Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Art Etiquette Help
1 2
EDIT: Before, I was vague about the "object." [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/3158908/1#post_51922072]It's a book[/url]. Like a book on a bookshelf. Like this. [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/kdY5bdS.png[/img][img]https://i.imgur.com/qxiCa3E.png[/img][img]https://i.imgur.com/xaFjGs6.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/474327/47432632p.png[/img][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/275672/27567108p.png[/img][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/788873/78887202p.png[/img][/center] Which looks like [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/adopt/3058106#post_3058106]these[/url]. There you go. Original post to follow. ----- Years ago I had the idea to make a certain sort of set of pixel-art things for my dragons - but it turned out someone had made "adopt" type things of the object I was going to make and was selling them. Even though I was never planning on selling the ones I was going to make, I therefore never made my own for my dragons. The disappointment apparently never went away - fast-forward five years, nine months, and three weeks, give or take a few days - because I still think about it. So here is my question. Would it be frowned upon to make these pixel-things of my own? Keep in mind, [b]these are objects, not dragons[/b]. I'm not that good an artist. But I definitely did a ton of this kind of pixel work in my youth. This pixel shop is very old (it does predate my own desire to make these kinds of things for FR by a few months) and still pretty popular. My own thing would not directly copy this other person's art (obviously), but the nature of the object is such that there is always going to be a distinct similarity... And, yeah, I'm not willing to (1) wait for pinglists or (2) pay for something I have done/want to do myself. But I don't want people to think I'm stealing, either. Even if I don't think this particular idea [i]can[/i] be "stolen," I guess it matters whether people think it's stolen, you know? And, given how easy this thing is to create even for the crudest artist (me), I can only imagine a reason everyone is buying from this shop is because it would be rude not to. So, uh. Thoughts?
EDIT: Before, I was vague about the "object." It's a book. Like a book on a bookshelf. Like this.
kdY5bdS.pngqxiCa3E.pngxaFjGs6.png
47432632p.png27567108p.png78887202p.png
Which looks like these. There you go. Original post to follow.

Years ago I had the idea to make a certain sort of set of pixel-art things for my dragons - but it turned out someone had made "adopt" type things of the object I was going to make and was selling them. Even though I was never planning on selling the ones I was going to make, I therefore never made my own for my dragons.

The disappointment apparently never went away - fast-forward five years, nine months, and three weeks, give or take a few days - because I still think about it.

So here is my question. Would it be frowned upon to make these pixel-things of my own?
Keep in mind, these are objects, not dragons. I'm not that good an artist. But I definitely did a ton of this kind of pixel work in my youth.
This pixel shop is very old (it does predate my own desire to make these kinds of things for FR by a few months) and still pretty popular.
My own thing would not directly copy this other person's art (obviously), but the nature of the object is such that there is always going to be a distinct similarity...
And, yeah, I'm not willing to (1) wait for pinglists or (2) pay for something I have done/want to do myself.

But I don't want people to think I'm stealing, either. Even if I don't think this particular idea can be "stolen," I guess it matters whether people think it's stolen, you know?

And, given how easy this thing is to create even for the crudest artist (me), I can only imagine a reason everyone is buying from this shop is because it would be rude not to.

So, uh. Thoughts?
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
You are perfectly within your rights to made art for your own dragons.
You are perfectly within your rights to made art for your own dragons.
045c60ad-113a-4a94-99a7-3d2d45550599_100x100.pngy8UIEi9.pngg51KshI.png
You know how one of the main encouragements for budding artists is a long the lines of "no matter what your art looks like - good, bad, or anything in between - it is important to make art because no one in the world makes your art except you?" It partially stems from the fact that no matter what art you make, it has your spin on it. Your life's experiences come through in tiny, immeasurable details. Make that dang art.

As for it seeming to be "stolen," you could think of it like wooden furniture. It is not "stealing" the idea of a desk or a cabinet or whathaveyou if I'd rather make my own with my own two hands instead of buy one - and you can say as much in your thread if you post them! You simply had the same idea, and wanted to make it! No one is required to buy them from YOU instead, and if they have a problem with it then they can take that energy elsewhere.

If you're feeling REALLY bothered by the possible flak you'd receive from well-meaning fans of the other art, you can go out of your way to put a specific twist on YOUR art that the other artist(s) doesn't have.
You know how one of the main encouragements for budding artists is a long the lines of "no matter what your art looks like - good, bad, or anything in between - it is important to make art because no one in the world makes your art except you?" It partially stems from the fact that no matter what art you make, it has your spin on it. Your life's experiences come through in tiny, immeasurable details. Make that dang art.

As for it seeming to be "stolen," you could think of it like wooden furniture. It is not "stealing" the idea of a desk or a cabinet or whathaveyou if I'd rather make my own with my own two hands instead of buy one - and you can say as much in your thread if you post them! You simply had the same idea, and wanted to make it! No one is required to buy them from YOU instead, and if they have a problem with it then they can take that energy elsewhere.

If you're feeling REALLY bothered by the possible flak you'd receive from well-meaning fans of the other art, you can go out of your way to put a specific twist on YOUR art that the other artist(s) doesn't have.
cM8dUFr.png
Just go for it man. Who cares. It's not like that other artist has exclusive rights to being the Only Person on this website allowed to draw a specific object.

If anyone tries to make a fuss out of it that's on them for being weird as hell.
Just go for it man. Who cares. It's not like that other artist has exclusive rights to being the Only Person on this website allowed to draw a specific object.

If anyone tries to make a fuss out of it that's on them for being weird as hell.
Sharpened Serthis Spear
I am the patron saint of having bad taste
(insert joke about heated water towers here)
unless you’re specifically recreating that artist’s style, people really can’t complain about you drawing a similar idea or object or whatever. it’s gonna be in your own style anyway.

actually art style theft isn’t even a thing— the only issue in this case would be if you’re specifically trying to draw their exact adopts to get ‘em without paying. which you obviously aren’t. so go nuts.
unless you’re specifically recreating that artist’s style, people really can’t complain about you drawing a similar idea or object or whatever. it’s gonna be in your own style anyway.

actually art style theft isn’t even a thing— the only issue in this case would be if you’re specifically trying to draw their exact adopts to get ‘em without paying. which you obviously aren’t. so go nuts.
8aKVtucC_o.png
Unless you're literally tracing, intentionally recreating pixel-by-pixel, or editing over the other artist's work, it's not "stealing" to draw a common real world object.
Unless you're literally tracing, intentionally recreating pixel-by-pixel, or editing over the other artist's work, it's not "stealing" to draw a common real world object.
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
[quote name="Zenzic" ] Unless you're literally tracing, intentionally recreating pixel-by-pixel, or editing over the other artist's work, it's not "stealing" to draw a common real world object. [/quote] what everyone else said, as long as its not a straight up trace youre perfectly fine!
Zenzic wrote:
what everyone else said, as long as its not a straight up trace youre perfectly fine!
[LvA] Public Buy[LvA] OOF Raffle[LvA] OOF Hub[LvA] IF Raffle[LvA] Illuminarti
If you want to make your own just in your own art style you should go for it. Especially if you had had the idea before acknowledgement of the other users' pixel shop. If these are objects that you're giving/selling it's also different, too.
If you want to make your own just in your own art style you should go for it. Especially if you had had the idea before acknowledgement of the other users' pixel shop. If these are objects that you're giving/selling it's also different, too.
CFFUclk.png ---•----•----•----•----•----•----•----•---•----•---
---•----•----•----•----•----•----•----•---•----•---
{100 Generations Challenge}
c4a5xZL.png
Thank you to everyone who's responded. I went ahead and looked at the famous [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/adopt/3058106#post_49016052]Library[/url] books versus mine, and I think the difference is pretty obvious, personally. The folks over at the library are obviously keeping their books to three colors, because they are meant to be recolored in three colors. And while I want to do the same thing... [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/kdY5bdS.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/474327/47432632p.png[/img][/center] mine have more colors (because theoretically I won't be recoloring the holly for any of my other dragons, for example...). More "detail," if you will. The result is, I think, mine look... well, they definitely look different, anyway. Mine look less-fancy, less like a gilded antique book, I guess. Not to say that mine always have more than three colors, just that some of them for sure do.
Thank you to everyone who's responded.

I went ahead and looked at the famous Library books versus mine, and I think the difference is pretty obvious, personally. The folks over at the library are obviously keeping their books to three colors, because they are meant to be recolored in three colors. And while I want to do the same thing...
kdY5bdS.png 47432632p.png
mine have more colors (because theoretically I won't be recoloring the holly for any of my other dragons, for example...). More "detail," if you will. The result is, I think, mine look... well, they definitely look different, anyway. Mine look less-fancy, less like a gilded antique book, I guess. Not to say that mine always have more than three colors, just that some of them for sure do.
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
[quote name="juunebugs" date="2022-08-05 14:44:54" ] [quote name="Zenzic" ] Unless you're literally tracing, intentionally recreating pixel-by-pixel, or editing over the other artist's work, it's not "stealing" to draw a common real world object. [/quote] what everyone else said, as long as its not a straight up trace youre perfectly fine! [/quote] I made the book in my previous post with the line tool in MS Paint. I did draw the holly, and I don't think the Library has a holly design; but, honestly, it looks like I could have traced that book. While I wouldn't call what I've done [i]tracing[/i]... books are rectangles with rounded edges. If you want to put them in a signature, they have to be about 100px all. And a book is going to have a recognizable length:height ratio. And if it's supposed to be a hardback (hence the rounded edges), then it's gonna have a darker bit on the side where the cover adheres to the front pieces.
juunebugs wrote on 2022-08-05 14:44:54:
Zenzic wrote:
what everyone else said, as long as its not a straight up trace youre perfectly fine!
I made the book in my previous post with the line tool in MS Paint. I did draw the holly, and I don't think the Library has a holly design; but, honestly, it looks like I could have traced that book.

While I wouldn't call what I've done tracing... books are rectangles with rounded edges. If you want to put them in a signature, they have to be about 100px all. And a book is going to have a recognizable length:height ratio. And if it's supposed to be a hardback (hence the rounded edges), then it's gonna have a darker bit on the side where the cover adheres to the front pieces.
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
1 2