Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Cut skin/accent makers slack.
1 2 ... 58 59 60 61 62 ... 81 82
reading lostcrow's saga is infuriating. Whatever content guide, if any, staff is using - they need to loosen it up and make it available to users. It's like users can't even touch the colour red or adjacent colours.
reading lostcrow's saga is infuriating. Whatever content guide, if any, staff is using - they need to loosen it up and make it available to users. It's like users can't even touch the colour red or adjacent colours.
support! i don't get why skins featuring body horror and nasty green boils are fine, but the instant you pull out the blood spatter it's suddenly not ok. how is that not also counted as depicting the suffering of dragons? it's an absurd double standard.

either ban all of it and effectively kill riot of rot, or loosen up a bit
support! i don't get why skins featuring body horror and nasty green boils are fine, but the instant you pull out the blood spatter it's suddenly not ok. how is that not also counted as depicting the suffering of dragons? it's an absurd double standard.

either ban all of it and effectively kill riot of rot, or loosen up a bit
Currently Seeking dragons for
PROJECT: OVERKILL

god help me
There's nothing I can add to the conversation that hasn't already been said, but I agree with everyone else on the front that skin/accent makers need to be given a bit more freedom given canon on-site content. Why even make Plague at all if you were going to have such strict rules on dragons who appear to be suffering? Why create bloody bandage decor and the like if you won't allow skin/accent makers the same freedom? After looking at Artfight's maturity guide, I think that's exactly what Flight Rising needs in addition to just lightening up a bit. If people are truly that upset by a bit of blood or other uncomfortable-looking things, they shouldn't really be playing a game where there's an entire Flight dedicated to looking gross and grody, which sounds a bit harsh, but it feels wrong to rob an entire Flight (the third largest Flight in the game, if I got my numbers right) of their entire aesthetic just because it makes a couple people uncomfortable when there's already worse stuff on the site made by the art team.
There's nothing I can add to the conversation that hasn't already been said, but I agree with everyone else on the front that skin/accent makers need to be given a bit more freedom given canon on-site content. Why even make Plague at all if you were going to have such strict rules on dragons who appear to be suffering? Why create bloody bandage decor and the like if you won't allow skin/accent makers the same freedom? After looking at Artfight's maturity guide, I think that's exactly what Flight Rising needs in addition to just lightening up a bit. If people are truly that upset by a bit of blood or other uncomfortable-looking things, they shouldn't really be playing a game where there's an entire Flight dedicated to looking gross and grody, which sounds a bit harsh, but it feels wrong to rob an entire Flight (the third largest Flight in the game, if I got my numbers right) of their entire aesthetic just because it makes a couple people uncomfortable when there's already worse stuff on the site made by the art team.
[quote name="Katharos" date="2021-07-26 12:44:40" ] [quote name="Shinyumbreon" date="2021-07-25 06:56:50" ] [quote name="StellarBlitz" date="2021-05-20 11:20:47" ] Support. Something like Artfight's maturity guide, which goes over body horror and gore with pictorial examples would be a great resource for skin/accent creators. [/quote] This would be amazing, having clear cut (no pun intended) rules and examples given on what’s ok and what’s not. Alternatively, have a special tag the skin/accent mods can put on accents and skins. It could be called “moderated skins” or something. Basically any skin that is deemed too “gory” or “bloody” but is still within FRs rules/lore guidelines* can get that tag slapped on it. Possibly noted by a small symbol in the info box. Every user would have a toggle in their account settings on whether or not they want to see these tagged skins/accents. Maybe even tiered tags. Mild, and moderate. Anyone who doesn’t want to see them wouldn’t, and the users who want these types of skins can have them. *friendly reminder that we have a story of a monstrous beast crunching down on living dragons as well as dragons being [i]impaled[/i] in canon lore. [/quote] Honestly best suggestion right here, even if something like this doesn't get implemented at least the staff can be more transparent about what they do and don't want. [/quote] I fully support tagging skins. I think it would help a lot, and as outlined above, players could control what they do or don't see, so players who do like blood and scars could actually get them and plague could have it's proper aesthetic. Tagging skins and accents would also help with other things, such as phobias or religion or national pride or symbols or whatever. Religion or lack thereof is a major part of many people's identities, and FR prohibiting talk about it is like saying it's inappropriate and shameful. If people are showing respect to an area of their identities (whether that's religion or nationality or disability or sexuality or whatever), they should be able to support it. And tags would mean those who don't want to see it wouldn't. (Images would load without the skin layer, and since FR's dragon images are compiled by layers, this should be feasible to implement). The same system could then be expanded to genes and apparel, and I think FR and the playerbase would benefit all around.
Katharos wrote on 2021-07-26 12:44:40:
Shinyumbreon wrote on 2021-07-25 06:56:50:
StellarBlitz wrote on 2021-05-20 11:20:47:
Support. Something like Artfight's maturity guide, which goes over body horror and gore with pictorial examples would be a great resource for skin/accent creators.
This would be amazing, having clear cut (no pun intended) rules and examples given on what’s ok and what’s not.

Alternatively, have a special tag the skin/accent mods can put on accents and skins. It could be called “moderated skins” or something.
Basically any skin that is deemed too “gory” or “bloody” but is still within FRs rules/lore guidelines* can get that tag slapped on it. Possibly noted by a small symbol in the info box. Every user would have a toggle in their account settings on whether or not they want to see these tagged skins/accents.
Maybe even tiered tags. Mild, and moderate.
Anyone who doesn’t want to see them wouldn’t, and the users who want these types of skins can have them.

*friendly reminder that we have a story of a monstrous beast crunching down on living dragons as well as dragons being impaled in canon lore.

Honestly best suggestion right here, even if something like this doesn't get implemented at least the staff can be more transparent about what they do and don't want.
I fully support tagging skins. I think it would help a lot, and as outlined above, players could control what they do or don't see, so players who do like blood and scars could actually get them and plague could have it's proper aesthetic.

Tagging skins and accents would also help with other things, such as phobias or religion or national pride or symbols or whatever. Religion or lack thereof is a major part of many people's identities, and FR prohibiting talk about it is like saying it's inappropriate and shameful. If people are showing respect to an area of their identities (whether that's religion or nationality or disability or sexuality or whatever), they should be able to support it. And tags would mean those who don't want to see it wouldn't. (Images would load without the skin layer, and since FR's dragon images are compiled by layers, this should be feasible to implement). The same system could then be expanded to genes and apparel, and I think FR and the playerbase would benefit all around.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
[quote name="gemajgall" date="2021-07-26 13:38:10" ] (Images would load without the skin layer, and since FR's dragon images are compiled by layers, this should be feasible to implement) [/quote] I don't think this is actually the case when the item is applied since the URL for the image itself for [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/66493081]one of my dragons[/url] shows as this even with the skin and apparel on. [code] https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/664931/66493081_350.png?mtime=ZYN-SYkqCMA [/code] They would need to change the way these images generate. Neither of the numbers displayed in the URL are the skin ID either, so it's not stacking. I'm not saying a tagging system wouldn't help users, but it wouldn't be that simple since they would need to change the image generation. I think they'd have to set the skin itself to display as if not being applied, which I have no idea if that's complicated.
gemajgall wrote on 2021-07-26 13:38:10:
(Images would load without the skin layer, and since FR's dragon images are compiled by layers, this should be feasible to implement)

I don't think this is actually the case when the item is applied since the URL for the image itself for one of my dragons shows as this even with the skin and apparel on.
Code:
https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/664931/66493081_350.png?mtime=ZYN-SYkqCMA

They would need to change the way these images generate. Neither of the numbers displayed in the URL are the skin ID either, so it's not stacking. I'm not saying a tagging system wouldn't help users, but it wouldn't be that simple since they would need to change the image generation. I think they'd have to set the skin itself to display as if not being applied, which I have no idea if that's complicated.
Reading through this thread, I'm honestly appalled at how unprofessional the devs are being with these submissions. I'm not a fan of Plague nor the aesthetic, but being given vague and nonspecific guidelines and then shooting down skins that comply with them is awfully unfair and no artist deserves that.

I completely understand the need for standards and rules, as children use the site from many different countries with different cultures and laws. I have 0 issues with clearly defined rules. However, this is not a happy medium at all. How things are now is the equivalent of flipping the bird at the very same people that give you money and revenue, and just expecting them to comply.

Why can't there be at least some rudimentary tagging/filtering/blocking system with skins and accents? Why can't there be actual guidelines on what is and what is not allowed? I fully support this 6 year old post about staff needing to be actually transparent and consistent as to what is and is not allowed, along with more realistic rules for accents/skins. What a mess.
Reading through this thread, I'm honestly appalled at how unprofessional the devs are being with these submissions. I'm not a fan of Plague nor the aesthetic, but being given vague and nonspecific guidelines and then shooting down skins that comply with them is awfully unfair and no artist deserves that.

I completely understand the need for standards and rules, as children use the site from many different countries with different cultures and laws. I have 0 issues with clearly defined rules. However, this is not a happy medium at all. How things are now is the equivalent of flipping the bird at the very same people that give you money and revenue, and just expecting them to comply.

Why can't there be at least some rudimentary tagging/filtering/blocking system with skins and accents? Why can't there be actual guidelines on what is and what is not allowed? I fully support this 6 year old post about staff needing to be actually transparent and consistent as to what is and is not allowed, along with more realistic rules for accents/skins. What a mess.
Check out my YCH thread HERE!

591.png
[quote name="Lykos" date="2021-07-26 14:01:25" ] [quote name="gemajgall" date="2021-07-26 13:38:10" ] (Images would load without the skin layer, and since FR's dragon images are compiled by layers, this should be feasible to implement) [/quote] I don't think this is actually the case when the item is applied since the URL for the image itself for [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/66493081]one of my dragons[/url] shows as this even with the skin and apparel on. [code] https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/664931/66493081_350.png?mtime=ZYN-SYkqCMA [/code] They would need to change the way these images generate. Neither of the numbers displayed in the URL are the skin ID either, so it's not stacking. I'm not saying a tagging system wouldn't help users, but it wouldn't be that simple since they would need to change the image generation. I think they'd have to set the skin itself to display as if not being applied, which I have no idea if that's complicated. [/quote] I also have no idea how FR's images are generated, but it's clear it's by layers. As far as I know, they don't store individual, real time images for all seventy-one million and counting dragons, images that are updated every time apparel is added or taken away. At some point on the backend are layering and generating. As far as I know, this would be feasible to change--at least easier than had all the images been hardcoded. But whether that's one afternoon of work or several weeks, I don't know.
Lykos wrote on 2021-07-26 14:01:25:
gemajgall wrote on 2021-07-26 13:38:10:
(Images would load without the skin layer, and since FR's dragon images are compiled by layers, this should be feasible to implement)

I don't think this is actually the case when the item is applied since the URL for the image itself for one of my dragons shows as this even with the skin and apparel on.
Code:
https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/664931/66493081_350.png?mtime=ZYN-SYkqCMA

They would need to change the way these images generate. Neither of the numbers displayed in the URL are the skin ID either, so it's not stacking. I'm not saying a tagging system wouldn't help users, but it wouldn't be that simple since they would need to change the image generation. I think they'd have to set the skin itself to display as if not being applied, which I have no idea if that's complicated.

I also have no idea how FR's images are generated, but it's clear it's by layers. As far as I know, they don't store individual, real time images for all seventy-one million and counting dragons, images that are updated every time apparel is added or taken away. At some point on the backend are layering and generating. As far as I know, this would be feasible to change--at least easier than had all the images been hardcoded. But whether that's one afternoon of work or several weeks, I don't know.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
Update [item=skin: rukkehrunruhe] Thank Noodledad… oh my god..
Update
Skin: rukkehrunruhe

Thank Noodledad… oh my god..
Ego - 18 - She/Her - thanks for playing with me all these years!
I feel like documenting how much nonsense lostcrow had to go through for this skin is worth doing, so I left a comment on the Game Database entry for it with what I think is a fair comment describing the issue and a link to her first post in this thread on the topic. Let's not flood the Game Database entry with comments about it since that's not what it's for, but man if her experience wasn't a symptom of how wonky this whole issue is, and if nothing else I feel it is relevant trivia about the skin. The comment I left was: [quote=SparkyLurkdragon]This skin had a protracted number of submissions, rejections, and resubmissions for acceptance to the site, which some players feel is a symptom of poorly-communicated and arbitrary rules for player-submitted skins as of July 2021. The iterations are documented in this topic, starting from this post: https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/1550818/53#post_47845759[/quote]
I feel like documenting how much nonsense lostcrow had to go through for this skin is worth doing, so I left a comment on the Game Database entry for it with what I think is a fair comment describing the issue and a link to her first post in this thread on the topic.

Let's not flood the Game Database entry with comments about it since that's not what it's for, but man if her experience wasn't a symptom of how wonky this whole issue is, and if nothing else I feel it is relevant trivia about the skin.

The comment I left was:
SparkyLurkdragon wrote:
This skin had a protracted number of submissions, rejections, and resubmissions for acceptance to the site, which some players feel is a symptom of poorly-communicated and arbitrary rules for player-submitted skins as of July 2021. The iterations are documented in this topic, starting from this post: https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/1550818/53#post_47845759
jtgoRWq.png
[quote name="lostcrow" date="2021-07-26 20:16:51" ] Update [item=skin: rukkehrunruhe] Thank Noodledad… oh my god.. [/quote] Congrats!! The skin finally got a hold of some wing deodorant /j
lostcrow wrote on 2021-07-26 20:16:51:
Update
Skin: rukkehrunruhe

Thank Noodledad… oh my god..

Congrats!!

The skin finally got a hold of some wing deodorant /j
1 2 ... 58 59 60 61 62 ... 81 82