Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Rename Rainbow Sprite...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 19
While it doesn't bother me for Serious Taxonomic Reasons since, as you say, making sense is not a requirement for things in the Flight Rising universe, scamming (or at least attempting to do so) with Rainbow Sprites is absolutely a thing.

There aren't any at the moment, but back when I was filling out my Sprite collection, there were many occasions when I'd see Rainbow Sprites come up in the auction listings priced between the most expensive Nature Sprite and the cheapest Water Sprite. Nowhere else - not sandwiched between, say, the Fire and Arcane Sprites - always right in that spot.

While this is not breaking any site rules, the specificity of that pricing and the frequency with which it happens makes it pretty obvious that there are at least some users out there hoping that somebody will glance at the search results for 'Sprite', see what looks like a discounted Water Sprite, and buy it without looking too closely.

Of course, it's not the staff's responsibility to prevent every shady transaction that could possibly take place on this site - as long as nobody's outright lying or stealing, caveat emptor and all that.

But this particular item is a very glaring example, and this has been going on for years. Not to mention that even the cheap listings make checking festival Sprite prices on the AH rather annoying. I think all in all, it's worth a rename.
While it doesn't bother me for Serious Taxonomic Reasons since, as you say, making sense is not a requirement for things in the Flight Rising universe, scamming (or at least attempting to do so) with Rainbow Sprites is absolutely a thing.

There aren't any at the moment, but back when I was filling out my Sprite collection, there were many occasions when I'd see Rainbow Sprites come up in the auction listings priced between the most expensive Nature Sprite and the cheapest Water Sprite. Nowhere else - not sandwiched between, say, the Fire and Arcane Sprites - always right in that spot.

While this is not breaking any site rules, the specificity of that pricing and the frequency with which it happens makes it pretty obvious that there are at least some users out there hoping that somebody will glance at the search results for 'Sprite', see what looks like a discounted Water Sprite, and buy it without looking too closely.

Of course, it's not the staff's responsibility to prevent every shady transaction that could possibly take place on this site - as long as nobody's outright lying or stealing, caveat emptor and all that.

But this particular item is a very glaring example, and this has been going on for years. Not to mention that even the cheap listings make checking festival Sprite prices on the AH rather annoying. I think all in all, it's worth a rename.
Y2CN2aK.png wc26tNn.png
While I've taken advantage for some clean fun (April fools threads along the lines of "first person to post gets a free sprite" followed by a 1WCR containing a Rainbow Sprite), I don't think the benefits of the name outweigh the costs. Support.
While I've taken advantage for some clean fun (April fools threads along the lines of "first person to post gets a free sprite" followed by a 1WCR containing a Rainbow Sprite), I don't think the benefits of the name outweigh the costs. Support.
wq9PoXA.png
[quote]Sorry, gonna have to say no support. Naming doesn't have to make sense, this is literally a site where sentient pants wearing dragons create magical nuclear reactors and serve powerful dragons gods to combat an ancient eldritch horror. A Sprite could be more than just a little fairy in the FR universe, it could be a type of fish, like trout, tuna, or sturgeon. I'm perfectly fine with the name as is.[/quote] Then, why is the Scarlet Flycatcher called...a flycatcher? Only one of the pair is called Sprite, and when people think of sprites, they don't think of the fish. It can be used for really funny situations like BlueJaysFeather did but right now, it's used to get money from people who don't know better. Changing it hurts absolutely no one playing legitimately. The only people losing out would be scammers.
Quote:
Sorry, gonna have to say no support. Naming doesn't have to make sense, this is literally a site where sentient pants wearing dragons create magical nuclear reactors and serve powerful dragons gods to combat an ancient eldritch horror. A Sprite could be more than just a little fairy in the FR universe, it could be a type of fish, like trout, tuna, or sturgeon. I'm perfectly fine with the name as is.

Then, why is the Scarlet Flycatcher called...a flycatcher? Only one of the pair is called Sprite, and when people think of sprites, they don't think of the fish.

It can be used for really funny situations like BlueJaysFeather did but right now, it's used to get money from people who don't know better.

Changing it hurts absolutely no one playing legitimately. The only people losing out would be scammers.
It makes way more sense for it to be a flycatcher, since we have the scarlet flycatcher too. I've had so many near misses with that particular familiar, even when I know better. It blends in on the AH.
It makes way more sense for it to be a flycatcher, since we have the scarlet flycatcher too. I've had so many near misses with that particular familiar, even when I know better. It blends in on the AH.
.~.~*~.~.
~* SCB *~
* accent *
~*shop*~
.~.~*~.~.

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *
-_-JRZc9fI.png
Support. I've seen the scams too. Rainbow Flycatcher would be a much better name I think.
Support. I've seen the scams too. Rainbow Flycatcher would be a much better name I think.
4xd1oW3.png
I fully support this idea.
I fully support this idea.
tumblr_ps6aiaSpNY1ugssd3o8_r1_500.png
[quote]Sorry, gonna have to say no support. Naming doesn't have to make sense, this is literally a site where sentient pants wearing dragons create magical nuclear reactors and serve powerful dragons gods to combat an ancient eldritch horror. A Sprite could be more than just a little fairy in the FR universe, it could be a type of fish, like trout, tuna, or sturgeon. I'm perfectly fine with the name as is.[/quote] "Because dragons wear pants, we can be as nonsensical and illogical as we want"? I mean. Sure. Because dragons wear pants and battle space shadows, let's not change the name of an item used frequently to scam people. Pants have nothing to do with fish. Maybe the dragons used to think the fish was a Sprite and science proved them wrong. We change the names of stuff in real life all the time, and by some estimations we're sentient monkeys that also wear pants.
Quote:
Sorry, gonna have to say no support. Naming doesn't have to make sense, this is literally a site where sentient pants wearing dragons create magical nuclear reactors and serve powerful dragons gods to combat an ancient eldritch horror. A Sprite could be more than just a little fairy in the FR universe, it could be a type of fish, like trout, tuna, or sturgeon. I'm perfectly fine with the name as is.
"Because dragons wear pants, we can be as nonsensical and illogical as we want"?

I mean. Sure. Because dragons wear pants and battle space shadows, let's not change the name of an item used frequently to scam people. Pants have nothing to do with fish. Maybe the dragons used to think the fish was a Sprite and science proved them wrong. We change the names of stuff in real life all the time, and by some estimations we're sentient monkeys that also wear pants.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
[quote name="Almedha" date="2019-03-08 07:51:45" ] [quote]Sorry, gonna have to say no support. Naming doesn't have to make sense, this is literally a site where sentient pants wearing dragons create magical nuclear reactors and serve powerful dragons gods to combat an ancient eldritch horror. A Sprite could be more than just a little fairy in the FR universe, it could be a type of fish, like trout, tuna, or sturgeon. I'm perfectly fine with the name as is.[/quote] "Because dragons wear pants, we can be as nonsensical and illogical as we want"? I mean. Sure. Because dragons wear pants and battle space shadows, let's not change the name of an item used frequently to scam people. Pants have nothing to do with fish. Maybe the dragons used to think the fish was a Sprite and science proved them wrong. We change the names of stuff in real life all the time, and by some estimations we're sentient monkeys that also wear pants. [/quote] Took the words right out of my mouth. Support!
Almedha wrote on 2019-03-08 07:51:45:
Quote:
"Because dragons wear pants, we can be as nonsensical and illogical as we want"?

I mean. Sure. Because dragons wear pants and battle space shadows, let's not change the name of an item used frequently to scam people. Pants have nothing to do with fish. Maybe the dragons used to think the fish was a Sprite and science proved them wrong. We change the names of stuff in real life all the time, and by some estimations we're sentient monkeys that also wear pants.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Support!
Neurodivergent Nonbinary Adult
Any Pronouns, No Preference

I have a processing disorder and I'm notoriously awful at math so patience is highly appreciated.

Feel free to ping me; I appreciate serious and silly pings!

My Questboard and Wishlist!
support! it's annoying to see them on the ah when I'm looking at the other sprites
support! it's annoying to see them on the ah when I'm looking at the other sprites
[quote name="BlueJaysFeather" date="2019-03-07 11:15:20" ] While I've taken advantage for some clean fun (April fools threads along the lines of "first person to post gets a free sprite" followed by a 1WCR containing a Rainbow Sprite), I don't think the benefits of the name outweigh the costs. Support. [/quote] ^Yeah there's been some non-scammy April Fools fun with it, but I have to agree, there's enough scammers taking advantage of it that the name should be changed.
BlueJaysFeather wrote on 2019-03-07 11:15:20:

^Yeah there's been some non-scammy April Fools fun with it, but I have to agree, there's enough scammers taking advantage of it that the name should be changed.
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 19