Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | "Subpar" Things You Still Enjoy?
1 2 3 4 5 6
"Subpar" meaning, in this context, of lesser quality, but are there any things- films, books, games, et cetera- that are subpar, and you know they are subpar, but you still enjoy them anyway?

Right now, I am rereading Warrior Cats as part of my quest to analyze xenofiction and I am truly confronting that even at the beginning, even at its best, it's still kinda.... not excellent. Some of the dialogue is "wow, this is extremely corny." Not all the language is consistent, especially in compared to everything past book one, and you can really feel that the broad image was there but the details were a little faulty.

But, the thing is, I'm still enjoying it. Yes, it's a silly cat romp, but it's my silly cat romp, and it's fun dissecting it and seeing what works and what doesn't work. I love seeing well-characterized cats like Yellowfang, even if I have to shrug off the... uh, lesser ones to do so.

And there's kinda a fun thing to reading something that's okay at best and awkward at worst? Good stories hide all the mechanics, what makes them tic behind a perfectly seamless wall. And okay-to-bad stories have these, too, and that's why you need to read stories that aren't all "this is a masterpiece that needs to be witnessed by everyone" levels of quality. You can see what the writer was going for, you can see what was the intention because the intention is lying broken and bleeding in front of you.

So, yeah. It's fun rereading Warrior Cats, even if it's admittedly more subpar in quality than I remembered it being.

What are some games, books, movies, and more that you like, in spite of (or perhaps because of) their execution issues?
"Subpar" meaning, in this context, of lesser quality, but are there any things- films, books, games, et cetera- that are subpar, and you know they are subpar, but you still enjoy them anyway?

Right now, I am rereading Warrior Cats as part of my quest to analyze xenofiction and I am truly confronting that even at the beginning, even at its best, it's still kinda.... not excellent. Some of the dialogue is "wow, this is extremely corny." Not all the language is consistent, especially in compared to everything past book one, and you can really feel that the broad image was there but the details were a little faulty.

But, the thing is, I'm still enjoying it. Yes, it's a silly cat romp, but it's my silly cat romp, and it's fun dissecting it and seeing what works and what doesn't work. I love seeing well-characterized cats like Yellowfang, even if I have to shrug off the... uh, lesser ones to do so.

And there's kinda a fun thing to reading something that's okay at best and awkward at worst? Good stories hide all the mechanics, what makes them tic behind a perfectly seamless wall. And okay-to-bad stories have these, too, and that's why you need to read stories that aren't all "this is a masterpiece that needs to be witnessed by everyone" levels of quality. You can see what the writer was going for, you can see what was the intention because the intention is lying broken and bleeding in front of you.

So, yeah. It's fun rereading Warrior Cats, even if it's admittedly more subpar in quality than I remembered it being.

What are some games, books, movies, and more that you like, in spite of (or perhaps because of) their execution issues?
Call me Requacy (Pinging Allowed!)(Note to self: Make art for signature)
probably miraculous ladybug. like it's fairly ugly, poorly written for a kids show even, has some of my least favorite tropes, but it's just so entraining. it's stupid and extremely formulaic but it's just entertaining. just something silly to turn your brain off
probably miraculous ladybug. like it's fairly ugly, poorly written for a kids show even, has some of my least favorite tropes, but it's just so entraining. it's stupid and extremely formulaic but it's just entertaining. just something silly to turn your brain off
STRANGEFLESH
>It/It's
>friendly/open to chat! I love pings and messages
>wishlist
>lineage
>About me
tumblr-paypl0-G37c1xpxfk5o4-250.png
The Road to El Dorado. I don't think the plot was well-handled (I especially dislike the portrayal of Chel, I think the romantic subplot ruined it for me) and the musical numbers are a tad dull in my opinion but the animation more than makes up for it. Also it has cute mascots (Altivo and the armadillo) and I like the (albeit generic) dynamic between the protagonists.
The Road to El Dorado. I don't think the plot was well-handled (I especially dislike the portrayal of Chel, I think the romantic subplot ruined it for me) and the musical numbers are a tad dull in my opinion but the animation more than makes up for it. Also it has cute mascots (Altivo and the armadillo) and I like the (albeit generic) dynamic between the protagonists.
Newmoon | She/her | FRT +17-19 (depending on daylight savings)

Fandergs | Wishlist

I made a cheap UMA! Click here to order it!
spy kids 3 kinda lost the spy kids memo but I enjoyed it when i was seven and I think id still enjoy it
spy kids 3 kinda lost the spy kids memo but I enjoyed it when i was seven and I think id still enjoy it

NN9NPXA.png
P9aWhak.png
OxagJgG.png
WKtl2lb.png
haxorus.gif

t3kr0g.png
i've already said enough of my peace on pokemon xy but replaying it has me so frustrated like there are genuinely good themes here its just that everything about team flare is so discordant and backloaded towards the end of the game, my pokemon should not be level 50 and fighting the big bad for the first time! i am excited for the new legends game to flesh out the region and theming more but it does suck nothing can be done for the base game. also there's virtually nothing to go off of for this game but if it really will be a future timejump that's incredibly weird for a region that focuses on the mistake of a 3,000 year old man.

but pokemon amie and sylveon exist so i can't be actually mad.
i've already said enough of my peace on pokemon xy but replaying it has me so frustrated like there are genuinely good themes here its just that everything about team flare is so discordant and backloaded towards the end of the game, my pokemon should not be level 50 and fighting the big bad for the first time! i am excited for the new legends game to flesh out the region and theming more but it does suck nothing can be done for the base game. also there's virtually nothing to go off of for this game but if it really will be a future timejump that's incredibly weird for a region that focuses on the mistake of a 3,000 year old man.

sunflowers and leavessunflowers and leaves
[quote name="bulrush" date="2024-03-24 21:31:47" ] i've already said enough of my peace on pokemon xy but replaying it has me so frustrated like there are genuinely good themes here its just that everything about team flare is so discordant and backloaded towards the end of the game, my pokemon should not be level 50 and fighting the big bad for the first time! i am excited for the new legends game to flesh out the region and theming more but it does suck nothing can be done for the base game. also there's virtually nothing to go off of for this game but if it really will be a future timejump that's incredibly weird for a region that focuses on the mistake of a 3,000 year old man. but pokemon amie and sylveon exist so i can't be actually mad. [/quote] Me and my sister still discuss about how badly XY fell short of its full potential. The legendaries are literally embodiments of Life and Death. There are so many cool things they could have done with the villain team, actually… Instead, we get boring ol’ Team Flare. Then there is the aforementioned weird level/power-scaling thing. They just hand you a free Lucario with a Mega Stone early on in the game, if I recall. I also wish AZ was actually fleshed out. The Floette scene was so well-animated, but I felt nothing because WHO IS THIS MAN!? He’s the only character in the game with an actually interesting backstory, but we barely get to know him. To be honest, I feel like AZ could have been a strong, sympathetic villain like N. ——— Anyways, I’m getting off topic. For subpar things I enjoy, I sometimes find myself being nostalgic for those old direct-to-DVD Disney sequels. I grew up during a time when they were still making those. They would advertise them on every DVD/VHS tape I owned, I swear. The Lion King 2 trailer is seared into my brain. I like The Lion King 2, by the way. It’s got a charm to it. I also think a lot of people (surprisingly) hate Brother Bear, but I actually really like that movie. Maybe it’s the inner Pokemon Mystery Dungeon fan in me talking, though, I don’t know.
bulrush wrote on 2024-03-24 21:31:47:

Me and my sister still discuss about how badly XY fell short of its full potential. The legendaries are literally embodiments of Life and Death. There are so many cool things they could have done with the villain team, actually… Instead, we get boring ol’ Team Flare. Then there is the aforementioned weird level/power-scaling thing. They just hand you a free Lucario with a Mega Stone early on in the game, if I recall.

I also wish AZ was actually fleshed out. The Floette scene was so well-animated, but I felt nothing because WHO IS THIS MAN!? He’s the only character in the game with an actually interesting backstory, but we barely get to know him. To be honest, I feel like AZ could have been a strong, sympathetic villain like N.

———

Anyways, I’m getting off topic. For subpar things I enjoy, I sometimes find myself being nostalgic for those old direct-to-DVD Disney sequels. I grew up during a time when they were still making those. They would advertise them on every DVD/VHS tape I owned, I swear. The Lion King 2 trailer is seared into my brain. I like The Lion King 2, by the way. It’s got a charm to it.

I also think a lot of people (surprisingly) hate Brother Bear, but I actually really like that movie. Maybe it’s the inner Pokemon Mystery Dungeon fan in me talking, though, I don’t know.
5255079-8Mmx39RQgBpdGm07.jpg
pokemon's 9th generation is looked down upon quality-wise but personally i disagree!! i adore gen9 and its characters so much.
pokemon's 9th generation is looked down upon quality-wise but personally i disagree!! i adore gen9 and its characters so much.
aC86tUH.png mlHpBMC.png
w3eXdQQ.png
wAfJ7Bn.png4Gh3xRo.png
0XHtpWy.pngz3FSuck.png
Miraculous Ladybug is an entertaining show, I agree!

I'd like to give a shout out to Petz Dogz/Catz 2. It's a game very obviously made for kids. But little me enjoyed it a lot, and I still enjoy it to this day! I guess nostalgia is a factor, but it's still a game I enjoy.
Miraculous Ladybug is an entertaining show, I agree!

I'd like to give a shout out to Petz Dogz/Catz 2. It's a game very obviously made for kids. But little me enjoyed it a lot, and I still enjoy it to this day! I guess nostalgia is a factor, but it's still a game I enjoy.
mapleshaiku_siggy.png
FNAF:SB. I've never played it but watching videos about all the funny things that can be done to abuse bugs in the game (such as gigamonty and duplicating animatronics).
FNAF:SB. I've never played it but watching videos about all the funny things that can be done to abuse bugs in the game (such as gigamonty and duplicating animatronics).
74580052.png
84589772.png
MONTY
he/it/veil
adhdtism
skincent shop
93641105.png
Oh, Warrior Cats is definitely the same for me, too. I reread all of the books sequentially a year or two ago, and as an adult, it's just...objectively not good, haha. The wooden and 2D background characters, forgetting plotlines and characters depending on who ghost-wrote which particular book, it's quite something. But at the same time it's a guilty pleasure, and holds a very fond nostalgic place in my heart. The basic set-up and some of the ideas has fostered a lot of creativity over the years, both in childhood storywriting and play, and in the (very very talented!) online parts of the community, especially in regards to warriors MAPs and other creations!
Oh, Warrior Cats is definitely the same for me, too. I reread all of the books sequentially a year or two ago, and as an adult, it's just...objectively not good, haha. The wooden and 2D background characters, forgetting plotlines and characters depending on who ghost-wrote which particular book, it's quite something. But at the same time it's a guilty pleasure, and holds a very fond nostalgic place in my heart. The basic set-up and some of the ideas has fostered a lot of creativity over the years, both in childhood storywriting and play, and in the (very very talented!) online parts of the community, especially in regards to warriors MAPs and other creations!
A light blue Fae dragon lying down surrounded by pink flower petals. She is wearing a pink daisy cabbie, and holds a pink rose in her mouth.
1 2 3 4 5 6