Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | So what did yall think of the dusthides
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
My eggs weren't so great and I basically sold both clanbound dusthides I got. But I went and got a few hatchlings from the AH for some dusthide projects and they're turning out great. I find that they're pretty versatile - spores gives them a cooler look, antler gives them a colder look and their default is friend shaped.
My eggs weren't so great and I basically sold both clanbound dusthides I got. But I went and got a few hatchlings from the AH for some dusthide projects and they're turning out great. I find that they're pretty versatile - spores gives them a cooler look, antler gives them a colder look and their default is friend shaped.
Come visit my lore lair! It's a fun time here.

Something strange is happening on Sornieth. All across the world, dragons have begun to be born with multiple elements. How? Why? As dragons all across Sornieth takes notice, the wheel of fate begins to turn, as one fae's search for her mysterious origins leads her down a path that could change Sornieth forever.
They're mid for me.

Not my favourite Ancient, but not my least favourite either :) I've ended up getting a fair few as projects; so i'm pretty happy ^^

They have fun genes, and not everyone is going to like every single breed, and thats okay :)

At the very least I think anyone disappointed can at least enjoy the genes they released with if/when they're ported to other breeds ^^
They're mid for me.

Not my favourite Ancient, but not my least favourite either :) I've ended up getting a fair few as projects; so i'm pretty happy ^^

They have fun genes, and not everyone is going to like every single breed, and thats okay :)

At the very least I think anyone disappointed can at least enjoy the genes they released with if/when they're ported to other breeds ^^
972ee6408be03363898b64bb29e640034b1310b4.png7667dd2c536ecd719b369737ff16de5f7adb05d1.pnge6cfb360af67b7bc3881ae209414f2ca128d5b19.png
They're not really my jam, but I know some folks have been wanting dragons like them, so I'm happy for them.
They're not really my jam, but I know some folks have been wanting dragons like them, so I'm happy for them.
(Please don't ping me in the Suggestions Forum).
I've seen a few very specific cases where I like a concept of them, but in general they really aren't for me.
I've seen a few very specific cases where I like a concept of them, but in general they really aren't for me.
__________________My Random Progen, Faendal Avatar Dragon
Dragonsona
Hatchery
Autumncore
I enjoy being pinged :) I also like Stars on my dragons!
My Custom Progen, Iselene
I have headcanons here and here and fully support your use of "yall" for this topic. XD

Design-wise, I like them! And the way the anatomy and pose work, it's so easy to picture them rolling up and rolling out (especially the male pose.) So much so that it's hard for me to picture them walking.
I have headcanons here and here and fully support your use of "yall" for this topic. XD

Design-wise, I like them! And the way the anatomy and pose work, it's so easy to picture them rolling up and rolling out (especially the male pose.) So much so that it's hard for me to picture them walking.
I love them, but I also understand why people were disappointed.

Earth was one of those flights that had a lot of potential for unconventional body plans. We were always brainstorming wyrms or drakes or crystal themed monsters.

At first I was ehh on the bald head. Spores is by far my favorite tert on them because it gives them horns, which look like they complete the design. After a while though, I understand the potential for other amazing terts a bald dragon can have. Patchy for example, makes them look like dinosaurs. I think that design choice will give them some really transformative options in the future.
I love them, but I also understand why people were disappointed.

Earth was one of those flights that had a lot of potential for unconventional body plans. We were always brainstorming wyrms or drakes or crystal themed monsters.

At first I was ehh on the bald head. Spores is by far my favorite tert on them because it gives them horns, which look like they complete the design. After a while though, I understand the potential for other amazing terts a bald dragon can have. Patchy for example, makes them look like dinosaurs. I think that design choice will give them some really transformative options in the future.
YgOQ2oY.pngRfSBvPi.pngRtSbM78.pngiezVfl0.pngiWjBTCn.png

They are cute and very silly but I feel like they are missing some things that could improve them a lot. I think adding osteoderms (in the form of flat, wide spines) along their back, shoulders, hips, and the topside of their wings could've helped. (might make an edit later of what I mean if I remember hgdjkf)

Personally I feel like some ancients kind of rely on line breaking terts to add a lot more visual interest with the absence of apparel options. Don't get me wrong, line breaking terts are hecking amazing, I just wish I could use normal terts more without feeling like something is missing.
This also isn't helped by a lot of the ancients meeting modern requirements or not straying away from it too much. I (and I believe a lot of others) really hope they push away from the norm considerably with the wind and light ancients and experiment with some really insane ideas! :O
They are cute and very silly but I feel like they are missing some things that could improve them a lot. I think adding osteoderms (in the form of flat, wide spines) along their back, shoulders, hips, and the topside of their wings could've helped. (might make an edit later of what I mean if I remember hgdjkf)

Personally I feel like some ancients kind of rely on line breaking terts to add a lot more visual interest with the absence of apparel options. Don't get me wrong, line breaking terts are hecking amazing, I just wish I could use normal terts more without feeling like something is missing.
This also isn't helped by a lot of the ancients meeting modern requirements or not straying away from it too much. I (and I believe a lot of others) really hope they push away from the norm considerably with the wind and light ancients and experiment with some really insane ideas! :O
Needleblinking.gif
for the most part, i absolutely love them!! my main disappointment with them is that i don’t love many of their prim/sec genes other than strike/coil, and they depend mostly on linebreaking terts to gain back some of the visual interest that the prim/sec genes fail to create. i am obsessed w the strike/coil/veil combo though; i could have 50 dusthide w these genes and still not get sick of them !! bar gives them a lovely leopard gecko texture that i’m excited to work w in the future, & i also think the batty tert is super underrated - would love to see more dragons w these :)
for the most part, i absolutely love them!! my main disappointment with them is that i don’t love many of their prim/sec genes other than strike/coil, and they depend mostly on linebreaking terts to gain back some of the visual interest that the prim/sec genes fail to create. i am obsessed w the strike/coil/veil combo though; i could have 50 dusthide w these genes and still not get sick of them !! bar gives them a lovely leopard gecko texture that i’m excited to work w in the future, & i also think the batty tert is super underrated - would love to see more dragons w these :)
maddy - she/her - sagittarius
Pretty mid for me; I scooped a handful of really cool Umas for them tho but I dont think I'll get more than 4-5 in my lair as a whole
Pretty mid for me; I scooped a handful of really cool Umas for them tho but I dont think I'll get more than 4-5 in my lair as a whole
62a28eab19423fd06c81c0b57758ea57b3848a75.png
42d22711d27254841bd07f96db6eb09fe438054c.png
I had a brief moment of initial disappointment because that's what happens when I hype myself up for something specific— which is why I try not to, because I can enjoy things a lot better when they're a surprise. Pretty fast after that, I started rescrying all my Sandsurge Sailfish/Marlin as Dusthides and liking them even better.

I've grown very fond of their unadorned head; I appreciate that it's something entirely different and allows them to have such a variety of looks from incredibly specific terts, from the fun cute dino look of Pachy to the fuzzy elegance of Antlers and the more full-body spine look of Spores, or even the more subtle translucent look of Veil. Carnivore is fantastically creepy on them, too, moreso than any other breed, and I love it. They would look fantastic with Diaphanous, Branches… any tert that alters the head will work on Dusthides because it won't have to be crowded in.

I recognize that some people don't like that they have to choose between simpler terts and some form of head shaping, but I think I'd only really have a problem with that if all Ancients made the same trade-off. As the other Ancients have pretty crowded heads, which can sometimes cause issues with head-altering terts feeling crowded in or misshapen (as with Undertide Branches M needing to be redrawn for skewed perspective), it's refreshing to me to have a blank slate that highlights those kinds of terts instead of crowding them in. I don't think it's a coincidence that Branches looks the cleanest on Veilspun, because they only have two small horns and not a lot going on crest-wise compared to Auraboas and Undertides— there's lots of blank space to draw in the gene and have it look a lot more distinct from the head, and Dusthides do something very similar with their own head-altering terts. (Though it's not like I don't like Branches on other dragons— one of my favorite Auraboas has Branches. It's just… I don't scry it as often compared to Veilspun.)

They also pull off Batty way better than Auraboas, in my opinion, because there's nothing else on their head so the little tiny ears that were nigh-invisible on Auraboas actually work to alter the shape of Dusthide heads, and the wing positioning is much better due to the poses. That said, it's still a hard gene to work with because it has the same bright/flat color scheme as Gliders (another gene I like in theory but in practice have not managed to make work once.)

Both poses are fantastic (well, all three, the hatchling is adorable), to me, and while I only currently have the M pose represented in my lair (all waiting for Sailfish and/or Marlin so they'll be projects for a while…) I have plenty of F pose projects lined up as well.
I had a brief moment of initial disappointment because that's what happens when I hype myself up for something specific— which is why I try not to, because I can enjoy things a lot better when they're a surprise. Pretty fast after that, I started rescrying all my Sandsurge Sailfish/Marlin as Dusthides and liking them even better.

I've grown very fond of their unadorned head; I appreciate that it's something entirely different and allows them to have such a variety of looks from incredibly specific terts, from the fun cute dino look of Pachy to the fuzzy elegance of Antlers and the more full-body spine look of Spores, or even the more subtle translucent look of Veil. Carnivore is fantastically creepy on them, too, moreso than any other breed, and I love it. They would look fantastic with Diaphanous, Branches… any tert that alters the head will work on Dusthides because it won't have to be crowded in.

I recognize that some people don't like that they have to choose between simpler terts and some form of head shaping, but I think I'd only really have a problem with that if all Ancients made the same trade-off. As the other Ancients have pretty crowded heads, which can sometimes cause issues with head-altering terts feeling crowded in or misshapen (as with Undertide Branches M needing to be redrawn for skewed perspective), it's refreshing to me to have a blank slate that highlights those kinds of terts instead of crowding them in. I don't think it's a coincidence that Branches looks the cleanest on Veilspun, because they only have two small horns and not a lot going on crest-wise compared to Auraboas and Undertides— there's lots of blank space to draw in the gene and have it look a lot more distinct from the head, and Dusthides do something very similar with their own head-altering terts. (Though it's not like I don't like Branches on other dragons— one of my favorite Auraboas has Branches. It's just… I don't scry it as often compared to Veilspun.)

They also pull off Batty way better than Auraboas, in my opinion, because there's nothing else on their head so the little tiny ears that were nigh-invisible on Auraboas actually work to alter the shape of Dusthide heads, and the wing positioning is much better due to the poses. That said, it's still a hard gene to work with because it has the same bright/flat color scheme as Gliders (another gene I like in theory but in practice have not managed to make work once.)

Both poses are fantastic (well, all three, the hatchling is adorable), to me, and while I only currently have the M pose represented in my lair (all waiting for Sailfish and/or Marlin so they'll be projects for a while…) I have plenty of F pose projects lined up as well.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8