Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Keel: A New Tertiary Gene
1 2 ... 60 61 62 63 64 ... 81 82
Would love a Roundsey dragon like this :P [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=169&bodygene=41&breed=9&element=2&eyetype=6&gender=0&tert=130&tertgene=53&winggene=41&wings=169&auth=5b8a97c81637a25ce64729a5aee5672fe3ed572c&dummyext=prev.png[/img]
Would love a Roundsey dragon like this :P

dragon?age=1&body=169&bodygene=41&breed=9&element=2&eyetype=6&gender=0&tert=130&tertgene=53&winggene=41&wings=169&auth=5b8a97c81637a25ce64729a5aee5672fe3ed572c&dummyext=prev.png
Nice! Like the new familiar recolours and new gene! [emoji=familiar heart size=1]
Nice! Like the new familiar recolours and new gene!
25781.png shadow_small.png 25780.png
I’m really trying to get over how much the scales look like they’re just stabbing through the poor things wing membrane and I’m sorry I just can’t, this just kinda... sucks. It’s great for body horror type dragons and a few others but idk man I know y’all have it in you to make better executed genes than this. Dunno how we went from terts like wraith to.. weird and anatomically incorrect genes like keel. [b]Edit[/b]: Hmmm... tried it out on this fella [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=58180327] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/581804/58180327_350.png[/img] [/url] Who is currently rocking peacock [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=58&bodygene=15&breed=3&element=2&eyetype=6&gender=0&tert=58&tertgene=24&winggene=24&wings=58&auth=037c6f88489a599087f2f32d2d8fc26e8f80c997&dummyext=prev.png[/img] But he doesn’t look terrible, just more scary [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=58&bodygene=15&breed=3&element=2&eyetype=6&gender=0&tert=58&tertgene=53&winggene=24&wings=58&auth=1614e1ddea5c79139925d97e7739e36cce2e4e40&dummyext=prev.png[/img] I have a 2nd primal boy with the same colours... maybe I’ll give him keel when I get around to scrolling him
I’m really trying to get over how much the scales look like they’re just stabbing through the poor things wing membrane and I’m sorry I just can’t, this just kinda... sucks. It’s great for body horror type dragons and a few others but idk man I know y’all have it in you to make better executed genes than this. Dunno how we went from terts like wraith to.. weird and anatomically incorrect genes like keel.

Edit:

Hmmm... tried it out on this fella

58180327_350.png

Who is currently rocking peacock

dragon?age=1&body=58&bodygene=15&breed=3&element=2&eyetype=6&gender=0&tert=58&tertgene=24&winggene=24&wings=58&auth=037c6f88489a599087f2f32d2d8fc26e8f80c997&dummyext=prev.png

But he doesn’t look terrible, just more scary

dragon?age=1&body=58&bodygene=15&breed=3&element=2&eyetype=6&gender=0&tert=58&tertgene=53&winggene=24&wings=58&auth=1614e1ddea5c79139925d97e7739e36cce2e4e40&dummyext=prev.png

I have a 2nd primal boy with the same colours... maybe I’ll give him keel when I get around to scrolling him

QcmVjST.png
[quote name="houseteeth" date="2020-04-09 19:48:12" ] I know others have redrawn it but I wanted to try. This one was quick and it's mostly for the concept, but I think representing the scales this way would be kind of cool.. [img]https://i.imgur.com/QcZOcyH.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/MLz3LSj.png[/img] [/quote] Really hope that we'll get a tertiary similar to this someday!
houseteeth wrote on 2020-04-09 19:48:12:
I know others have redrawn it but I wanted to try. This one was quick and it's mostly for the concept, but I think representing the scales this way would be kind of cool..

QcZOcyH.png

MLz3LSj.png
Really hope that we'll get a tertiary similar to this someday!
KmnIjfw.png
@DragonArbock Tunrdas and scales could work really well. Lichtdrache made a mockup in primary gene suggestions that looks really good. And even though I'm not a fan of Tunrdas those guys look very good.
Though I doubt staff would use exactly that concept to implement, even though it's exactly that many people like.
@DragonArbock Tunrdas and scales could work really well. Lichtdrache made a mockup in primary gene suggestions that looks really good. And even though I'm not a fan of Tunrdas those guys look very good.
Though I doubt staff would use exactly that concept to implement, even though it's exactly that many people like.
xeDKNxe.png
  • Introvert
  • 9+ Hrs ahead of FR time fr__arcane_by_baelfin-d8uyn6b.png
I don't see how this is scary. It just look like someon stuck a few chips on a dragon...
I don't see how this is scary. It just look like someon stuck a few chips on a dragon...
If I posted it, I'm subbed!
I gotta say while I don't hate the new gene, I can't help but add to the criticism that it does look extremely rushed and poorly executed.

The scales look awkward, on the vast majority of breeds they do not follow the body flow, and the randomness of the scale size and placement reads more as lazy than as a good scattering. A lot of the placement and extreme size difference doesn't even make sense since it doesn't look like the dragon can move. Also the twisting and not following body lines just looks like it was thrown on haphazardly.

Not to mention a lot of the shading is done poorly or scales right next to each other will have different sides shaded.

I did really want to like this gene but the more I look at it the more I can't help but notice that it does not match up to the quality of genes we've come to expect from this site. I don't think anyone on the site would mind waiting longer for quality genes as opposed to getting something that looks badly done.

Please note that this isn't a bash on the staff or artists themselves. I understand that of course none of the userbase is obligated to use these genes nor are we entitled to new genes. But I do think the staff should expect backlash when releasing something that looks as sloppy as this.
I gotta say while I don't hate the new gene, I can't help but add to the criticism that it does look extremely rushed and poorly executed.

The scales look awkward, on the vast majority of breeds they do not follow the body flow, and the randomness of the scale size and placement reads more as lazy than as a good scattering. A lot of the placement and extreme size difference doesn't even make sense since it doesn't look like the dragon can move. Also the twisting and not following body lines just looks like it was thrown on haphazardly.

Not to mention a lot of the shading is done poorly or scales right next to each other will have different sides shaded.

I did really want to like this gene but the more I look at it the more I can't help but notice that it does not match up to the quality of genes we've come to expect from this site. I don't think anyone on the site would mind waiting longer for quality genes as opposed to getting something that looks badly done.

Please note that this isn't a bash on the staff or artists themselves. I understand that of course none of the userbase is obligated to use these genes nor are we entitled to new genes. But I do think the staff should expect backlash when releasing something that looks as sloppy as this.
tXKbExw.png Please take a look at my HibDen for forum games! I store a lot of my dragons there cause I don't have space! Tabs I don't want used say so in tab description.
[quote name="Volinolona" date="2020-04-09 19:54:39" ] Er... Not to be a butt, but I really don't see anyone being 'aggressive' or 'hateful.' I don't see a whole lot of 'this is ugly, remove it' or 'I'm leaving the site because this is horrible.' I see 'I am disappointed in the quality drop' and 'this gene doesn't really make much sense because...' Both of these are actually good pieces of feedback, as rather than just hating on the art, people are expressing why they are displeased with it. This way, even if this gene isn't 'fixed' like they want it to, the staff know what we don't want.[/quote] Try reading through the entire thread again and you'll see what I mean- there don't have to be threats involved to be aggressively negative. What I am seeing is that the majority of displeasure towards this gene is nonconstructive, mean-spirited, and most of it was said before the gene was even out a full day. "Im not touching this gene with a six foot long pole" "It's like toenails growing out of someone's arm." "this is like a really late april fools isn't it" "This gene is very foul on the art side" "god just oof" "This gene? Nah." "love having a dragon that looks like it's being stabbed repeatedly with knives haphazardly copy-pasted all over it" "Maybe this is the real April fool's joke?" "i'm gonna barf who okayed this" "4 out of 10." "'gembond 2: the dollar store rip-off edition'" "this is an awful gene" "It's like someone trying to sell you a macaroni-turkey painting for a Picasso-painting price." "Keel is just one more gene thrown on the pile of lackluster terts no one will use." "poor-quality, hastily made" "I hate it." "This is quite honestly the least amount of effort and care I've seen put in a gene." "honestly kinda ugly" "This is honestly the worst gene I've ever seen" "this gene is absolutely terrible" Like, none of this is kind, much less [i]helpful[/i]. It's just mean nonsense. I get it, the sporadic scales do make this a tricky gene to work with- I can appreciate the critique towards placement and shading, and comments that express community desires for the game's continuing development. I would prefer if there weren't scales in Keel that were upside down or sideways, myself. The mock-up terts that people have made are certainly interesting and worth posting in the Suggestions forums, even if I don't really prefer them to the official version. [quote name="Volinolona" date="2020-04-09 19:54:39" ]Even if you look at other genes people don't like, they're all high quality art - even Leopard and Clouded, as simple as they are, are very beautiful and well-done genes. Heck, even Gembond is actually a beautifully done piece of art, even if I don't like it on all but a very select few dragons.[/quote] But- you might disagree with me, and that's totally okay- I don't think there's a drop in quality here. I really and truly believe that the playerbase is just extremely reactive, and that trends/tastes/opinions will continually evolve and fluctuate. For every person who wants a tert with light, full-body distribution, there's another player who wants a tert that shows up heavily on concentrated parts of the body. One person will hate random placements, another will hate clusters. Some tert will save a hopeless G1 even when another player calls it lazy trash. It goes on and on. [quote name="Volinolona" date="2020-04-09 19:54:39" ]There are also other art issues, such as the fact it does not mix well with Multigaze - though, if we're being honest, that's the fault of Multigaze, not the gene - and that people have actually mentioned being made uncomfortable by it because of some scries looking like teeth or knives, which turns it into body horror for them. Also the fact that these are being called 'keeled scales' when, while correct when it comes to the individual scale shape, is not correct in its overall appearance. [/quote] There are several genes that are named after animals or animal traits that aren't 100% accurate to their namesake- it's just a name referencing what the artists took inspiration from. And I don't think people being grossed out by it or by certain scries makes the gene inherently bad. I have seen people whose visual phobias were triggered by Gembond, Leopard/Clouded, Giraffe/Hex, Vipera/Hypnotic, Swirl/Marbled, Jaguar/Safari, and a number of the Primal eyes. That's not an issue with the site, or the art. Multi-gaze is its own barrel of issues though haha u_u; All this to say: different strokes for different folks; and if you dislike a gene or update, there are helpful ways for everyone to express desires for improvement and future updates, and there are ways that should be kept off the forums entirely.
Volinolona wrote on 2020-04-09 19:54:39:
Er... Not to be a butt, but I really don't see anyone being 'aggressive' or 'hateful.' I don't see a whole lot of 'this is ugly, remove it' or 'I'm leaving the site because this is horrible.' I see 'I am disappointed in the quality drop' and 'this gene doesn't really make much sense because...' Both of these are actually good pieces of feedback, as rather than just hating on the art, people are expressing why they are displeased with it. This way, even if this gene isn't 'fixed' like they want it to, the staff know what we don't want.

Try reading through the entire thread again and you'll see what I mean- there don't have to be threats involved to be aggressively negative. What I am seeing is that the majority of displeasure towards this gene is nonconstructive, mean-spirited, and most of it was said before the gene was even out a full day.

"Im not touching this gene with a six foot long pole"
"It's like toenails growing out of someone's arm."
"this is like a really late april fools isn't it"
"This gene is very foul on the art side"
"god just oof"
"This gene? Nah."
"love having a dragon that looks like it's being stabbed repeatedly with knives haphazardly copy-pasted all over it"
"Maybe this is the real April fool's joke?"
"i'm gonna barf who okayed this"
"4 out of 10."
"'gembond 2: the dollar store rip-off edition'"
"this is an awful gene"
"It's like someone trying to sell you a macaroni-turkey painting for a Picasso-painting price."
"Keel is just one more gene thrown on the pile of lackluster terts no one will use."
"poor-quality, hastily made"
"I hate it."
"This is quite honestly the least amount of effort and care I've seen put in a gene."
"honestly kinda ugly"
"This is honestly the worst gene I've ever seen"
"this gene is absolutely terrible"

Like, none of this is kind, much less helpful. It's just mean nonsense. I get it, the sporadic scales do make this a tricky gene to work with- I can appreciate the critique towards placement and shading, and comments that express community desires for the game's continuing development. I would prefer if there weren't scales in Keel that were upside down or sideways, myself. The mock-up terts that people have made are certainly interesting and worth posting in the Suggestions forums, even if I don't really prefer them to the official version.

Even if you look at other genes people don't like, they're all high quality art - even Leopard and Clouded, as simple as they are, are very beautiful and well-done genes. Heck, even Gembond is actually a beautifully done piece of art, even if I don't like it on all but a very select few dragons.

But- you might disagree with me, and that's totally okay- I don't think there's a drop in quality here. I really and truly believe that the playerbase is just extremely reactive, and that trends/tastes/opinions will continually evolve and fluctuate. For every person who wants a tert with light, full-body distribution, there's another player who wants a tert that shows up heavily on concentrated parts of the body. One person will hate random placements, another will hate clusters. Some tert will save a hopeless G1 even when another player calls it lazy trash. It goes on and on.

There are also other art issues, such as the fact it does not mix well with Multigaze - though, if we're being honest, that's the fault of Multigaze, not the gene - and that people have actually mentioned being made uncomfortable by it because of some scries looking like teeth or knives, which turns it into body horror for them. Also the fact that these are being called 'keeled scales' when, while correct when it comes to the individual scale shape, is not correct in its overall appearance.

There are several genes that are named after animals or animal traits that aren't 100% accurate to their namesake- it's just a name referencing what the artists took inspiration from. And I don't think people being grossed out by it or by certain scries makes the gene inherently bad. I have seen people whose visual phobias were triggered by Gembond, Leopard/Clouded, Giraffe/Hex, Vipera/Hypnotic, Swirl/Marbled, Jaguar/Safari, and a number of the Primal eyes. That's not an issue with the site, or the art. Multi-gaze is its own barrel of issues though haha u_u;

All this to say: different strokes for different folks; and if you dislike a gene or update, there are helpful ways for everyone to express desires for improvement and future updates, and there are ways that should be kept off the forums entirely.
M i s s A r i #29593
windie at heart | familiar collector | master of trades
A pixel adoptable of an Aqua/Rose Skydancer from Wind flight. She is wearing pearly jewellery and pink arm silks.
Oooo! Very pretty!! Good work boys! -------------------------- [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/dlJsEIj.png[/img][/center]
Oooo! Very pretty!! Good work boys!

dlJsEIj.png
483.png Cmz8k8j.pngChimiraxCmz8k8j.png
tRvB8Xn.png
zNcyhot.png
Wn6vGC1.png
g6CyIfP.png

Ok, this new gen is horrible, it's look like done 5 mins in photoshop. and honestly? I don't care if it's hateful. When I'm nice no-one's listening, when I'm harsh but not lying about what I think, no-one listens to me too, but at least message is clear.

Maybe next time... TAKE YOUR TIME to do a good gen instead of making a war about how people don't like it, and how hating something is bad.

But I love those new familiars ♥
Ok, this new gen is horrible, it's look like done 5 mins in photoshop. and honestly? I don't care if it's hateful. When I'm nice no-one's listening, when I'm harsh but not lying about what I think, no-one listens to me too, but at least message is clear.

Maybe next time... TAKE YOUR TIME to do a good gen instead of making a war about how people don't like it, and how hating something is bad.

But I love those new familiars ♥
lol ♥
RV9vDbh.png
1 2 ... 60 61 62 63 64 ... 81 82