs spearheading projects that require them to direct a group (having a knack at making others do the work seems like their thing) but that’s an idea i’ll need to develop when I’m not sitting at work kweh
Looking at their lore, they seem to be rather artistic. I think they’d make great architects or interior decorators. (but make others do the heavy lifting, of course) They May do other art-centric jobs as well, like painting, writing, singing, and dancing.

For example, my PC Hope is a dancer and singer for my clan. She’s quite the gossip, and loves talking about the local celebrities in the tangled wood. (And gets to meet some too, being one herself!)

Also I personally can see PCs spearheading projects that require them to direct a group (having a knack at making others do the work seems like their thing) but that’s an idea i’ll need to develop when I’m not sitting at work kweh
15gb95M.gif
Any pronoun|FR +0|I like dragons
5qSZZX6.gif
I feel a job for Pearlcathers would be a jeweler! It may sound odd but some Pearlcathers will use their black mucus to form bracelets and necklaces that are oriented around pearls. However, Pearlcathers pearls are smaller than most since they dedicate their mucus more towards their jewelry.

Many Pearlcather jewlers show off their sets of designed jewelry and talk about different techniques; showing off their knowledge of making jewelry.

Of course, many warrior clans think of this as useless since a Pearlcather jeweler is only good at making fancy accessories, and not good on the battlefield.

I'm not the best at this lore thing and this may not be accurate, but I do enjoy discussing different ideas!
I feel a job for Pearlcathers would be a jeweler! It may sound odd but some Pearlcathers will use their black mucus to form bracelets and necklaces that are oriented around pearls. However, Pearlcathers pearls are smaller than most since they dedicate their mucus more towards their jewelry.

Many Pearlcather jewlers show off their sets of designed jewelry and talk about different techniques; showing off their knowledge of making jewelry.

Of course, many warrior clans think of this as useless since a Pearlcather jeweler is only good at making fancy accessories, and not good on the battlefield.

I'm not the best at this lore thing and this may not be accurate, but I do enjoy discussing different ideas!
fBPJ3kI.png
1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 46 47