Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | The Tooth vs. Nail Coliseum Challenge
1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
hmmmMMmmmm maybe i should start one of those again, thanks for updating the rules :eyes:
hmmmMMmmmm maybe i should start one of those again, thanks for updating the rules :eyes:
itpCHya.png
i heard there was a place where the light
managed to cut through the dark
but that was just a story for children
and my chest is just a grave for my heart

jubi p. lizardperson
it/its or they/them
@ilimati Oohoohoo, please ping me if you go for it!! I hope to make a bonus post today (FRT) for Ancient Breeds, so stay tuned! c:
@ilimati Oohoohoo, please ping me if you go for it!! I hope to make a bonus post today (FRT) for Ancient Breeds, so stay tuned! c:
Oh no. It's back. Just when I'm thinking I need a new challenge....
Oh no. It's back. Just when I'm thinking I need a new challenge....
qXSwF3U.png233SM6q.png Jay (she/her)

Tortoiseshell Tea Haus (a hatchery)
The Foxfire Fortune Clan (a biolocke)

The Melting Pot
Baldwin Manufacturing Plant
@Jaspernoir Let me know if you happen to start one. [emoji=guardian winking size=1] I'd love to follow it! ----- Also, in more general news, I would like to use this post to introduce the [b]Ancient Adjustments[/b] optional ruleset! In a vanilla TvN, only modern dragons are used because of their ability to breed with one another. However, this version adds Ancient dragons into the mix and gives them a special ruleset! [b][u]Acquiring Ancient Dragons:[/b][/u] As a general rule, all starting dragons should still be modern breeds. If you want to start with ancients, then each faction must begin with [b]one[/b] ancient in a faction-appropriate element and the rest of the dragons should stay modern. Of course, randomize the element and breed of the ancient for each to keep things unbiased! Once the challenge is underway, ancients can be rolled in the event of new dragons joining via familiar drops, the effects of Rally, or other similar circumstances! When playing with Ancient Adjustments and you're off to acquire one or more new dragons, roll 1d10: [LIST] [*]On a result of 1-9, adopt a modern breed like usual. [*]On a result of 10, you can get an ancient dragon! They can be of any relevant breed and should be picked in a random fashion similar to how you'd usually pick one. [i]However, unlike a normal party dragon, their element should be left fully random.[/i] Ancients do not believe in your war's paltry divisions! [/LIST] [b][u]Ancient Dragon Functionality:[/b][/u] For the most part, an ancient dragon will function like a normal faction member. However, they're more closely tied with the wild nature of their element than their modern cousins, and as a result can become... unruly. At the start of every turn when the active faction has an adult, battle-ready ancient as one of their members, roll 1d20. [LIST] [*]On a result of 1-19, they function like a normal TvN dragon for the day. Whew! [*]On a result of 20, the ancient goes bestial until challenge rollover! You can forego rerolling the d20 until the first day of the new challenge week; for now, the ancient is stuck in this frame of mind and no amount of persuasion can snap them out of it. [/LIST] Each day an ancient dragon is bestial, roll 1d6. Enable the following effect depending on the numbered result. [LIST=1] [*]The ancient dragon flies into a berserker rage! Generate a random list of [b]every single living challenge dragon[/b] (hatchlings, adults, etc.) and move the berserk ancient dragon's name to the top of the list. Then, roll 1d6 to see how many of the top dragons are affected. Afterwards, for each affected dragon (in order by their randomly-generated number), flip a coin. [LIST] [*]On a result of [b]heads[/b], they dodge the attack! [*]On a result of [b]tails[/b], they get hit! Roll 1d6 again and multiply its result by ½. This number represents how many life points that dragon has lost. [/LIST] If the ancient dragon lands a hit on [i]three or more members of their home faction[/i] (themself excluded), [b]or[/b] [i]has gone berserk twice prior to challenge rollover[/i], then the ancient dragon will be considered a threat and chased out! [b]Kicked Out Ancient:[/b] They lose 1 LP in their escape from their home faction. Additionally, depending on whether you're playing with wandering dragons or not, here's where they choose to go: [LIST] [*]If you aren't playing with neutral entities, then the ancient immediately joins the opposing faction! However, this is contingent on them [i]not[/i] having been chased away before due to going berserk or causing an elemental power burst (see #4). If they have, then the ancient dragon is temporarily factionless. Roll 1d10 for each factionless day. As soon as the result is 10, the opposing faction grants them another chance. [*][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2338903/2#post_32602948]If you are playing with neutral entities[/url], then the ancient will still immediately join the opposing faction as long as they have [i]not[/i] been chased away from them before. If they have, then the ancient dragon becomes a wandering dragon instead. They will function exactly a modern wandering dragon until they're persuaded to join one faction or the other. [/LIST] [*]The ancient dragon goes into a deep slumber. They [i]must[/i] be the last dragon summoned into battle if all others (save the last two) faint that day. However, if they are awakened, they will lash out against the dragons who try to wake them; treat that lashing-out in the same way you would a berserker rage, but targeted only to the last two dragons standing. As a result, even if the ancient ends up hitting both of the other dragons, they will not have to fear being kicked out! [*]The ancient dragon functions as an additional guaranteed dragon in the Coliseum for their home faction. However, unlike the normal guaranteed dragon, they will never surrender even if they faint -- you cannot remove the ancient dragon from your Coliseum party until the battles are over, or they die! They will also refuse healing from potions during this time, but may still heal themselves or receive healing from another party member using battle stones. (Normal breaks between battles and fleeing rules are still in effect.) [*]The ancient dragon releases an explosive pulse of primordial energy! They add 1d6 worth of tallies to their element's relevant effect to their home faction. If this triggers an elemental effect to occur (be it considered positive or negative), then resolve that first. Then flip a coin: [LIST] [*]On a result of heads, the faction may be a little rattled, but otherwise fine. Gameplay continues as usual. [*]On a result of tails, the faction tries to express concern to the ancient about the elemental pulse, effectively warning them against doing it again. If, prior to challenge rollover, this bestial effect is rolled again, then the ancient is kicked out! (See the "kicked out" part of #1.) [/LIST] [*]The ancient dragon has vanished... where did they go?? They're gone for their faction's Coliseum battles even if all others faint, and they don't even add to the number of battles necessary for their faction's turn to be considered complete. However, at the end of the day, they return with mysterious elixirs or charms that seem to affect your team. Generate a random list of all dragons for their home faction, move the ancient dragon's name to the top, and roll 1d6 to see how many of the top dragons are affected. Then, for each affected dragon, flip a coin. On heads, nothing happens. On tails, they get healed; roll 1d6 again and multiply the result by ½ for the life points they gain. [*]The ancient dragon has wandered out in search of a mate. They're gone for their faction's Coliseum battles even if all others faint, and they don't even add to the number of battles necessary for their faction's turn to be considered complete. At the very end of the day, review the ancient dragon and roll a die, if necessary. If the ancient isn't ready to breed [i]or[/i] the die lands on a 1-4, then nothing happens. If the ancient is ready to breed [i]and[/i] the die lands on a 5-6, then the ancient has found a mate and nests right away! Their mate should be a compatible RTB dragon of their species found on the first page of the Auction House. Filter for triple-gened dragons and/or randomize, if desired. Alternatively, they can come from your lair or hibernal den -- whatever suits you! Regardless, the mate is [i]not[/i] considered a TvN dragon. This temporary partner will (for all intents and purposes) leave after their duty of making a nest is done. You may do whatever you want with them after. The resulting hatchlings are considered rare and have the same, ancient wanderlust as their ancestors. Roll 1d6 for each in birth order. On a 1-5, the hatchling wanders away and cannot be used for the challenge moving forward. On a 6, they get to stay as part of the challenge. However, if one or more ancient hatchlings are rolled to stay in the challenge, that does not necessarily mean they choose to stay in their parent's home faction! Roll 1d6 for each hatchling who stays (if there are multiple, then go by birth order): [LIST] [*]If you aren't playing with neutral entities, then on a 1-3, the hatchling stays in their home faction with their parent. On a 4-6, they defect to the opposing faction. [*][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2338903/2#post_32602948]If you are playing with neutral entities[/url], then on a 1-2, the hatchling stays in the home faction with their parent. On a 3-4, they defect to the opposing faction. And on a 5-6, they become a wandering dragon, and functions just like their modern counterparts until they die or join a faction. [/LIST] [/LIST] ----- That's what I have so far! I'm happy for any feedback or suggestions. I'm also happy to answer any questions that may come up! Happy playing! [emoji=dice 2 size=1]
@Jaspernoir Let me know if you happen to start one. I'd love to follow it!

Also, in more general news, I would like to use this post to introduce the Ancient Adjustments optional ruleset! In a vanilla TvN, only modern dragons are used because of their ability to breed with one another. However, this version adds Ancient dragons into the mix and gives them a special ruleset!

Acquiring Ancient Dragons:

As a general rule, all starting dragons should still be modern breeds. If you want to start with ancients, then each faction must begin with one ancient in a faction-appropriate element and the rest of the dragons should stay modern. Of course, randomize the element and breed of the ancient for each to keep things unbiased!

Once the challenge is underway, ancients can be rolled in the event of new dragons joining via familiar drops, the effects of Rally, or other similar circumstances! When playing with Ancient Adjustments and you're off to acquire one or more new dragons, roll 1d10:

• On a result of 1-9, adopt a modern breed like usual.

• On a result of 10, you can get an ancient dragon! They can be of any relevant breed and should be picked in a random fashion similar to how you'd usually pick one. However, unlike a normal party dragon, their element should be left fully random. Ancients do not believe in your war's paltry divisions!

Ancient Dragon Functionality:

For the most part, an ancient dragon will function like a normal faction member. However, they're more closely tied with the wild nature of their element than their modern cousins, and as a result can become... unruly.

At the start of every turn when the active faction has an adult, battle-ready ancient as one of their members, roll 1d20.

• On a result of 1-19, they function like a normal TvN dragon for the day. Whew!

• On a result of 20, the ancient goes bestial until challenge rollover! You can forego rerolling the d20 until the first day of the new challenge week; for now, the ancient is stuck in this frame of mind and no amount of persuasion can snap them out of it.

Each day an ancient dragon is bestial, roll 1d6. Enable the following effect depending on the numbered result.

1. The ancient dragon flies into a berserker rage! Generate a random list of every single living challenge dragon (hatchlings, adults, etc.) and move the berserk ancient dragon's name to the top of the list. Then, roll 1d6 to see how many of the top dragons are affected. Afterwards, for each affected dragon (in order by their randomly-generated number), flip a coin.

• On a result of heads, they dodge the attack!

• On a result of tails, they get hit! Roll 1d6 again and multiply its result by ½. This number represents how many life points that dragon has lost.

If the ancient dragon lands a hit on three or more members of their home faction (themself excluded), or has gone berserk twice prior to challenge rollover, then the ancient dragon will be considered a threat and chased out!

Kicked Out Ancient: They lose 1 LP in their escape from their home faction. Additionally, depending on whether you're playing with wandering dragons or not, here's where they choose to go:

• If you aren't playing with neutral entities, then the ancient immediately joins the opposing faction! However, this is contingent on them not having been chased away before due to going berserk or causing an elemental power burst (see #4). If they have, then the ancient dragon is temporarily factionless. Roll 1d10 for each factionless day. As soon as the result is 10, the opposing faction grants them another chance.

• If you are playing with neutral entities, then the ancient will still immediately join the opposing faction as long as they have not been chased away from them before. If they have, then the ancient dragon becomes a wandering dragon instead. They will function exactly a modern wandering dragon until they're persuaded to join one faction or the other.

2. The ancient dragon goes into a deep slumber. They must be the last dragon summoned into battle if all others (save the last two) faint that day. However, if they are awakened, they will lash out against the dragons who try to wake them; treat that lashing-out in the same way you would a berserker rage, but targeted only to the last two dragons standing. As a result, even if the ancient ends up hitting both of the other dragons, they will not have to fear being kicked out!

3. The ancient dragon functions as an additional guaranteed dragon in the Coliseum for their home faction. However, unlike the normal guaranteed dragon, they will never surrender even if they faint -- you cannot remove the ancient dragon from your Coliseum party until the battles are over, or they die! They will also refuse healing from potions during this time, but may still heal themselves or receive healing from another party member using battle stones. (Normal breaks between battles and fleeing rules are still in effect.)

4. The ancient dragon releases an explosive pulse of primordial energy! They add 1d6 worth of tallies to their element's relevant effect to their home faction. If this triggers an elemental effect to occur (be it considered positive or negative), then resolve that first. Then flip a coin:

• On a result of heads, the faction may be a little rattled, but otherwise fine. Gameplay continues as usual.

• On a result of tails, the faction tries to express concern to the ancient about the elemental pulse, effectively warning them against doing it again. If, prior to challenge rollover, this bestial effect is rolled again, then the ancient is kicked out! (See the "kicked out" part of #1.)

5. The ancient dragon has vanished... where did they go?? They're gone for their faction's Coliseum battles even if all others faint, and they don't even add to the number of battles necessary for their faction's turn to be considered complete. However, at the end of the day, they return with mysterious elixirs or charms that seem to affect your team.

Generate a random list of all dragons for their home faction, move the ancient dragon's name to the top, and roll 1d6 to see how many of the top dragons are affected. Then, for each affected dragon, flip a coin. On heads, nothing happens. On tails, they get healed; roll 1d6 again and multiply the result by ½ for the life points they gain.

6. The ancient dragon has wandered out in search of a mate. They're gone for their faction's Coliseum battles even if all others faint, and they don't even add to the number of battles necessary for their faction's turn to be considered complete. At the very end of the day, review the ancient dragon and roll a die, if necessary. If the ancient isn't ready to breed or the die lands on a 1-4, then nothing happens. If the ancient is ready to breed and the die lands on a 5-6, then the ancient has found a mate and nests right away!

Their mate should be a compatible RTB dragon of their species found on the first page of the Auction House. Filter for triple-gened dragons and/or randomize, if desired. Alternatively, they can come from your lair or hibernal den -- whatever suits you! Regardless, the mate is not considered a TvN dragon. This temporary partner will (for all intents and purposes) leave after their duty of making a nest is done. You may do whatever you want with them after.

The resulting hatchlings are considered rare and have the same, ancient wanderlust as their ancestors. Roll 1d6 for each in birth order. On a 1-5, the hatchling wanders away and cannot be used for the challenge moving forward. On a 6, they get to stay as part of the challenge.

However, if one or more ancient hatchlings are rolled to stay in the challenge, that does not necessarily mean they choose to stay in their parent's home faction! Roll 1d6 for each hatchling who stays (if there are multiple, then go by birth order):

• If you aren't playing with neutral entities, then on a 1-3, the hatchling stays in their home faction with their parent. On a 4-6, they defect to the opposing faction.

• If you are playing with neutral entities, then on a 1-2, the hatchling stays in the home faction with their parent. On a 3-4, they defect to the opposing faction. And on a 5-6, they become a wandering dragon, and functions just like their modern counterparts until they die or join a faction.

That's what I have so far! I'm happy for any feedback or suggestions. I'm also happy to answer any questions that may come up!

Happy playing!
if you guys haven't seen my absolute nightmare of a 3-team challenge based mainly on these rules you should check it out
if you guys haven't seen my absolute nightmare of a 3-team challenge based mainly on these rules you should check it out
J9GEzlP.png

marketplace/mp
he/she
art ^ skins ^ buying fod nests
@Marketplace -- Holy cow, you weren't kidding; this is an insane challenge! Poor Sea is barely hanging on, but they also have the benefit of the dragon with the most LP left.

If you don't mind my asking, what modifications did you make to turn it into a three-team TVN? You don't have to get super specific if you don't want, but I'm wondering how you decided to set up things like initiative and anything else you feel would be interesting to share. c:
@Marketplace -- Holy cow, you weren't kidding; this is an insane challenge! Poor Sea is barely hanging on, but they also have the benefit of the dragon with the most LP left.

If you don't mind my asking, what modifications did you make to turn it into a three-team TVN? You don't have to get super specific if you don't want, but I'm wondering how you decided to set up things like initiative and anything else you feel would be interesting to share. c:
[quote name="Dreamnorn" date="2023-04-03 15:50:25" ] Marketplace -- Holy cow, you weren't kidding; this is an insane challenge! Poor Sea is barely hanging on, but they also have the benefit of the dragon with the most LP left. If you don't mind my asking, what modifications did you make to turn it into a three-team TVN? You don't have to get super specific if you don't want, but I'm wondering how you decided to set up things like initiative and anything else you feel would be interesting to share. c: [/quote] first of all, initiative is easy. i usually just randomize 3 until two different teams are picked and base the order off of that. it would genuinely be faster to use the list randomizer here but i don't feel like keeping two randomizer tabs open, i say, with 9 tabs open. it would also be easier to use the list randomizer for teams, but i did not do that and based them off elemental seeds that fit their motif to a degree. but ice isn't team snow, you may ask, i respond with: shadow fits better because of their lore. i also altered the wanderer encounters. instead of just the first team rolling to encounter a wandering troupe, all teams do. this mod could probably be used in any challenge with wanderers but was inspired by the 3-team modification because wanderer turnover would be a lot slower. wanderers themselves were a challenge in their own right to get right because of the rules hinging a lot on there being only two teams. positive sway is more important, because if a team hits -7 on a dragon, instead of joining one of the other factions, they just aren't able to be swayed to the active faction anymore. this happened with team snow. like, a lot. i represent it with a - instead of a number. however, snow is still trying to mend their mistakes and get aluiries to join them - i'll tell you how that goes. however, +7 sway remains the same as 2-team, so whoever gets to +7 first gets the wanderer. if all teams but one hit -7, it also forces the wanderer to join the team that doesn't have -7. in short, there was a lot of alteration, mostly hinging on the fact i decided to add wanderers. it paid off.
Dreamnorn wrote on 2023-04-03 15:50:25:
Marketplace -- Holy cow, you weren't kidding; this is an insane challenge! Poor Sea is barely hanging on, but they also have the benefit of the dragon with the most LP left.

first of all, initiative is easy. i usually just randomize 3 until two different teams are picked and base the order off of that. it would genuinely be faster to use the list randomizer here but i don't feel like keeping two randomizer tabs open, i say, with 9 tabs open.
it would also be easier to use the list randomizer for teams, but i did not do that and based them off elemental seeds that fit their motif to a degree. but ice isn't team snow, you may ask, i respond with: shadow fits better because of their lore.
i also altered the wanderer encounters. instead of just the first team rolling to encounter a wandering troupe, all teams do. this mod could probably be used in any challenge with wanderers but was inspired by the 3-team modification because wanderer turnover would be a lot slower.
wanderers themselves were a challenge in their own right to get right because of the rules hinging a lot on there being only two teams. positive sway is more important, because if a team hits -7 on a dragon, instead of joining one of the other factions, they just aren't able to be swayed to the active faction anymore. this happened with team snow. like, a lot. i represent it with a - instead of a number. however, snow is still trying to mend their mistakes and get aluiries to join them - i'll tell you how that goes. however, +7 sway remains the same as 2-team, so whoever gets to +7 first gets the wanderer. if all teams but one hit -7, it also forces the wanderer to join the team that doesn't have -7.

in short, there was a lot of alteration, mostly hinging on the fact i decided to add wanderers. it paid off.
J9GEzlP.png

marketplace/mp
he/she
art ^ skins ^ buying fod nests
@Dreamnorn
[redacted question]
I think I figured it out. Gave myself a headache in the process but THAT ain't new. I'd like to find a posted one to see this in action, one that went for a while(i wonder if any have been finished?)...if I could manage the forum search well enough. Harumph. So many rules! It must have taken forever to make this!! AND you updated it earlier this year! :D Now that's some dedication.
@Dreamnorn
[redacted question]
I think I figured it out. Gave myself a headache in the process but THAT ain't new. I'd like to find a posted one to see this in action, one that went for a while(i wonder if any have been finished?)...if I could manage the forum search well enough. Harumph. So many rules! It must have taken forever to make this!! AND you updated it earlier this year! :D Now that's some dedication.
FD1rkPC.png dac5c205911117729a82f72c1cdf25cc70a0d072.png
i definitely wanna try doing one of these soon ehehe
i definitely wanna try doing one of these soon ehehe
my hatchery
dragon package rescue
writing shop
geneticats adopts:
breedable genetics-based rng adopts

||
||
||
||
||
||

my bio code thread
wishlist
warrior cat oc art

||
||
||
||
||
||

mogai/lgbt pixel resources
warrior cat clan game
my lore thread

@Felawnie -- There are indeed a few that have been finished! Admittedly, I'm not the most well-versed in the forum search feature myself, but I remember reading a crazy one back in the day that ended in a team's sudden and tragic loss, and then another one that was more neck-and-neck until its finale! [emoji=imperial love size=1] The rules did indeed take some time, but I think they were worth it to create a weird, unique challenge! [emoji=familiar heart size=1] I hope you enjoy it if you create a thread of your own -- and I'd love to be pinged if you do, if you're interested in other people reading your progress! @naranciag -- I hope you have fun!! [emoji=mirror love size=1] If you do, I'd love to be pinged to follow the progress, if you're interested!
@Felawnie -- There are indeed a few that have been finished! Admittedly, I'm not the most well-versed in the forum search feature myself, but I remember reading a crazy one back in the day that ended in a team's sudden and tragic loss, and then another one that was more neck-and-neck until its finale!

The rules did indeed take some time, but I think they were worth it to create a weird, unique challenge! I hope you enjoy it if you create a thread of your own -- and I'd love to be pinged if you do, if you're interested in other people reading your progress!

@naranciag -- I hope you have fun!! If you do, I'd love to be pinged to follow the progress, if you're interested!
1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16