Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | No more special events like this one
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[quote name="gemajgall" date="2018-06-11 06:46:50" ] [quote name="ToonKuriboh" date="2018-06-11 06:31:07" ] This was ridiculous, we're not super-humans who can spend every second of our lives grinding in the coliseum. [/quote] To be honest, I think that even if we were superhuman, able to grind nonstop from the moment the event began until the moment it ended...with the way the vials were weighted, plus considering any given player might have a dozen permas (very easily more), I don't even think then it was physically possible for a player to get enough vials to get all the eyes s/he would have wanted. That is what resulted in this not being fun. I think the staff should definitely learn from this mistake, as it was a mistake, and not doing anything like this going forward, and fix the mistake by re-cycling the vials (I personally really like the idea of them popping up as an exalt reward, but I'll take any re-cycle method). [/quote] Literally every dragon in my lair with the exception of the final page and maybe one other is currently at Perma status. Of course, things change, but at current, I have approximately [i]75 perma dragons[/i]. There was absolutely no way in frozen hell I was going to be able to gather enough vials to get my favored eyes on all of them. On half of them. And with the posts I've seen about the eyes? Maybe even [i]one [/i]of them. So I didn't even try. Why waste my time stressing myself out? When it was more fun to play Stardew Valley and watch E3? When it's more lucrative for me to save my coli-spoons for the next Festival, where I'll be guaranteed to be rewarded for my efforts? I brewed until I ran out of mats. Couldn't grind easily without getting locked out of the coli thanks to the still-bungled captchas anyway.
gemajgall wrote on 2018-06-11 06:46:50:
ToonKuriboh wrote on 2018-06-11 06:31:07:
This was ridiculous, we're not super-humans who can spend every second of our lives grinding in the coliseum.
To be honest, I think that even if we were superhuman, able to grind nonstop from the moment the event began until the moment it ended...with the way the vials were weighted, plus considering any given player might have a dozen permas (very easily more), I don't even think then it was physically possible for a player to get enough vials to get all the eyes s/he would have wanted.

That is what resulted in this not being fun. I think the staff should definitely learn from this mistake, as it was a mistake, and not doing anything like this going forward, and fix the mistake by re-cycling the vials (I personally really like the idea of them popping up as an exalt reward, but I'll take any re-cycle method).

Literally every dragon in my lair with the exception of the final page and maybe one other is currently at Perma status. Of course, things change, but at current, I have approximately 75 perma dragons.

There was absolutely no way in frozen hell I was going to be able to gather enough vials to get my favored eyes on all of them. On half of them. And with the posts I've seen about the eyes? Maybe even one of them.

So I didn't even try. Why waste my time stressing myself out? When it was more fun to play Stardew Valley and watch E3? When it's more lucrative for me to save my coli-spoons for the next Festival, where I'll be guaranteed to be rewarded for my efforts?

I brewed until I ran out of mats. Couldn't grind easily without getting locked out of the coli thanks to the still-bungled captchas anyway.
Need a Dragon Bio? Check out my Lore Shop!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
Support. This event was an unmitigated disaster that a few tweaks would have made super fun, and I never want to see its like again.

A three-day grindfest for limited edition consumables that are the only way for old dragons to maybe participate in a new mechanic is not fun.
Support. This event was an unmitigated disaster that a few tweaks would have made super fun, and I never want to see its like again.

A three-day grindfest for limited edition consumables that are the only way for old dragons to maybe participate in a new mechanic is not fun.
jtgoRWq.png
I agree if you're going to do something game altering make it an annual event and no retiring the stuff I was up till 4 in the morning my time blew all my money and still only managed to get six scatters! I am just going to exalt dragons with creepy eyes from now on! I don't want the weird multi eyes. I didn't know you could go through eleven scrolls and still get the same eyes! Even for those of us who participated fully in the event are getting helix wedged with this!
I agree if you're going to do something game altering make it an annual event and no retiring the stuff I was up till 4 in the morning my time blew all my money and still only managed to get six scatters! I am just going to exalt dragons with creepy eyes from now on! I don't want the weird multi eyes. I didn't know you could go through eleven scrolls and still get the same eyes! Even for those of us who participated fully in the event are getting helix wedged with this!
I think a week would have been better. Some people have to work over the weekend, or have other engagements. For a permanently retiring item it would have been most fair to give everyone a chance to farm it even if they had to work all weekend. Yeah, support. I'd say this was just a poor model for events and staff should take this into consideration when planning events in the future.
I think a week would have been better. Some people have to work over the weekend, or have other engagements. For a permanently retiring item it would have been most fair to give everyone a chance to farm it even if they had to work all weekend. Yeah, support. I'd say this was just a poor model for events and staff should take this into consideration when planning events in the future.
Mixed support.

I think time-limited events can be very good, but that, in general, 3 days is too short for any event that offers a permanent appearance change for dragons — 1 week should be the standard.
3 days to brew a new familiar, or to experience some silly lore thing? Sure! But our dragons are special to us and we want as much time as possible to make them perfect.

Secondly, I'm very much in agreement with the crowd that such a narrow chance to affect something so core to our engagement with the site as dragon eyes (we all based our very identities—that is, our Flight loyalty—on FR around eyes, after all!) wasn't a good match for a highly time-limited item that permanently retires. I'd have loved to go for Multi-Gaze or Primal on a few of my dragons, but settled for far less because it just wasn't viable for me to acquire the literally hundreds of Vials needed to beat the odds. It was a horrible exercise in frustration that left so many people feeling just awful.
Mixed support.

I think time-limited events can be very good, but that, in general, 3 days is too short for any event that offers a permanent appearance change for dragons — 1 week should be the standard.
3 days to brew a new familiar, or to experience some silly lore thing? Sure! But our dragons are special to us and we want as much time as possible to make them perfect.

Secondly, I'm very much in agreement with the crowd that such a narrow chance to affect something so core to our engagement with the site as dragon eyes (we all based our very identities—that is, our Flight loyalty—on FR around eyes, after all!) wasn't a good match for a highly time-limited item that permanently retires. I'd have loved to go for Multi-Gaze or Primal on a few of my dragons, but settled for far less because it just wasn't viable for me to acquire the literally hundreds of Vials needed to beat the odds. It was a horrible exercise in frustration that left so many people feeling just awful.
pixel art adopt of Snowdrop the veilspun, by Ambulocetus

she/her | FR +2
previously Tuberose
Full support. While I truly like this update, and eye types are a very fun addition to the game, the way this was handled was very jarring. The player base was told that a game-changing mechanic was implemented, but they only had 72 hours to gather the items necessary to update their dragon’s eyes. In order to do this, many were stuck at their computers for days, mindlessly grinding (and possibly injuring their wrists). While grinding was the player’s choice, it is ultimately the responsibility of the site admins to not put the player in this position. Everyone was in a panic, because they felt like they had to sit and grind on FR if they didn’t want to miss out on the festivities.

In addition to this, things were handled rather awkwardly on the PR side, too. There was no word from any admins for some period of time, despite the player base’s unrest. And when they did respond, it appeared that no feedback would be taken into account - it felt like an automated response. But that’s just a personal aside.
Full support. While I truly like this update, and eye types are a very fun addition to the game, the way this was handled was very jarring. The player base was told that a game-changing mechanic was implemented, but they only had 72 hours to gather the items necessary to update their dragon’s eyes. In order to do this, many were stuck at their computers for days, mindlessly grinding (and possibly injuring their wrists). While grinding was the player’s choice, it is ultimately the responsibility of the site admins to not put the player in this position. Everyone was in a panic, because they felt like they had to sit and grind on FR if they didn’t want to miss out on the festivities.

In addition to this, things were handled rather awkwardly on the PR side, too. There was no word from any admins for some period of time, despite the player base’s unrest. And when they did respond, it appeared that no feedback would be taken into account - it felt like an automated response. But that’s just a personal aside.
food_white_masked_dustbug_by_dogi_crimson-dahwix8.gif
Support. I like the concept but like many others have said it was poorly implemented. If it's going to be a three-day event, we needed to have been told ahead of time so that we knew what to expect and could prepare. Afaik there wasn't ever an anniversary event like this, it was "Happy anniversary, here's a gift!" so I logged on Friday with two hours left before rollover and essentially only had two days to participate, both of which I had other responsibilities.

So yeah. I'm all for events! They make the site fun and make it feel like more than just a breeding game. I love what staff comes up with for events! But. If it's a short event, there needs to be forewarning. If it's a surprise event, then we need at least a week.
Support. I like the concept but like many others have said it was poorly implemented. If it's going to be a three-day event, we needed to have been told ahead of time so that we knew what to expect and could prepare. Afaik there wasn't ever an anniversary event like this, it was "Happy anniversary, here's a gift!" so I logged on Friday with two hours left before rollover and essentially only had two days to participate, both of which I had other responsibilities.

So yeah. I'm all for events! They make the site fun and make it feel like more than just a breeding game. I love what staff comes up with for events! But. If it's a short event, there needs to be forewarning. If it's a surprise event, then we need at least a week.
3sKaKGc.png
gray » fr+3 » flight traveler
I don't know the technical terms for these things but I remember the original NoN was a bit of a disaster for basically the same reason this event was a disaster. The treasure boxes had an extremely low % success for dropping Breedchange scroll and decently low on Eggs but not as bad. No one knew if the event would return next year. People went bananas, I was among them. I spent almost an entire month Coli grinding several hours a day and all of my weekends to get a Noc Scroll. I opened 7,000 chests and never got one. Not one. And that event we had all of December! And people were still stressed, people were very upset after that event ended. The next year the drop rates had been changed and it wasn't as hard to get eggs and scrolls (plus knowing it was returning changed the stress factor).

Then this event... I would say the issue was the very limited time, then you have an item that's not that easy to get, and then you have the success rate of the Primal or Multi-Gaze astronomically low. Now you add in that it's the only way for older players to put new eyes on their dragons and they have 3 days to do it with nearly no chance of getting rare eye types. This combo of factors = terror.

I feel like if even 1 of those factors had been different it wouldn't have been so bad. Give us more time or up the % chance on the rare eye types since this is a very limited item and it's cosmetic only. Or make the drop rate in Coli very good. But together it's brutal.

I spent 60,000 gems on this event and didn't get what I wanted.

I would suggest that we still have events like this but we change or don't use the randomly generated chances. I think there's a name for this but I don't know it, some MMORPGs use it but where there's still such items but it has a tier system? So you still have the same odds of just being really lucky but for other people who are putting in honest time and/or money, if they don't get the rare drop after 100 or 400 uses, the odds slightly increase with each failure. When you get a success, it resets. I think something like this for a 3 day event, all things considered, would have been better. That way, you're not... punished when you're actually working hard. I think having to use 100 of these scatters was brutal but I heard some people used more and didn't get the rare %. The same as, all these years later, I still resent having to open 7000 treasure chests and spending all that time grinding and never getting 1 breedchange scroll. For limited time events, the odds shouldn't be so severe on these items. If they were never going away, then fine. I'd like to see some kind of tier system that scales by the amount you open for future limited time events or the drop rates on the rare items/chances be a little less severe.

So short version (hahah): I want more special events but I'd really like the % chances of the drop rates to be better when they're short time/limited time events.
I don't know the technical terms for these things but I remember the original NoN was a bit of a disaster for basically the same reason this event was a disaster. The treasure boxes had an extremely low % success for dropping Breedchange scroll and decently low on Eggs but not as bad. No one knew if the event would return next year. People went bananas, I was among them. I spent almost an entire month Coli grinding several hours a day and all of my weekends to get a Noc Scroll. I opened 7,000 chests and never got one. Not one. And that event we had all of December! And people were still stressed, people were very upset after that event ended. The next year the drop rates had been changed and it wasn't as hard to get eggs and scrolls (plus knowing it was returning changed the stress factor).

Then this event... I would say the issue was the very limited time, then you have an item that's not that easy to get, and then you have the success rate of the Primal or Multi-Gaze astronomically low. Now you add in that it's the only way for older players to put new eyes on their dragons and they have 3 days to do it with nearly no chance of getting rare eye types. This combo of factors = terror.

I feel like if even 1 of those factors had been different it wouldn't have been so bad. Give us more time or up the % chance on the rare eye types since this is a very limited item and it's cosmetic only. Or make the drop rate in Coli very good. But together it's brutal.

I would suggest that we still have events like this but we change or don't use the randomly generated chances. I think there's a name for this but I don't know it, some MMORPGs use it but where there's still such items but it has a tier system? So you still have the same odds of just being really lucky but for other people who are putting in honest time and/or money, if they don't get the rare drop after 100 or 400 uses, the odds slightly increase with each failure. When you get a success, it resets. I think something like this for a 3 day event, all things considered, would have been better. That way, you're not... punished when you're actually working hard. I think having to use 100 of these scatters was brutal but I heard some people used more and didn't get the rare %. The same as, all these years later, I still resent having to open 7000 treasure chests and spending all that time grinding and never getting 1 breedchange scroll. For limited time events, the odds shouldn't be so severe on these items. If they were never going away, then fine. I'd like to see some kind of tier system that scales by the amount you open for future limited time events or the drop rates on the rare items/chances be a little less severe.

So short version (hahah): I want more special events but I'd really like the % chances of the drop rates to be better when they're short time/limited time events.
I 100% support this. I feel like, for such a major change and being the only opportunity for our older beloved dragons to be customised with the new eyes - the chance and time scale were not realistic.

For elemental holidays, they last a week, and we know roughly in advance when they'll take place each month.

This event, with such a core mechanic being included, only lasted 3 days and I don't think we received any heads up? I think that's incredibly unfair as many players simply cannot drop everything at a moment's notice to stressfully grind for a temporary chance item. At least, I know I can't.
I 100% support this. I feel like, for such a major change and being the only opportunity for our older beloved dragons to be customised with the new eyes - the chance and time scale were not realistic.

For elemental holidays, they last a week, and we know roughly in advance when they'll take place each month.

This event, with such a core mechanic being included, only lasted 3 days and I don't think we received any heads up? I think that's incredibly unfair as many players simply cannot drop everything at a moment's notice to stressfully grind for a temporary chance item. At least, I know I can't.
tDAcVLz.png
[quote name="Astraya" date="2018-06-11 10:54:51" ] I spent 60,000 gems on this event and didn't get what I wanted. [/quote] Oh my god. Oh my god? That's. I'm so sorry. I'm horrified. [i]Sixty-Thousand Gems[/i]. So what I'm seeing here is that these Scattersights are essentially Flight Rising's edition of the Loot Box. I don't know why I didn't think about that sooner but just...that is fricken blasphemous. At that much money, at that much premium currency, you should be able to get whatever eye-type you want. Holy. Shit.
Astraya wrote on 2018-06-11 10:54:51:

Oh my god. Oh my god? That's. I'm so sorry. I'm horrified. Sixty-Thousand Gems.

So what I'm seeing here is that these Scattersights are essentially Flight Rising's edition of the Loot Box. I don't know why I didn't think about that sooner but just...that is fricken blasphemous. At that much money, at that much premium currency, you should be able to get whatever eye-type you want. Holy. ****.
Need a Dragon Bio? Check out my Lore Shop!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10