Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Dev Update: Pinglists & More
1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 73 74
Oh my hekkin gosh you guys.

Brilliant. All brilliant.
Oh my hekkin gosh you guys.

Brilliant. All brilliant.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
i'm sure it's been said already, but this thread is very long and i am drowsy from a midday nap ... i'm concerned about how removing mass pings will effect my experience as a skin collector. i use GASP, along with thousands of other players. using the google sheets system, unique pinglists can be auto generated based on the features of the skin and the wants of the buyer. for example, i get pinged for [i]every[/i] bogsneak skin, no matter what it looks like. i also have a second set of criteria where i can be pinged for skins for any breed that feature water flight iconography, animals and plants, and natural colors, but i am not pinged if a skin [i]also[/i] has space or cyberpunk imagery which i'm just not interested in collecting. taking away mass pings and replacing them with these new pinglists would remove this element of customization that the community has worked so hard to tailor, wouldn't it? i could still be pinged for bogsneak skins, i suppose, but i don't see any mention of how these new pinglists can be customized and automated to [i]change [/i]depending on what criteria the user is using them for. i know the same concerns apply to the G1 pinglists as well. i don't have any problem with the new pinglist feature, i think it's great and very convenient for things like art shops and community events! my problem is just that large pinglists like GASP which are tailor-made to every individual use, something that is very useful for buyers and sellers, will be rendered useless by the cap on mass pings. is this a concern for the dev team? are there any additional customization features planned for on-site pinglists? edit: quoting this as well, i'm an active dom participant (which i know is a fundamentally community-run event, but it is encouraged by gameplay mechanics) and i can only see this as making dom communities disorganized and fracturing communication [quote name="RedWillia" date="2023-10-26 11:55:02" ]If I'm reading this correctly. then unfortunately, this basically makes the function useless in most use-cases - imagine I'm (again) in a dom team, we're 5 people organizing an event for 1000 players. So if I create the pinglist but then Something Happens (my laptop dies, I break an arm, whatever), none of my fellow organizers can take over because none of them can use the ping command. If the "solution" is to have 5 pinglists, then it's not a solution either - as each of the 1000 players has to remember to subscribe to all 5 pinglists (else different organizers might be pinging different people) [b]and[/b] to subscribe to new ones if more organizers appear.[/quote]
i'm sure it's been said already, but this thread is very long and i am drowsy from a midday nap ... i'm concerned about how removing mass pings will effect my experience as a skin collector. i use GASP, along with thousands of other players. using the google sheets system, unique pinglists can be auto generated based on the features of the skin and the wants of the buyer. for example, i get pinged for every bogsneak skin, no matter what it looks like. i also have a second set of criteria where i can be pinged for skins for any breed that feature water flight iconography, animals and plants, and natural colors, but i am not pinged if a skin also has space or cyberpunk imagery which i'm just not interested in collecting. taking away mass pings and replacing them with these new pinglists would remove this element of customization that the community has worked so hard to tailor, wouldn't it? i could still be pinged for bogsneak skins, i suppose, but i don't see any mention of how these new pinglists can be customized and automated to change depending on what criteria the user is using them for. i know the same concerns apply to the G1 pinglists as well. i don't have any problem with the new pinglist feature, i think it's great and very convenient for things like art shops and community events! my problem is just that large pinglists like GASP which are tailor-made to every individual use, something that is very useful for buyers and sellers, will be rendered useless by the cap on mass pings. is this a concern for the dev team? are there any additional customization features planned for on-site pinglists?

edit: quoting this as well, i'm an active dom participant (which i know is a fundamentally community-run event, but it is encouraged by gameplay mechanics) and i can only see this as making dom communities disorganized and fracturing communication
RedWillia wrote on 2023-10-26 11:55:02:
If I'm reading this correctly. then unfortunately, this basically makes the function useless in most use-cases - imagine I'm (again) in a dom team, we're 5 people organizing an event for 1000 players. So if I create the pinglist but then Something Happens (my laptop dies, I break an arm, whatever), none of my fellow organizers can take over because none of them can use the ping command. If the "solution" is to have 5 pinglists, then it's not a solution either - as each of the 1000 players has to remember to subscribe to all 5 pinglists (else different organizers might be pinging different people) and to subscribe to new ones if more organizers appear.
a screenshot of a youtube comment dated ten years ago from Povilas Šorys. the comment says, 'why he has to squeak and mewl while singing? I hate radiohead'
I think the pinglist feature needs a way to have the lists be managed by more than one user
I think the pinglist feature needs a way to have the lists be managed by more than one user

HzxzT7E.png KUcJc1f.png T7oZG2V.png 7NPoCKT.png 9x8LL2o.png 6BflSJ5.png UufrmFo.png Ok4d76e.png 6agDyZh.png dbA9WLD.png 0B6Swia.png IdvUWWa.png
I am against the idea of replacing our current pinglist with those proposed. In my opinion, they will completely kill the community. It is impossible to effectively reproduce the GASP list with this system and the 12 user limit is just absurd.
The Gasp list allows us to be added to what we want, while being removed from what we don't want, and everyone can use it. With your system, this would mean that small sellers will have no way of publicizing their skins or their dragon sales since if I subscribe to X, Y will no longer be able to ping me with the same list!

So please don't implement this, it's not a good idea
I am against the idea of replacing our current pinglist with those proposed. In my opinion, they will completely kill the community. It is impossible to effectively reproduce the GASP list with this system and the 12 user limit is just absurd.
The Gasp list allows us to be added to what we want, while being removed from what we don't want, and everyone can use it. With your system, this would mean that small sellers will have no way of publicizing their skins or their dragon sales since if I subscribe to X, Y will no longer be able to ping me with the same list!

So please don't implement this, it's not a good idea
F8WMfQz.png Excuse my bad English but I'm French ^^' eGiN2Xv.png
My Wishlist / Pronouns : She / He
l5np.pnghnri.png q5v9.pngny85.pngdiqh.pngi07u.png
I don't know if this has been brought up yet or not, but the way the ping lists are proposed to work will not only effect the G1, custom skin/accent markets, and dominance groups, but it will also bring groups like the Nest Network to a screeching halt.

A lot of folks rely on things like the Nest Network for projects, subspecies, etc. I agree being able to turn off mass ping alerts would be a good way to go about this, and the idea of ping lists is great, but it's going to cause so many issues they way the team wants to implement and restrict it right now.
I don't know if this has been brought up yet or not, but the way the ping lists are proposed to work will not only effect the G1, custom skin/accent markets, and dominance groups, but it will also bring groups like the Nest Network to a screeching halt.

A lot of folks rely on things like the Nest Network for projects, subspecies, etc. I agree being able to turn off mass ping alerts would be a good way to go about this, and the idea of ping lists is great, but it's going to cause so many issues they way the team wants to implement and restrict it right now.
Water-Network.pngcqu2HKA.png
[quote name="Seadramon" date="2023-10-26 09:50:15" ] Maybe allow a user to set a pinglist as public (anyone can use it) or private (only the creator can use it)? [/quote] Seconding this. It would solve the issue with community-owned pinglists being endangered; and if (site-supported) public pinglists would be an option, I don't think people would be [i]more[/i] prone to misusing them than up until now. And if someone would misuse them, I'd say it's more fair to "discipline" a misbehaving player/remove only their ability to mass-ping if it'd be a repeated offense than to remove the ability from the whole player base (since [i]most[/i] people wouldn't misuse them, just like they don't now) Does it make sense, what I mean? ^^;
Seadramon wrote on 2023-10-26 09:50:15:
Maybe allow a user to set a pinglist as public (anyone can use it) or private (only the creator can use it)?

Seconding this. It would solve the issue with community-owned pinglists being endangered; and if (site-supported) public pinglists would be an option, I don't think people would be more prone to misusing them than up until now. And if someone would misuse them, I'd say it's more fair to "discipline" a misbehaving player/remove only their ability to mass-ping if it'd be a repeated offense than to remove the ability from the whole player base (since most people wouldn't misuse them, just like they don't now)
Does it make sense, what I mean? ^^;
PWSZq63.png z3FSuck.png
Qboauiw.png
a129Nss.png
ozXwjvF.png
90frr5J.png
1bSJVgF.png
gziv3Ja.png
r8v91MH.png
ekux78o.png
bVV6yhw.png
dEe2UrM.png
YMPbu9R.png
The pinglist update sounds amazing! However, to address the concerns about community-run pinglists (dom/GASP/G1 sales/etc), we should still allow mass pings in specific forum categories. Items/Dragons for Sale and flight dominance forums should be exempt from the mass ping ban, just like how the sales forums are allowed to bump their threads without being marked as spam.
The pinglist update sounds amazing! However, to address the concerns about community-run pinglists (dom/GASP/G1 sales/etc), we should still allow mass pings in specific forum categories. Items/Dragons for Sale and flight dominance forums should be exempt from the mass ping ban, just like how the sales forums are allowed to bump their threads without being marked as spam.
Pinwheel Paddies - Commissions

- Adopts

- The gang
xxxxxxxxxxxx mkyCRvi.png xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Quinoa
[quote name="Yamoi" date="2023-10-26 12:04:28" ] The pinglist update sounds amazing! However, to address the concerns about community-run pinglists (dom/GASP/G1 sales/etc), we should still allow mass pings in specific forum categories. Items/Dragons for Sale and flight dominance forums should be exempt from the mass ping ban, just like how the sales forums are allowed to bump their threads without being marked as spam. [/quote] This could be a great solution as well!
Yamoi wrote on 2023-10-26 12:04:28:

This could be a great solution as well!
PWSZq63.png z3FSuck.png
Qboauiw.png
a129Nss.png
ozXwjvF.png
90frr5J.png
1bSJVgF.png
gziv3Ja.png
r8v91MH.png
ekux78o.png
bVV6yhw.png
dEe2UrM.png
YMPbu9R.png
[quote name="okcomputer" date="2023-10-26 11:57:54" ] i'm concerned about how removing mass pings will effect my experience as a skin collector. i use GASP, along with thousands of other players. using the google sheets system, unique pinglists can be auto generated based on the features of the skin and the wants of the buyer. [/quote] Yes! I'd like to emphasize how robust GASP is in this regard. For instance, let's say I'm reselling a m-pose wildclaw skin with floral, gothic, and body horror elements. In that case, I need to ping anyone interested in: m wc skins AND (floral OR gothic OR body horror) AND resales but I also need NOT to ping anyone who has opted out of pings for floral, gothic, or body horror skins. I would hope that either this new site feature can entirely replicate this kind of functionality, or that it will be allowed to coexist alongside the regular ping system so that people can still get the pings they're interested in (and not ones they don't want to see).
okcomputer wrote on 2023-10-26 11:57:54:
i'm concerned about how removing mass pings will effect my experience as a skin collector. i use GASP, along with thousands of other players. using the google sheets system, unique pinglists can be auto generated based on the features of the skin and the wants of the buyer.
Yes! I'd like to emphasize how robust GASP is in this regard. For instance, let's say I'm reselling a m-pose wildclaw skin with floral, gothic, and body horror elements. In that case, I need to ping anyone interested in:

m wc skins AND (floral OR gothic OR body horror) AND resales

but I also need NOT to ping anyone who has opted out of pings for floral, gothic, or body horror skins.

I would hope that either this new site feature can entirely replicate this kind of functionality, or that it will be allowed to coexist alongside the regular ping system so that people can still get the pings they're interested in (and not ones they don't want to see).
Bubbly Buddy Razanei Lineage Project
Virtual Hibden
Breed Out the Ugly Challenge
Honestly, the ability to mass ping simply should not be removed as long as onsite code can replicate everything that dom orgs/g1 sales/gasp/other community pinglist people have done and is as smooth to use as they are

Honestly, the ability to mass ping simply should not be removed as long as onsite code can replicate everything that dom orgs/g1 sales/gasp/other community pinglist people have done and is as smooth to use as they are

6h4Ol4n.pngXiejUgd.pngvJUVQ0t.pngcGS2SD8.png
1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 73 74