Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | A Plea to Players Giving Away Dragons
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
[quote name="themightyfall" date=2015-04-07 18:02:02] Exalting is the highest honor a dragon can receive, remember??? Plus, it keeps the population down so that the site doesn't become flooded with dragons, which could cause the market to crash. So please do exalt! It's a good thing! [/quote] SO MUCH THIS!!!
themightyfall wrote on 2015-04-07:
Exalting is the highest honor a dragon can receive, remember???

Plus, it keeps the population down so that the site doesn't become flooded with dragons, which could cause the market to crash.

So please do exalt!

It's a good thing!

SO MUCH THIS!!!

Stuff will one day go here.
[quote name="Xaldin" date=2015-04-07 09:38:55] You don't 'have' to give anything away if you'd rather not (because hey, your dragons!), but if you [i]do[/i] give somebody a gift and then start placing conditions on it, it's not really a gift anymore, is it? If you don't want somebody to exalt 'your' dragon, don't place responsibility on somebody else. [/quote] I was actually going to say the exact opposite. If someone gives you a gift, you don't just throw it away? It's an unspoken 'condition' that is always in place when something is gifted. Of course, maybe years, or even months down the line, you might get tired of it and then depending on the gift, it'd be acceptable to throw it out. Now, just replace the concept of throwing it out with exalting a dragon that you were gifted because someone thought you liked it enough to keep it. It's the same thing. I am happy to agree to disagree with all naysayers who don't like people who give away dragons to non-exalt homes, but please don't assume we're gifting out of selfish reasons. That's just stupid. I give away these dragons because most of the time, they're relatively nice looking and are RARE. If this dragon is someone's dream dragon, you bet I'm going to try and find that person. If it's not, then maybe someone can at least enjoy it for a little while instead of me immediately exalting it. That's all there is to it, and I'm sad that there's people who are upset about it. Edit: [quote]It is rude to take something for free and immediately get rid of it, but it's also rude to insist that someone hold onto that gift for forever.[/quote] That's exactly what I'm trying to say here. I would never expect someone to take one of my dragons and keep it until the day they die, or quit, or whatever. It'd be cool to see that, but not expected. However, to exalt something shortly after it was given to you that you know the gifter didn't want exalted for a bit, is really rude. Especially because I tend to give away dragons that are hard to come by, it'd just majorly irritate me that someone would break my trust and ruin an opportunity for someone else to get their dream dragon.
Xaldin wrote on 2015-04-07:
You don't 'have' to give anything away if you'd rather not (because hey, your dragons!), but if you do give somebody a gift and then start placing conditions on it, it's not really a gift anymore, is it? If you don't want somebody to exalt 'your' dragon, don't place responsibility on somebody else.

I was actually going to say the exact opposite. If someone gives you a gift, you don't just throw it away? It's an unspoken 'condition' that is always in place when something is gifted. Of course, maybe years, or even months down the line, you might get tired of it and then depending on the gift, it'd be acceptable to throw it out.

Now, just replace the concept of throwing it out with exalting a dragon that you were gifted because someone thought you liked it enough to keep it. It's the same thing.

I am happy to agree to disagree with all naysayers who don't like people who give away dragons to non-exalt homes, but please don't assume we're gifting out of selfish reasons. That's just stupid. I give away these dragons because most of the time, they're relatively nice looking and are RARE. If this dragon is someone's dream dragon, you bet I'm going to try and find that person. If it's not, then maybe someone can at least enjoy it for a little while instead of me immediately exalting it. That's all there is to it, and I'm sad that there's people who are upset about it.

Edit:
Quote:
It is rude to take something for free and immediately get rid of it, but it's also rude to insist that someone hold onto that gift for forever.

That's exactly what I'm trying to say here. I would never expect someone to take one of my dragons and keep it until the day they die, or quit, or whatever. It'd be cool to see that, but not expected. However, to exalt something shortly after it was given to you that you know the gifter didn't want exalted for a bit, is really rude. Especially because I tend to give away dragons that are hard to come by, it'd just majorly irritate me that someone would break my trust and ruin an opportunity for someone else to get their dream dragon.
Couldn't agree more, though if I sell dragons I usually ask that players at least name the dragon before exalting it, because seeing unnamed dragons makes me go nuts. XD
Couldn't agree more, though if I sell dragons I usually ask that players at least name the dragon before exalting it, because seeing unnamed dragons makes me go nuts. XD
?Zc_qH=party.png
tumblr_inline_n6kdvfauea1qlye38.giftumblr_n69vu8VRkE1t0ibwro6_250.giftumblr_inline_n6kdvfauea1qlye38.gif
I never took part in any giveaways because I didn't want to get stuck with a dragon I may not like a week or two down the road once I figured things out. It was already bad enough when I had a dragon unnamed for a bit in my lair and got a nasty PM about it. Not your dragon, not your say. This isn't a present you're giving someone for their birthday that you personally picked out, this is a giveaway. It's like giving away free kitchen appliances and being mad when someone wants to get rid of eventually for a newer model.

I understand getting upset when they immediately exalt, but we're not talking about that. We're talking about when they get exalted down the line. This "No exalting them ever!" is not fair to the newbies.
I never took part in any giveaways because I didn't want to get stuck with a dragon I may not like a week or two down the road once I figured things out. It was already bad enough when I had a dragon unnamed for a bit in my lair and got a nasty PM about it. Not your dragon, not your say. This isn't a present you're giving someone for their birthday that you personally picked out, this is a giveaway. It's like giving away free kitchen appliances and being mad when someone wants to get rid of eventually for a newer model.

I understand getting upset when they immediately exalt, but we're not talking about that. We're talking about when they get exalted down the line. This "No exalting them ever!" is not fair to the newbies.
234.gif
[quote name="chespin" date=2015-04-06 19:15:41] I think once registration opens we should all do what we can to encourage exalting. Making it known and understood that exalting isn't a bad thing is very important and may help to stop folks from being upset when their dragons are exalted. So when stuff like this happens and it's kinda crud at least we can learn from it yeah? :D [/quote]
chespin wrote on 2015-04-06:
I think once registration opens we should all do what we can to encourage exalting. Making it known and understood that exalting isn't a bad thing is very important and may help to stop folks from being upset when their dragons are exalted.

So when stuff like this happens and it's kinda crud at least we can learn from it yeah? :D
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14