Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Lore Whining Days v2 [Thread Closed]
1 2 ... 228 229 230 231 232 ... 280 281
Oh wow, not sure if there even is a pinglist but I would love to be on it! Otherwise I think I might just sub to the thread! Somehow I had no idea this existed, or never cared for it for some reason.

I'll try to get some lore on today! let's goo! :D
Oh wow, not sure if there even is a pinglist but I would love to be on it! Otherwise I think I might just sub to the thread! Somehow I had no idea this existed, or never cared for it for some reason.

I'll try to get some lore on today! let's goo! :D
JxXWPTT.png
Coli guide
_ BjzISWz.png
FR Goals
_ 9gI0bgp.png
Art shop
_ Undying-Featherback.png
Lair map
_ Rat-King.png
Pixels
_ 4bPVjcz.png
Site
_ Venomous-Toridae.png
BBCode guide
_ WAYSTONECROPPED.gif
I finished up Erebus's profile in between last LWD and this one, I had plans to work on Eostre today, but nothing is cooperating with me right now (I have to level dragons and do some major pest control around my house).

As for lore threads... they don't work for me. I can barely maintain my projects/challenge threads, nevermind a lore-intensive one ( that people may stumble upon more easily, too, ;___; ), but I do have a lore hub of sorts in a dragon bio, with setting lore, lore for specific groups of dragons, and tidbits at the end about hazards my clan(s) face and how they deal with commerce and diplomacy with others. It's barely written up, but I've found it to be a less overwhelming alternative to a thread.
I finished up Erebus's profile in between last LWD and this one, I had plans to work on Eostre today, but nothing is cooperating with me right now (I have to level dragons and do some major pest control around my house).

As for lore threads... they don't work for me. I can barely maintain my projects/challenge threads, nevermind a lore-intensive one ( that people may stumble upon more easily, too, ;___; ), but I do have a lore hub of sorts in a dragon bio, with setting lore, lore for specific groups of dragons, and tidbits at the end about hazards my clan(s) face and how they deal with commerce and diplomacy with others. It's barely written up, but I've found it to be a less overwhelming alternative to a thread.
UwPE0Qp.png
@Amayai - Added! c:
@Amayai - Added! c:
yellow flag icon linking to After's Lair Directory
After
They/them

< Lair Directory
Sig Spotlight >
Coliseum banner showing After's avatar dragon, a steel blue and black Spiral.Coliseum banner showing a black and red Coatl.
Coliseum banner showing a Wildclaw with flames and a soot-covered face.Coliseum banner showing a black and beige Skydancer.
Honestly the things I'm looking for, at least in a dragon bio, is stuff about the dragon and not lore dump that's not about the dragon or has very little to do with the dragon I'm looking at.

For myself (for dragon bios)....I think I prioritize different things based on the groups I've put my dragons in...And even then I've got mini groups in groups. So for some lore I prioritize a common event and just...try to write around that for any connected dragons. If there's no common event then at best try to write a mini backstory plus where are they now. Or just a general quick summary of the dragon or something like that.
Honestly for my lore dragons, I even use different bio layouts to designate "NPC" vs "non NPC" types and which groups they belong to. And that kinda helps me figure out what's important when writing their lore too.

NGL I forgot that Lore Threads were a thing. I sorta-kinda noped on a full on thread for lore and am designating dragons (+ Lair tab) to give brief info about lore bits I think might be useful if people stop by. I'm still working out what info they'll hold onto but that's what I'm doing. I'm overall 50/50 on if I should even make a proper directory for lore dragons but...idk yet

My goal for today...is to get this guy's bio started...or at least properly draft lore info, especially since I redid the bio layout since I realized he's gonna need more than a blurb....and/or finish the rest of the lore for the dragons in this tab.

Edit: Also from reading a few response and the dislike of lorem ipsum..which I am...sooooo guilty of. Even though it's still lorem ipsum..for a few of my dragons filler i use alternate lorem ipsum. Ages ago I was going to swap all my shopkeepers to appropriate alt. lorem ipsum just for variety...since even I was tired of staring at standard lorem ipsum.

Honestly the things I'm looking for, at least in a dragon bio, is stuff about the dragon and not lore dump that's not about the dragon or has very little to do with the dragon I'm looking at.

For myself (for dragon bios)....I think I prioritize different things based on the groups I've put my dragons in...And even then I've got mini groups in groups. So for some lore I prioritize a common event and just...try to write around that for any connected dragons. If there's no common event then at best try to write a mini backstory plus where are they now. Or just a general quick summary of the dragon or something like that.
Honestly for my lore dragons, I even use different bio layouts to designate "NPC" vs "non NPC" types and which groups they belong to. And that kinda helps me figure out what's important when writing their lore too.

NGL I forgot that Lore Threads were a thing. I sorta-kinda noped on a full on thread for lore and am designating dragons (+ Lair tab) to give brief info about lore bits I think might be useful if people stop by. I'm still working out what info they'll hold onto but that's what I'm doing. I'm overall 50/50 on if I should even make a proper directory for lore dragons but...idk yet

My goal for today...is to get this guy's bio started...or at least properly draft lore info, especially since I redid the bio layout since I realized he's gonna need more than a blurb....and/or finish the rest of the lore for the dragons in this tab.

Edit: Also from reading a few response and the dislike of lorem ipsum..which I am...sooooo guilty of. Even though it's still lorem ipsum..for a few of my dragons filler i use alternate lorem ipsum. Ages ago I was going to swap all my shopkeepers to appropriate alt. lorem ipsum just for variety...since even I was tired of staring at standard lorem ipsum.

This is your reminder to have a back up or save your work frequently, because I accidentally clicked away and lost what I'd written :(

Anyway, I think I remembered most of what I'd written, so Bramble's bio has some stuff now.
This is your reminder to have a back up or save your work frequently, because I accidentally clicked away and lost what I'd written :(

Anyway, I think I remembered most of what I'd written, so Bramble's bio has some stuff now.
JWACnXB.gif UxreU62.png yMwAJm4.gif

Yee...how is it the 24th already? ^^;;;

I had a lore thread for the first iteration of my lair, but I petered out with it. I'd like to have some sort of central collection of my new lore, so I may try again at some point. Or I may just resort to google docs. :P

The challenge that I struggle with (aside from the actual sitting down to write, of course) is making my lore dynamic. I come up with my dragons' personalities, abilities, relationships, and I include hints of things that might happen in the future...and then they just sit there in a kind of permanent stasis. There isn't really an active story happening. And I suppose there doesn't have to be a story--my clan could just be a collection of interesting characters--but I think that's at least part of why my old clan went stagnant. So I'd like my lore thread/docs to not just contain background info (location, culture, overall organization, context and allies, etc.), but also to be an ongoing account of events and changes. Of course, that makes the whole thing more complicated....

As for what I look for in a bio, for the most part I like to see a concise but engagingly written description of the dragon--a few paragraphs, maybe some bullet points--with links to other dragons that they have relationships with. A bit of short fiction is nice too, nothing too long and elaborate, but enough to get a taste of who they are and what their life is like.

That said, I've seen some truly excellent long bios, and there have been lairs where I've just sat and read through every single dragon because it's all such a wonderful, interwoven whole. For me, a good bio is ultimately all about characterization, coherence, style, and voice.

(Lorem ipsum drives me spare.)

So what am I actually doing for today? Uh...maybe sketching out some organization for that hypothetical lore thread?

@Hyzenthlaay Meatloaf is delightful! :D

@HSoup I love your CYOA format. It's super creative and fun!

Yee...how is it the 24th already? ^^;;;

I had a lore thread for the first iteration of my lair, but I petered out with it. I'd like to have some sort of central collection of my new lore, so I may try again at some point. Or I may just resort to google docs. :P

The challenge that I struggle with (aside from the actual sitting down to write, of course) is making my lore dynamic. I come up with my dragons' personalities, abilities, relationships, and I include hints of things that might happen in the future...and then they just sit there in a kind of permanent stasis. There isn't really an active story happening. And I suppose there doesn't have to be a story--my clan could just be a collection of interesting characters--but I think that's at least part of why my old clan went stagnant. So I'd like my lore thread/docs to not just contain background info (location, culture, overall organization, context and allies, etc.), but also to be an ongoing account of events and changes. Of course, that makes the whole thing more complicated....

As for what I look for in a bio, for the most part I like to see a concise but engagingly written description of the dragon--a few paragraphs, maybe some bullet points--with links to other dragons that they have relationships with. A bit of short fiction is nice too, nothing too long and elaborate, but enough to get a taste of who they are and what their life is like.

That said, I've seen some truly excellent long bios, and there have been lairs where I've just sat and read through every single dragon because it's all such a wonderful, interwoven whole. For me, a good bio is ultimately all about characterization, coherence, style, and voice.

(Lorem ipsum drives me spare.)

So what am I actually doing for today? Uh...maybe sketching out some organization for that hypothetical lore thread?

@Hyzenthlaay Meatloaf is delightful! :D

@HSoup I love your CYOA format. It's super creative and fun!
MmSftql.png
@After Uhhh... I always like to know about relationships with other dragons, as well as why they are currently in the clan. And when I write lore, I like to include stuff about a dragon's daily life, but mostly just for the initial set up. When the plot gets rolling (1 to 3 paragraphs) it will normally be wild and crazy drama. And hoo boy, as for non-canon stuff? I have my own personal lore for Obelisks which I wrote today, instead of my usual lore. Soooo... lore threads... riiiiight... I've been trying to make one too, but I never seem to get around to it... As for what comes after location, I recommend choosing an antagonist and a protagonist for the story line. From there, begin to build relations between them and others. This can help decide roles too, if you don't have any in mind, or you can use roles you already have to choose whether that particular character will be neutral, helpful, or unhelpful. (I recommend avoiding having too many neutral characters, as they tend to act like NPCs.) Unfortunately, I haven't seen any good guides recently, but if I do, I'll point you their way! I might make one of my own soon too! I wish you luck on your lore-writing journey! ANYWAY, the lore I did this week... right so... I got through another chunk of Raven's lore, and got down some personal lore for the obelisks! [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/66156356][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/661564/66156356_350.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/70142320][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/701424/70142320_350.png[/img][/url]
@After

Uhhh... I always like to know about relationships with other dragons, as well as why they are currently in the clan. And when I write lore, I like to include stuff about a dragon's daily life, but mostly just for the initial set up. When the plot gets rolling (1 to 3 paragraphs) it will normally be wild and crazy drama. And hoo boy, as for non-canon stuff? I have my own personal lore for Obelisks which I wrote today, instead of my usual lore.

Soooo... lore threads... riiiiight... I've been trying to make one too, but I never seem to get around to it... As for what comes after location, I recommend choosing an antagonist and a protagonist for the story line. From there, begin to build relations between them and others. This can help decide roles too, if you don't have any in mind, or you can use roles you already have to choose whether that particular character will be neutral, helpful, or unhelpful. (I recommend avoiding having too many neutral characters, as they tend to act like NPCs.)

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any good guides recently, but if I do, I'll point you their way! I might make one of my own soon too! I wish you luck on your lore-writing journey!

ANYWAY, the lore I did this week... right so...

I got through another chunk of Raven's lore, and got down some personal lore for the obelisks!

66156356_350.png

70142320_350.png
wolf_animated6.gif____________Don't mind the lore, I swear I'm nice!_____________sV98jdU.png
Got busy today and only got a few paragraphs down with Lancir, will work on and off with it after this before I go to bed. Also have to fully format her bio once I've written it all down. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/70206845][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/702069/70206845_350.png[/img][/url]
Got busy today and only got a few paragraphs down with Lancir, will work on and off with it after this before I go to bed. Also have to fully format her bio once I've written it all down.

70206845_350.png
unEaUkh.png - She/they/xe
- Tales of Eotera (Lore Thread)
9fbec014932d0afc30da6fd2c36bc2ad26496952.png
I didn't get much done since I had an exam but I did get the start for Rhodolite I think :D [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/70112583][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/701126/70112583_350.png[/img][/url]
I didn't get much done since I had an exam but I did get the start for Rhodolite I think :D

70112583_350.png
VYQwMuq.gif
Gotta whine a little. Sleeping disorder made me sleep through the day and I can sort of feel that I'm not out of it yet so I'm just going to go back to sleep and skip this LWD.

However this is my reminder to myself to change the button in my dig. I'm sure I'll forget it anyway, but it's worth a try.

Good job to everyone who was more successful than me though!
Gotta whine a little. Sleeping disorder made me sleep through the day and I can sort of feel that I'm not out of it yet so I'm just going to go back to sleep and skip this LWD.

However this is my reminder to myself to change the button in my dig. I'm sure I'll forget it anyway, but it's worth a try.

Good job to everyone who was more successful than me though!
redoing this soon
1 2 ... 228 229 230 231 232 ... 280 281