Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Keel: A New Tertiary Gene
1 2 ... 58 59 60 61 62 ... 81 82
what i'm trying and failing to understand is where the "in-pain" suggestion comes from. it doesn't resemble a tick or a nail, more of an esoteric glass-shape. it'll find its home in Plague lairs like ours, that i can be certain of.

but even so, i think it is very important to understand the concept of "you are not obligated to use this feature"
what i'm trying and failing to understand is where the "in-pain" suggestion comes from. it doesn't resemble a tick or a nail, more of an esoteric glass-shape. it'll find its home in Plague lairs like ours, that i can be certain of.

but even so, i think it is very important to understand the concept of "you are not obligated to use this feature"
available 9:00 - 19:00 server time
[quote name="Recallback" date="2020-04-09 21:52:18" ] Sad a lot of people don't like this or even hate it, I honestly have come to adore it because there's so many interesting ways you can use this. I've seen it used on a lot of gem ore dragons and as icicles and I ADORE IT being used like that. It's such a nice subtle tert! While I would have liked some better shading admittedly, I do like this gene a lot. Really don't get why everyone says it looks painful tho, but maybe that's just a dif perspectives thing [/quote] I think that's the problem. There are situations where it might work, as.. ice or cookie chips, or body horror. But as the scales it was named for? Doesn't really cut it. Not that this has zero use, but that it's disappointed to be named as such and not really giving the dragon a scaly appearance. I would love a full body scale primary gene, but I sadly think tundras are what would hold that back. More strategic patches or lines of scales for a tertiary would have been better than what we got, I think. This really just looks like an unpleasing flowerfall to me, not scales.
Recallback wrote on 2020-04-09 21:52:18:
Sad a lot of people don't like this or even hate it, I honestly have come to adore it because there's so many interesting ways you can use this. I've seen it used on a lot of gem ore dragons and as icicles and I ADORE IT being used like that.
It's such a nice subtle tert! While I would have liked some better shading admittedly, I do like this gene a lot.
Really don't get why everyone says it looks painful tho, but maybe that's just a dif perspectives thing

I think that's the problem. There are situations where it might work, as.. ice or cookie chips, or body horror. But as the scales it was named for? Doesn't really cut it. Not that this has zero use, but that it's disappointed to be named as such and not really giving the dragon a scaly appearance.
I would love a full body scale primary gene, but I sadly think tundras are what would hold that back. More strategic patches or lines of scales for a tertiary would have been better than what we got, I think. This really just looks like an unpleasing flowerfall to me, not scales.
(This needs to be updated but I am lazy)
Keel seems like some kind of weird mutation that just happens to look cool instead of being dangerous lol. Like those fish whose scales grow out of line and look crazy.
Keel seems like some kind of weird mutation that just happens to look cool instead of being dangerous lol. Like those fish whose scales grow out of line and look crazy.
KgVQIRc.png J5GZRc7.png wg8Hj9y.gif rD9Krdj.gif eVePoiw.gif
I've collected the different fan made keel versions into this suggestion thread

I definitely think Keel is one of the genes that would benefit from having different variations of the gene, the versions people have come up with are incredible and I hope staff take notice
I've collected the different fan made keel versions into this suggestion thread

I definitely think Keel is one of the genes that would benefit from having different variations of the gene, the versions people have come up with are incredible and I hope staff take notice
[quote name="TalonDuCouteau" date="2020-04-09 21:47:40" ] I want to like this gene, and in some cases I do! But these and a few of the recent genes ([b]Fade, Blend[/b]) seem really lazy. I would rather wait a long time for a good set of genes than have a bunch of poor-quality, hastily made ones. [/quote] I actually think Fade/Blend are more on the simple side rather than being lazy... Like, it gives us an effect similar to Iri/Shim but without the gem cost and shine. Then again, I'm someone who takes the most complicated route for a really simple problem, so I might not be the best judge! :) Although I do have to agree with Keel being a bit... "off" like everyone is saying. I think it's the placement of scales - they don't "flow" with the dragon. I mean, some keeled scales on reptiles can look a little jarring, but they are still obviously a part of them and go with the rest of the scales. They don't look like they can get ripped out with the slightest movement, which is the impression I get from this gene. I enjoy the idea of it, don't get me wrong, I just think a little bit of tweaking is necessary. Also those familiars are adorable.
TalonDuCouteau wrote on 2020-04-09 21:47:40:
I want to like this gene, and in some cases I do! But these and a few of the recent genes (Fade, Blend) seem really lazy. I would rather wait a long time for a good set of genes than have a bunch of poor-quality, hastily made ones.

I actually think Fade/Blend are more on the simple side rather than being lazy... Like, it gives us an effect similar to Iri/Shim but without the gem cost and shine. Then again, I'm someone who takes the most complicated route for a really simple problem, so I might not be the best judge! :)

Although I do have to agree with Keel being a bit... "off" like everyone is saying. I think it's the placement of scales - they don't "flow" with the dragon. I mean, some keeled scales on reptiles can look a little jarring, but they are still obviously a part of them and go with the rest of the scales. They don't look like they can get ripped out with the slightest movement, which is the impression I get from this gene. I enjoy the idea of it, don't get me wrong, I just think a little bit of tweaking is necessary.

Also those familiars are adorable.
I am always very happy to see updates on this site! Fiona's new familiars are cute, as always, but I do have some things to say about the new tert. I hate to complain, and I really do appreciate the time and effort the artists put into the new content. I understand that they want to get more into this site quickly as to draw in new, and possibly old players. However, I think it would help the site in the long term if they took more time on each new 'update'. I understand that a certain level of art (particularly for so many dragons and poses) takes time, but I think I speak for many people when I say that I would be very happy to wait longer for better content.
I am always very happy to see updates on this site! Fiona's new familiars are cute, as always, but I do have some things to say about the new tert. I hate to complain, and I really do appreciate the time and effort the artists put into the new content. I understand that they want to get more into this site quickly as to draw in new, and possibly old players. However, I think it would help the site in the long term if they took more time on each new 'update'. I understand that a certain level of art (particularly for so many dragons and poses) takes time, but I think I speak for many people when I say that I would be very happy to wait longer for better content.
SsKM2S5.pngA6YLlF0.pngtDeKDnH.png
I like the new familiars, and I (like many others) would like to say that I would not at all mind waiting longer between updates if it meant receiving higher-quality genes (since genes are not (usually) edited after release and we're basically stuck with this forever).
I like the new familiars, and I (like many others) would like to say that I would not at all mind waiting longer between updates if it meant receiving higher-quality genes (since genes are not (usually) edited after release and we're basically stuck with this forever).
odcz8rb.gif paintra
she/her
art cred.
I want to mention that no one knew this gene was coming. So staff was under no time-crunch on these genes, so if people are going to call the results lacking, I think they have a right to do so.

Realize that all an artist has to make for a gene is line art and shading for the breeds this gene applies to. Lineart and shadow layer, that's all. We've already had other users come up with full colored designs in a few hours, and again it's not like we knew this gene was coming and were waiting with baited breath for it. So if an artist did one breed a day (male/female/hatchling), then they'd be done in what, 4 weeks?

I don't think the gene result we have looks like someone spent a month on the design, I am not a bad person, or a hateful one for bringing this up either.

Remember, there was no reason to rush this gene or hurry it out, at least from the player end. If staff/artist end is making them crunch out genes like this, to radio silence at this point as well, then they may need to reevaluate their design process. Because, as others have said, there's no way that after a release like Swirl/Marble, everyone on staff looked at Keel and went yup, that design totally looks on par with Swirl/Marble.

Remember, they literally wrote a program to do all the coloring for them for genes, and so long could it reasonably take a computer to play color-by-number for lineart+shadows? An hour to render them all, tops? We already know from previous releases that the genes aren't even color-checked once that process is complete (Bane all/met was released missing it's shadow layer as the most recent example).

It's like someone trying to sell you a macaroni-turkey painting for a Picasso-painiting price. Just squealing, But it took the artist the same time to make both!, doesn't mean the macaroni turkey result is on par with the Picasso result. And trying to play the "but they work so hard so don't ask them to do anything!" line is a fallacy, this is their job. Their get up, go to work, get a paycheck, job. Your job wouldn't tolerate you being at Minimum Effort%, seriously, get a paying job and drop your quality like what we have here and see what happens.

If anyone's complaining, then it's because we both know and expect a certain quality of art from FR. That's what this game was built on, basically promising really nice pet art, and standards for what user-art could become on-site art as well. That's why everyone loved the HD April Fool's joke, actually, it was a nice nod to how great the overall art style and presentation of FR is. So yeah, this gene is either a step backwards and should be checked, or something else is going wrong and forcing poor quality for some arbitrary "Gene o'clock!" release schedule.

That, again, none of the players were waiting on. This gene has no excuse to look rushed.

(Also, I'm low-key glad someone else mentioned the gene makes our dragons look like they're covered in explosion shrapnel and how that's suddenly fine when being impaled by shards of glass/crystal/ore has to cause some kind of pain and suffering. I was just thinking I was the real crazy one, but now I feel better that it's not just me that saw that.)
I want to mention that no one knew this gene was coming. So staff was under no time-crunch on these genes, so if people are going to call the results lacking, I think they have a right to do so.

Realize that all an artist has to make for a gene is line art and shading for the breeds this gene applies to. Lineart and shadow layer, that's all. We've already had other users come up with full colored designs in a few hours, and again it's not like we knew this gene was coming and were waiting with baited breath for it. So if an artist did one breed a day (male/female/hatchling), then they'd be done in what, 4 weeks?

I don't think the gene result we have looks like someone spent a month on the design, I am not a bad person, or a hateful one for bringing this up either.

Remember, there was no reason to rush this gene or hurry it out, at least from the player end. If staff/artist end is making them crunch out genes like this, to radio silence at this point as well, then they may need to reevaluate their design process. Because, as others have said, there's no way that after a release like Swirl/Marble, everyone on staff looked at Keel and went yup, that design totally looks on par with Swirl/Marble.

Remember, they literally wrote a program to do all the coloring for them for genes, and so long could it reasonably take a computer to play color-by-number for lineart+shadows? An hour to render them all, tops? We already know from previous releases that the genes aren't even color-checked once that process is complete (Bane all/met was released missing it's shadow layer as the most recent example).

It's like someone trying to sell you a macaroni-turkey painting for a Picasso-painiting price. Just squealing, But it took the artist the same time to make both!, doesn't mean the macaroni turkey result is on par with the Picasso result. And trying to play the "but they work so hard so don't ask them to do anything!" line is a fallacy, this is their job. Their get up, go to work, get a paycheck, job. Your job wouldn't tolerate you being at Minimum Effort%, seriously, get a paying job and drop your quality like what we have here and see what happens.

If anyone's complaining, then it's because we both know and expect a certain quality of art from FR. That's what this game was built on, basically promising really nice pet art, and standards for what user-art could become on-site art as well. That's why everyone loved the HD April Fool's joke, actually, it was a nice nod to how great the overall art style and presentation of FR is. So yeah, this gene is either a step backwards and should be checked, or something else is going wrong and forcing poor quality for some arbitrary "Gene o'clock!" release schedule.

That, again, none of the players were waiting on. This gene has no excuse to look rushed.

(Also, I'm low-key glad someone else mentioned the gene makes our dragons look like they're covered in explosion shrapnel and how that's suddenly fine when being impaled by shards of glass/crystal/ore has to cause some kind of pain and suffering. I was just thinking I was the real crazy one, but now I feel better that it's not just me that saw that.)
Long Patrol and Hibden
for forum games, please.
QF3R6o0.png mFu1NtF.png
[/center]
Ooo! The gene looks very cool ^^
Ooo! The gene looks very cool ^^
jfkJoieX_o.png
I really wonder why there is this need to release genes as quick as possible, sometimes even with the speed of one per month, when the userbase made it clear that they would prefer to have work with thought behind it.
Quality over quantity, and we have already definitely reached a level where there is enough quantity of genes to chose from, Keel is just one more gene thrown on the pile of lackluster terts no one will use.
Does the FR staff have an art director or any kind of quality check?

I really really try not to be salty, but genes have become such constant disappointments.
I really wonder why there is this need to release genes as quick as possible, sometimes even with the speed of one per month, when the userbase made it clear that they would prefer to have work with thought behind it.
Quality over quantity, and we have already definitely reached a level where there is enough quantity of genes to chose from, Keel is just one more gene thrown on the pile of lackluster terts no one will use.
Does the FR staff have an art director or any kind of quality check?

I really really try not to be salty, but genes have become such constant disappointments.
fuoDMXr.pngbsky - twitter - tumblr - he\they
1 2 ... 58 59 60 61 62 ... 81 82