Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Stories of Windkeep Tower
1 2 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 78 79
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/30#post_34669844]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 53: The Escape[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41173788] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/411738/41173788_350.png[/img] [/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=42353367] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/423534/42353367_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Rhowen was leading Ruby through the dark and silent corridor. Their only light was the moonlight streaming through the occasional window and the small flickering candle in Ruby's lantern, which she clutched tightly as they walked. Tess had been sure to slip a sleeping draught into Quartz's evening drink to ensure he would sleep soundly, but stealth was of the utmost importance. This was their one chance. If they were caught, goodness knows what would happen to Rhowen and Tess, and all hope would be lost for Ruby. Quartz would not rest until she was completely under his control. "Where are we going Rhowen? Has my father authorized this?" Ruby whispered to her guard, not for the first time. "Quiet my lady. We cannot speak now. I ask that you exercise patience." Rhowen hissed back. Ruby once again fell into a sullen silence. They turned a corner. They were almost to Tess's secret passage. Rhowen had initially had his doubts about the passage, but Tess had assured him she had used it to sneak out and check up on Ruby's brothers regularly, and she had never had an issue. The mention of brothers brought up a number of questions for Rhowen, but there hadn't been the time to ask. All Tess had said on the matter was a hurried warning that Rubywing knew nothing of clutchmates, and Quartz had been told the nest had only one egg. It filled Rhowen with even more curiosity about Querida. They were getting closer now. They just had to reach the end of the corridor. Perhaps a bit early, Rhowen felt his heart skip. It was then that Ruby tripped over the corner of an ornate rug stretching the length of the corridor, flinging her lantern onto the floor. The candle rolled out and the flame caught on the rug behind them. By the time Rhowen realized what was happening, the fire had grown too big to smother without risking being caught. Quartz surely had safety measures to warn him if danger breached the mansion. "Run." He hissed to Ruby. Wide-eyes, she scooped up her lantern, which was only a bit singed, and ran after Rhowen. Smoke filled the corridor, making it harder and harder to see. For all its trouble, Rhowen couldn't help but be a bit thankful for the cover and distraction the fire provided. Rhowen dove into the small tunnel. Being best fitted for a manticore rather than a dragon, it was a tight squeeze, but it was managable. He could feels Rubywing following closely behind, breathing heavily from fear. Without the light from the lantern, it was impossible to see where they were going. Rhowen could only hope he had chosen the right crevice. After what seemed of an eternity of slithering through the tight stone tunnel, suddenly their burst out into the cool night air. Rhowen instinctively unfurled his wings upon meeting the breeze and Rubywing soon followed suit. He turned back to see how she was doing with this development, and he was happy to see a look of pure wonder and joy filling her face. They were free. Rhowen only hoped they could stay that way. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40857691] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/408577/40857691_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41058623] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/410587/41058623_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Juliette and Thorburn's business had been growing steadily. Most of the dragons of Windkeep Tower were unaware of the dark trade sparking in their ranks, but the right passing dragons knew where to go if what they sought could not be found in the clean and virtuous market run by Maggie. Currently, the two proprietors were sitting at a table in their lair in a hidden chamber off of the pantry of The Copper Lotus. Thorburn was counting coins, trying to work out how much they had made that day, while Juliette was tinkering with some sort of device made up of wires and gears. So far, Thorburn had still not been called back to Quartz, and he was thriving, and avoiding the vow that lay heavily in his finger. Perhaps someday he would rival the great coatl in wealth and power, and could take over all that he owned. His eyes glinted hungrily in the candlelight, and his eyes were only for the piles of treasure surrounding him. Juliette looked up, looking as though she wanted to say something, but she obviously thought better of it. Suddenly there was a loud noise in the pantry, like somebody had knocked something over. Both dragons looked up, then Thorburn swore, realizing the distraction had caused him to lose count. "What was that?" Juliette asked. "Who knows we're here? You didn't tell any of our customers, did you?" "Do you take me for an idiot?" Thorburn hissed. "No, it's probably just India or Runeclaw getting something for the tavern." "It doesn't sound like it was caused by a wildclaw." Juliette pointed out. She knew her aunt's footsteps, and she had learned Runeclaw's too by this point. This sounded like someone knew. "Well, maybe India hired someone new." Thorburn said irritably. "It's none of our concern. Runeclaw is the only one who knows that we are here." But Juliette wasn't so sure. Putting down the device she had been fiddling with, she slipped out of the room and into the pantry, where she came face to face with a pair of coatls. "Can I help you?" Juliette asked, a slight challenge in her voice. At the sound of her voice, the female coatl jumped and let out a squeak of surprise. The male turned around more coolly. Juliette could tell that he was the sort to try not to give away much with his body language. "We're dreadfully sorry mam, we didn't mean to intrude." Rhowen said with a small charming grin. "We are just in a bit of a tight spot and needed a place to spend the night without being seen by anybody before we take off in the morning. Do you perhaps have any rooms at the inn?" Juliette surveyed the pair. There was something familiar about the female coatl, though she couldn't place what it was. Regardless, she couldn't help but trust her. A dangerous assumption in her line of work, but she could tell these two meant no harm and were genuine in their need. "Alright, time to be honest. I don't work in The Copper Lotus anymore but if you need a place to stay out of the way, I have just the place." Juliette said, beckoning them into her hideout. Thorburn's head shot up at the sight of the two newcomers. "What did you bring them in here for?" He grumbled accusingly. "Let's just invite the whole clan down here, why don't we?" "Please ignore Thorburn, he's a bit grumpy today." Juliette told the pair, unintentionally adopting the friendly tone she had used during her work with her aunt. The truth was, Thorburn seemed to be grumpy every day, and he seemed to be growing more irritable the more time passed. It was getting exhausting. "I'm not just grumpy! That's Quartz's daughter, is it not? They are nothing but spies!" He glared at the newcomers with fury blazing in his eyes. "I'm sure they're not-" Juliettt began but Rhowen interrupted her. "Actually, he is right. Rubywing is Quartz's daughter, and I used to work for him. We ran away tonight in the hopes of finding a new life away from Quartz. you have nothing to fear from us. Please, if you do not want us here we can go and shelter somewhere else, but we've had a long night and we've go an even longer day ahead of us in the morning." As if agreeing with him, Ruby yawned and her eyelids began to droop. Now that the adrenaline and the excitement of freedom was wearing off, it was all catching up with her. She had never stayed up this late before, Tess had always been insistent on her going to bed at a decent hour. "If you don't mind me asking, where are you planning on traveling?" Juliette asked, ignoring her partner's exasperated sighs. "We weren't sure yet. Just as long as we get far away with Quartz." Rhowen told her. "We can help with that too. Quartz is one of our sworn enemies, and if I'm not mistaken, Rubywing is the daughter of someone who was once a good friend of mine. I would do anything to help Querida's daughter. We would be more than happy to help you out. Or rather-" Juliette said, rolling her eyes at Thorburn's huff of disapproval, "[i]I[/i] would be happy to help you out in any way I can." "Thank you, your help is greatly appreciated. You are very kind. If there is anything I can do to repay you-" Rhowen said, relief flooding him. "There's no need. I insist. I don't know what happened to Querida, but it must have been bad for her to stop visiting. If I can do something to help her daughter, then I want to do it." Juliette insisted. "I'll show you to my room. You'll have to share it, I have a feeling Thorburn won't give up his." "What about you?" Rhowen asked. "I'll sleep on the couch in one of our side chambers." Juliette told them. "If there's anything else you need, please let me know." And with that, she left them to get settled for the night. As Juliette returned to the main chamber, she found Thorburn staring at her. Juliette sighed, rolling her eyes, and sat down across from him again. "Jules-" "I don't want to hear it." Juliette said sharply. "But-" "She's my best friend's daughter, and if you're going to make a fuss about it, I'm just going to go to bed." Juliette sighed. "You know, a good heart is better than a million treasure. What's the point of it all if you have a heart of stone." Before Thorburn had a chance to respond, Juliette turned to go to her couch to sleep. "Oh, and I'm going to ask Runeclaw to go with them, at least until they get settled. And no, I don't need your permission for that either. Runeclaw is my family, he's more than just a grunt in the operation." Juliette said, eyes alive with sparks. Thorburn didn't respond, he just went back to counting his coins and muttering to himself under his breath. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/31#post_34710106]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Skyeset @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @RiaFire11[/center] ----- So now we check in with Juliette and Thorburn! Rubywing and Rhowen are out of the mansion and on their path to freedom, and our story moves onwards!

Chapter 53: The Escape

41173788_350.png

42353367_350.png

Rhowen was leading Ruby through the dark and silent corridor. Their only light was the moonlight streaming through the occasional window and the small flickering candle in Ruby's lantern, which she clutched tightly as they walked. Tess had been sure to slip a sleeping draught into Quartz's evening drink to ensure he would sleep soundly, but stealth was of the utmost importance. This was their one chance. If they were caught, goodness knows what would happen to Rhowen and Tess, and all hope would be lost for Ruby. Quartz would not rest until she was completely under his control.

"Where are we going Rhowen? Has my father authorized this?" Ruby whispered to her guard, not for the first time.

"Quiet my lady. We cannot speak now. I ask that you exercise patience." Rhowen hissed back. Ruby once again fell into a sullen silence.

They turned a corner. They were almost to Tess's secret passage. Rhowen had initially had his doubts about the passage, but Tess had assured him she had used it to sneak out and check up on Ruby's brothers regularly, and she had never had an issue. The mention of brothers brought up a number of questions for Rhowen, but there hadn't been the time to ask. All Tess had said on the matter was a hurried warning that Rubywing knew nothing of clutchmates, and Quartz had been told the nest had only one egg. It filled Rhowen with even more curiosity about Querida.

They were getting closer now. They just had to reach the end of the corridor. Perhaps a bit early, Rhowen felt his heart skip. It was then that Ruby tripped over the corner of an ornate rug stretching the length of the corridor, flinging her lantern onto the floor. The candle rolled out and the flame caught on the rug behind them. By the time Rhowen realized what was happening, the fire had grown too big to smother without risking being caught. Quartz surely had safety measures to warn him if danger breached the mansion.

"Run." He hissed to Ruby. Wide-eyes, she scooped up her lantern, which was only a bit singed, and ran after Rhowen. Smoke filled the corridor, making it harder and harder to see. For all its trouble, Rhowen couldn't help but be a bit thankful for the cover and distraction the fire provided.

Rhowen dove into the small tunnel. Being best fitted for a manticore rather than a dragon, it was a tight squeeze, but it was managable. He could feels Rubywing following closely behind, breathing heavily from fear. Without the light from the lantern, it was impossible to see where they were going. Rhowen could only hope he had chosen the right crevice. After what seemed of an eternity of slithering through the tight stone tunnel, suddenly their burst out into the cool night air. Rhowen instinctively unfurled his wings upon meeting the breeze and Rubywing soon followed suit. He turned back to see how she was doing with this development, and he was happy to see a look of pure wonder and joy filling her face.

They were free. Rhowen only hoped they could stay that way.

Juliette and Thorburn's business had been growing steadily. Most of the dragons of Windkeep Tower were unaware of the dark trade sparking in their ranks, but the right passing dragons knew where to go if what they sought could not be found in the clean and virtuous market run by Maggie. Currently, the two proprietors were sitting at a table in their lair in a hidden chamber off of the pantry of The Copper Lotus. Thorburn was counting coins, trying to work out how much they had made that day, while Juliette was tinkering with some sort of device made up of wires and gears.

So far, Thorburn had still not been called back to Quartz, and he was thriving, and avoiding the vow that lay heavily in his finger. Perhaps someday he would rival the great coatl in wealth and power, and could take over all that he owned. His eyes glinted hungrily in the candlelight, and his eyes were only for the piles of treasure surrounding him. Juliette looked up, looking as though she wanted to say something, but she obviously thought better of it.

Suddenly there was a loud noise in the pantry, like somebody had knocked something over. Both dragons looked up, then Thorburn swore, realizing the distraction had caused him to lose count.

"What was that?" Juliette asked. "Who knows we're here? You didn't tell any of our customers, did you?"

"Do you take me for an idiot?" Thorburn hissed. "No, it's probably just India or Runeclaw getting something for the tavern."

"It doesn't sound like it was caused by a wildclaw." Juliette pointed out. She knew her aunt's footsteps, and she had learned Runeclaw's too by this point. This sounded like someone knew.

"Well, maybe India hired someone new." Thorburn said irritably. "It's none of our concern. Runeclaw is the only one who knows that we are here."

But Juliette wasn't so sure. Putting down the device she had been fiddling with, she slipped out of the room and into the pantry, where she came face to face with a pair of coatls.

"Can I help you?" Juliette asked, a slight challenge in her voice. At the sound of her voice, the female coatl jumped and let out a squeak of surprise. The male turned around more coolly. Juliette could tell that he was the sort to try not to give away much with his body language.

"We're dreadfully sorry mam, we didn't mean to intrude." Rhowen said with a small charming grin. "We are just in a bit of a tight spot and needed a place to spend the night without being seen by anybody before we take off in the morning. Do you perhaps have any rooms at the inn?"

Juliette surveyed the pair. There was something familiar about the female coatl, though she couldn't place what it was. Regardless, she couldn't help but trust her. A dangerous assumption in her line of work, but she could tell these two meant no harm and were genuine in their need.

"Alright, time to be honest. I don't work in The Copper Lotus anymore but if you need a place to stay out of the way, I have just the place." Juliette said, beckoning them into her hideout. Thorburn's head shot up at the sight of the two newcomers.

"What did you bring them in here for?" He grumbled accusingly. "Let's just invite the whole clan down here, why don't we?"

"Please ignore Thorburn, he's a bit grumpy today." Juliette told the pair, unintentionally adopting the friendly tone she had used during her work with her aunt. The truth was, Thorburn seemed to be grumpy every day, and he seemed to be growing more irritable the more time passed. It was getting exhausting.

"I'm not just grumpy! That's Quartz's daughter, is it not? They are nothing but spies!" He glared at the newcomers with fury blazing in his eyes.

"I'm sure they're not-" Juliettt began but Rhowen interrupted her.

"Actually, he is right. Rubywing is Quartz's daughter, and I used to work for him. We ran away tonight in the hopes of finding a new life away from Quartz. you have nothing to fear from us. Please, if you do not want us here we can go and shelter somewhere else, but we've had a long night and we've go an even longer day ahead of us in the morning."

As if agreeing with him, Ruby yawned and her eyelids began to droop. Now that the adrenaline and the excitement of freedom was wearing off, it was all catching up with her. She had never stayed up this late before, Tess had always been insistent on her going to bed at a decent hour.

"If you don't mind me asking, where are you planning on traveling?" Juliette asked, ignoring her partner's exasperated sighs.

"We weren't sure yet. Just as long as we get far away with Quartz." Rhowen told her.

"We can help with that too. Quartz is one of our sworn enemies, and if I'm not mistaken, Rubywing is the daughter of someone who was once a good friend of mine. I would do anything to help Querida's daughter. We would be more than happy to help you out. Or rather-" Juliette said, rolling her eyes at Thorburn's huff of disapproval, "I would be happy to help you out in any way I can."

"Thank you, your help is greatly appreciated. You are very kind. If there is anything I can do to repay you-" Rhowen said, relief flooding him.

"There's no need. I insist. I don't know what happened to Querida, but it must have been bad for her to stop visiting. If I can do something to help her daughter, then I want to do it." Juliette insisted. "I'll show you to my room. You'll have to share it, I have a feeling Thorburn won't give up his."

"What about you?" Rhowen asked.

"I'll sleep on the couch in one of our side chambers." Juliette told them. "If there's anything else you need, please let me know." And with that, she left them to get settled for the night.

As Juliette returned to the main chamber, she found Thorburn staring at her. Juliette sighed, rolling her eyes, and sat down across from him again.

"Jules-"

"I don't want to hear it." Juliette said sharply.

"But-"

"She's my best friend's daughter, and if you're going to make a fuss about it, I'm just going to go to bed." Juliette sighed. "You know, a good heart is better than a million treasure. What's the point of it all if you have a heart of stone."

Before Thorburn had a chance to respond, Juliette turned to go to her couch to sleep.

"Oh, and I'm going to ask Runeclaw to go with them, at least until they get settled. And no, I don't need your permission for that either. Runeclaw is my family, he's more than just a grunt in the operation." Juliette said, eyes alive with sparks. Thorburn didn't respond, he just went back to counting his coins and muttering to himself under his breath.

So now we check in with Juliette and Thorburn! Rubywing and Rhowen are out of the mansion and on their path to freedom, and our story moves onwards!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall Whoa, that was tense! When Rhowen and Ruby stumbled into the room, I thought for sure that'd be it, so it was great to see Juliette helping them, and even more surprising when Rhowen didn't try to lie about what they were or what they were doing. I'm sort of hoping (in vain, I think) that Thorburn will be too engrossed in his money to do anything silly later.
@Petall Whoa, that was tense! When Rhowen and Ruby stumbled into the room, I thought for sure that'd be it, so it was great to see Juliette helping them, and even more surprising when Rhowen didn't try to lie about what they were or what they were doing. I'm sort of hoping (in vain, I think) that Thorburn will be too engrossed in his money to do anything silly later.
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
@Disillusionist

I am so glad you enjoyed it! Tension is rising for Thorburn and Juliette too...
@Disillusionist

I am so glad you enjoyed it! Tension is rising for Thorburn and Juliette too...
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
You’ve been writing so much, I’m impressed! I’m so glad Ruby is free, she needed it desperately...
You’ve been writing so much, I’m impressed! I’m so glad Ruby is free, she needed it desperately...
SEwVSoU.png ______phee | she/they | +2 fr time | art shop | hatchery | clan directory______ 1cnGog5.png
@rainphee

Thank you! And yeah, it's a relief to finally bring her out of Quartz's clutches!
@rainphee

Thank you! And yeah, it's a relief to finally bring her out of Quartz's clutches!
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/31#post_34693329]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 54: A Change of Business[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40857691] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/408577/40857691_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Juliette awoke before Thorburn and roused the visiting coatls from their sleep. Knowing the tavern would not be open at such an early hour, she made them a hearty breakfast to give them the strength for their travels. While they ate, she gathered some provisions for their travels and woke Runeclaw. The young wildclaw agreed to go with them immediately, eager for a chance to see more than Windkeep Tower. Leaving a note for India to find in the morning, the trio took off. When Juliette returned to their hideout, Thorburn was already awake, and he was waiting for her. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41058623] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/410587/41058623_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "What now?" Juliette asked, irritated by his disapproving glower. "Your behavior last night, it was unacceptable." Thorburn stated. "[i]My[/i] behavior? Sorry I'm not as rude as you are, Mr. Grumpy Pants!" Juliette shot back. "I wasn't being rude! I was being careful! Quartz is our number one rival, why else do you think I asked Runeclaw to break into the mansion to spy on him?" Thorburn asked. "I don't want to topple everything we've built!" "That was you? You sent [i]Runeclaw[/i]? Thorburn, don't you know how dangerous that is? When Quartz reported the break-in there was an investigation and everything! Runeclaw doesn't need that sort of reputation in a clan like this! Trust is of the utmost importance!" Juliette shot back. "It's an occupational hazard, and trust must be earned!" Thorburn shouted. "I know our business isn't one hundred percent legal or moral or whatever, but if we let ourselves start treating dragons as pawns, then we're literally no better than Quartz is! When did you lose your heart? Your compassion?" Juliette asked desperately. Suddenly, it was like seeing Thorburn in a new light. Is this how India had always seen him? Had Juliette been simply blinded by friendship and charm and the temptation of a powerful, wealthy life? "I don't need compassion!" Thorburn hissed. "I've never once been brought down by the plight of some weaker dragon in my life!" "No." Juliette said bitterly. "That much is obvious. I don't know what I ever saw in you, Thorburn. If this is how you want to run our business, I'm out." "Jules! Wait!" Thorburn's tone got desperate. For a second, Juliette saw a flash of something in her eyes, a look he had given only her, like she was the most precious thing in the world. It was the look that had won her over when she was younger, and it was almost enough to make her stay, but then his gaze hardened. "No, you know what? I'm done with this! If you want to leave, fine! I can do just as well without you!" "Then it's settled. We are done." Juliette hissed, and she turned and left Thorburn alone with the money he loved so much. if he thought that much of it, he could have it! She had more important things to get to. She tried to ignore how much her heart was breaking. Knowing right where she needed to be, she made her way up to the tavern, trying to keep her tears at bay. When she opened the door, India was up, absentmindedly petting Blossom the tavern cat and reading the note Runeclaw had left behind for her. She looked up when she head the bell on the door ring, obviously surprised to see Juliette there. Then she noticed the tears that had now started to run down her face. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40726683] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/407267/40726683_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Juliette? What's wrong?" She dropped the note and raced to her niece, wrapping her small arms around her as best she could. "I'm sorry India, I never should have left. I was a idiot off chasing foolish things. I never should have treated you that way. You've done so much for me to raise me and save me from whatever dangers were plaguing us at home, and I treated you like you were dirt." Juliette sobbed. "You were right about Thorburn, he cares for nothing but feeding his own greed and I was too love-struck to see it. We're done, and I want to come back to work at the Copper Lotus, if you'll take me back." "Oh darling, of course you are welcome here. No matter how far you run you are always welcome here." India cooed. "I'd be happy to have your help, but you don't have to work here forever. You don't have to work to earn your place here." "I want to." Juliette said, a smile breaking out on her face. The tears were finally ceasing. "I've missed this. I'll work here with you, and in my spare time, I'll practice my tinkering and building and focus on that. I'll fix anything you need fixed around here." "You know, once you've got yourself on your feet, I'd be more than happy to reduce your shifts so you can make your own mechanical business. You have a good head for business, but you were wasting it with that snake." India suggested, and Juliette realized her aunt had not been entirely blind to what it was that she and Thorburn were doing. It was not really a surprise, they had been running it out of the basement of her inn. "I'd like that!" Juliette said, wiping the last of the tears from her eyes. "Oh, by the way, I may have stolen some food this morning to help out a pair of dragons who are on the run. Also, I asked Runeclaw to go with them to make sure they were fine. I hope that's okay. Runeclaw wanted to stay and say a proper goodbye but time was really of the essence." She waited, expecting India to be mad at her for stealing from The Copper Lotus, but India only smiled. "Don't worry about that. Money may be tight sometimes but it is never too tight to help out those in need. That's what Windkeep Tower is all about. And as for Runeclaw, he is a young, energetic dragon, far too restless to be happy working at an inn forever- or being someone's black market errand boy. It's about time he got out to make his own path." India said. "What did I ever do to deserve you as an aunt?" Juliette said. "It's not about what you deserve, it's about forgiveness, and making the best of the future. Holding a grudge has never done anyone good and I love you far too much for that." India said, pulling her niece in for another hug. "I'm glad you're back." "I'm glad I'm back too." [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img][/center] It took Thorburn an hour to cool down from his anger, and he immediately regretted pushing Juliette away. What was he thinking? He needed her! She ran their operation far better than he ever could, with all those brains and strategic ideas. Without her to help him, business was surely going to drop off until he had nothing left. All their grand plans down the drain, just because he couldn't hold control of his anger. Not to mention- no, he was not going to think about that. Thinking about that hurt to much, and he was above hurt. Regardless, the fact of the matter was Juliette was gone and he had driven her away. Thorburn was not good at working on his own, so he needed a plan B. It was then that he caught sight of his pearl ring. It had gotten to the point where he had been almost able to forget about it, but it had never fully left his mind. It was a reminder of his promise to Daisy Mae, to find and kill Quartz. Was that why he and Juliette fell apart? Was it some curse that would not leave him alone until the deed had been done? No matter what Juliette had said about him being heartless (and Thorburn guessed he had pretty much admitted to it himself) murder was a bit farther than he wished to go. How did one even go about killing someone, let alone someone as powerful as Quartz? But then again, look where running from his destiny got him. No, he would have to return to Quartz, and hope that he would take him back. Hopefully, it would be a long time before the ring burned to command him to make his move, long enough to learn what he could. Then maybe he would no enough to be the next Quartz, to command the wealth and power he did. Then Juliette would be sorry she left him. She could have been his queen, and now she was going to settle for a life as a lowly tavern worker, cleaning up after other dragons. That would serve her right. He wondered if she would beg to come back, and if he would take her back if she did. After all, she was beautiful, and smart... and he was getting off topic. Now was the time to act, and secure his future while he still could. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40974719] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=40974719&skin=0&apparel=750,10380,26359,25793,25797,15736,3630,27765&xt=dressing.png[/img] [/url][/center] "I gave you your chance, why should I give you another?" Quartz asked, staring disdainfully down at the bogsneak before him. Normally he would have thrown him out without giving him a chance to speak, but he had to admit things were getting difficult. The mansion had caught fire the night before, destroying most of the northwest wing, and Ruby, Rhowen and Tess had disappeared in the night. if Mercer was truly encroaching once again on his territory, he needed every bit of help he could get to defend against the forces of the powerful imperial. Why couldn't his mentor admit Quartz had beat him out? Why was he not content to let Quartz revel in the success that [i]he[/i] had taught him to have? "With all due respect, sir, I have some information that might be of use." Thorburn responded, looking up at the coatl with pleading eyes. "Last night, your daughter and your servant Rhowen passed through my establishment. I would have brought them back to you, but my own partner double-crossed me and aided their escape before I could." "Ruby's alive?" Quartz asked, surprised. That certainly had caught his interest. So, the manticore and the guard had betrayed him, what a surprise. That was exactly how his day was going. "Yes. I don't know where they were going, but I would be more than happy to keep and ear out for word of them, if that's what you wish." Thorburn flicked his tongue hungrily. "Turns out I'm no good and running a business on my own and I need training. I would be more than happy to merge all my assets with yours and give you control if you teach me how to manage them and be as great as you are. Allow me to be your humble, obedient servant." Quartz could tell it was taking a lot for the headstrong bogsneak to lower himself to such a level to grovel. He must be desperate. As little as Quartz wanted to admit it, he was getting desperate too. if help came willingly to his door, he wasn't going to turn it down. Though, he decided, after all the betrayals he had experienced, he wasn't going to trust him. There was something fishy going on, and he hoped he cold work it out before it came back to bite him. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/31#post_34731597]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Skyeset @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @RiaFire11[/center] ----- I'm writing at a friend's house today! I wanted to be sure I stay on schedule with wrapping up this arc. Thorburn has decided blaming his troubles on destiny is a much better idea than taking responsibility for his own actions.

Chapter 54: A Change of Business

40857691_350.png

Juliette awoke before Thorburn and roused the visiting coatls from their sleep. Knowing the tavern would not be open at such an early hour, she made them a hearty breakfast to give them the strength for their travels. While they ate, she gathered some provisions for their travels and woke Runeclaw. The young wildclaw agreed to go with them immediately, eager for a chance to see more than Windkeep Tower. Leaving a note for India to find in the morning, the trio took off.

When Juliette returned to their hideout, Thorburn was already awake, and he was waiting for her.

"What now?" Juliette asked, irritated by his disapproving glower.

"Your behavior last night, it was unacceptable." Thorburn stated.

"My behavior? Sorry I'm not as rude as you are, Mr. Grumpy Pants!" Juliette shot back.

"I wasn't being rude! I was being careful! Quartz is our number one rival, why else do you think I asked Runeclaw to break into the mansion to spy on him?" Thorburn asked. "I don't want to topple everything we've built!"

"That was you? You sent Runeclaw? Thorburn, don't you know how dangerous that is? When Quartz reported the break-in there was an investigation and everything! Runeclaw doesn't need that sort of reputation in a clan like this! Trust is of the utmost importance!" Juliette shot back.

"It's an occupational hazard, and trust must be earned!" Thorburn shouted.

"I know our business isn't one hundred percent legal or moral or whatever, but if we let ourselves start treating dragons as pawns, then we're literally no better than Quartz is! When did you lose your heart? Your compassion?" Juliette asked desperately. Suddenly, it was like seeing Thorburn in a new light. Is this how India had always seen him? Had Juliette been simply blinded by friendship and charm and the temptation of a powerful, wealthy life?

"I don't need compassion!" Thorburn hissed. "I've never once been brought down by the plight of some weaker dragon in my life!"

"No." Juliette said bitterly. "That much is obvious. I don't know what I ever saw in you, Thorburn. If this is how you want to run our business, I'm out."

"Jules! Wait!" Thorburn's tone got desperate. For a second, Juliette saw a flash of something in her eyes, a look he had given only her, like she was the most precious thing in the world. It was the look that had won her over when she was younger, and it was almost enough to make her stay, but then his gaze hardened. "No, you know what? I'm done with this! If you want to leave, fine! I can do just as well without you!"

"Then it's settled. We are done." Juliette hissed, and she turned and left Thorburn alone with the money he loved so much. if he thought that much of it, he could have it! She had more important things to get to. She tried to ignore how much her heart was breaking.

Knowing right where she needed to be, she made her way up to the tavern, trying to keep her tears at bay. When she opened the door, India was up, absentmindedly petting Blossom the tavern cat and reading the note Runeclaw had left behind for her. She looked up when she head the bell on the door ring, obviously surprised to see Juliette there. Then she noticed the tears that had now started to run down her face.

"Juliette? What's wrong?" She dropped the note and raced to her niece, wrapping her small arms around her as best she could.

"I'm sorry India, I never should have left. I was a idiot off chasing foolish things. I never should have treated you that way. You've done so much for me to raise me and save me from whatever dangers were plaguing us at home, and I treated you like you were dirt." Juliette sobbed. "You were right about Thorburn, he cares for nothing but feeding his own greed and I was too love-struck to see it. We're done, and I want to come back to work at the Copper Lotus, if you'll take me back."

"Oh darling, of course you are welcome here. No matter how far you run you are always welcome here." India cooed. "I'd be happy to have your help, but you don't have to work here forever. You don't have to work to earn your place here."

"I want to." Juliette said, a smile breaking out on her face. The tears were finally ceasing. "I've missed this. I'll work here with you, and in my spare time, I'll practice my tinkering and building and focus on that. I'll fix anything you need fixed around here."

"You know, once you've got yourself on your feet, I'd be more than happy to reduce your shifts so you can make your own mechanical business. You have a good head for business, but you were wasting it with that snake." India suggested, and Juliette realized her aunt had not been entirely blind to what it was that she and Thorburn were doing. It was not really a surprise, they had been running it out of the basement of her inn.

"I'd like that!" Juliette said, wiping the last of the tears from her eyes. "Oh, by the way, I may have stolen some food this morning to help out a pair of dragons who are on the run. Also, I asked Runeclaw to go with them to make sure they were fine. I hope that's okay. Runeclaw wanted to stay and say a proper goodbye but time was really of the essence." She waited, expecting India to be mad at her for stealing from The Copper Lotus, but India only smiled.

"Don't worry about that. Money may be tight sometimes but it is never too tight to help out those in need. That's what Windkeep Tower is all about. And as for Runeclaw, he is a young, energetic dragon, far too restless to be happy working at an inn forever- or being someone's black market errand boy. It's about time he got out to make his own path." India said.

"What did I ever do to deserve you as an aunt?" Juliette said.

"It's not about what you deserve, it's about forgiveness, and making the best of the future. Holding a grudge has never done anyone good and I love you far too much for that." India said, pulling her niece in for another hug. "I'm glad you're back."

"I'm glad I'm back too."

divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png

It took Thorburn an hour to cool down from his anger, and he immediately regretted pushing Juliette away. What was he thinking? He needed her! She ran their operation far better than he ever could, with all those brains and strategic ideas. Without her to help him, business was surely going to drop off until he had nothing left. All their grand plans down the drain, just because he couldn't hold control of his anger. Not to mention- no, he was not going to think about that. Thinking about that hurt to much, and he was above hurt.

Regardless, the fact of the matter was Juliette was gone and he had driven her away. Thorburn was not good at working on his own, so he needed a plan B. It was then that he caught sight of his pearl ring. It had gotten to the point where he had been almost able to forget about it, but it had never fully left his mind. It was a reminder of his promise to Daisy Mae, to find and kill Quartz. Was that why he and Juliette fell apart? Was it some curse that would not leave him alone until the deed had been done?

No matter what Juliette had said about him being heartless (and Thorburn guessed he had pretty much admitted to it himself) murder was a bit farther than he wished to go. How did one even go about killing someone, let alone someone as powerful as Quartz? But then again, look where running from his destiny got him.

No, he would have to return to Quartz, and hope that he would take him back. Hopefully, it would be a long time before the ring burned to command him to make his move, long enough to learn what he could. Then maybe he would no enough to be the next Quartz, to command the wealth and power he did. Then Juliette would be sorry she left him. She could have been his queen, and now she was going to settle for a life as a lowly tavern worker, cleaning up after other dragons. That would serve her right. He wondered if she would beg to come back, and if he would take her back if she did. After all, she was beautiful, and smart... and he was getting off topic. Now was the time to act, and secure his future while he still could.

"I gave you your chance, why should I give you another?" Quartz asked, staring disdainfully down at the bogsneak before him. Normally he would have thrown him out without giving him a chance to speak, but he had to admit things were getting difficult. The mansion had caught fire the night before, destroying most of the northwest wing, and Ruby, Rhowen and Tess had disappeared in the night. if Mercer was truly encroaching once again on his territory, he needed every bit of help he could get to defend against the forces of the powerful imperial. Why couldn't his mentor admit Quartz had beat him out? Why was he not content to let Quartz revel in the success that he had taught him to have?

"With all due respect, sir, I have some information that might be of use." Thorburn responded, looking up at the coatl with pleading eyes. "Last night, your daughter and your servant Rhowen passed through my establishment. I would have brought them back to you, but my own partner double-crossed me and aided their escape before I could."

"Ruby's alive?" Quartz asked, surprised. That certainly had caught his interest. So, the manticore and the guard had betrayed him, what a surprise. That was exactly how his day was going.

"Yes. I don't know where they were going, but I would be more than happy to keep and ear out for word of them, if that's what you wish." Thorburn flicked his tongue hungrily. "Turns out I'm no good and running a business on my own and I need training. I would be more than happy to merge all my assets with yours and give you control if you teach me how to manage them and be as great as you are. Allow me to be your humble, obedient servant."

Quartz could tell it was taking a lot for the headstrong bogsneak to lower himself to such a level to grovel. He must be desperate. As little as Quartz wanted to admit it, he was getting desperate too. if help came willingly to his door, he wasn't going to turn it down. Though, he decided, after all the betrayals he had experienced, he wasn't going to trust him. There was something fishy going on, and he hoped he cold work it out before it came back to bite him.

I'm writing at a friend's house today! I wanted to be sure I stay on schedule with wrapping up this arc.

Thorburn has decided blaming his troubles on destiny is a much better idea than taking responsibility for his own actions.
@Petall [quote]Thorburn has decided blaming his troubles on destiny is a much better idea than taking responsibility for his own actions.[/quote] That's So Thorburn™ I'd normally be up in arms about his running to Quartz, but you framed his motives very effectively, and it was hilarious to realize pretty much the only reason he did it was because he's better at counting money than making it. XD
@Petall
Quote:
Thorburn has decided blaming his troubles on destiny is a much better idea than taking responsibility for his own actions.

That's So Thorburn™

I'd normally be up in arms about his running to Quartz, but you framed his motives very effectively, and it was hilarious to realize pretty much the only reason he did it was because he's better at counting money than making it. XD
@Disillusionist

I'm glad it had become such an iconic Thorburn move that he gets his own ™.

I originally wasn't planning on him returning to Quartz but I realized Juliette had been doing most of the hard work for him so he needed someone to continue to do that and Quartz was the only person he'd think to go to. And also the whole not taking responsibility for his actions thing. If he can find some way to avoid the blame, even if it's a hypocritical thing to do, he'll do it.
@Disillusionist

I'm glad it had become such an iconic Thorburn move that he gets his own ™.

I originally wasn't planning on him returning to Quartz but I realized Juliette had been doing most of the hard work for him so he needed someone to continue to do that and Quartz was the only person he'd think to go to. And also the whole not taking responsibility for his actions thing. If he can find some way to avoid the blame, even if it's a hypocritical thing to do, he'll do it.
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/31#post_34710106]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 55: A Part of it All[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41890810] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/418909/41890810_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Since Kyra's return, she and Kulshan had moved to a proper suite in the tower. It was one of the lower level ones, but the view was still spectacular. Currently, Kully had the curtains drawn and was deep in concentration. Since Ruby had been stolen away, Quartz had been putting him under more pressure to perfect his illusion magic. With a deep breath, Kulshan conjured the image of a storm seeker in his mind, and within moments, he created a whole flock of them. They fluttered and cawed as they filled the room, creating a very loud racket between the harsh calls and wingbeats. Storm seekers were second nature to him now. With another burst of concentration, the corvids all flew into a center point. It became difficult to distinguish where one storm seeker ended and the other began. Then the feathers grew smooth, turning themselves to scales. The next thing he knew, a giant three-headed emperor was crammed in his sitting room. They were all sleek black with piercing lightning-blue eyes. No, there was something not right. It was fearsome enough- it let out a satisfied roar that shook the walls in response to the thought- but all three heads looked too similar. It was more difficult to concentrate now, he had never created something this big before. With a tremendous amout of effort, he willed the head on the right to turn to a fire-born with golden scales, and the one on the left to an ice-born green. The scale shifted until they reflected the pattern and shade in his mind. All three heads gnashed their teeth and tried to crawl through the smaller room. Just then the door swung open and Kyra entered in just in time for the middle head to close its jaws around her. She let out a yelp of surprise and Kulshan's concentration was broken. The illusion broke in a puff of smoke a feathers, which cleared to reveal a very wide-eyed Kyra. The expression quickly changed to irritation. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41895746] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/418958/41895746_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "You really need to stop doing that, before I die of fright." Kyra said, only half joking. I'm surprised the neighbors haven't come by to check and see what's going on in here." "I need to keep practicing." Kulshan said in his defense. "But perhaps I find somewhere else to do that." "That would be a good idea." Kyra said, nodding to the mess of papers that had been blown all over the apartment. "Why are you doing all this again?" "It's complicated..." Kulshan fell back on his usual response. He had been planning to tell Kyra about his employment, but the timing was never right and it had just been easier to keep quiet. He was worried that when she found out all he was risking, she'd get upset. "It's not for Quartz, is it?" Kyra asked. "Q-Quartz?" Kulshan stammered. "You know, shiny pink coatl, makes large donations to Windkeep Tower, you have a whole book devoted to him that you read whenever you think I'm not looking." Kyra said, tapping her feet. "You know?" "Why didn't you tell me?" Kulshan sighed and sat on a pile of violet cushions. "I've made a terrible mistake." "I'll say so! I'm your mate! You don't need to tell me everything, but if you're in danger, I want to know!" Kyra told him. "This Quartz seems like trouble." "I made a contract with him." Kulshan explained. "Right when I first arrived here, that I would serve him no matter what the consequence. I wasn't thinking. I wanted to prove I was brave enough for you. He offered a high reward, I wanted to give you enough that you could live in the luxury you lived in back home. As you can see, the pay rate hasn't been exactly what he initially promised." He gestured to their humble flat. "I don't care that we're not living in the lap of luxury." Kyra rolled her eyes. "We're together, aren't we? Your my best friend, and all I have left in the world. I'm just happy knowing we are alive, and that we have each other! And it seems like Quartz is driving you into the ground. An illusion as big as that emperor is sure to be taking a toll on you." "War is coming Kyra, and I can't back out of it. And even if I could, I wouldn't want to. I dig myself this grave, I will stand in it and see it through until it's all through. I'm not backing down, I could never back down, it's not who I am." Kulshan insisted. "I know." Kyra's tone softened. "I just wish you had told me, then I could help you." "No. You're not joining Quartz. I don't know much about this war but from what Quartz has let slip, it's not going to be good. He even took back Thorburn and he never takes kindly to those who go against him. He must be desperate and if Quartz is worried, then we should definitely be scared too." Kulshan let fear fill his eyes for the first time that Kyra had seen. "He's got powers and connections I couldn't even dream of. You are not turning into another one of his pawns." "For one, I'm sure Quartz is more bark than bite. Lots of dragons put on a show pretending to be the sort of dragon they want to be seen as, as you well know." Kyra reminded her mate. "And two, I wasn't suggesting joining Quartz. I was suggesting that I hone my own shadow magic so that when the time comes to fight, I can fight by your side." "Kyra-" "Look, have you ever been able to tell me what to do? Turn be down and I'll just find some other way to do it. I've lost so much, I don't want to lose you. No matter what comes, no matter where your choices have led you, I want to be a part of it all. Otherwise what is the point of trying to make this relationship work? You already left me behind once, you are not doing it again." "Okay." Kulshan agreed. "I'll teach you what I know. And maybe, when all this is done, we can find out how to break the contract and we can live whatever way we want to." "Oh we are definitely breaking that contract." Kyra agreed with a smile. "There has to be some way to do it, isn't that the sort of cheesy thing you always say? Nothing is impossible, anything is possible with love, that sort of thing?" "Hey, don't bash 'anything is possible with love.'" Kulshan said, sharing her smile. "Isn't that what we're trying to do right now?" "I guess it is." Kyra laughed. "I guess it really is." ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/32#post_34753395]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Skyeset @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @RiaFire11[/center] ----- This chapter was way longer than I expected it to be. I guess I don't have Kyra quite as figured out as I do my other big players in the arc. But now she's in on this and she is not leaving Kully's side! I've missed writing these two! I initially meant to do an update like this where Kyra finds out about Quartz during the Brightshine Jubilee shortly after she arrived but I got unexpectedly busy, but it's finally here!

Chapter 55: A Part of it All

41890810_350.png

Since Kyra's return, she and Kulshan had moved to a proper suite in the tower. It was one of the lower level ones, but the view was still spectacular. Currently, Kully had the curtains drawn and was deep in concentration. Since Ruby had been stolen away, Quartz had been putting him under more pressure to perfect his illusion magic.

With a deep breath, Kulshan conjured the image of a storm seeker in his mind, and within moments, he created a whole flock of them. They fluttered and cawed as they filled the room, creating a very loud racket between the harsh calls and wingbeats. Storm seekers were second nature to him now. With another burst of concentration, the corvids all flew into a center point. It became difficult to distinguish where one storm seeker ended and the other began. Then the feathers grew smooth, turning themselves to scales.

The next thing he knew, a giant three-headed emperor was crammed in his sitting room. They were all sleek black with piercing lightning-blue eyes. No, there was something not right. It was fearsome enough- it let out a satisfied roar that shook the walls in response to the thought- but all three heads looked too similar. It was more difficult to concentrate now, he had never created something this big before. With a tremendous amout of effort, he willed the head on the right to turn to a fire-born with golden scales, and the one on the left to an ice-born green. The scale shifted until they reflected the pattern and shade in his mind. All three heads gnashed their teeth and tried to crawl through the smaller room.

Just then the door swung open and Kyra entered in just in time for the middle head to close its jaws around her. She let out a yelp of surprise and Kulshan's concentration was broken. The illusion broke in a puff of smoke a feathers, which cleared to reveal a very wide-eyed Kyra. The expression quickly changed to irritation.

"You really need to stop doing that, before I die of fright." Kyra said, only half joking. I'm surprised the neighbors haven't come by to check and see what's going on in here."

"I need to keep practicing." Kulshan said in his defense. "But perhaps I find somewhere else to do that."

"That would be a good idea." Kyra said, nodding to the mess of papers that had been blown all over the apartment. "Why are you doing all this again?"

"It's complicated..." Kulshan fell back on his usual response. He had been planning to tell Kyra about his employment, but the timing was never right and it had just been easier to keep quiet. He was worried that when she found out all he was risking, she'd get upset.

"It's not for Quartz, is it?" Kyra asked.

"Q-Quartz?" Kulshan stammered.

"You know, shiny pink coatl, makes large donations to Windkeep Tower, you have a whole book devoted to him that you read whenever you think I'm not looking." Kyra said, tapping her feet.

"You know?"

"Why didn't you tell me?"

Kulshan sighed and sat on a pile of violet cushions. "I've made a terrible mistake."

"I'll say so! I'm your mate! You don't need to tell me everything, but if you're in danger, I want to know!" Kyra told him. "This Quartz seems like trouble."

"I made a contract with him." Kulshan explained. "Right when I first arrived here, that I would serve him no matter what the consequence. I wasn't thinking. I wanted to prove I was brave enough for you. He offered a high reward, I wanted to give you enough that you could live in the luxury you lived in back home. As you can see, the pay rate hasn't been exactly what he initially promised." He gestured to their humble flat.

"I don't care that we're not living in the lap of luxury." Kyra rolled her eyes. "We're together, aren't we? Your my best friend, and all I have left in the world. I'm just happy knowing we are alive, and that we have each other! And it seems like Quartz is driving you into the ground. An illusion as big as that emperor is sure to be taking a toll on you."

"War is coming Kyra, and I can't back out of it. And even if I could, I wouldn't want to. I dig myself this grave, I will stand in it and see it through until it's all through. I'm not backing down, I could never back down, it's not who I am." Kulshan insisted.

"I know." Kyra's tone softened. "I just wish you had told me, then I could help you."

"No. You're not joining Quartz. I don't know much about this war but from what Quartz has let slip, it's not going to be good. He even took back Thorburn and he never takes kindly to those who go against him. He must be desperate and if Quartz is worried, then we should definitely be scared too." Kulshan let fear fill his eyes for the first time that Kyra had seen. "He's got powers and connections I couldn't even dream of. You are not turning into another one of his pawns."

"For one, I'm sure Quartz is more bark than bite. Lots of dragons put on a show pretending to be the sort of dragon they want to be seen as, as you well know." Kyra reminded her mate. "And two, I wasn't suggesting joining Quartz. I was suggesting that I hone my own shadow magic so that when the time comes to fight, I can fight by your side."

"Kyra-"

"Look, have you ever been able to tell me what to do? Turn be down and I'll just find some other way to do it. I've lost so much, I don't want to lose you. No matter what comes, no matter where your choices have led you, I want to be a part of it all. Otherwise what is the point of trying to make this relationship work? You already left me behind once, you are not doing it again."

"Okay." Kulshan agreed. "I'll teach you what I know. And maybe, when all this is done, we can find out how to break the contract and we can live whatever way we want to."

"Oh we are definitely breaking that contract." Kyra agreed with a smile. "There has to be some way to do it, isn't that the sort of cheesy thing you always say? Nothing is impossible, anything is possible with love, that sort of thing?"

"Hey, don't bash 'anything is possible with love.'" Kulshan said, sharing her smile. "Isn't that what we're trying to do right now?"

"I guess it is." Kyra laughed. "I guess it really is."

This chapter was way longer than I expected it to be. I guess I don't have Kyra quite as figured out as I do my other big players in the arc. But now she's in on this and she is not leaving Kully's side! I've missed writing these two!

I initially meant to do an update like this where Kyra finds out about Quartz during the Brightshine Jubilee shortly after she arrived but I got unexpectedly busy, but it's finally here!
@Petall :o I absolutely love the way you described Kulshan's illusions, the way they formed and changed. Plenty of lovely images there! And I can see why you missed writing him and Kyra. Kyra in particular seems like a lot of fun! She's got a pretty good head on her shoulders. I like to think she and Querida would get along.
@Petall :o I absolutely love the way you described Kulshan's illusions, the way they formed and changed. Plenty of lovely images there! And I can see why you missed writing him and Kyra. Kyra in particular seems like a lot of fun! She's got a pretty good head on her shoulders. I like to think she and Querida would get along.
1 2 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 78 79