Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | FR what's up w the chickens
1 2 3 4 5
I'm not a chicken person but I do think it is a bit strange that they would name them after breeds while not giving them accurate designs. It think it was probably one of those "eh its close enough" situations or the devs not thinking the unique aspects of the breeds would be missed. The reasons the dogs get accurate designs is because 1. gem apparel and 2. most people know what dog breeds look like at a glance, so if they took shortcuts on that, significantly more people would be pointing it out.

All that said why are we bringing up dogs getting eaten in other cultures. It's getting weird man.
I'm not a chicken person but I do think it is a bit strange that they would name them after breeds while not giving them accurate designs. It think it was probably one of those "eh its close enough" situations or the devs not thinking the unique aspects of the breeds would be missed. The reasons the dogs get accurate designs is because 1. gem apparel and 2. most people know what dog breeds look like at a glance, so if they took shortcuts on that, significantly more people would be pointing it out.

All that said why are we bringing up dogs getting eaten in other cultures. It's getting weird man.
Pressed Morning Glory Venex
they/them
_^___^
(=0ω0=)
23378621.png Pressed Moonflower
am I really going to witness a thread get locked over chickens

I think I am

that's kinda hilarious
am I really going to witness a thread get locked over chickens

I think I am

that's kinda hilarious
0DJvxSf.png
Pgv53XB.png
Ms8zPwX.png
ekux78o.png
Baltic | He/Him | FR Time +2
Siffrin-sprite.png please come talk to me about ISAT that game has a hold on me rn Siffrin-sprite.png
tCsqc24.png
Ut9RRot.png
gYW0j5f.png
Yw8EvNQ.png
Would it be worth it to start a thread in suggestions—https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/3245121 to rename these three poses and pave the way for real Brahmas and Cochins (and Silkies! and Polish!) in the future?

I was SO crazy-happy when I first saw the chickens… and then, yes, it’s been an increasing letdown ever since.

Edit: there’s one thread already happening, added above.
Would it be worth it to start a thread in suggestions—https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/3245121 to rename these three poses and pave the way for real Brahmas and Cochins (and Silkies! and Polish!) in the future?

I was SO crazy-happy when I first saw the chickens… and then, yes, it’s been an increasing letdown ever since.

Edit: there’s one thread already happening, added above.
NBJG3D5.gifNBJG3D5.gifNBJG3D5.gifNBJG3D5.gif
We Want Blep! Take Our money! We Want Blep! Take Our Money!

Please note - wonky eyes & busted hands; thanks for help & patience!
I swear, if the names end up being changed, I am going to audibly and visually explode. I will have to edit hundreds of saved scry templates and my apparel list of 500 dragons... Anyway, I understand these points and the concern, I wholeheartedly agree that it would have been super visually nice and interesting if all of the chickens were completely unique and fully accurate, or if the chicken names were vaguer - but remember that FR has a simplified style. The Beagle dog isn't fully precise facially either, and neither is the Mainecoon as they've been drawn much slimmer with a pointier, slimmer head and less fluff. The Staff gave us an enormous amount of apparel that I frankly didn't even expect. It's a bunch of super versatile clothes, equipment and companions you can put on your dragons to further complete their whole look. Some chickens are essentially still better than no chickens, but that's not the point here. The point is that Staff not only were trying to adjust two different chicken breeds to the same lineart to maximise the output while saving artists some time, they also had to adjust the colours of the chickens to cover a wider variety of colours. Yes, the blue Orpington isn't actually fully blue, but they wanted a blue chicken to match with blue dragons and their apparel, which are some of the most common perma dragon colours. The white Cochin isn't boney white but more like blueish white to add more variety alongside the slightly warmer and darker coloured silver Pekin. And lastly - not every chicken will look exactly the same as the other chicken of the same breed! There are clear facial and body type differences in dogs, cats, rodents, birds, etc within the same species and breed or even family. My two Guinea pigs have distinctly different faces despite the fact that they are sisters. If you look these up on Google, you can find a fitting match for the silly little guys who lost a lot of detail anyway when they were resized. [img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e9/1a/d4/e91ad49837c37f9bd7af536d189069f1.jpg[/img] [b][i]A[/i][/b] blue Orpington [img]https://www.zoo-leipzig.de/fileadmin/_processed_/6/8/csm_Zwergwelsumer_1_1f9a2f4bea.jpg[/img] [b][i]A[/i][/b] Welsummer (zwerg meaning dwarf) [img]https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/buff-brahma-chicken-excessive-multi-colored-plumage-covers-leg-foot-meat-breed-united-states-gallus-134842163.jpg[/img] [b][i]A[/i][/b] Brahma [img]https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/images/global/mc/McMurrayHatchery-WhiteLangshan.jpg[/img] [b][i]A[/i][/b] white Cochin rooster [img]https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/images/global/mc/McMurrayHatchery-Golden-Sebright-Bantam-Rooster.jpg[/img] [b][i]A[/i][/b] golden Sebright bantam The emphasis on "a" is intentional. They aren't THE ideal "specimens" of the breed, they are just some guys. Again, I get it, I too would have loved if they were a bit more precisely represented, especially the Sebright bantam because they're missing the sharp and dark laced feathers, but hey, it's small art. When I have to make accents for such a tiny finished product, a lot of the detail gets lost and it looks weird within the FR style if I keep it super realistic and detailed. FR has a style, that's the thing here.
I swear, if the names end up being changed, I am going to audibly and visually explode. I will have to edit hundreds of saved scry templates and my apparel list of 500 dragons...

Anyway, I understand these points and the concern, I wholeheartedly agree that it would have been super visually nice and interesting if all of the chickens were completely unique and fully accurate, or if the chicken names were vaguer - but remember that FR has a simplified style. The Beagle dog isn't fully precise facially either, and neither is the Mainecoon as they've been drawn much slimmer with a pointier, slimmer head and less fluff.

The Staff gave us an enormous amount of apparel that I frankly didn't even expect. It's a bunch of super versatile clothes, equipment and companions you can put on your dragons to further complete their whole look. Some chickens are essentially still better than no chickens, but that's not the point here. The point is that Staff not only were trying to adjust two different chicken breeds to the same lineart to maximise the output while saving artists some time, they also had to adjust the colours of the chickens to cover a wider variety of colours. Yes, the blue Orpington isn't actually fully blue, but they wanted a blue chicken to match with blue dragons and their apparel, which are some of the most common perma dragon colours. The white Cochin isn't boney white but more like blueish white to add more variety alongside the slightly warmer and darker coloured silver Pekin.

And lastly - not every chicken will look exactly the same as the other chicken of the same breed! There are clear facial and body type differences in dogs, cats, rodents, birds, etc within the same species and breed or even family. My two Guinea pigs have distinctly different faces despite the fact that they are sisters. If you look these up on Google, you can find a fitting match for the silly little guys who lost a lot of detail anyway when they were resized.

e91ad49837c37f9bd7af536d189069f1.jpg
A blue Orpington

csm_Zwergwelsumer_1_1f9a2f4bea.jpg
A Welsummer (zwerg meaning dwarf)

buff-brahma-chicken-excessive-multi-colored-plumage-covers-leg-foot-meat-breed-united-states-gallus-134842163.jpg
A Brahma

McMurrayHatchery-WhiteLangshan.jpg
A white Cochin rooster

McMurrayHatchery-Golden-Sebright-Bantam-Rooster.jpg
A golden Sebright bantam

The emphasis on "a" is intentional. They aren't THE ideal "specimens" of the breed, they are just some guys. Again, I get it, I too would have loved if they were a bit more precisely represented, especially the Sebright bantam because they're missing the sharp and dark laced feathers, but hey, it's small art. When I have to make accents for such a tiny finished product, a lot of the detail gets lost and it looks weird within the FR style if I keep it super realistic and detailed. FR has a style, that's the thing here.
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
Can we stop making such a big deal about this, please? I understand the frustration. However, we're arguing over chickens in a dragon dress up game. Sure, I get wanting the names to be changed. I get that. However, please stop calling the art team lazy just because the names or art doesn't fit.

Also, let's be honest. Dogs have a lot more different traits that chickens. Yes, I get that there are many different kinds of chickens, but let's compare a pug to a golden retriever or a poodle. There's obviously going to be a huge difference, and while there's many different chicken breeds and I'm sure that every chicken is unique and slightly different than another, complaining about how the dog apparel all got different line art while the chickens didn't just does not make sense in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I love chickens. I adore them. I'm all for giving the White Cochins feathery legs or changing the names to be more accurate. However, when it gets to the point when there's people arguing about it, I just don't think it's that big of a deal anymore.
Can we stop making such a big deal about this, please? I understand the frustration. However, we're arguing over chickens in a dragon dress up game. Sure, I get wanting the names to be changed. I get that. However, please stop calling the art team lazy just because the names or art doesn't fit.

Also, let's be honest. Dogs have a lot more different traits that chickens. Yes, I get that there are many different kinds of chickens, but let's compare a pug to a golden retriever or a poodle. There's obviously going to be a huge difference, and while there's many different chicken breeds and I'm sure that every chicken is unique and slightly different than another, complaining about how the dog apparel all got different line art while the chickens didn't just does not make sense in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I love chickens. I adore them. I'm all for giving the White Cochins feathery legs or changing the names to be more accurate. However, when it gets to the point when there's people arguing about it, I just don't think it's that big of a deal anymore.
jGVQbew.png Glimmer
Previously QuirkyJunimo
FR +3
Wishlist
oxDm2Un.png
CB1A5LI.png
xtBKBx8.png
mlHpBMC.png
fD64ZUR.png
7gibfJe.png
ZwbGqUa.png
luMBIla.png
lAvpyOQ.png
5vnsOgE.png
lB92wkt.png
WKH2C9p.png
co3WWXY.png 4SVfFPD.png
40QQWBU.png
hX7nLTH.gif
[quote name="Aquafilia" date="2023-06-12 11:45:19" ] Would it be worth it to start a thread in suggestions— to rename these three poses and pave the way for real Brahmas and Cochins (and Silkies! and Polish!) in the future? I was SO crazy-happy when I first saw the chickens… and then, yes, it’s been an increasing letdown ever since. [/quote] I love that chicken companions were added! I think they make an awesome addition to the critters dragons can have hanging out, but yes, some details are missing or we can throw on a 'fantasy' blanket in terms of fictional breed names like some of the other critters so folks like me can be quiet lmao. I have no control over fantasy chickens and will scoop them up for my lair regardless. I see that I did turn this into a suggestion thread. If an admin would move it, that would be fantastic. I don't have much energy atm so I won't be making another thread about this, if you would like to that's fine, just in case this one gets deleted. (: I didn't think that this post would fall under that initially but rereading it has a different feel and it does feel like I'm suggesting 'changes' be made one way or another.
Aquafilia wrote on 2023-06-12 11:45:19:
Would it be worth it to start a thread in suggestions— to rename these three poses and pave the way for real Brahmas and Cochins (and Silkies! and Polish!) in the future?

I love that chicken companions were added! I think they make an awesome addition to the critters dragons can have hanging out, but yes, some details are missing or we can throw on a 'fantasy' blanket in terms of fictional breed names like some of the other critters so folks like me can be quiet lmao. I have no control over fantasy chickens and will scoop them up for my lair regardless.

I see that I did turn this into a suggestion thread. If an admin would move it, that would be fantastic. I don't have much energy atm so I won't be making another thread about this, if you would like to that's fine, just in case this one gets deleted. (: I didn't think that this post would fall under that initially but rereading it has a different feel and it does feel like I'm suggesting 'changes' be made one way or another.
I'd also like to reiterate what Sliggooo said

Chances are (underlined so no one says that I said "they did this for sure"), the artists made the lineart first, then colored them, then named them after breeds that look similar to the coloring. That feels like what happened to me.

It would be cool if we got their own personal line art, simplified to a point (as Natron said above).

And like said above, more people know what a Yorkie or Beagle is suppose to look like. I'll be honest, I didn't know what any of the chicken breeds were suppose to look like IRL. Does that mean I don't care about chickens? No. I love birds, and chickens are birds. Hell, I've wanted chickens for a while. I just can't afford the price to harbor them and feed them.

Everyone arguing needs to just take a break, step away, and cool off for a bit. Somethings have been said that didn't need to, and accusations on a browser game is always bad. No one knows the person IRL, so really no one gets a say in what their beliefs or anything are.
I'd also like to reiterate what Sliggooo said

Chances are (underlined so no one says that I said "they did this for sure"), the artists made the lineart first, then colored them, then named them after breeds that look similar to the coloring. That feels like what happened to me.

It would be cool if we got their own personal line art, simplified to a point (as Natron said above).

And like said above, more people know what a Yorkie or Beagle is suppose to look like. I'll be honest, I didn't know what any of the chicken breeds were suppose to look like IRL. Does that mean I don't care about chickens? No. I love birds, and chickens are birds. Hell, I've wanted chickens for a while. I just can't afford the price to harbor them and feed them.

Everyone arguing needs to just take a break, step away, and cool off for a bit. Somethings have been said that didn't need to, and accusations on a browser game is always bad. No one knows the person IRL, so really no one gets a say in what their beliefs or anything are.
ooo IJkKw0f.pngo K H U Z D U L
- - - - - - - - - - -
SHE/HER +0
25 LIBRA
oo Avatar dragon
Lore
About me
Pings ok!
• Did you hatch an
Abyss/Copper/X gen1,
but don't want them?
Don't exalt them! Hit me up ;)
its fine to point out inconsistencies with the names, but when it comes to critiques of the art please keep in mind the tremendous amount of work this update must have been. not only did we get a ton of apparel (which needs to work on all moderns, remember) but also scenes, vistas, and familiars. plus the shop art and UI elements!

we don't know exactly how the work is split between the creative department, but we can assume that artists don't just work on one element but rather they jump between projects. for example, we've seen Undel working on both apparel recolors and ancient dragons in the livestreams. and considering there's still a modern in development as well, I imagine everyone had busy schedules. as a professional artist I hope people can keep this in mind when they see linework get reused now and again. sometimes you have to prioritize your efforts, and there was a lot of art that went into the update!

(not directing this at op btw, more at people calling the art 'lazy')
its fine to point out inconsistencies with the names, but when it comes to critiques of the art please keep in mind the tremendous amount of work this update must have been. not only did we get a ton of apparel (which needs to work on all moderns, remember) but also scenes, vistas, and familiars. plus the shop art and UI elements!

we don't know exactly how the work is split between the creative department, but we can assume that artists don't just work on one element but rather they jump between projects. for example, we've seen Undel working on both apparel recolors and ancient dragons in the livestreams. and considering there's still a modern in development as well, I imagine everyone had busy schedules. as a professional artist I hope people can keep this in mind when they see linework get reused now and again. sometimes you have to prioritize your efforts, and there was a lot of art that went into the update!

(not directing this at op btw, more at people calling the art 'lazy')
dOfXepK.gif
@LadyoftheGeneral
I find it interesting how you're the one mainly talking here and OP really hasn't said anything besides the fact that they wish the chickens were just slightly more realistic. If this is an issue you care about, perhaps you should contact the mods or post in suggestions instead of arguing with random people online. That way this game overall can be improved.
@LadyoftheGeneral
I find it interesting how you're the one mainly talking here and OP really hasn't said anything besides the fact that they wish the chickens were just slightly more realistic. If this is an issue you care about, perhaps you should contact the mods or post in suggestions instead of arguing with random people online. That way this game overall can be improved.
earthshieldr.pngQhY7AgE.png
Yeah because OP and I talk on discord separately lmao

And now they’re wondering if they should delete the thread because people got too tilted that I said they should have tried harder to NAME the chickens. I said NOTHING about the art. It’s the NAMES I took issue with and I think I made that decently clear in my follow-up comments.

It’s so common for people to dismiss chickens, birds, and other non-dog and cat pets as “lesser” animals because they aren’t dogs and cats. Especially if they’re animals that are often bred for human consumption, like fowl, poultry, and livestock. Am I making assumptions when I said that? Sure, of course I am. I’m not in Lumenwood’s head. But I’m also allowed to state what their argument sounds like, which is to say, it sounds a lot like every other person who’s ever argued that non-cat-and-dog pegs are “lesser” animals and not “real” pets. And I know for a fact people would be a lot more upset if the dog breeds didn’t look stylized but recognizable (to the person who said the beagle’s face isn’t spot-on, no one ever said the art needed to be spot-on, the fact is it’s still blatantly recognizable as a BEAGLE, no one’s expecting the damn conformation to be an 11/10 perfect replica of the most recent Westminster Beagle placer)

These are just recognizable as “chicken”.

And for the umpteenth time for anyone else unable to read, I said the NAMES are the part they didn’t try on. If you did the art first, come up with better names instead of ones that don't fit. By extension, if the names came first do better research. The art’s lovely! It always is! Not really the point of MY specific statement though.
Yeah because OP and I talk on discord separately lmao

And now they’re wondering if they should delete the thread because people got too tilted that I said they should have tried harder to NAME the chickens. I said NOTHING about the art. It’s the NAMES I took issue with and I think I made that decently clear in my follow-up comments.

It’s so common for people to dismiss chickens, birds, and other non-dog and cat pets as “lesser” animals because they aren’t dogs and cats. Especially if they’re animals that are often bred for human consumption, like fowl, poultry, and livestock. Am I making assumptions when I said that? Sure, of course I am. I’m not in Lumenwood’s head. But I’m also allowed to state what their argument sounds like, which is to say, it sounds a lot like every other person who’s ever argued that non-cat-and-dog pegs are “lesser” animals and not “real” pets. And I know for a fact people would be a lot more upset if the dog breeds didn’t look stylized but recognizable (to the person who said the beagle’s face isn’t spot-on, no one ever said the art needed to be spot-on, the fact is it’s still blatantly recognizable as a BEAGLE, no one’s expecting the damn conformation to be an 11/10 perfect replica of the most recent Westminster Beagle placer)

These are just recognizable as “chicken”.

And for the umpteenth time for anyone else unable to read, I said the NAMES are the part they didn’t try on. If you did the art first, come up with better names instead of ones that don't fit. By extension, if the names came first do better research. The art’s lovely! It always is! Not really the point of MY specific statement though.
1 2 3 4 5