Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Cut skin/accent makers slack.
1 2 ... 59 60 61 62 63 ... 81 82
[quote name="SparkyLurkdragon" date="2021-07-26 20:36:04" ] I feel like documenting how much nonsense lostcrow had to go through for this skin is worth doing, so I left a comment on the Game Database entry for it with what I think is a fair comment describing the issue and a link to her first post in this thread on the topic. Let's not flood the Game Database entry with comments about it since that's not what it's for, but man if her experience wasn't a symptom of how wonky this whole issue is, and if nothing else I feel it is relevant trivia about the skin. The comment I left was: [quote=SparkyLurkdragon]This skin had a protracted number of submissions, rejections, and resubmissions for acceptance to the site, which some players feel is a symptom of poorly-communicated and arbitrary rules for player-submitted skins as of July 2021. The iterations are documented in this topic, starting from this post: https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/1550818/53#post_47845759[/quote] [/quote] I just feel bad that so many people understood what I was going through and many had their own difficulties with skins.
SparkyLurkdragon wrote on 2021-07-26 20:36:04:
I feel like documenting how much nonsense lostcrow had to go through for this skin is worth doing, so I left a comment on the Game Database entry for it with what I think is a fair comment describing the issue and a link to her first post in this thread on the topic.

Let's not flood the Game Database entry with comments about it since that's not what it's for, but man if her experience wasn't a symptom of how wonky this whole issue is, and if nothing else I feel it is relevant trivia about the skin.

The comment I left was:
SparkyLurkdragon wrote:
This skin had a protracted number of submissions, rejections, and resubmissions for acceptance to the site, which some players feel is a symptom of poorly-communicated and arbitrary rules for player-submitted skins as of July 2021. The iterations are documented in this topic, starting from this post: https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/1550818/53#post_47845759

I just feel bad that so many people understood what I was going through and many had their own difficulties with skins.
Ego - 18 - She/Her - thanks for playing with me all these years!
[quote name="lostcrow" date="2021-07-26 20:16:51" ] Update [item=skin: rukkehrunruhe] Thank Noodledad… oh my god.. [/quote] Bless! I'm so happy it got worked out. <3
lostcrow wrote on 2021-07-26 20:16:51:
Update
Skin: rukkehrunruhe

Thank Noodledad… oh my god..

Bless! I'm so happy it got worked out. <3
Flight Rising is a 13+ site, or T rated. Blood should be allowed - I’ve played T rated games with way worse than anything I’ve seen that’s been rejected on this thread.

Although this might be a controversial opinion, if Flight Rising really wants to let their playerbase express themselves and be able to make plague related stuff or even just draw blood again, they might need to bump up the required age to be on the site to 15-16 years old.

Even allowing gore could potentially be allowed if they implemented a tagging system. I’m no programmer but I used to take programming classes and my brother graduated with a game design degree, and after some consideration here’s what I think.

Obviously as stated earlier FR doesn’t store images for each dragon. Not only would the server space needed be incredibly high, it just wouldn’t make sense. Flight Rising stores things in layers - generating each image one at a time as the page loads, so ex. If you had a dragon with no clothes it would only need to generate the image of the dragon, but if you equipped a flower crown, it wouldn’t still be 1 image - it would generate the dragon, and then the flower crown. It’s the same with skins.

Obviously adding a tagging system would be difficult due to the amount of skins on the site. So, here’s the idea.

Sensitive content filter for the whole site.

This would allow the devs to be free with plague again, and people could simply toggle the sensitive content off if they didn’t want to see it, threads could be marked as sensitive content if you want to have a war related piece of lore with violence posted to the forums, and of course, skins could be tagged this way.

There was a site that datamined flight rising before the game database’s release that had all the apparel filtered into the categories we know, and of course we found out that flight riding does indeed have a tagging system for these pieces of apparel, based on the colors featured, fest, whether or not it’s in your hoard, placement, etc.

Of course, there is the difficult part of a tagging system - letting players create their own tags and tag their skins wouldn’t work as each separate tag would be stored as data in the server and when you can make new tags at any given point for any reason you can see how this is an issue.

i do have a solution but first I want to point out the elephant in the room - fr actually has a tagging system for skins, just not for the reasons you think. Ever noticed how you could sort the skins by breed, gender, and colors? That’s thanks to a tagging system. So we do know that this system does actually exist, which makes things easier on the devs.

But of course, my solution is to have 2 tags. These 2 would generally cover everything needed and then you can just sort by colors and breed to find skins you like theme-wise.
The tags would be Blood, and Gore.
Blood is just for blood. Small wounds, blood splatters, etc.
Gore is for the raunchy stuff. Let the artists express themselves!

Artists would be able to submit a skin and when it gets approved, part of the approval process would simply be adding it to the tag the devs see fit, which would eliminate a lot of rejections.

I wouldn’t let players manually do it as people could abuse this to submit violent skins and not put a content warning on it.

In your general settings you could have a toggle for what you want to turn off, so if you don’t want gore but are cool with blood/etc, you could just toggle only gore off, and for >16 year old players that option could be revoked and it would automatically turn it off with no way to turn it on until they turn 16.

It would be probably relatively easy to add this tag system since we know one already exists, and then new submissions could be tagged while mods go back and tag anything else.

The filter would work that it would just hide these results from your searches in the game database, and if a dragon was posted in a forum with a really raunchy skin and you had it turned off, the dragon’s skin wouldn’t need to be loaded. If someone posted a skin by using [item= , it wouldn’t show up for you as if it was simply misspelled or something.

TLDR: tag system explained and solution
Flight Rising is a 13+ site, or T rated. Blood should be allowed - I’ve played T rated games with way worse than anything I’ve seen that’s been rejected on this thread.

Although this might be a controversial opinion, if Flight Rising really wants to let their playerbase express themselves and be able to make plague related stuff or even just draw blood again, they might need to bump up the required age to be on the site to 15-16 years old.

Even allowing gore could potentially be allowed if they implemented a tagging system. I’m no programmer but I used to take programming classes and my brother graduated with a game design degree, and after some consideration here’s what I think.

Obviously as stated earlier FR doesn’t store images for each dragon. Not only would the server space needed be incredibly high, it just wouldn’t make sense. Flight Rising stores things in layers - generating each image one at a time as the page loads, so ex. If you had a dragon with no clothes it would only need to generate the image of the dragon, but if you equipped a flower crown, it wouldn’t still be 1 image - it would generate the dragon, and then the flower crown. It’s the same with skins.

Obviously adding a tagging system would be difficult due to the amount of skins on the site. So, here’s the idea.

Sensitive content filter for the whole site.

This would allow the devs to be free with plague again, and people could simply toggle the sensitive content off if they didn’t want to see it, threads could be marked as sensitive content if you want to have a war related piece of lore with violence posted to the forums, and of course, skins could be tagged this way.

There was a site that datamined flight rising before the game database’s release that had all the apparel filtered into the categories we know, and of course we found out that flight riding does indeed have a tagging system for these pieces of apparel, based on the colors featured, fest, whether or not it’s in your hoard, placement, etc.

Of course, there is the difficult part of a tagging system - letting players create their own tags and tag their skins wouldn’t work as each separate tag would be stored as data in the server and when you can make new tags at any given point for any reason you can see how this is an issue.

i do have a solution but first I want to point out the elephant in the room - fr actually has a tagging system for skins, just not for the reasons you think. Ever noticed how you could sort the skins by breed, gender, and colors? That’s thanks to a tagging system. So we do know that this system does actually exist, which makes things easier on the devs.

But of course, my solution is to have 2 tags. These 2 would generally cover everything needed and then you can just sort by colors and breed to find skins you like theme-wise.
The tags would be Blood, and Gore.
Blood is just for blood. Small wounds, blood splatters, etc.
Gore is for the raunchy stuff. Let the artists express themselves!

Artists would be able to submit a skin and when it gets approved, part of the approval process would simply be adding it to the tag the devs see fit, which would eliminate a lot of rejections.

I wouldn’t let players manually do it as people could abuse this to submit violent skins and not put a content warning on it.

In your general settings you could have a toggle for what you want to turn off, so if you don’t want gore but are cool with blood/etc, you could just toggle only gore off, and for >16 year old players that option could be revoked and it would automatically turn it off with no way to turn it on until they turn 16.

It would be probably relatively easy to add this tag system since we know one already exists, and then new submissions could be tagged while mods go back and tag anything else.

The filter would work that it would just hide these results from your searches in the game database, and if a dragon was posted in a forum with a really raunchy skin and you had it turned off, the dragon’s skin wouldn’t need to be loaded. If someone posted a skin by using [item= , it wouldn’t show up for you as if it was simply misspelled or something.

TLDR: tag system explained and solution
[quote name="Beeff" date="2021-07-26 20:43:39" ] [quote name="lostcrow" date="2021-07-26 20:16:51" ] Update [item=skin: rukkehrunruhe] Thank Noodledad… oh my god.. [/quote] Congrats!! The skin finally got a hold of some wing deodorant /j [/quote] Too stinky for FR, we have kids on here!! How dare u make smelly dragon armpits!
Beeff wrote on 2021-07-26 20:43:39:
Update

Congrats!!

The skin finally got a hold of some wing deodorant /j

Too stinky for FR, we have kids on here!! How dare u make smelly dragon armpits!
Oh, I just remembered and @/lostcrow's post reminded me. Regarding the whole PG13 argument, I actually recently watched a PG13 movie (Red Riding Hood; the 2011 one I think). For anyone that has not watched that movie, there is blood splatter, impaling, people being shot, and - the most gory of all - someone had their hand cut off and on full display. It was gory, but not "blood and guts" gory if you know what I mean.

Point is if that can get into a PG13 movie as one of the more current examples (and, hoo boy, you don't want to see some of the older examples because if you think this is bad... go look at old PG13 movies), then surely FR can allow these skins. Hell, the old skins shown here actually fall under that same level of gore still, which does make them perfectly acceptable for a PG13 site under current standards.

I do think lostcrow's suggestion is a good one, though I don't think the increased age rating would be necessary (I think T is the next rating up because it's definitely not MA?) for reasons I stated above unless you're thinking taking things to another level.
Oh, I just remembered and @/lostcrow's post reminded me. Regarding the whole PG13 argument, I actually recently watched a PG13 movie (Red Riding Hood; the 2011 one I think). For anyone that has not watched that movie, there is blood splatter, impaling, people being shot, and - the most gory of all - someone had their hand cut off and on full display. It was gory, but not "blood and guts" gory if you know what I mean.

Point is if that can get into a PG13 movie as one of the more current examples (and, hoo boy, you don't want to see some of the older examples because if you think this is bad... go look at old PG13 movies), then surely FR can allow these skins. Hell, the old skins shown here actually fall under that same level of gore still, which does make them perfectly acceptable for a PG13 site under current standards.

I do think lostcrow's suggestion is a good one, though I don't think the increased age rating would be necessary (I think T is the next rating up because it's definitely not MA?) for reasons I stated above unless you're thinking taking things to another level.
[center]This suggestion has my full support! I feel that guidelines should definetly be made more clear and if anything the current system should be relaxed as well I've seen far worse injuries in PG-13 games and films so to see a red "/" getting denied for "massive suffering" is ridiculous really A friend of mine just sent off this accent to get approved and after reading through this thread I'm kind of worried about it being denied ;-; [img]https://imgur.com/WFKrrnS.png[/img]
This suggestion has my full support! I feel that guidelines should definetly be made more clear and if anything the current system should be relaxed as well I've seen far worse injuries in PG-13 games and films so to see a red "/" getting denied for "massive suffering" is ridiculous really

A friend of mine just sent off this accent to get approved and after reading through this thread I'm kind of worried about it being denied ;-;

WFKrrnS.png
seGmw74.jpg
[quote name="lostcrow" date="2021-07-26 20:16:51" ] Update [item=skin: rukkehrunruhe] Thank Noodledad… oh my god.. [/quote] Love to see it On the ratings discussion I don't think fr needs to up its rating. T/13+ is usually where simple gore starts showing up. (And as I've said many times in this thread now, I've seen childrens shows with visual content that wouldn't pass skin moderation). Usually as far as I know the 16+ rating is used to start introducing adult content which I neither want nor need here. I also don't horribly mind that we don't have super heavy gore on fr, I just need clearer lines because I do not... I do not understand what is allowed here, between everything I've seen uploaded and had uploaded and been denied so far I have no idea what the line is. I just want to know where the line is! They're really selling us a product without telling us its limitations.
Update

Love to see it

On the ratings discussion I don't think fr needs to up its rating. T/13+ is usually where simple gore starts showing up. (And as I've said many times in this thread now, I've seen childrens shows with visual content that wouldn't pass skin moderation). Usually as far as I know the 16+ rating is used to start introducing adult content which I neither want nor need here.

I also don't horribly mind that we don't have super heavy gore on fr, I just need clearer lines because I do not... I do not understand what is allowed here, between everything I've seen uploaded and had uploaded and been denied so far I have no idea what the line is.

I just want to know where the line is! They're really selling us a product without telling us its limitations.
AbwaPSg.png
xxxxx xrdZoYH.pngOxagJgG.pngmxZJBlR.png
Q0p4QGz.png1j2YGao.pngLvsm6NG.png
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
dEo6ta2.png
nWiQNX9.png
@hotpants That's a fun looking accent, one I'd be investing in if I had a dragon that it'd look good on. Please ask your friend if they would be okay with keeping us posted on whether it gets approved or rejected and the reason given if it gets rejected.

I feel like having more documented incidences of how arbitrary the rules are will really help newcomers to the thread understand the context of the situation being about how arbitrary and changing the (unwritten!) rules are for skins and accents and not that it's just about people wanting gore and violence.

The more stories like lostcrow's that we can get the stronger the point this thread is trying to make grows.
@hotpants That's a fun looking accent, one I'd be investing in if I had a dragon that it'd look good on. Please ask your friend if they would be okay with keeping us posted on whether it gets approved or rejected and the reason given if it gets rejected.

I feel like having more documented incidences of how arbitrary the rules are will really help newcomers to the thread understand the context of the situation being about how arbitrary and changing the (unwritten!) rules are for skins and accents and not that it's just about people wanting gore and violence.

The more stories like lostcrow's that we can get the stronger the point this thread is trying to make grows.
@Teeka

I think it's a neat accent too, I loved it so much that I scryed up a whole new plan just to match it :] And i'll keep you up to date depending on what happens, though i'll ask the artist for permission of course
@Teeka

I think it's a neat accent too, I loved it so much that I scryed up a whole new plan just to match it :] And i'll keep you up to date depending on what happens, though i'll ask the artist for permission of course
seGmw74.jpg
Full support.
I make accents myself and I was actually thinking of making a nice Plague kind of themed accent, but after reading this thread? Looks like my idea would just go straight to the trash, all that hard work gone and apparently unacceptable. I feel restricted to what I can be creative with, apparently you can't use red for anything. I have a skin that has many, many, spikes protruding from the dragon, which can be percieved as suffering. Yet it still got accepted. It's honestly sad to see a simple red spot get rejected yet painful spikes are accepted? Like, GOD, this is a pg13 game, no 6 year olds are going to come on here and see it.
Full support.
I make accents myself and I was actually thinking of making a nice Plague kind of themed accent, but after reading this thread? Looks like my idea would just go straight to the trash, all that hard work gone and apparently unacceptable. I feel restricted to what I can be creative with, apparently you can't use red for anything. I have a skin that has many, many, spikes protruding from the dragon, which can be percieved as suffering. Yet it still got accepted. It's honestly sad to see a simple red spot get rejected yet painful spikes are accepted? Like, GOD, this is a pg13 game, no 6 year olds are going to come on here and see it.
stagsig1.png aaa
aaa
» Autistic
» Dyslexic
» Wishlist
» Art Shop
» Accent Shop
» Ecifircas Pinglist
1 2 ... 59 60 61 62 63 ... 81 82