Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | A Plea to Players Giving Away Dragons
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14
I posted this to the Plague forum, and it was requested that I post it here as well, so I will.

Please remember that thread subscriptions no longer work (and never worked reliably), so if you want me to see any replies, please ping me in them.

Anyway, while I know that everyone is eager to shower the newcomers with beautiful dragons, I have a sincere request for those intending to host dragon giveaways:

Please avoid putting "never exalt" restrictions on them.

While it's ultimately up to you what sort of requests you put in your giveaways, keep in mind that when a player is new, they're still figuring out what they want in dragons, their tastes are still settling down, and this is the period of time when space is at an extreme premium.

I can understand a request along the lines of, "Please don't ask unless you really want the dragon," but it is, to my mind, just flat not fair to request that a player who starts with... what is it, 10 spaces at the beginning? And no idea what they really want in a long-term dragon that they keep one of those precious spaces occupied by your gift dragon forever. Especially if, and let's be honest here, the reason the dragon is in a giveaway was because you couldn't actually sell it.

It would also be great if we could avoid encouraging the "exalting = bad" mindset for someone joining for the first time.

We all love dragons, we all want to share our dragons, but I think something those of us in the newer waves can testify to is that in for many, during your first couple of weeks, space and treasure are harder to come by than dragons. If someone receives a gift dragon, then changes their mind about it... well, exalting actually gets you more space AND treasure.

Climbing off my soap box here. This was just something that I wanted to ask people keep in mind when gifting dragons, and hope I don't seem out of line with this request (for the record, I hope to give a few dragons away myself).
I posted this to the Plague forum, and it was requested that I post it here as well, so I will.

Please remember that thread subscriptions no longer work (and never worked reliably), so if you want me to see any replies, please ping me in them.

Anyway, while I know that everyone is eager to shower the newcomers with beautiful dragons, I have a sincere request for those intending to host dragon giveaways:

Please avoid putting "never exalt" restrictions on them.

While it's ultimately up to you what sort of requests you put in your giveaways, keep in mind that when a player is new, they're still figuring out what they want in dragons, their tastes are still settling down, and this is the period of time when space is at an extreme premium.

I can understand a request along the lines of, "Please don't ask unless you really want the dragon," but it is, to my mind, just flat not fair to request that a player who starts with... what is it, 10 spaces at the beginning? And no idea what they really want in a long-term dragon that they keep one of those precious spaces occupied by your gift dragon forever. Especially if, and let's be honest here, the reason the dragon is in a giveaway was because you couldn't actually sell it.

It would also be great if we could avoid encouraging the "exalting = bad" mindset for someone joining for the first time.

We all love dragons, we all want to share our dragons, but I think something those of us in the newer waves can testify to is that in for many, during your first couple of weeks, space and treasure are harder to come by than dragons. If someone receives a gift dragon, then changes their mind about it... well, exalting actually gets you more space AND treasure.

Climbing off my soap box here. This was just something that I wanted to ask people keep in mind when gifting dragons, and hope I don't seem out of line with this request (for the record, I hope to give a few dragons away myself).
dJjYcxr.png
Oh my god.
Thank you.

Oh my god.
Thank you.

Here, here.
Here, here.
marina_small_by_wesleart_by_bombswan-db2x2ss.png
I remember having this problem, and feeling super guilty about exalting the ones I didn't end up wanting. Seconded.
I remember having this problem, and feeling super guilty about exalting the ones I didn't end up wanting. Seconded.
IMG_1973_zpsb8nhmwm1.png?w=480&h=480&fit=clip.png
Cheers!
Cheers!
1xcX4j2.gif
Most times I agree with you, but some dragons are special and are gifted to newbies in the hopes that they will appreciate the gift. There was a spiral that was gifted to me when I was new, the very first nice thing anyone did for me, on my first day, and I kept him until recently when I gave him back to the gifter, who has told me that Elo will go to another newbie in this registration window. I would be, and they would be, devastated if someone accepted Elo and then exalted him. If you decide you dont want something that a lovingly given present, give it back so someone else can enjoy it.

You dont get to beg for a gift and then sell it for cash. Thats tasteless and rude.
Most times I agree with you, but some dragons are special and are gifted to newbies in the hopes that they will appreciate the gift. There was a spiral that was gifted to me when I was new, the very first nice thing anyone did for me, on my first day, and I kept him until recently when I gave him back to the gifter, who has told me that Elo will go to another newbie in this registration window. I would be, and they would be, devastated if someone accepted Elo and then exalted him. If you decide you dont want something that a lovingly given present, give it back so someone else can enjoy it.

You dont get to beg for a gift and then sell it for cash. Thats tasteless and rude.
CFD73y7.png
@Felahr

Yeah no. I don't think so. That's not how it works, and name-calling and guilting people about it- THAT is what's tastless and rude.

Once someone has a dragon, no matter HOW they got it, it is THEIRS to do whatever they want with. And you have no right whatsoever to try to dictate to them how they should behave regarding that dragon.

Minds get changed. Plans get changed. People need money. Lair space runs out. Colors clash. Ideas and plans get dropped.

And no one should EVER be forced to keep a dragon ZOMG FOREVERZ for ANY reason.

Quite frankly, probably most people won't even remember who gifted them the dragon in the first place once a few months go by, and you know what? They don't have to.

Also, 'beg for a gift'? What?

No. If a newbie posts on a giveaway thread, that is NOT BEGGING. That's accepting something being handed out freely.

@Felahr

Yeah no. I don't think so. That's not how it works, and name-calling and guilting people about it- THAT is what's tastless and rude.

Once someone has a dragon, no matter HOW they got it, it is THEIRS to do whatever they want with. And you have no right whatsoever to try to dictate to them how they should behave regarding that dragon.

Minds get changed. Plans get changed. People need money. Lair space runs out. Colors clash. Ideas and plans get dropped.

And no one should EVER be forced to keep a dragon ZOMG FOREVERZ for ANY reason.

Quite frankly, probably most people won't even remember who gifted them the dragon in the first place once a few months go by, and you know what? They don't have to.

Also, 'beg for a gift'? What?

No. If a newbie posts on a giveaway thread, that is NOT BEGGING. That's accepting something being handed out freely.

knhLXgs.png
@Felahr I uncategorically do not like gifting with strings and restrictions. If someone is going to put those restrictions in place, and the receiver agrees to them, I think it's polite to follow them, but... I don't really think that putting the restrictions in place are fair. [i]Especially[/i] because I've seen people mention cases where they were given dragons with some sort of, "Return it to me if you don't want it anymore" agreement in place, and then, when they attempted to return it... the other person welched. "It's your problem now, but you still can't exalt it." Since I can't really trust people not to go back on their word, and I can't always even [i]remember[/i] specific requests made with dragons, I flat don't accept gifts that come with those sorts of strings attached. [quote]You dont get to beg for a gift and then sell it for cash. Thats tasteless and rude. [/quote] That, I will agree with, but actually, I'd cut it down to, "You dont get to beg for a gift." It's not a gift then. Though I'll also agree that posting in a giveaway isn't begging.
@Felahr

I uncategorically do not like gifting with strings and restrictions. If someone is going to put those restrictions in place, and the receiver agrees to them, I think it's polite to follow them, but... I don't really think that putting the restrictions in place are fair. Especially because I've seen people mention cases where they were given dragons with some sort of, "Return it to me if you don't want it anymore" agreement in place, and then, when they attempted to return it... the other person welched. "It's your problem now, but you still can't exalt it." Since I can't really trust people not to go back on their word, and I can't always even remember specific requests made with dragons, I flat don't accept gifts that come with those sorts of strings attached.

Quote:

That, I will agree with, but actually, I'd cut it down to, "You dont get to beg for a gift." It's not a gift then.

Though I'll also agree that posting in a giveaway isn't begging.
dJjYcxr.png
I agree. I remember i cleaned my lair out a month or two a go and I cleared out about half of the dragons I got when I was new. Also don't make exalting sound bad it is GREAT for money.

I even exalted my progens. Those ugly things would have been money pits so forget the,.
I agree. I remember i cleaned my lair out a month or two a go and I cleared out about half of the dragons I got when I was new. Also don't make exalting sound bad it is GREAT for money.

I even exalted my progens. Those ugly things would have been money pits so forget the,.
I think once registration opens we should all do what we can to encourage exalting. Making it known and understood that exalting isn't a bad thing is very important and may help to stop folks from being upset when their dragons are exalted.

So when stuff like this happens and it's kinda crud at least we can learn from it yeah? :D
I think once registration opens we should all do what we can to encourage exalting. Making it known and understood that exalting isn't a bad thing is very important and may help to stop folks from being upset when their dragons are exalted.

So when stuff like this happens and it's kinda crud at least we can learn from it yeah? :D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14