Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Evolutionary History of Dragons / DNP
[center]--> [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/3324792/1#post_3324792][b]Link to Evolutionary History Discussion Thread[/b][/url] <--[/center] Hello & welcome! I'll keep this simple. This first post will just be for general ideas & notes about evolutionary sciences and how it would relate to Sornieth :) Reminder - please use the discussion thread to post your ideas! [b][size=5]GENERAL[/b] [list][*][url=https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/brv.12118][u]Pelvic and reproductive structures in placoderms (stem gnathostomes)[/u][/url] [list][*][quote](article)[i]Within this expanded zone, we suggest that clasper position relative to the pelvic fins was determined by genes responsible for limb position.[/quote] In summary, an alternate evolutionary route of independently developed claspers is possibly related to the idea of hexapod (six-limbed) animals. [/list][/list] ----- Really poorly done phylogenetic tree: [img]https://i.imgur.com/jFacs3E.png[/img]

Hello & welcome! I'll keep this simple. This first post will just be for general ideas & notes about evolutionary sciences and how it would relate to Sornieth :)

Reminder - please use the discussion thread to post your ideas!

GENERAL
  • Pelvic and reproductive structures in placoderms (stem gnathostomes)
    • Quote:
      (article)Within this expanded zone, we suggest that clasper position relative to the pelvic fins was determined by genes responsible for limb position.
      In summary, an alternate evolutionary route of independently developed claspers is possibly related to the idea of hexapod (six-limbed) animals.

Really poorly done phylogenetic tree:
jFacs3E.png
bopkvX7.png6uOrxEk.pnglPoxjfq.pngI90HedT.png4BDFKZ4.png
[size=5][b]Guardians[/b][/size] Characteristics: - finned on the ventral side of the body, as well as at the elbows, ankles, and cheeks, that can also be stiff or collapsed (like ray-finned fish), but are somehow so stiff when flared that they may be proficiently durable armor in combat - 4 toes on each hand/foot - wings have 3 fingers at the hand and 2 at the "elbow"?? - crocodilian-like skull structure - males grow a beard of sorts - can breathe underwater (but only water element?) *best compared to ?? [list][*][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1327998/148#post_14209870][u]Aequorin reply about Guardians & water elemental dragon being able to breathe water due to Tidelord's magic[/u][/url] [list][*][quote](player question) [i]I'm not sure if this has already been asked but do Guardians have any gills of some sort for breathing underwater? Since they were created by the Tidelord I would assume that they'd be given some sort of attribute like that or am I totally wrong here?[/i][/quote] [i]"Guardians with a water elemental affinity may be born with gills; however, this is purely lore-only, as the graphics of your dragon will not change without equipping apparel."[/i] [*][quote](player question) [i]Can the Tidelord grant swimming abilities? Or will Snappers just sink no matter what?[/i][/quote] [i]"Water flight dragons do gain a serious boon in their aquatic prowess from their patron deity, be it in swimming, fishing, or water-breathing!"[/i] [/list] [*]Guardians (in the embryonic stage, or perhaps [i]all[/i] dragons aside from Undertides) have gill slits, and whether or not a Guardian is a water element determines the development of external or vestigial gills [list][*][url=https://news.berkeley.edu/2015/11/19/acorn-worm-genome-reveals-gill-origins-of-human-pharynx#:~:text=Humans%20and%20other%20terrestrial%20vertebrates,and%20rarely%20persist%20in%20infants.][u]Acorn worm genome reveals gill origins of human pharynx[/u][/url] [*][url=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5344677/][u]The origin of vertebrae gills[/u][/url] [/list] [*]The [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_lungfish][u]Australian lungfish[/u][/url]'s respitory system consists of both a dorsal lung [i]and[/i] gills, which is unique to it's species [list][*][i]"A distinctive characteristic of the Australian lungfish is the presence of a single dorsal lung, used to supplement the oxygen supply through the gills."[/i] [*][i]"Unlike the South American and African lungfishes, the Australian species has gills on all the first four gill arches, while the fifth arch bears a hemibranch"[/i] (a hemibranch is a gill with a single series of filaments; or half of a normal gill) [*][i]"It is also the only facultative air breather lungfish species, only breathing air when oxygen in the water is not sufficient to meet their needs."[/i]
Guardians

Characteristics:
- finned on the ventral side of the body, as well as at the elbows, ankles, and cheeks, that can also be stiff or collapsed (like ray-finned fish), but are somehow so stiff when flared that they may be proficiently durable armor in combat
- 4 toes on each hand/foot
- wings have 3 fingers at the hand and 2 at the "elbow"??
- crocodilian-like skull structure
- males grow a beard of sorts
- can breathe underwater (but only water element?)

*best compared to ??

• Aequorin reply about Guardians & water elemental dragon being able to breathe water due to Tidelord's magic
    • Quote:
      (player question) I'm not sure if this has already been asked but do Guardians have any gills of some sort for breathing underwater? Since they were created by the Tidelord I would assume that they'd be given some sort of attribute like that or am I totally wrong here?
      "Guardians with a water elemental affinity may be born with gills; however, this is purely lore-only, as the graphics of your dragon will not change without equipping apparel."
    • Quote:
      (player question) Can the Tidelord grant swimming abilities? Or will Snappers just sink no matter what?
      "Water flight dragons do gain a serious boon in their aquatic prowess from their patron deity, be it in swimming, fishing, or water-breathing!"
  • Guardians (in the embryonic stage, or perhaps all dragons aside from Undertides) have gill slits, and whether or not a Guardian is a water element determines the development of external or vestigial gills
  • The Australian lungfish's respitory system consists of both a dorsal lung and gills, which is unique to it's species
    • "A distinctive characteristic of the Australian lungfish is the presence of a single dorsal lung, used to supplement the oxygen supply through the gills."
    • "Unlike the South American and African lungfishes, the Australian species has gills on all the first four gill arches, while the fifth arch bears a hemibranch" (a hemibranch is a gill with a single series of filaments; or half of a normal gill)
    • "It is also the only facultative air breather lungfish species, only breathing air when oxygen in the water is not sufficient to meet their needs."
[size=5][b]Fae[/b][/size] Characteristics: - oh my god I can't do this anymore - long neck & tails - they have 2 sets of frills/fins on their head & cheeks - 2 fingers and 4 toes - 5-fingered wings with like... idk how to even explain the ends - big eyes (likely nocturnal) - crests have a great range & movement and may [i]change color!?[/i] *best compared to colugos, tarsiers, lemuriformes [list][*][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1327998/148#post_14209870][u]Aequorin reply about Fae crests being able to change colors[/u][/url] [list][*][quote](player question) [i]How exactly do faes show emotion on their crest? Like, do they change color or move up and down?[/quote] [i]"All of the above. The crests can extend or flatten, rotate, flick, ripple, quiver, and very slightly change color."[/i]
Fae

Characteristics:
- oh my god I can't do this anymore
- long neck & tails
- they have 2 sets of frills/fins on their head & cheeks
- 2 fingers and 4 toes
- 5-fingered wings with like... idk how to even explain the ends
- big eyes (likely nocturnal)
- crests have a great range & movement and may change color!?

*best compared to colugos, tarsiers, lemuriformes

• Aequorin reply about Fae crests being able to change colors
    • Quote:
      (player question) How exactly do faes show emotion on their crest? Like, do they change color or move up and down?
      "All of the above. The crests can extend or flatten, rotate, flick, ripple, quiver, and very slightly change color."
Mirror

Characteristics:
- very athletic & combat proficient body (fast, agile, with lots of stamina)
- their face has an armored-mask like bit
- has fin-like adornments on the head and elbows
- 4 fingers/toes
- secondary set of eyes detect heat signatures

*best compared to cheetahs, spotted hyena/cave hyena, machairodontinae, mesoynx, and wolves
Mirror

Characteristics:
- very athletic & combat proficient body (fast, agile, with lots of stamina)
- their face has an armored-mask like bit
- has fin-like adornments on the head and elbows
- 4 fingers/toes
- secondary set of eyes detect heat signatures

*best compared to cheetahs, spotted hyena/cave hyena, machairodontinae, mesoynx, and wolves
Tundra

Characteristics:

*best compared to moose, helohyidae, arctocyon
*artiodactyl?
Tundra

Characteristics:

*best compared to moose, helohyidae, arctocyon
*artiodactyl?
Snapper

Characteristics: