Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Colli: Give dragons animations
This is more of a "I would love this" than a suggestion bc I don't know how much work it would take on top of the coli revamp
It's just, kinda creeps me out almost??

I don't like how the enemies have animations, but our dragons don't. This isn't even a FR only thing, I don't like it when ANY monster battle like game has no animations for the creatures. It makes them feel like just statues, not living things.

I'm not even asking for attack animations, mostly just idle animations like the enemies have.
This is more of a "I would love this" than a suggestion bc I don't know how much work it would take on top of the coli revamp
It's just, kinda creeps me out almost??

I don't like how the enemies have animations, but our dragons don't. This isn't even a FR only thing, I don't like it when ANY monster battle like game has no animations for the creatures. It makes them feel like just statues, not living things.

I'm not even asking for attack animations, mostly just idle animations like the enemies have.
LEpJMnn.png
J8QoPxT.png
CtM8cLF.png tqGkHih.png
5DjYECS.png
I get the vibe, but I straight up don't think they actually can. You can animate the base dragon sure, but you can't animate the apparel or skins they have on-top because every user is going to have something different put on in a different way, it's impossible to really account for and unreasonable to animate every single piece of apparel for every Modern breed. Again doesn't even solve the issue of skins, but I might just not know enough about things to understand how it'd work.

Now obviously, I'm not staff so I can't really say something is impossible... and I'm not necessarily against the idea, again. It sure doesn't make sense in my mind, though. I understand why we don't have this.
I get the vibe, but I straight up don't think they actually can. You can animate the base dragon sure, but you can't animate the apparel or skins they have on-top because every user is going to have something different put on in a different way, it's impossible to really account for and unreasonable to animate every single piece of apparel for every Modern breed. Again doesn't even solve the issue of skins, but I might just not know enough about things to understand how it'd work.

Now obviously, I'm not staff so I can't really say something is impossible... and I'm not necessarily against the idea, again. It sure doesn't make sense in my mind, though. I understand why we don't have this.
Book of Eldritch Horror
-Recall/Lucius/Michael
-He/They, +8 FR Time
-Lore and Fandragon enthusiast, love to talk!
-Wishlist! / Skin Idea Generator
Lurching Tome
I feel like this would sadly be too much for the art team to pull off. Not only do they have to account for every breed and pose, they also have to account for every gene ON every breed and pose so it doesn't look wonky. Not to mention skins and apparel.
If it were feasible, I wouldn't have a problem with it. It would be a nice addition to have some dragon animation.
I feel like this would sadly be too much for the art team to pull off. Not only do they have to account for every breed and pose, they also have to account for every gene ON every breed and pose so it doesn't look wonky. Not to mention skins and apparel.
If it were feasible, I wouldn't have a problem with it. It would be a nice addition to have some dragon animation.
eheu... ova!
no pronouns, refer to me as Dormie or Dormiebasne. Don't use they/them please.
Yeah, I don't think this is actually possible since it'd require accounting for every possible combination. I'm sure they could pull off the layering they use for dragon images already, but then they'd also have to account for and animate all the apparel, apparel combos, skins, line-breaking genes...
It'd be nice but I just don't think it can be done.
Yeah, I don't think this is actually possible since it'd require accounting for every possible combination. I'm sure they could pull off the layering they use for dragon images already, but then they'd also have to account for and animate all the apparel, apparel combos, skins, line-breaking genes...
It'd be nice but I just don't think it can be done.
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
I imagine they could take the dragon PNG and treat it as a flat image, then do some really basic animation with that flat PNG without having to manually account for every piece of apparel and/or skin. It would have to be really basic animation though -- I'm thinking like a simple squishing animation like this one gif: [img]https://i.imgflip.com/55bgxi.gif[/img] And in that case the dragons might stand out too much compared to the enemies, since their animation would be [i]so[/i] much simpler.
I imagine they could take the dragon PNG and treat it as a flat image, then do some really basic animation with that flat PNG without having to manually account for every piece of apparel and/or skin. It would have to be really basic animation though -- I'm thinking like a simple squishing animation like this one gif:

55bgxi.gif

And in that case the dragons might stand out too much compared to the enemies, since their animation would be so much simpler.
> My tumblr
> My AO3
X
An angry-looking night elf woman with short green hair and a burn scar on her left cheek, looking to the viewer's right.A night elf woman with purple facial tattoos and purple hair, looking at the viewer with a confident smirk.
she/her | 18+ | FR+2 | brain full of night elves
>> Avatar
>> I love pings!
>> PixelZ, not PixelS!
xxxdont%20feed%20the%20ai.gif
Dragon images are made up of several customizable asset layers, compressed into a combined, but dynamic (readily modifiable) image format.

Adding animations like the familiars have (moving body parts) would be extremely complicated, if not outright impossible.
Dragon images are made up of several customizable asset layers, compressed into a combined, but dynamic (readily modifiable) image format.

Adding animations like the familiars have (moving body parts) would be extremely complicated, if not outright impossible.
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
I don't think dynamic movements are possible, like the people above have said, but... I can't help thinking it must be possible to have some by-breed overlay that makes things move a little? Like, squash/stretch, use the like, grid-transform equivalent to make the front of the dragon move up and down a little... basically, the same things they use on the familiar pngs to make their animations, but applied to a dressed dragon.

Would it look wonky sometimes? Sure. Do I think it might be worth at least a tech demo? Also yes!

(But, I actually think this would, if done in this manner, be a code strain rather than an art one...)
I don't think dynamic movements are possible, like the people above have said, but... I can't help thinking it must be possible to have some by-breed overlay that makes things move a little? Like, squash/stretch, use the like, grid-transform equivalent to make the front of the dragon move up and down a little... basically, the same things they use on the familiar pngs to make their animations, but applied to a dressed dragon.

Would it look wonky sometimes? Sure. Do I think it might be worth at least a tech demo? Also yes!

(But, I actually think this would, if done in this manner, be a code strain rather than an art one...)
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.

It would be a wonderful thing but with all of the things you would have to take into account(Skins, apparel, genes) it would be an unrealistic goal.(Plus how would you animate user skins?)
theultimatecatsig.gif |
|
|
|
|
Wine is just overpriced grape juice
They/Him | FRT +17 | Artist
4sqjku3.png
»Wishlist
»Lair Purge&Sales
»Pinkerlocke

Buy!
What actually makes this weirder is that some of the dragons move. Wit apparel, with skins added on. Don't believe me? Put a male Nocturne in your party and see him hover. I fully believe something simple and bare-bones like a squish-stretch or a hover/hop could be done for the others.

F Nocturnes, F Banescales, M Coatls, F Imperials, Aethers, Faes, and Spirals also have this hover from what I could test.
What actually makes this weirder is that some of the dragons move. Wit apparel, with skins added on. Don't believe me? Put a male Nocturne in your party and see him hover. I fully believe something simple and bare-bones like a squish-stretch or a hover/hop could be done for the others.

F Nocturnes, F Banescales, M Coatls, F Imperials, Aethers, Faes, and Spirals also have this hover from what I could test.
no FObX7rS.png
hh5n4WA.png
7OY8Vcs.png
image.png
lAvpyOQ.png
nWiQNX9.png
nooo R3T9Jmp.png
The hover "animation" is part of the Rich Visual Effects option that also has the flat image of the dragon move across the screen to attack.

No support for actual animation. It's completely unfeasible, as mentioned. No support for squashing/stretching the image, either. That's just a lot of effort, and potentially bandwidth, for subpar results.
The hover "animation" is part of the Rich Visual Effects option that also has the flat image of the dragon move across the screen to attack.

No support for actual animation. It's completely unfeasible, as mentioned. No support for squashing/stretching the image, either. That's just a lot of effort, and potentially bandwidth, for subpar results.