Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Someone stop me
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 31 32
...or don't! I've been drawing non-stop this whole week which is very unusual for me since my anxiety just doesn't leave me alone but this time around it's fine because I'm trying out new techniques. Anyway, some of you probably know me as that nerd who loves talking about biology, and to some I probably come off as annoying and I apologise but [b][i]IT'S ANATOMY TIME, BABEY[/i][/b]. Who here wants to see me make my own renditions of all FR dragons?? I'll be updating this thread with every new species I remake. I've always been passionate about proper restoration of dinosaurs and anatomically realistic drawings, so why stop at that? Why not do dragons? [i]Why not go even further?[/i] Hell yeah, speculative xenobiology. I might even make proper skeletons one day. Open images in new tabs for better previews! [quote]Lightning Ancient concept art [LIST] [*]mantis-like [*]long first pair of arms that's kept above ground but can be used for running too [*]their wings (second pair of arms) turned into limbs for locomotion [*]their legs are short and have a wide-range hip motion [*]long tails that they can use as a whip and make crackling sounds [*]have similar pseudowings like the gliding lizard ([i]Draco volans[/i]) that are actually elongated uncinate processes of the ribs [*]the head is just a generic lizard but that can be changed into just about anything, I don't mind [/LIST] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/NjpSrcVc/image.png[/img][/quote] [quote][b]Here I'll be presenting two possible approaches to dragon head anatomy, using Mirrors as the template. The next drawing will come in the near future.[/b] [LIST] [*]a more reptilian Mirror, based more on archosaurian anatomy mixed with some solid mammalian anatomy (no antorbital fenestrae, a more rounded skull for a big brain and expressive eyebrows) [*]no weird, stringy or membrane-like jaw muscles but realistic and thick jaw muscles [*]fake eye pattern in front of the real eye [*]slight heterodonty (different sizes/shapes of teeth) [*]pointy tongue based on raptors (birds) [*]ornamental reticulae (not lizard-like scales but bird-like scales) [*]little earlobe [/LIST] [img]https://i.imgur.com/SmADHya.png[/img][/quote] [quote]Quick little guess for the Ancient [img]https://i.postimg.cc/hj75w7GD/image.png[/img][/quote] [quote][b]OBELISK TIME[/b] [LIST] [*]I resized their heads to be smaller and their bodies longer to resemble a big, imposing dragon rather than a tiny, medium-dog-sized dragon [*]I changed their arms to have more realistic anatomy [*]their heads now have anatomy more similar to mammals rather than reptiles [/LIST] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/sDzN6xCz/image.png[/img][/quote] [quote][b]Positively insane - Mirror[/b] [LIST] [*]the second pair of eyes will be ignored by me simply because I do not understand how it is possible among such closely related vertebrate organisms to have more eyes than the other because it would require all other related creatures, particularly the ones before, to have one more pair of eyes (parietal eye is a very complicated can of worms); the second pair will be shown as fake-eye patterns instead [*]the eye sockets are based on those of humans aka are much deeper in the skull and are encased by bone, rather than being exposed like those of felids, canids, etc [*]the zygomatic arch is a mixture of a human one and a canine one [*]the teeth on all species will follow a strict dental plan: 12 incisors, 8 canines, 8 premolars, 8 molars, as I treat all dragons as omnivores [*]unlike reptilian and similar jaws that use the quadrate bone as a joint for the jaw, as well as having angular and surangular bones in their mandible, my interpretation has the condyloid joint attached to the squamosal bone just like in humans and other mammals, with the angular and surangular bones morphed with the cranium into the inner ear, and the dentary being the only mobile bone [/LIST] An attempt at reconstructing a Mirror skull with attention to anatomical detail [img]https://i.postimg.cc/2S8XYt5X/image.png[/img] [b]Modern Mirror[/b] [LIST] [*]muscular body based on a combination of spotted hyena, cheetah and dragon bodies [*]smaller pair of eyes does not have eyelids and the eyeball is barely movable, but the pupils can dilate to a big size, allowing the individual to have a much better sense for motion [*]there are two routes you can go with: 1) the second pair of eyes are akin to parietal eyes on some Terran vertebrates and are a primal trait that for some reason remained in the Mirror genus and eventually developed to be able to differentiate shapes, not just light, but are mainly used for thermal and UV vision 2) they are a separately evolved trait but I cannot for the love of me come up with why or how [*]crest (horns) are cartilaginous growths and some very rare individuals might not grow cartilage which makes their crests floppy [*]very strong jaw with less side-to-side mobility (but there still is), they can still chew very well [*]strong neck, shoulders and pectoral muscles great for maintaining powerful upper body strength, especially for cultural hunts with spears and bows, cliff climbing, wrestling, construction, lifting, etc [*]very flexible front pair of arms with wide shoulders, wrists capable of supination (turn hand palm up) and opposable thumbs; Mirrors are precise crafters known for their bone and stone carvings that are a part of their clan culture [*]second pair of arms (wings) very good for flapping but also gliding due to long fingers [*]short legs so quad running is much more preferred than bipedal running, but bipedal motion is completely possible [img]https://i.imgur.com/0MT9vqP.png[/img][/quote] [quote name="Natron" date="2021-01-25 13:09:50" ] Humans are not yet ready to see an anatomically correct mermaid so I will spare them today. That was yesterday, today you're ready [img]https://i.postimg.cc/gk4NgKKy/image.png[/img][/quote] [quote][b]Proto Mirror[/b] [LIST] [*]inspired by Alepha's post about a centipede ancient [*]I want to keep vertebrate anatomy plans consistent which means I won't be adding a zillion limbs because that evolutionary path wouldn't make sense, so I went for a classic hexapod design (4 arms, 2 legs) but also added 2 more legs as a case of functional polymelia [*]head based on a Mirror but with two pairs of horns (parietal AND quadratojugal horns) [*]first pair of canines on the mandible turned upside down and stick out like tusks [*]maxilla is shorter than the one on modern Mirrors [*]parietal eyes exist on this species just like they do on the modern Mirrors [*]long, super sensitive whiskers that are connected to the nasal cavity and can detect water or food from a very large distance [*]second pair of arms never evolved into wing-like arms but remained for running [*]long hands and feet to give a more scary lanky effect [*]hard spiny protrusions on the skin [/LIST] [img]https://i.imgur.com/fk9MdP2.png[/img][/quote] [quote][b]Ridgeback[/b] [LIST] [*]consistent body plan, less shrinkwrapped, still muscular [*]based on mammalian/avian anatomy rather than reptilian (squamate) [*]no hard spikes but protrusions of the spine that are covered with skin [*]the spines can also be only flesh crests like those of roosters or bendy because of lack of bone [*]solid mammalian-esque skull with a zygomatic arch, strong jaw but still good for chewing, even dental plan (additional molars for breeds of Ridgeback who have slightly longer jaws), round orbits without the necessity for sclerotic rings like we see on archosaurs, soft facial tissue like lips and nostrils [*]large gluteus maximus (butt muscle) to support bipedal movement since Dragonkind is crafty and uses their arms for manipulating objects [*]flexible front pair of arms with wide shoulders, wrists capable of supination (turn hand palm up) and opposable thumbs [/LIST] [img]https://i.imgur.com/Pa2QPcJ.png[/img][/quote] [quote][b]Tundra!![/b] (old drawing) [img]https://i.imgur.com/NNHuiQK.png[/img][/quote] ----- [quote=pinglist] @/Reilon @/Errai @/SandSeraph @/themorningstar01 @/gormanghaste @/wingedkitten @/birdbagel @/shadowwas @/facinarose @/atavistic @/probablylying @/alphazi @/lecheval @/barrdwing @/gayskeleton09 @/218715 @/cerastium @/mastermmmm @/hallowdarkfrost @/razatharia @/glitchender @/kyan0s @/nikame @/banii @/silverbolt1159 @/loyalties @/jamminwithjimon @/persimmonbird @/superhappy @/victorzies @/pixelspiral @/fallenangel @/luce @/muchcatto @/zygon @/reven @/lunalumbre @/lyel @/amble @/sandboa @/mercure @/chlorophyll @/withstand @/mekat @/cyanicpanic @/grimdarkroxy @/ragnarok42 @/arcanedragon @/cuelebre @/alienaces @/dilsdragons @/dreamcoyote @/sunken @/taarnfalk @/phay @/echoech @/jotunn @/AWB @/dracknorin @/catindisguise @/voro @/eryel @/haftlinger @/meebop @/andraya @/birdbrained @/ochresparrow @/wolfbyte @/twt @/gladiolusxi @/jellyspine @/stormcatcherhere @/arcaneidolriots @/noxide @/acetheaxolotl @/helixstorm @/dragon2neo @/shwoomwoom @/elementmaster @/spottedleaf125 @/wolfbyte @/rallraxauri @/saintlucky[/quote] [b]BONUS CONCEPT ART:[/b] [quote][b]Polycephallic dragon (dragon/pitbull/bull hybrid)[/b] [LIST] [*]based on polycephallic bovines because they're frequently encountered by humans [*]this dragon species evolved a genetic ability to always develop conjoined twins resulting specifically in polycephallic twins [*]two brains share one body, individuals are pretty much always anatomically functional [*]due to them being conjoined twins, polymelia (more limbs than usual) is also sometimes present [*]males and females are roughly the same size but males have shorter canines, less-defined and less-protruding chins, and much shorter horns [*]flightless; use their wings and the membranes to flash colourful wing patterns and make themselves alluring [/LIST] [img]https://i.imgur.com/cNaut9D.png[/img][/quote] ----- [quote][b]Desert Nightmare[/b] [LIST] [*][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2726701/1#post_45024768]species overview here[/url] [/LIST] [img]https://i.imgur.com/uotXTHP.png[/img][/quote] [quote][b]Work in progress - Imperial, Fae, Guardian[/b] Saw that post about Imperial necks and I was just like "okay I gotta go try and draw my version of an Imperial" [img]https://i.imgur.com/DPSacKI.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/JLNiIKU.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/sTbJiQ9.png[/img][/quote] [center][img]https://i.postimg.cc/d0Z6tccn/image.png[/img][/center]
...or don't! I've been drawing non-stop this whole week which is very unusual for me since my anxiety just doesn't leave me alone but this time around it's fine because I'm trying out new techniques.

Anyway, some of you probably know me as that nerd who loves talking about biology, and to some I probably come off as annoying and I apologise but IT'S ANATOMY TIME, BABEY. Who here wants to see me make my own renditions of all FR dragons?? I'll be updating this thread with every new species I remake.

I've always been passionate about proper restoration of dinosaurs and anatomically realistic drawings, so why stop at that? Why not do dragons? Why not go even further? Hell yeah, speculative xenobiology. I might even make proper skeletons one day.

Open images in new tabs for better previews!
Quote:
Lightning Ancient concept art
  • mantis-like
  • long first pair of arms that's kept above ground but can be used for running too
  • their wings (second pair of arms) turned into limbs for locomotion
  • their legs are short and have a wide-range hip motion
  • long tails that they can use as a whip and make crackling sounds
  • have similar pseudowings like the gliding lizard (Draco volans) that are actually elongated uncinate processes of the ribs
  • the head is just a generic lizard but that can be changed into just about anything, I don't mind

image.png
Quote:
Here I'll be presenting two possible approaches to dragon head anatomy, using Mirrors as the template. The next drawing will come in the near future.
  • a more reptilian Mirror, based more on archosaurian anatomy mixed with some solid mammalian anatomy (no antorbital fenestrae, a more rounded skull for a big brain and expressive eyebrows)
  • no weird, stringy or membrane-like jaw muscles but realistic and thick jaw muscles
  • fake eye pattern in front of the real eye
  • slight heterodonty (different sizes/shapes of teeth)
  • pointy tongue based on raptors (birds)
  • ornamental reticulae (not lizard-like scales but bird-like scales)
  • little earlobe

SmADHya.png
Quote:
Quick little guess for the Ancient

image.png
Quote:
OBELISK TIME
  • I resized their heads to be smaller and their bodies longer to resemble a big, imposing dragon rather than a tiny, medium-dog-sized dragon
  • I changed their arms to have more realistic anatomy
  • their heads now have anatomy more similar to mammals rather than reptiles

image.png
Quote:
Positively insane - Mirror
  • the second pair of eyes will be ignored by me simply because I do not understand how it is possible among such closely related vertebrate organisms to have more eyes than the other because it would require all other related creatures, particularly the ones before, to have one more pair of eyes (parietal eye is a very complicated can of worms); the second pair will be shown as fake-eye patterns instead
  • the eye sockets are based on those of humans aka are much deeper in the skull and are encased by bone, rather than being exposed like those of felids, canids, etc
  • the zygomatic arch is a mixture of a human one and a canine one
  • the teeth on all species will follow a strict dental plan: 12 incisors, 8 canines, 8 premolars, 8 molars, as I treat all dragons as omnivores
  • unlike reptilian and similar jaws that use the quadrate bone as a joint for the jaw, as well as having angular and surangular bones in their mandible, my interpretation has the condyloid joint attached to the squamosal bone just like in humans and other mammals, with the angular and surangular bones morphed with the cranium into the inner ear, and the dentary being the only mobile bone

An attempt at reconstructing a Mirror skull with attention to anatomical detail

image.png

Modern Mirror
  • muscular body based on a combination of spotted hyena, cheetah and dragon bodies
  • smaller pair of eyes does not have eyelids and the eyeball is barely movable, but the pupils can dilate to a big size, allowing the individual to have a much better sense for motion
  • there are two routes you can go with: 1) the second pair of eyes are akin to parietal eyes on some Terran vertebrates and are a primal trait that for some reason remained in the Mirror genus and eventually developed to be able to differentiate shapes, not just light, but are mainly used for thermal and UV vision 2) they are a separately evolved trait but I cannot for the love of me come up with why or how
  • crest (horns) are cartilaginous growths and some very rare individuals might not grow cartilage which makes their crests floppy
  • very strong jaw with less side-to-side mobility (but there still is), they can still chew very well
  • strong neck, shoulders and pectoral muscles great for maintaining powerful upper body strength, especially for cultural hunts with spears and bows, cliff climbing, wrestling, construction, lifting, etc
  • very flexible front pair of arms with wide shoulders, wrists capable of supination (turn hand palm up) and opposable thumbs; Mirrors are precise crafters known for their bone and stone carvings that are a part of their clan culture
  • second pair of arms (wings) very good for flapping but also gliding due to long fingers
  • short legs so quad running is much more preferred than bipedal running, but bipedal motion is completely possible

0MT9vqP.png
Natron wrote on 2021-01-25 13:09:50:
Humans are not yet ready to see an anatomically correct mermaid so I will spare them today.

That was yesterday, today you're ready

image.png
Quote:
Proto Mirror
  • inspired by Alepha's post about a centipede ancient
  • I want to keep vertebrate anatomy plans consistent which means I won't be adding a zillion limbs because that evolutionary path wouldn't make sense, so I went for a classic hexapod design (4 arms, 2 legs) but also added 2 more legs as a case of functional polymelia
  • head based on a Mirror but with two pairs of horns (parietal AND quadratojugal horns)
  • first pair of canines on the mandible turned upside down and stick out like tusks
  • maxilla is shorter than the one on modern Mirrors
  • parietal eyes exist on this species just like they do on the modern Mirrors
  • long, super sensitive whiskers that are connected to the nasal cavity and can detect water or food from a very large distance
  • second pair of arms never evolved into wing-like arms but remained for running
  • long hands and feet to give a more scary lanky effect
  • hard spiny protrusions on the skin

fk9MdP2.png
Quote:
Ridgeback
  • consistent body plan, less shrinkwrapped, still muscular
  • based on mammalian/avian anatomy rather than reptilian (squamate)
  • no hard spikes but protrusions of the spine that are covered with skin
  • the spines can also be only flesh crests like those of roosters or bendy because of lack of bone
  • solid mammalian-esque skull with a zygomatic arch, strong jaw but still good for chewing, even dental plan (additional molars for breeds of Ridgeback who have slightly longer jaws), round orbits without the necessity for sclerotic rings like we see on archosaurs, soft facial tissue like lips and nostrils
  • large gluteus maximus (butt muscle) to support bipedal movement since Dragonkind is crafty and uses their arms for manipulating objects
  • flexible front pair of arms with wide shoulders, wrists capable of supination (turn hand palm up) and opposable thumbs

Pa2QPcJ.png
Quote:
Tundra!! (old drawing)

NNHuiQK.png

pinglist wrote:
@/Reilon @/Errai @/SandSeraph @/themorningstar01 @/gormanghaste @/wingedkitten @/birdbagel @/shadowwas @/facinarose @/atavistic @/probablylying @/alphazi @/lecheval @/barrdwing @/gayskeleton09 @/218715 @/cerastium @/mastermmmm @/hallowdarkfrost @/razatharia @/glitchender @/kyan0s @/nikame @/banii @/silverbolt1159 @/loyalties @/jamminwithjimon @/persimmonbird @/superhappy @/victorzies @/pixelspiral @/fallenangel @/luce @/muchcatto @/zygon @/reven @/lunalumbre @/lyel @/amble @/sandboa @/mercure @/chlorophyll @/withstand @/mekat @/cyanicpanic @/grimdarkroxy @/ragnarok42 @/arcanedragon @/cuelebre @/alienaces @/dilsdragons @/dreamcoyote @/sunken @/taarnfalk @/phay @/echoech @/jotunn @/AWB @/dracknorin @/catindisguise @/voro @/eryel @/haftlinger @/meebop @/andraya @/birdbrained @/ochresparrow @/wolfbyte @/twt @/gladiolusxi @/jellyspine @/stormcatcherhere @/arcaneidolriots @/noxide @/acetheaxolotl @/helixstorm @/dragon2neo @/shwoomwoom @/elementmaster @/spottedleaf125 @/wolfbyte @/rallraxauri @/saintlucky

BONUS CONCEPT ART:
Quote:
Polycephallic dragon (dragon/pitbull/bull hybrid)
  • based on polycephallic bovines because they're frequently encountered by humans
  • this dragon species evolved a genetic ability to always develop conjoined twins resulting specifically in polycephallic twins
  • two brains share one body, individuals are pretty much always anatomically functional
  • due to them being conjoined twins, polymelia (more limbs than usual) is also sometimes present
  • males and females are roughly the same size but males have shorter canines, less-defined and less-protruding chins, and much shorter horns
  • flightless; use their wings and the membranes to flash colourful wing patterns and make themselves alluring

cNaut9D.png

Quote:
Desert Nightmare

uotXTHP.png
Quote:
Work in progress - Imperial, Fae, Guardian

Saw that post about Imperial necks and I was just like "okay I gotta go try and draw my version of an Imperial"

DPSacKI.png
JLNiIKU.png
sTbJiQ9.png
image.png
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
YES. I LOVE THIS. GIVE ME MOREEE
YES. I LOVE THIS. GIVE ME MOREEE
Nobody stop Natron. This is fantastic, I wanna see where it goes.

Nobody stop Natron. This is fantastic, I wanna see where it goes.

Oh coool.

To me Ridgeback spines look more like Stegosaurus plates, though (unless there've been new developments on those while I was busy).
Oh coool.

To me Ridgeback spines look more like Stegosaurus plates, though (unless there've been new developments on those while I was busy).
don't like my dragons
Now they're beginning to look more like goblin sharks :D I hope they can unhinge their jaws the same way
Now they're beginning to look more like goblin sharks :D I hope they can unhinge their jaws the same way
D9IHig1.pngbabyyouknowthatimissyouzUFNp7D.png
i'm not into biology so i will just say that its always funny to me how a cute cartoon creature can look horrifying if drawn with more realistic features, kinda like pokemons.[emoji=fae laughing size=1] That art is well done tho, looking forward on how the other breed will end up looking in your style.
i'm not into biology so i will just say that its always funny to me how a cute cartoon creature can look horrifying if drawn with more realistic features, kinda like pokemons.

That art is well done tho, looking forward on how the other breed will end up looking in your style.
neutralh5.png
EYYYYY YES THIS IS NICE
EYYYYY YES THIS IS NICE
oo nice! if there's a pinglist slam me on it
oo nice! if there's a pinglist slam me on it
39.png
I like the mammalian direction you took, especially that xenarthan-esque skull in the upper right!
I like the mammalian direction you took, especially that xenarthan-esque skull in the upper right!
4e48afae7ea64e587fff31cf892fcf9de1d76c3a.png
Critter Adopts
The acorn beckons
Divider-Branch4.png
33341.png Horsiesmall.png
is there a pinglist for updates?? can I have a ping when its updated???
is there a pinglist for updates?? can I have a ping when its updated???
SURlPKu.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 31 32