Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Evolutionary History Discussion
1 2

Project time woohoo!!!

I was recently inspired by this "Wait, are all FR dragon even reptiles?" thread (and historically also Natron's "Someone stop me" and "Science of Sornieth" threads)... and started asking questions. The biggest question being:

Where do Sornieth's dragons fit in a hypothetical taxonomic group?

I'll be comparing features of specific dragon breeds to similar features seen in our own biota (which I know is a bit silly... because for one, Sornieth is very obviously not Earth, but at the same time, how might we compare things that are unbeknownst to us?) in the thread linked at the top, so go ahead and check it out!

Also I am very aware that lore-wise, dragons are not evolutionary whatsoever, as they were spontaneously created by the deities. In short, this thread is for fun & for my own entertainment lol

Anyways, please share your creative ideas! I love conversating about worldbuilding and everything of the sort!!

If you're interested in getting pings for updated
taxonomic groups, ideas, evolutionary charts, or
even art, go ahead and add yourself below!

Project time woohoo!!!

I was recently inspired by this "Wait, are all FR dragon even reptiles?" thread (and historically also Natron's "Someone stop me" and "Science of Sornieth" threads)... and started asking questions. The biggest question being:

Where do Sornieth's dragons fit in a hypothetical taxonomic group?

I'll be comparing features of specific dragon breeds to similar features seen in our own biota (which I know is a bit silly... because for one, Sornieth is very obviously not Earth, but at the same time, how might we compare things that are unbeknownst to us?) in the thread linked at the top, so go ahead and check it out!

Also I am very aware that lore-wise, dragons are not evolutionary whatsoever, as they were spontaneously created by the deities. In short, this thread is for fun & for my own entertainment lol

Anyways, please share your creative ideas! I love conversating about worldbuilding and everything of the sort!!

If you're interested in getting pings for updated
taxonomic groups, ideas, evolutionary charts, or
even art, go ahead and add yourself below!

bopkvX7.png6uOrxEk.pnglPoxjfq.pngI90HedT.png4BDFKZ4.png
res/open!
res/open!
GAAHHHH thank you for the shoutout, I am very excited to see which direction this will go in!!
GAAHHHH thank you for the shoutout, I am very excited to see which direction this will go in!!
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
[font=american gothic][size=4]As a proponent of radical dragon anarchy who needs to get my weirf dragon skeletons out of the art pit, you have my attention [emoji=special eyes size=1]
As a proponent of radical dragon anarchy who needs to get my weirf dragon skeletons out of the art pit, you have my attention
Call me Requacy (Pinging Allowed!)(Note to self: Make art for signature)
@Natron @Requacy hello...... [emoji=special eyes size=1] welcome to the chaos
@Natron @Requacy hello...... welcome to the chaos
I have arrived and I brought popcorn!

My own personal head cannon is that most dragon species came about through convergent evolution :>
(although I suppose that dragons from the same elemental region would be divergently evolved from some common ancestor, perhaps the elemental Ancient)
I have arrived and I brought popcorn!

My own personal head cannon is that most dragon species came about through convergent evolution :>
(although I suppose that dragons from the same elemental region would be divergently evolved from some common ancestor, perhaps the elemental Ancient)
bulbasaur.gif
| Mar ||
- They/them
- FR +3
- skin shop
Accent: Rex Sol Accent: Paradise Harvest
omg i'm glad i did some idle curious browsing [emoji=special eyes size=1] hello again. @requacy as a matter of fact the main reason I made that original thread was to try to get a better reference for drawing dragon skeletons lol. so i agree you do need to get them out /lh in this particular case i'm drawing a pearlcatcher. horse body is a given but I wanted to do a more reptile skull? not sure if that's quite feasible, i do not yet know a ton about the inner workings of animals (keyword yet....)
omg i'm glad i did some idle curious browsing hello again.

@requacy as a matter of fact the main reason I made that original thread was to try to get a better reference for drawing dragon skeletons lol. so i agree you do need to get them out /lh

in this particular case i'm drawing a pearlcatcher. horse body is a given but I wanted to do a more reptile skull? not sure if that's quite feasible, i do not yet know a ton about the inner workings of animals (keyword yet....)
Accent: Crocodile Friend!! Buy 'Accent:
Crocodile Friend!!'
here!
cVPo4yi.png
o9yS1eq.png
r8v91MH.png
8GgdVkW.png
njCJq66.png
bYt72YT.png
A badge of a sturgeon gardener for Water's Aqua Garden push in 2024. Art by Dovalore A badge of a Sewer Toridae with a tiger lily flower crown on its head. Obtained through a WaterDom grab bag event for LEAP 2024. Art by FirozTaverbi
@CosmicHurricane

I shall! I unfortunately broke my drawing tablet so unfortunately I'm waiting for it to be repaired because it's not even usable right now :c I'm gonna see if I can redraw from memory today or tomorrow on paper, though!
@CosmicHurricane

I shall! I unfortunately broke my drawing tablet so unfortunately I'm waiting for it to be repaired because it's not even usable right now :c I'm gonna see if I can redraw from memory today or tomorrow on paper, though!
Call me Requacy (Pinging Allowed!)(Note to self: Make art for signature)
@CosmicHurricane I know you pinged Req but I gotta say somethin!!!!!! As far as the horse-like body goes, let me put you on these guys: [quote] Arctocyon; an ungulate (horse relative) with a bear/dog-like skul. Though the skull structure is probably not what you want, Arctocyon was also an omnivore (just like Pearlcatchers) and they had keratin toesies [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/da/Arctocyon_DB.jpg[/img]
@CosmicHurricane I know you pinged Req but I gotta say somethin!!!!!!

As far as the horse-like body goes, let me put you on these guys:
Quote:
Arctocyon; an ungulate (horse relative) with a bear/dog-like skul. Though the skull structure is probably not what you want, Arctocyon was also an omnivore (just like Pearlcatchers) and they had keratin toesies

Arctocyon_DB.jpg
@Marram Yes!!! Convergence!!

The only personal issue, for lack of a better word, I have with convergent evolution in this scenario is that they won't all be taxonomically dragons. Which might be silly considering (or example) we call marsupial moles moles, even though they aren't...

Pseudo-dragons was another idea of mine, which is a similar concept albeit still relative to the whole convergence thing
@Marram Yes!!! Convergence!!

The only personal issue, for lack of a better word, I have with convergent evolution in this scenario is that they won't all be taxonomically dragons. Which might be silly considering (or example) we call marsupial moles moles, even though they aren't...

Pseudo-dragons was another idea of mine, which is a similar concept albeit still relative to the whole convergence thing
1 2