Back

Skins and Accents

Share and sell your skin creations with other players.
TOPIC | Skin Artists Help and Discussion Thread!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13
Great resource, thanks for setting this up!

I've always wondered: we can tint the shadow layers and i've almost always done this with my accents but in one color only. I'd like to know if it's possible to tint the shadow layers in different shades? i.e.: shade of yellow for yellow parts and then green for green parts.

I know you could paint the lineart in different colors but i've never experimented much with the shadow layer before. If anyone's done this before and had their skin accepted then please let me know, thanks!
OK apparently you CAN tint the shadow layer in different colors! (i.e.: parts of it are blue and parts of it are yellow or something like that)

Also uh I guess I can also share psds with people who ask. (Most of them are messy and all around the place though lol) Just let me know! :3
Great resource, thanks for setting this up!

I've always wondered: we can tint the shadow layers and i've almost always done this with my accents but in one color only. I'd like to know if it's possible to tint the shadow layers in different shades? i.e.: shade of yellow for yellow parts and then green for green parts.

I know you could paint the lineart in different colors but i've never experimented much with the shadow layer before. If anyone's done this before and had their skin accepted then please let me know, thanks!
OK apparently you CAN tint the shadow layer in different colors! (i.e.: parts of it are blue and parts of it are yellow or something like that)

Also uh I guess I can also share psds with people who ask. (Most of them are messy and all around the place though lol) Just let me know! :3
1ffgBbR.png
@Kanamine
Thank you so much! That is exactly the tutorial I was talking about. And I can add the PSD to the OP.

@TomSuke
Huh, sounds interesting. Now that there's on-site previews, I can't see it being as useful though.

@Kent
That's really helpful; adding it to the OP. However, how exactly do you do that? I'm a complete newb to layers/clips/masks, so the only clips (?) that I have are the lines/shadows to the "accent goes here" layer.
@Kanamine
Thank you so much! That is exactly the tutorial I was talking about. And I can add the PSD to the OP.

@TomSuke
Huh, sounds interesting. Now that there's on-site previews, I can't see it being as useful though.

@Kent
That's really helpful; adding it to the OP. However, how exactly do you do that? I'm a complete newb to layers/clips/masks, so the only clips (?) that I have are the lines/shadows to the "accent goes here" layer.
bsOo7ST.gifwe_rode_on_the_winds_of_the_rising_storm_by_c_yang-d68stu4.gif
595bwIn.png
@Labcoat Oh, sorry! Okay, let me see if I can whip up a quick tutorial on masking and clipping. [u][b]KENT'S SUPER QUICK TUTORIAL ON MASKING AND CLIPPING[/b][/u] Okay, so you've got the layer you're drawing on, right. [img]http://i.imgur.com/QmVacQx.png[/img] If you select that layer, and then click on the little icon at the bottom of the layer window that looks like the flag of Japan, you will create a [b]layer mask[/b] for that layer. [img]http://i.imgur.com/S908Aq1.png[/img] It looks like a white box linked to the actual layer, and it doesn't appear to have done anything. BUT: if you draw on the layer mask (which is monochrome, i.e., it only allows you to draw on it in black and white and any shades of grey in between), anything in BLACK will become TRANSPARENT on that layer, and anything in WHITE will be VISIBLE. Shades of grey create partial transparency! So THIS: [img]http://i.imgur.com/1S2qL3E.png[/img] (I drew a happy face on the layer mask if you're having trouble seeing it) Yields THIS: [img]http://i.imgur.com/g2niMYy.png[/img] "ok, that's great, but why would I ever want to do that," I hear you ask. Well, lots of reasons! Masking can make your life easier in a lot of different ways. For one thing, it allows you to "erase" things without actually erasing them, so you can get rid of an element on a layer (by painting over it with black on your layer mask), and then bring it back later completely intact if you change your mind (by painting over that bit on the layer mask again with white). It also allows you to stay inside the lines if you only want to paint over a certain shape on the canvas in that layer. For example, let's say I want to make an accent where just the wings and mane on this tundra are red. [img]http://i.imgur.com/GnHOzYQ.png[/img] Well, I can select the shape of the wings & mane from inside the "Skin Parts" folder: [img]http://i.imgur.com/qQPXWQU.png[/img] (you can select every pixel on a layer by just control-clicking on that layer) then select the red layer, and hit the layer mask button. The mask: [img]http://i.imgur.com/x5Y1oWs.png[/img] And the effect: [img]http://i.imgur.com/TuaBkjV.png[/img] And no matter how much drawing I do on that red layer, or how sloppy I get (pretty sloppy sometimes tbh), nothing I draw will be visible outside the mask! The proper terminology is that it has been "masked out": the mask has blocked it out of the picture. You can also apply one mask to an entire GROUP of layers (a bunch of layers in one folder), by selecting the group folder and then clicking the mask button. You can use this to put your entire project in one big folder, and then create a mask that is the base shape of the dragon, to make sure your accent never goes 'over the lines.' Okay, but now what if you want to use [i]another layer[/i] as your layer mask? Say, you want to draw the shape of a tattoo on one layer, and then add details on the layer above it...but you want to be able to keep adding to and changing the tattoo layer as you go. Well, in that case, you would [b]clip[/b] the detail layer to the tattoo layer, which creates a [b]clipping mask.[/b] As an example: The "Clip Shadows" and "Clip Lines" layers that come in every FR template are clipped to the "Your Accent Goes Here" layer! So when you draw on that layer, whatever you draw becomes the shape of the mask being applied to "Clip Shadows" and "Clip Lines." So how do you make your own clipping masks? Well, here's my tattoo: [img]http://i.imgur.com/GcOecZy.png[/img] (awful tattoo, 0/10) Then on the layer above it, I've drawn a ton of SPARKLES because this tattoo needs some RAZZLE DAZZLE. [img]http://i.imgur.com/tYuoG32.png[/img] Now what I'm going to do is hold down the ALT button, and click on the line BETWEEN these two layers. So this: [img]http://i.imgur.com/Gv7ryVZ.png[/img] Becomes this: [img]http://i.imgur.com/YItI9VV.png[/img] And our image becomes this! [img]http://i.imgur.com/2qBvcBQ.png[/img] This is still an awful tattoo, but you get the idea. Just like how you can apply layer masks to entire groups of layers, you can also apply clipping masks to entire groups of layers the same way. Just put all the layers you want to act as the mask inside the group folder, then 'clip' (by alt-clicking the line between them) the layers you want to be affected by that mask above them. I hope this has been helpful!
@Labcoat Oh, sorry! Okay, let me see if I can whip up a quick tutorial on masking and clipping.

KENT'S SUPER QUICK TUTORIAL ON MASKING AND CLIPPING

Okay, so you've got the layer you're drawing on, right.

QmVacQx.png

If you select that layer, and then click on the little icon at the bottom of the layer window that looks like the flag of Japan, you will create a layer mask for that layer.

S908Aq1.png

It looks like a white box linked to the actual layer, and it doesn't appear to have done anything.

BUT: if you draw on the layer mask (which is monochrome, i.e., it only allows you to draw on it in black and white and any shades of grey in between), anything in BLACK will become TRANSPARENT on that layer, and anything in WHITE will be VISIBLE. Shades of grey create partial transparency!

So THIS:

1S2qL3E.png

(I drew a happy face on the layer mask if you're having trouble seeing it)

Yields THIS:

g2niMYy.png

"ok, that's great, but why would I ever want to do that," I hear you ask.

Well, lots of reasons! Masking can make your life easier in a lot of different ways. For one thing, it allows you to "erase" things without actually erasing them, so you can get rid of an element on a layer (by painting over it with black on your layer mask), and then bring it back later completely intact if you change your mind (by painting over that bit on the layer mask again with white).

It also allows you to stay inside the lines if you only want to paint over a certain shape on the canvas in that layer. For example, let's say I want to make an accent where just the wings and mane on this tundra are red.

GnHOzYQ.png

Well, I can select the shape of the wings & mane from inside the "Skin Parts" folder:

qQPXWQU.png

(you can select every pixel on a layer by just control-clicking on that layer)

then select the red layer, and hit the layer mask button.

The mask:
x5Y1oWs.png

And the effect:
TuaBkjV.png

And no matter how much drawing I do on that red layer, or how sloppy I get (pretty sloppy sometimes tbh), nothing I draw will be visible outside the mask! The proper terminology is that it has been "masked out": the mask has blocked it out of the picture.

You can also apply one mask to an entire GROUP of layers (a bunch of layers in one folder), by selecting the group folder and then clicking the mask button. You can use this to put your entire project in one big folder, and then create a mask that is the base shape of the dragon, to make sure your accent never goes 'over the lines.'

Okay, but now what if you want to use another layer as your layer mask? Say, you want to draw the shape of a tattoo on one layer, and then add details on the layer above it...but you want to be able to keep adding to and changing the tattoo layer as you go.

Well, in that case, you would clip the detail layer to the tattoo layer, which creates a clipping mask. As an example: The "Clip Shadows" and "Clip Lines" layers that come in every FR template are clipped to the "Your Accent Goes Here" layer! So when you draw on that layer, whatever you draw becomes the shape of the mask being applied to "Clip Shadows" and "Clip Lines."

So how do you make your own clipping masks?

Well, here's my tattoo:
GcOecZy.png

(awful tattoo, 0/10)

Then on the layer above it, I've drawn a ton of SPARKLES because this tattoo needs some RAZZLE DAZZLE.

tYuoG32.png

Now what I'm going to do is hold down the ALT button, and click on the line BETWEEN these two layers.

So this:
Gv7ryVZ.png

Becomes this:
YItI9VV.png

And our image becomes this!
2qBvcBQ.png

This is still an awful tattoo, but you get the idea.

Just like how you can apply layer masks to entire groups of layers, you can also apply clipping masks to entire groups of layers the same way. Just put all the layers you want to act as the mask inside the group folder, then 'clip' (by alt-clicking the line between them) the layers you want to be affected by that mask above them.

I hope this has been helpful!
Kent's Accents - tumblr
Also I finished the accent I was working on at the top of page 3! [img]http://i.imgur.com/aGHOkWO.png[/img] Does anyone else spend most of the time they're drawing metal not feeling entirely convinced you still know how to draw metal, until it all comes together in that, like, last 10%? >_> This one is done, but if anyone has any tips or suggestions for how I could do something like this better next time, I'd love to hear them!
Also I finished the accent I was working on at the top of page 3!

aGHOkWO.png

Does anyone else spend most of the time they're drawing metal not feeling entirely convinced you still know how to draw metal, until it all comes together in that, like, last 10%? >_>

This one is done, but if anyone has any tips or suggestions for how I could do something like this better next time, I'd love to hear them!
Kent's Accents - tumblr
@Kent what version of photoshop are you using? Because I don't think I ever managed to attach the clipping masks to a folder. Would save me so much work. :(
@Kent what version of photoshop are you using? Because I don't think I ever managed to attach the clipping masks to a folder. Would save me so much work. :(
@Twelvewishes I'm using Photoshop CS6.
@Twelvewishes I'm using Photoshop CS6.
Kent's Accents - tumblr
@Kent lol I had that version as well but forgot it was there because I was using CS5 because I was more used to it. I'm such a slow poke :P
@Kent lol I had that version as well but forgot it was there because I was using CS5 because I was more used to it. I'm such a slow poke :P
@Twelvewishes Yeah, I put off upgrading for LITERAL YEARS because I was so attached to my old version. XD I ended up doing it for...some reason? BRUSHES. the pressure and tilt options on brushes are sooo much more sophisticated now, sob sob hugs brushes to bosom while gazing up at the moonlight
@Twelvewishes Yeah, I put off upgrading for LITERAL YEARS because I was so attached to my old version. XD I ended up doing it for...some reason? BRUSHES. the pressure and tilt options on brushes are sooo much more sophisticated now, sob sob hugs brushes to bosom while gazing up at the moonlight
Kent's Accents - tumblr
@Labcoat

This Thread Is
3000mil % THUMBS UP
DOUBLEPLUSGOOD

Seriously, I've been hoping someone would make something like this for ages! I'm not an artist myself, though mostly because I have no way to practice since I only own microsoft paint x_x lol. But I'd love to be able to fiddle around with accent making and at least create a few really simple accents for some of my own dragons, so I'll definitely be poking around the links provided and following the discussions here -- Thank you again for setting this up! :D

edit: because pinging myself @Abderus

@Labcoat

This Thread Is
3000mil % THUMBS UP
DOUBLEPLUSGOOD

Seriously, I've been hoping someone would make something like this for ages! I'm not an artist myself, though mostly because I have no way to practice since I only own microsoft paint x_x lol. But I'd love to be able to fiddle around with accent making and at least create a few really simple accents for some of my own dragons, so I'll definitely be poking around the links provided and following the discussions here -- Thank you again for setting this up! :D

edit: because pinging myself @Abderus

rqoyImq.gif

Note: I often mis-type words with similar sounds (ex: Handful and Handle) or words that start the same (away and aware). I also leave out words like 'then,' 'with,' 'that,' a lot. I proofread carefully but my brain usually skips over these mistakes. My apologies if I posted jibberish on your thread! Feel free to ask for clarification! I swear I make sense. For the most part. ;D
@Kent
haha, i've been considering upgrading my version of photoshop just for the ability to clip layers to groups. that is, like... the thing i miss most from SAI. (cries whilst duplicating the shadows/lineart layers for each seperate layer of accent-ness)

in other news, this is a really great thread! it's definitely nice to have somewhere i can throw wips around and ask for crits, having an extra pair of eyes always helps :D
@Kent
haha, i've been considering upgrading my version of photoshop just for the ability to clip layers to groups. that is, like... the thing i miss most from SAI. (cries whilst duplicating the shadows/lineart layers for each seperate layer of accent-ness)

in other news, this is a really great thread! it's definitely nice to have somewhere i can throw wips around and ask for crits, having an extra pair of eyes always helps :D
XfL644W.png
WhPZGJa.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13