Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Battle Stones and Coliseum Builds
1 2 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65
Sorry if this has been explained before/elsewhere, or if I'm misunderstanding something: I'm trying to learn how best to assemble a level 25 venue team and I only have experience with a Mire Monk duo. They annihilate every venue up to the Mire but are too weak for level 25 venues, and because they're so good at what they do, I don't have any elemental strategy experience! (It just doesn't come into play.) So I need a new team and I'm reading up all the guides to try to understand how it works.

I don't understand why Fire and Nature are the best elements to use in GW, when Fire is only good (not best) against Ice, worst against Earth (one of the bosses) and also bad against Shadow - which has two fighters, including the scrapmetal tracker which looks like the nastiest in terms of stats alone. Nature is also bad against Ice (the strongest boss), while doing best against Arcane which (again by stats) seems the weakest of the enemy sets?

Given that the enemies are pretty equally spread among all the elements in GW, but with most in Lightning and the bosses in Earth and Ice, wouldn't it make more sense to use Shadow and Wind dragons? Shadow is best against Ice, with no particular vulnerabilities to what look like the strongest mobs, although I note it is worst against Plague which sports two fighters; while Wind is best against Earth, also good against Lightning (which has more mobs) and is weaker to Shadow but not to Ice or Plague?

Clearly I'm missing something as I don't doubt the statistics or experience that have gone into this assessment! It's just that I need to get this right as I don't want to waste my elims on the wrong team for the job, and I want to use the dragons I have, not just tactical fodder from the AH, which means lore & availability come into play too.

I have just trained a Light dragon but since they're worst against Lightning, I can see he might not be the best choice for GW unfortunately (lol) although at least he's not vulnerable to either of the boss golems. I was thinking about making him a Mire Monk and re-speccing one of those instead (they're both Arcane, but that's at least better against Earth than a Fire dragon!)

Can anyone help with at least a couple of general pointers please? ^.^
Sorry if this has been explained before/elsewhere, or if I'm misunderstanding something: I'm trying to learn how best to assemble a level 25 venue team and I only have experience with a Mire Monk duo. They annihilate every venue up to the Mire but are too weak for level 25 venues, and because they're so good at what they do, I don't have any elemental strategy experience! (It just doesn't come into play.) So I need a new team and I'm reading up all the guides to try to understand how it works.

I don't understand why Fire and Nature are the best elements to use in GW, when Fire is only good (not best) against Ice, worst against Earth (one of the bosses) and also bad against Shadow - which has two fighters, including the scrapmetal tracker which looks like the nastiest in terms of stats alone. Nature is also bad against Ice (the strongest boss), while doing best against Arcane which (again by stats) seems the weakest of the enemy sets?

Given that the enemies are pretty equally spread among all the elements in GW, but with most in Lightning and the bosses in Earth and Ice, wouldn't it make more sense to use Shadow and Wind dragons? Shadow is best against Ice, with no particular vulnerabilities to what look like the strongest mobs, although I note it is worst against Plague which sports two fighters; while Wind is best against Earth, also good against Lightning (which has more mobs) and is weaker to Shadow but not to Ice or Plague?

Clearly I'm missing something as I don't doubt the statistics or experience that have gone into this assessment! It's just that I need to get this right as I don't want to waste my elims on the wrong team for the job, and I want to use the dragons I have, not just tactical fodder from the AH, which means lore & availability come into play too.

I have just trained a Light dragon but since they're worst against Lightning, I can see he might not be the best choice for GW unfortunately (lol) although at least he's not vulnerable to either of the boss golems. I was thinking about making him a Mire Monk and re-speccing one of those instead (they're both Arcane, but that's at least better against Earth than a Fire dragon!)

Can anyone help with at least a couple of general pointers please? ^.^
CTF4up6.png
@/Fledhyris I am by no means an expert (so hey, if I get anything wrong, folks, please say so!), but I am going to take a flying guess based on my own experience at what your sticking point is, here. First, Elemental strategy [i]in Mire[/i] comes into play the most when using a 2-fodder trainer like I have always used there, barring a brief grindhunt for a particularly elusive toad familiar. This is because 1 trainer is more likely to take hits along the way than 2 would be. (Or, if bootstrapping an initial team, which is how I got started, using Oran [below] and my Wind progens as my team.) My favorite reference point here is that [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/65535734]Azakar[/url], my Plague fighter, before his respec to be used in other areas, used to be my Mire trainer - on purpose, in spite of recommendations against using Plague there - and I was also using an old 2-hit build, rather than having enough STR for Rally-Eliminate 1-shotting things. (That last part was just me not knowing about 1-hit Mire builds yet, because I was new and using an out-of-date guide.) Azakar going from scarcely scratched to instantly annihilated in the space of one Brilliant Psywurm spellcast is a thing I just got used to, and it taught me a lot about when elemental damage is a factor or not, and why. The thing is, "thing of element X does more or less damage to / takes more or less damage from, thing of element Y" [i]does not apply[/i] when the thing in question is giving or taking Neutral damage. Neutral damage includes Scratch, Shred, Eliminate, Sap, Contuse spell, the general damage of Neutral (O) enemies - [u]and the initial Breath-building attacks of elemental melee enemies[/u]. So, yes, for example, a Sickle Kamaitachi in Mire [i]is[/i] of the Fire element, but enemies in the Coliseum are always encountered at 0 initial Breath, which is why the first thing every caster in there does is Meditate. How often does it live long enough to actually USE its Fire-elemental Slash, given that its first use requires just as much Breath-building as for a Scratch-based dragon using the same ability? It uses the same animation as for a dragon, too, a fiery swipe, so you would probably have noticed after being in that area for a while, whether they managed to use it on your team.* [i]*(Unless you have animations completely off, or any other relevant reason you could miss this.)[/i] You probably only ever saw that animation when the Fire toad boss used it, though - and they have to build Breath first, too. The same applies to every melee Elemental enemy, unless I am forgetting an exception. Even melee bosses like that toad (also see: both GW bosses) do their Elemental-based attacks [i]only[/i] after doing enough Neutral attacks to build the necessary Breath. Once they have it..... IF they get it..... If you have ever run with a dragon equipped with a "Field Manual" stone, which lets you see the enemies' Breath bars - like when I put one on my Coli trainee for kicks while leveling them up - you also know that enemies making those special attacks or using spells, even when they miss, consumes Breath the same as with most Breath-using dragon attacks. Just like when an Eliminate is Dodged or does not finish off its target. So even bosses cannot just keep on using their elemental-whatever spell or attack indefinitely after building the breath for it once, be it by Meditate or by Scratch. So - taking a test pass through Harpy's Roost with a team like this, Fire, Ice, and Lightning, all with identical stats which include DEF (melee defense) 5 and MND (spell defense) 5, and bribing my team to sit around and take hits.... [center][emoji=fire rune size=1][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/65603329][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/656034/65603329.png[/img][/url] [emoji=ice rune size=1][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/65195701][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/651958/65195701.png[/img][/url] [emoji=lightning rune size=1][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/67418284][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/674183/67418284.png[/img][/url][/center] .....The initial hits a trio of Windcarve Bladedancers (Wind [emoji=wind rune size=1], Melee) score against all 3 of these dragons, do the same damage, even though Wind [i]Elemental[/i] attacks do better damage against Fire. Those initial attacks are Scratch (Neutral damage), [i]not[/i] Gust Slash (Wind Melee). Run into one of those Blue Tang Hippogriff casters with this team, and Mohala, the Lightning Pearlcatcher on the team, just laughs them off even if I futz about and let them Meditate, spellcast and hit him, and the grey numbers which pop up when their [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/game-database/item/504]Shock Bolt[/url] hits show just how feeble Lightning damage is against a Lightning dragon, even if the sub-140-point damage number was not enough. If they fire off a [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/game-database/item/732]Shock[/url] instead, and its stun actually manages to stick, it is [i]annoying[/i], sure, but he is still pretty unlikely to die of Lightning hits while waiting for it to wear off. The other two WILL take more damage from the Blue Tangs' spells, because those do Lightning damage. Oran, Ice Noc, will take the most, as Lightning does somewhat increased damage against Ice, while Odile, Fire, takes "neither boosted nor decreased" damage from Lightning unless his defense is artificially increased (such as by Defending). Cardinal Hippogriffs, being Neutral, on the other hand, will do Contuse (Neutral) damage if they get off a spellcast (and be annoying, because Contuse includes a lingering damage debuff which always lands, causing a dragon to do less damage output until it wears off). All dragons having MND (spell defense) 5, Contuse will deal the same level of damage against all 3 dragons. Meanwhile, Wind effects are rated Bad against Lightning (but not AS bad as Lightning vs. Lightning). The initial 3 hits by each Windcarve Bladedancer against Mohala are still [u]the same as against either of the other dragons shown[/u], even though they do not all share the same resistance to Wind damage either. And odds are, if I was not literally sitting there letting them take their shots, none of a group of 3 of these enemies would ever live to DO any Wind damage, except in my initial combat encounter of building Breath, or if I am coming off of back-to-back bosses or had a nasty visit from the Dodge Fairy, as this team can annihilate anything in this venue once it has its one round to get rolling. A team of all 3 Meditate Melees is even smoother sailing, which is why it is my favored fest grinding team for everything below [s]the Workshop.[/s] (I meant below Kelp Beds, but the fact Oran is also on my Kelp Beds team tripped me up.) Outgoing damage is really simple here, as all 3 dragons only have Sap and Eliminate with which to deal damage, and both of these deal Neutral damage. Against each specific creature type, all 3 dragons using Eliminate will deal equivalent damage, same for Sap. Same for Scratch or Shred if they all had those stones. Only the creature's DEF or the dragon having Rally or landing a critical, makes any real difference here, as no Elemental damage is being dealt. (Forget counting on crits btw. It has been calculated already that trying to run a crit build is a waste of breath, literally, unless you are messing about with a suboptimal team for kicks as I sometimes do.) Tackle a team of 3 Brush Dodos (Water, Melee), for example, and all 3 dragons, if equipped with Scratch and none have Rally increasing their STR, would do 488 damage per Scratch to these enemies, unless they crit. Even though Odile is Fire (rated Bad against Water) and Oran is Ice (rated Best against Water). Because, again, no Elemental damage is being dealt in this scenario. The Dodos hitting back will only do increased damage to the Fire dragon, or reduced damage to the Lightning dragon, if left alive long enough their Water-based attacks see any [i]use[/i], which requires a [i]minimum[/i] of 4 combat rounds (3 to build breath + 1 to use the elemental ability). Further complicating things - just because an elemental melee creature builds breath enough to use its Elemental attack, does not mean that it will. For example, the abilities of a Masked Harpy (Wind, Melee) are, Scratch, Shred, Gust Slash. Both Gust Slash and Shred require building enough Breath to use. So, I let one sit around clawing up my team until it built enough Breath to use a special. It used Shred - Neutral damage (the initial hit and the bleed). I did the same again, and it used Shred again. It could, in theory, have used an Elemental Wind attack, but I got bored and mashed it before it ever did. Elemental [i]spellcasters[/i], on the other hand, ONLY have Elemental damage-dealing abilities, and Meditate to build the Breath to use them. So when they get done Meditating and unload that Breath on your team, any damage which lands WILL be of the creature's element; how much damage depends on your dragon's MND score, your dragon's element, whether they are Defending (or Guarding or Anticipating) or not, and whether the spell happens to crit. So, you can see why one of those Brilliant Psywurms from Mire critting a cast on my glass cannon Plague trainer was an instant YOU DIED for that dragon, and why even a non-crit at anything but full health was just as lethal. Lower negative protection against an element is LESS dramatic, but is still going to make a deeper dent than if the dragon was middle of the road or resistant. But none of this has [i]specifically[/i] to do with Golem Workshop, a venue where this team would actually have to [i]work[/i] for a win. So, let us take a jaunt on over to Odile's hunting ground of choice, with this same team. (On the way there, Mohala[emoji=lightning rune size=1] and Oran[emoji=ice rune size=1] will be swapping out their usual grindteam Meditate for Scratch, which Odile[emoji=fire rune size=1] already has, for demo purposes. Neither dragon is happy about this, especially Mohala. But, FOR SCIENCE!, they soldier on.) (Also, how about I get a stack of health potions out of the vault, as sitting around intentionally taking hits for science is going to [b]h u r t[/b], no matter the damage types being done.) Right off the mark, my team encountered 2 Mechanical Destroyers (Melee, Neutral). Nothing to see here, as my dragons were taking only Neutral damage, and dealing only Neutral damage against Neutral creatures, but a good start to build some Breath on. The very next battle was 3 of those Scrapmetal Trackers (Shadow, melee) you mentioned. Shadow damage is Best against Ice (Oran), Good against Fire (Odile), and has no modifier either way against Lightning (Mohala). So, if not for everything I just explained, this team should be quaking in their nonexistent boots. In the first 3 rounds of Tracker attacks, the Scrapmetal Trackers landed multiple hits on all 3 dragons (who, once buffed, sat there chugging health potions and sulking about not being allowed to Defend). And [u]every hit incoming save for 1, did 246 damage[/u] regardless of which dragon was hit - because, in these early rounds, all the Scrapmetal Trackers can use is Scratch, which does Neutral damage. And that 1 exception was a critical, not an Elemental attack. Then, in Tracker round 4 - suddenly Mohala took a hit for over 400 damage (forgive me for not catching the rest of the number here, but I believe it was about double the Scratch damage above, based on Mohala's health bar), with no crit animation, but with a Mist Slash animation - finally, some incoming elemental melee damage! ....in Tracker round 4, which any of them are only ever going to live to see while the dragon team is initially building Breath, and/or if something has gone very, very wrong (looking at you, Dodge Fairy). Melee and caster bosses both do live long enough to deal some Elemental damage, yes, but melee bosses like both of GW's are are not going to be dealing very much of it except to a pretty suboptimal team, especially if purely grinding with a team of 3; a team of 2 is going to be feeling it a bit more. Elemental spellcaster enemies, meanwhile, CAN (though not always [i]do[/i]) unload a hefty chunk of Elemental spell damage on their* round 2, as they can Round 1 Meditate, Round 2 bring the thunder (or the water, or the whatever). [i]*specifying, because dragon attack turns and monster attack turns are not necessarily going to be 1:1[/i] TL;DR - Calculating the damage a dragon of whatever element is likely to take in a given venue is not as simple as adding up the number of creatures of each element in the venue and Job Done, even without considering the average frequency of appearance of every particular possible encounter group in said venue. When the people who nigh-obsessively keep up to date on Best Element (check whether a venue's creature selection has changed since a post was last updated), say certain elements are Best or Worst for a particular build type in a particular venue, I am pretty well inclined to believe they know what they are talking about. There [i]could[/i] be trouble if you are basing an Elemental [i]damage-dealing[/i] team on Best Fors calculated assuming your team will be dealing Neutral damage, of course. No smartmouth intended, I genuinely hope this is helpful (and hope it is by and large correct, I did try). I spent a few hours checking my work in real time in the Coliseum before making this post, not just going off what other people posted, to be Really Sure, but by the time I got to GW my already suboptimal eyes were tired, thus having more trouble catching exact numbers. I could sure see the difference of damage type on their health bars, though! And, sorry about the length, I thought actual examples from my confirming runs might be more helpful than generalizations! [emoji=nocturne happy size=1][emoji=gust size=1] [b][edit - fixed a paragraph where I merged 2 chunks of text and forgot to edit, so it no longer made any sense] [.....and made a couple of things clearer below!][/b] In addition, a team which is laid out unconscious on the floor does 0 damage, a team which cannot survive everything else in pretty good shape is not going to be fighting a lot of bosses anyway, especially in GW or Portal where the basic battles are already rougher on a team, and a team of 2 dragons leveling a trainee is at a disadvantage compared to a 3-dragon fighting team. A 2-dragon team leveling a trainee is most likely going to be aimed toward optimizing for the venue in general for XP and drops, not for defeating bosses, even though fighting bosses is still possible at least some of the times that they turn up. Boss damage type is relevant, yes, but if you want to [i]seriously[/i] hunt bosses there, as in be able to defeat them every single time they appear, you might want to bring a third actually useful dragon and leave the trainee at home. Getting to and beating GW bosses with a team of 2 dragons is often possible, I have done it, with a melee team, a caster team, and a team of 1 of each, using Fire or Wind or a mix of the two (and medium health potions, when running without a healer). I got some boss kills, just like Azakar could still be a 2-fodder trainer in Mire. A team does not HAVE to be exactly optimal to still work. But a team of 3 of Best Elements is still likely to do [i]better[/i]. Sometimes you have to pick your primary objective, just like using a 2-fodder trainer means, "Sure, you are sometimes going to be able to beat a boss in that area! And sometimes, probably rather often with bosses, the timing will stink or a crit or dodge will wreck you, and a boss or a normal encounter will kick your dragon's tail into a new postcode. That trainer sure can train 2 dragons at once, though!". [emoji=nocturne laughing size=1] [i]^I do not know of a viable 2FT for GW or Portal, and I found the Kelp Beds one too annoying to use, though others apparently do. Just in case that last bit made you wonder. It was a general reference to the difference between usable and optimal.[/i]
@/Fledhyris I am by no means an expert (so hey, if I get anything wrong, folks, please say so!), but I am going to take a flying guess based on my own experience at what your sticking point is, here.

First, Elemental strategy in Mire comes into play the most when using a 2-fodder trainer like I have always used there, barring a brief grindhunt for a particularly elusive toad familiar. This is because 1 trainer is more likely to take hits along the way than 2 would be. (Or, if bootstrapping an initial team, which is how I got started, using Oran [below] and my Wind progens as my team.)

My favorite reference point here is that Azakar, my Plague fighter, before his respec to be used in other areas, used to be my Mire trainer - on purpose, in spite of recommendations against using Plague there - and I was also using an old 2-hit build, rather than having enough STR for Rally-Eliminate 1-shotting things.

(That last part was just me not knowing about 1-hit Mire builds yet, because I was new and using an out-of-date guide.)

Azakar going from scarcely scratched to instantly annihilated in the space of one Brilliant Psywurm spellcast is a thing I just got used to, and it taught me a lot about when elemental damage is a factor or not, and why.

The thing is, "thing of element X does more or less damage to / takes more or less damage from, thing of element Y" does not apply when the thing in question is giving or taking Neutral damage. Neutral damage includes Scratch, Shred, Eliminate, Sap, Contuse spell, the general damage of Neutral (O) enemies - and the initial Breath-building attacks of elemental melee enemies.

So, yes, for example, a Sickle Kamaitachi in Mire is of the Fire element, but enemies in the Coliseum are always encountered at 0 initial Breath, which is why the first thing every caster in there does is Meditate.

How often does it live long enough to actually USE its Fire-elemental Slash, given that its first use requires just as much Breath-building as for a Scratch-based dragon using the same ability? It uses the same animation as for a dragon, too, a fiery swipe, so you would probably have noticed after being in that area for a while, whether they managed to use it on your team.*

*(Unless you have animations completely off, or any other relevant reason you could miss this.)

You probably only ever saw that animation when the Fire toad boss used it, though - and they have to build Breath first, too.

The same applies to every melee Elemental enemy, unless I am forgetting an exception. Even melee bosses like that toad (also see: both GW bosses) do their Elemental-based attacks only after doing enough Neutral attacks to build the necessary Breath.

Once they have it..... IF they get it.....

If you have ever run with a dragon equipped with a "Field Manual" stone, which lets you see the enemies' Breath bars - like when I put one on my Coli trainee for kicks while leveling them up - you also know that enemies making those special attacks or using spells, even when they miss, consumes Breath the same as with most Breath-using dragon attacks. Just like when an Eliminate is Dodged or does not finish off its target. So even bosses cannot just keep on using their elemental-whatever spell or attack indefinitely after building the breath for it once, be it by Meditate or by Scratch.

So - taking a test pass through Harpy's Roost with a team like this, Fire, Ice, and Lightning, all with identical stats which include DEF (melee defense) 5 and MND (spell defense) 5, and bribing my team to sit around and take hits....
65603329.png 65195701.png 67418284.png

.....The initial hits a trio of Windcarve Bladedancers (Wind , Melee) score against all 3 of these dragons, do the same damage, even though Wind Elemental attacks do better damage against Fire. Those initial attacks are Scratch (Neutral damage), not Gust Slash (Wind Melee).

Run into one of those Blue Tang Hippogriff casters with this team, and Mohala, the Lightning Pearlcatcher on the team, just laughs them off even if I futz about and let them Meditate, spellcast and hit him, and the grey numbers which pop up when their Shock Bolt hits show just how feeble Lightning damage is against a Lightning dragon, even if the sub-140-point damage number was not enough.

If they fire off a Shock instead, and its stun actually manages to stick, it is annoying, sure, but he is still pretty unlikely to die of Lightning hits while waiting for it to wear off.

The other two WILL take more damage from the Blue Tangs' spells, because those do Lightning damage. Oran, Ice Noc, will take the most, as Lightning does somewhat increased damage against Ice, while Odile, Fire, takes "neither boosted nor decreased" damage from Lightning unless his defense is artificially increased (such as by Defending).

Cardinal Hippogriffs, being Neutral, on the other hand, will do Contuse (Neutral) damage if they get off a spellcast (and be annoying, because Contuse includes a lingering damage debuff which always lands, causing a dragon to do less damage output until it wears off). All dragons having MND (spell defense) 5, Contuse will deal the same level of damage against all 3 dragons.

Meanwhile, Wind effects are rated Bad against Lightning (but not AS bad as Lightning vs. Lightning). The initial 3 hits by each Windcarve Bladedancer against Mohala are still the same as against either of the other dragons shown, even though they do not all share the same resistance to Wind damage either.

And odds are, if I was not literally sitting there letting them take their shots, none of a group of 3 of these enemies would ever live to DO any Wind damage, except in my initial combat encounter of building Breath, or if I am coming off of back-to-back bosses or had a nasty visit from the Dodge Fairy, as this team can annihilate anything in this venue once it has its one round to get rolling. A team of all 3 Meditate Melees is even smoother sailing, which is why it is my favored fest grinding team for everything below the Workshop. (I meant below Kelp Beds, but the fact Oran is also on my Kelp Beds team tripped me up.)

Outgoing damage is really simple here, as all 3 dragons only have Sap and Eliminate with which to deal damage, and both of these deal Neutral damage. Against each specific creature type, all 3 dragons using Eliminate will deal equivalent damage, same for Sap. Same for Scratch or Shred if they all had those stones. Only the creature's DEF or the dragon having Rally or landing a critical, makes any real difference here, as no Elemental damage is being dealt.

(Forget counting on crits btw. It has been calculated already that trying to run a crit build is a waste of breath, literally, unless you are messing about with a suboptimal team for kicks as I sometimes do.)

Tackle a team of 3 Brush Dodos (Water, Melee), for example, and all 3 dragons, if equipped with Scratch and none have Rally increasing their STR, would do 488 damage per Scratch to these enemies, unless they crit. Even though Odile is Fire (rated Bad against Water) and Oran is Ice (rated Best against Water). Because, again, no Elemental damage is being dealt in this scenario.

The Dodos hitting back will only do increased damage to the Fire dragon, or reduced damage to the Lightning dragon, if left alive long enough their Water-based attacks see any use, which requires a minimum of 4 combat rounds (3 to build breath + 1 to use the elemental ability).

Further complicating things - just because an elemental melee creature builds breath enough to use its Elemental attack, does not mean that it will. For example, the abilities of a Masked Harpy (Wind, Melee) are, Scratch, Shred, Gust Slash. Both Gust Slash and Shred require building enough Breath to use. So, I let one sit around clawing up my team until it built enough Breath to use a special. It used Shred - Neutral damage (the initial hit and the bleed).

I did the same again, and it used Shred again. It could, in theory, have used an Elemental Wind attack, but I got bored and mashed it before it ever did.

Elemental spellcasters, on the other hand, ONLY have Elemental damage-dealing abilities, and Meditate to build the Breath to use them. So when they get done Meditating and unload that Breath on your team, any damage which lands WILL be of the creature's element; how much damage depends on your dragon's MND score, your dragon's element, whether they are Defending (or Guarding or Anticipating) or not, and whether the spell happens to crit.

So, you can see why one of those Brilliant Psywurms from Mire critting a cast on my glass cannon Plague trainer was an instant YOU DIED for that dragon, and why even a non-crit at anything but full health was just as lethal. Lower negative protection against an element is LESS dramatic, but is still going to make a deeper dent than if the dragon was middle of the road or resistant.

But none of this has specifically to do with Golem Workshop, a venue where this team would actually have to work for a win. So, let us take a jaunt on over to Odile's hunting ground of choice, with this same team.

(On the way there, Mohala and Oran will be swapping out their usual grindteam Meditate for Scratch, which Odile already has, for demo purposes. Neither dragon is happy about this, especially Mohala. But, FOR SCIENCE!, they soldier on.)

(Also, how about I get a stack of health potions out of the vault, as sitting around intentionally taking hits for science is going to h u r t, no matter the damage types being done.)

Right off the mark, my team encountered 2 Mechanical Destroyers (Melee, Neutral). Nothing to see here, as my dragons were taking only Neutral damage, and dealing only Neutral damage against Neutral creatures, but a good start to build some Breath on.

The very next battle was 3 of those Scrapmetal Trackers (Shadow, melee) you mentioned.

Shadow damage is Best against Ice (Oran), Good against Fire (Odile), and has no modifier either way against Lightning (Mohala). So, if not for everything I just explained, this team should be quaking in their nonexistent boots.

In the first 3 rounds of Tracker attacks, the Scrapmetal Trackers landed multiple hits on all 3 dragons (who, once buffed, sat there chugging health potions and sulking about not being allowed to Defend). And every hit incoming save for 1, did 246 damage regardless of which dragon was hit - because, in these early rounds, all the Scrapmetal Trackers can use is Scratch, which does Neutral damage. And that 1 exception was a critical, not an Elemental attack.

Then, in Tracker round 4 - suddenly Mohala took a hit for over 400 damage (forgive me for not catching the rest of the number here, but I believe it was about double the Scratch damage above, based on Mohala's health bar), with no crit animation, but with a Mist Slash animation - finally, some incoming elemental melee damage!

....in Tracker round 4, which any of them are only ever going to live to see while the dragon team is initially building Breath, and/or if something has gone very, very wrong (looking at you, Dodge Fairy).

Melee and caster bosses both do live long enough to deal some Elemental damage, yes, but melee bosses like both of GW's are are not going to be dealing very much of it except to a pretty suboptimal team, especially if purely grinding with a team of 3; a team of 2 is going to be feeling it a bit more. Elemental spellcaster enemies, meanwhile, CAN (though not always do) unload a hefty chunk of Elemental spell damage on their* round 2, as they can Round 1 Meditate, Round 2 bring the thunder (or the water, or the whatever).

*specifying, because dragon attack turns and monster attack turns are not necessarily going to be 1:1

TL;DR - Calculating the damage a dragon of whatever element is likely to take in a given venue is not as simple as adding up the number of creatures of each element in the venue and Job Done, even without considering the average frequency of appearance of every particular possible encounter group in said venue.

When the people who nigh-obsessively keep up to date on Best Element (check whether a venue's creature selection has changed since a post was last updated), say certain elements are Best or Worst for a particular build type in a particular venue, I am pretty well inclined to believe they know what they are talking about. There could be trouble if you are basing an Elemental damage-dealing team on Best Fors calculated assuming your team will be dealing Neutral damage, of course.

No smartmouth intended, I genuinely hope this is helpful (and hope it is by and large correct, I did try). I spent a few hours checking my work in real time in the Coliseum before making this post, not just going off what other people posted, to be Really Sure, but by the time I got to GW my already suboptimal eyes were tired, thus having more trouble catching exact numbers. I could sure see the difference of damage type on their health bars, though!

And, sorry about the length, I thought actual examples from my confirming runs might be more helpful than generalizations!

[edit - fixed a paragraph where I merged 2 chunks of text and forgot to edit, so it no longer made any sense]

[.....and made a couple of things clearer below!]

In addition, a team which is laid out unconscious on the floor does 0 damage, a team which cannot survive everything else in pretty good shape is not going to be fighting a lot of bosses anyway, especially in GW or Portal where the basic battles are already rougher on a team, and a team of 2 dragons leveling a trainee is at a disadvantage compared to a 3-dragon fighting team.

A 2-dragon team leveling a trainee is most likely going to be aimed toward optimizing for the venue in general for XP and drops, not for defeating bosses, even though fighting bosses is still possible at least some of the times that they turn up.
Boss damage type is relevant, yes, but if you want to seriously hunt bosses there, as in be able to defeat them every single time they appear, you might want to bring a third actually useful dragon and leave the trainee at home.

Getting to and beating GW bosses with a team of 2 dragons is often possible, I have done it, with a melee team, a caster team, and a team of 1 of each, using Fire or Wind or a mix of the two (and medium health potions, when running without a healer). I got some boss kills, just like Azakar could still be a 2-fodder trainer in Mire. A team does not HAVE to be exactly optimal to still work.

But a team of 3 of Best Elements is still likely to do better.

Sometimes you have to pick your primary objective, just like using a 2-fodder trainer means, "Sure, you are sometimes going to be able to beat a boss in that area! And sometimes, probably rather often with bosses, the timing will stink or a crit or dodge will wreck you, and a boss or a normal encounter will kick your dragon's tail into a new postcode. That trainer sure can train 2 dragons at once, though!".

^I do not know of a viable 2FT for GW or Portal, and I found the Kelp Beds one too annoying to use, though others apparently do. Just in case that last bit made you wonder. It was a general reference to the difference between usable and optimal.
This was very helpful, even to someone like me who's been here for years. Thanks!
This was very helpful, even to someone like me who's been here for years. Thanks!
th72tUi.png tumblr_ojpzfkodsb1u8m70ho5_r1_100.pngtumblr_njw2bk1eZi1unlpe2o1_100.pngnV0BWDQ.gif
To add on to what williwawwarden wrote, both of the builds listed in Maki's guide for the Golem Workshop (farming build and training build) include a mage. That mage provides more then enough healing to easily take down bosses, even on the opening battle.

Additionally, it is worth mentioning again that that second build was designed to train a fodder dragon, while still being able to meet the challenges of the Golem Workshop, and later adapted to also include the Forbidden Portal. You can absolutely train fodder in these zones.

To answer @Fledhyris's initial question, with the builds in Maki's guide, you should be fine with basically any elements in the Golem Workshop. With Aid and Sap providing healing, you are usually at or near full health. Here, optimizing the elements provides a slight reduction in chip damage and helps protect you from very rare one-shots (specifically: super-effective critical hits). Personally, I use Plague and have not had any real issues.

As williwawwarden said, the element only matters for elemental damage, which practically only comes from Elemental Bolts from casters and Elemental Slashes or Bolts from bosses. So, picking the best element is usually as easy as counting the casters and bosses to find the element that suffers the least super effective damage, while proving the most resistances. That is what the percentages are referencing in Maki's post for the farming build.

In the case of the Golem Workshop, both Fire and Nature are weak to two casters and a boss each while resisting two casters each. For comparison, Light is weak to four casters and resists two. And Plague is weak to a boss and four casters with no beneficial resistances at all here. You encounter more casters than bosses, so trading two weaknesses against casters (Light) for one against a Boss (Fire or Nature) could be a small improvement. But again, it only a very marginal one.

I would also add that if you want to avoid being one shot, you could also consider Earth, Ice, or Wind on the caster as optimal to protect against a super-effective slash crit from a boss. Each of those elements is weak to three casters while resisting two and a boss. (I went into this further here.)

I'll close by saying once more, with a healing mage on the team, you can run basically any element at all. Have fun battling in these zones!

To add on to what williwawwarden wrote, both of the builds listed in Maki's guide for the Golem Workshop (farming build and training build) include a mage. That mage provides more then enough healing to easily take down bosses, even on the opening battle.

Additionally, it is worth mentioning again that that second build was designed to train a fodder dragon, while still being able to meet the challenges of the Golem Workshop, and later adapted to also include the Forbidden Portal. You can absolutely train fodder in these zones.

To answer @Fledhyris's initial question, with the builds in Maki's guide, you should be fine with basically any elements in the Golem Workshop. With Aid and Sap providing healing, you are usually at or near full health. Here, optimizing the elements provides a slight reduction in chip damage and helps protect you from very rare one-shots (specifically: super-effective critical hits). Personally, I use Plague and have not had any real issues.

As williwawwarden said, the element only matters for elemental damage, which practically only comes from Elemental Bolts from casters and Elemental Slashes or Bolts from bosses. So, picking the best element is usually as easy as counting the casters and bosses to find the element that suffers the least super effective damage, while proving the most resistances. That is what the percentages are referencing in Maki's post for the farming build.

In the case of the Golem Workshop, both Fire and Nature are weak to two casters and a boss each while resisting two casters each. For comparison, Light is weak to four casters and resists two. And Plague is weak to a boss and four casters with no beneficial resistances at all here. You encounter more casters than bosses, so trading two weaknesses against casters (Light) for one against a Boss (Fire or Nature) could be a small improvement. But again, it only a very marginal one.

I would also add that if you want to avoid being one shot, you could also consider Earth, Ice, or Wind on the caster as optimal to protect against a super-effective slash crit from a boss. Each of those elements is weak to three casters while resisting two and a boss. (I went into this further here.)

I'll close by saying once more, with a healing mage on the team, you can run basically any element at all. Have fun battling in these zones!

@RageAsylum Thanks muchly for adding a proper breakdown of relevant resists! Mixed melee/caster groups of 4 are part of the 'more complicated' I was thinking of; the casters which can appear in them get more weight in my threat assessment. But I might be overthinking it. And, fair, about taking on bosses with that trainer set. To me, using only two battle-ready dragons there is indeed perfectly doable but feels slow. When I go into either Portal or GW, I want to wreck shop as hard as possible - but this is partly because these have the only boss familiars I still need, and I am being stubborn about drop-or-nothing. [emoji=nocturne laughing size=1] So your perspective on that is probably more generally useful than mine! [edit - posting while tired]
@RageAsylum Thanks muchly for adding a proper breakdown of relevant resists! Mixed melee/caster groups of 4 are part of the 'more complicated' I was thinking of; the casters which can appear in them get more weight in my threat assessment. But I might be overthinking it.

And, fair, about taking on bosses with that trainer set. To me, using only two battle-ready dragons there is indeed perfectly doable but feels slow. When I go into either Portal or GW, I want to wreck shop as hard as possible - but this is partly because these have the only boss familiars I still need, and I am being stubborn about drop-or-nothing. So your perspective on that is probably more generally useful than mine!

[edit - posting while tired]
@williwawwarden and @RageAsylum

Thank you both so much for your in-depth advice, especially Williwawwarden's detail and scientific testing! That's an excellent demonstration that elemental attacks are only in literal magic. I always assumed they applied to *all* attacks by that enemy (or dragon). It explains a lot (like why my Arcane monks don't crit against/from Lightning or Nature particularly more than anything else), and shows that for a purely physical fighter, as long as you don't have to take too many magical hits, elemental alignment matters a lot less than the charts make out. Sure, they may be optimal, but all I'm looking for is feasible. As long as I have a mage to heal those hits, I can use my Light progen battle commander as I wanted, and spec him for GW/FP, yay!

To be clear, I'm not looking to smash the lvl 25 venues the way I do the Mire or lower. I just want a decent chance to experience them and grab my own hibden ingredients, without being annihiliated, karmic justice though that may be. I've spent long enough in the Mire, but still never had anything more interesting drop than a couple of genes, that I have zero expectations of ever getting my own boss fam from GW or FP (or indeed anywhere). The Coli despises me for a button pusher with no practical experience, I fear! My Mire team is the best, and does not fear even molten war toads*, but my only contribution was to copy the trainer and then tweak both of them for the updated tougher mobs (armadillos and catfish) - and I found the tweaks from someone else, too. I will keep them for fast training purposes, and would not dare approach lvl 25 without a three dragon team.

*Honestly I never realised the toads were casters LOL - I kill them before they've generated enough breath. That's not boasting, because that's all down to other people's carefully honed strategy and stats; I just click and annihilate. Honestly it can get a little boring, not to mention making me feel guilty as I roll through venues like dragon Armageddon, and it does nothing in terms of practical instruction. I do have a vague memory of being hit by Psywurms while 2F training (and running from toads!) but it was a long time ago now, and probably shoved into the deep, dark denial corner of my mind. With a 2 monk team they simply never get a chance to cast. I did try levelling up a team from scratch through all the venues, just for the fun and to earn my coli credentials, but that got overshadowed by the needs of training and grinding.

I did (and still do) wonder if the monks would hold their own in lvl 25 if supported by a mage, but suspect they are not strong enough, and I don't want to jinx their Mire optimization by taking points from QCK or even VIT to boost their STR. I can build a new team though, headed by Maldaviant, the progen commander (in lore) of my lair, and if he's not quite perfect for the job, it sounds as though he will still see plenty of victories - and the defeats will only serve for experience and battlescars! He sounds a lot like Azakar (except for the being revived from death part) and is also a Mirror :D

Sorry it's taken a while to reply to this, I got distracted by looking through williwawwarden's amazing lair and falling down lore rabbitholes. Special thanks to your battle-wizened team, btw, for swapping out to Scratch and standing around to take hits to demonstrate what enemies are capable of if given half a chance! I appreciate their forbearance *g*. In the name of Battle Science! Maldaviant wholeheartedly approves, it's what he exists for although he's never had the chance to demonstrate in game (yet).

I can appreciate (thanks to your detailed explanation) why Psywurms were so lethal to Azakar, but I love that you used him anyway, for lore reasons; and he still battled through even though you'll have had to expend a bit more time and energy. A grizzled veteran indeed, he bears his scars with pride!
@williwawwarden and @RageAsylum

Thank you both so much for your in-depth advice, especially Williwawwarden's detail and scientific testing! That's an excellent demonstration that elemental attacks are only in literal magic. I always assumed they applied to *all* attacks by that enemy (or dragon). It explains a lot (like why my Arcane monks don't crit against/from Lightning or Nature particularly more than anything else), and shows that for a purely physical fighter, as long as you don't have to take too many magical hits, elemental alignment matters a lot less than the charts make out. Sure, they may be optimal, but all I'm looking for is feasible. As long as I have a mage to heal those hits, I can use my Light progen battle commander as I wanted, and spec him for GW/FP, yay!

To be clear, I'm not looking to smash the lvl 25 venues the way I do the Mire or lower. I just want a decent chance to experience them and grab my own hibden ingredients, without being annihiliated, karmic justice though that may be. I've spent long enough in the Mire, but still never had anything more interesting drop than a couple of genes, that I have zero expectations of ever getting my own boss fam from GW or FP (or indeed anywhere). The Coli despises me for a button pusher with no practical experience, I fear! My Mire team is the best, and does not fear even molten war toads*, but my only contribution was to copy the trainer and then tweak both of them for the updated tougher mobs (armadillos and catfish) - and I found the tweaks from someone else, too. I will keep them for fast training purposes, and would not dare approach lvl 25 without a three dragon team.

*Honestly I never realised the toads were casters LOL - I kill them before they've generated enough breath. That's not boasting, because that's all down to other people's carefully honed strategy and stats; I just click and annihilate. Honestly it can get a little boring, not to mention making me feel guilty as I roll through venues like dragon Armageddon, and it does nothing in terms of practical instruction. I do have a vague memory of being hit by Psywurms while 2F training (and running from toads!) but it was a long time ago now, and probably shoved into the deep, dark denial corner of my mind. With a 2 monk team they simply never get a chance to cast. I did try levelling up a team from scratch through all the venues, just for the fun and to earn my coli credentials, but that got overshadowed by the needs of training and grinding.

I did (and still do) wonder if the monks would hold their own in lvl 25 if supported by a mage, but suspect they are not strong enough, and I don't want to jinx their Mire optimization by taking points from QCK or even VIT to boost their STR. I can build a new team though, headed by Maldaviant, the progen commander (in lore) of my lair, and if he's not quite perfect for the job, it sounds as though he will still see plenty of victories - and the defeats will only serve for experience and battlescars! He sounds a lot like Azakar (except for the being revived from death part) and is also a Mirror :D

Sorry it's taken a while to reply to this, I got distracted by looking through williwawwarden's amazing lair and falling down lore rabbitholes. Special thanks to your battle-wizened team, btw, for swapping out to Scratch and standing around to take hits to demonstrate what enemies are capable of if given half a chance! I appreciate their forbearance *g*. In the name of Battle Science! Maldaviant wholeheartedly approves, it's what he exists for although he's never had the chance to demonstrate in game (yet).

I can appreciate (thanks to your detailed explanation) why Psywurms were so lethal to Azakar, but I love that you used him anyway, for lore reasons; and he still battled through even though you'll have had to expend a bit more time and energy. A grizzled veteran indeed, he bears his scars with pride!
CTF4up6.png
@Fledhyris The FR wiki does sort of vaguely seem to suggest that [i]any[/i] attack by a dragon or creature of a certain element does increased/decreased damage based on element, so if that is where you got that idea you are not alone. As a newbie initially not on the forums, it confused me for a while. Grinding for Eliminates rather than buying them ended up helping me there, as using only Scratch + elemental slash/spell attacks and Shred or Contuse, meant I went 'why are the numbers against Wind things never gray and poop with Contuse, Scratch or Shred?', until I figured it out and started looking up guides. Where I then messed up [i]differently[/i] by not checking Last Editeds of said guides, but, you know. Baby steps/wingflaps.[emoji=nocturne tongue size=1] (I am going to toss the rest into a PM so as not to derail, as it is more commentative than thread-worthy. But, thank you for the lair/dragon compliments! Guess what a lot of my motivation for getting into the Coliseum has been. [emoji=nocturne laughing size=1] #FashionScales)
@Fledhyris The FR wiki does sort of vaguely seem to suggest that any attack by a dragon or creature of a certain element does increased/decreased damage based on element, so if that is where you got that idea you are not alone. As a newbie initially not on the forums, it confused me for a while.

Grinding for Eliminates rather than buying them ended up helping me there, as using only Scratch + elemental slash/spell attacks and Shred or Contuse, meant I went 'why are the numbers against Wind things never gray and poop with Contuse, Scratch or Shred?', until I figured it out and started looking up guides.

Where I then messed up differently by not checking Last Editeds of said guides, but, you know. Baby steps/wingflaps.

(I am going to toss the rest into a PM so as not to derail, as it is more commentative than thread-worthy. But, thank you for the lair/dragon compliments! Guess what a lot of my motivation for getting into the Coliseum has been. #FashionScales)
@williwawwarden Yes, that is very likely where I came by the assumption - that, and I think most build guides take it so much for granted that they don't explicitly explain!

I came at the coli from the opposite end, so to speak - I may have been here for 9 years but my first attempts were so dispiriting I basically ignored it for most of that time, and it wasn't until I borrowed a friend's Mire Monk that I was able to get into it. It's still not my ideal way to spend time - I doubt it's anyone's, but I'm hopeless at multi tasking, so when I'm in the coli that's literally all I can do, which gets old fast. I don't mind resets and such if I'm just exploring, but there's no way I could train without my ninja Mire Monks, it would drive me insane! I'll take slowly grinding away at level 25, since I can grind everywhere else with them for profit, and the lore (and just being able to fight there at all) is more important to me than making my fortune on the AH with boss drops!
@williwawwarden Yes, that is very likely where I came by the assumption - that, and I think most build guides take it so much for granted that they don't explicitly explain!

I came at the coli from the opposite end, so to speak - I may have been here for 9 years but my first attempts were so dispiriting I basically ignored it for most of that time, and it wasn't until I borrowed a friend's Mire Monk that I was able to get into it. It's still not my ideal way to spend time - I doubt it's anyone's, but I'm hopeless at multi tasking, so when I'm in the coli that's literally all I can do, which gets old fast. I don't mind resets and such if I'm just exploring, but there's no way I could train without my ninja Mire Monks, it would drive me insane! I'll take slowly grinding away at level 25, since I can grind everywhere else with them for profit, and the lore (and just being able to fight there at all) is more important to me than making my fortune on the AH with boss drops!
CTF4up6.png
[quote name="Maki" date="2019-01-11 11:14:00" ] [center][img]http://flightrising.com/content/battle/images/venues/mire/_thumbnail.png[/img] 120 STR / 62 QCK / 30 VIT (Arcane) [size=2]Rally Eliminate: all except bosses[/size][/center] [center][size=4][b]Mire trainer[/b][/size][/center] [/quote] I'm not understanding how to get these stats? When I try and fill out 120 str it only leaves enough to give them 19qck, no where near 62, let alone anything into vit? Is it breed related? Or am I missing something? I have a hard time reading a wall of words so if there's a quick and easy explanation? here's how my stats look? [img]https://i.imgur.com/HPMTUbs.png[/img]
Maki wrote on 2019-01-11 11:14:00:
_thumbnail.png

120 STR / 62 QCK / 30 VIT (Arcane)
Rally Eliminate: all except bosses

Mire trainer

I'm not understanding how to get these stats? When I try and fill out 120 str it only leaves enough to give them 19qck, no where near 62, let alone anything into vit? Is it breed related? Or am I missing something? I have a hard time reading a wall of words so if there's a quick and easy explanation?

here's how my stats look?

HPMTUbs.png
BQc0zeB.png TtwDY9f.png 3tb5M5M.png
@Brixart
1. Use a Tincture of Dissolution after reaching 25 but before assigning stats, OR, if you already did, to reset the assigned stat points and start again. Tincturing sets all of a dragon's stats to 5, refunding the points they start with already assigned based on dragon species.
So you get more to spend how you like on a tinctured than on an untinctured dragon - even though their stat point pools are exactly the same.

2. Apply the target build's battlestones before raising stats. Battlestones such as Berserker will raise some stats, those are counted into the final total goal for a build. It is easier not to whoops it if you do it in that order.
@Brixart
1. Use a Tincture of Dissolution after reaching 25 but before assigning stats, OR, if you already did, to reset the assigned stat points and start again. Tincturing sets all of a dragon's stats to 5, refunding the points they start with already assigned based on dragon species.
So you get more to spend how you like on a tinctured than on an untinctured dragon - even though their stat point pools are exactly the same.

2. Apply the target build's battlestones before raising stats. Battlestones such as Berserker will raise some stats, those are counted into the final total goal for a build. It is easier not to whoops it if you do it in that order.
1 2 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65