Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | What are Gene items Lorewise?
1 2 3 4
I have to think gene changing does exist in canon because you can get gene change scrolls from NPCs. The Swappers trade you Firefly and I (Baldwin) have eight different genes you can brew in the cauldron.

As for what they are, I imagine they're scrolls as well since they are all depicted on some sort of parchment. In my lore scrolls are applied by holding/draping the scroll over you and reciting an incantation (perhaps written on the scroll), which will magically imbue those properties into you.
I have to think gene changing does exist in canon because you can get gene change scrolls from NPCs. The Swappers trade you Firefly and I (Baldwin) have eight different genes you can brew in the cauldron.

As for what they are, I imagine they're scrolls as well since they are all depicted on some sort of parchment. In my lore scrolls are applied by holding/draping the scroll over you and reciting an incantation (perhaps written on the scroll), which will magically imbue those properties into you.
dZN7FlK.pngSee progress on the Alchemy Flight!
tumblr_osrbsneh5V1v8lm95o3_r1_75sq.gif • Any pronouns
• I love random pings
• I subscribe to the threads I make
Gene items could be many things, As for what i'm doing right now... Ive got a dragon named Orison who i'm gonna gene up with bee. I was thinking about making some lore about the arcane energies around my clan changing the pattern of his wings and mane.
Gene items could be many things, As for what i'm doing right now... Ive got a dragon named Orison who i'm gonna gene up with bee. I was thinking about making some lore about the arcane energies around my clan changing the pattern of his wings and mane.
alU7SjZ.pngtumblr_oswg5vcfeg1v8lm95o3_r1_100.gifYdXahFO.gifc6ldplq.gifYdXahFO.giftumblr_oswg5vcfeg1v8lm95o4_r1_100.gifbkS13OY.png
A scroll with a spell inside to change a dragon’s appearance.
A scroll with a spell inside to change a dragon’s appearance.
Oasis Songbird .And then the sea swept in, and left us all speechless...
. Wishlist... Sales/Trades... Grab Bags
. Skin/Accent Grab Bags
[quote name="ShiraCheshire" date="2018-11-30 08:30:51" ] I usually headcanon that gene scrolls are actual scrolls. They're enchanted with magic or something so that any dragon that uses them has their appearance changed via strong magic. After one use the magic is exhausted, thus why they vanish after one use. Though sometimes for the sake of interesting lore ill headcanjon in other stuff as well. a blessing from a deity, a magic accident, an injury or disease, a purposeful change done by normal means like a tattoo, whatever. edit: holy geez i also just realized that gene scrolls arent explicitly stated to be scrolls. wow, all this time and i never noticed! I guess i just say other scrolls like renaming an youth and assumed genes were too [/quote] same same same My progens getting their genes was a big part of their lore and I wrote it as them reading magic incantations on scrolls and the patterns appearing on their bodies.
ShiraCheshire wrote on 2018-11-30 08:30:51:
I usually headcanon that gene scrolls are actual scrolls. They're enchanted with magic or something so that any dragon that uses them has their appearance changed via strong magic. After one use the magic is exhausted, thus why they vanish after one use.

Though sometimes for the sake of interesting lore ill headcanjon in other stuff as well. a blessing from a deity, a magic accident, an injury or disease, a purposeful change done by normal means like a tattoo, whatever.

edit: holy geez i also just realized that gene scrolls arent explicitly stated to be scrolls. wow, all this time and i never noticed! I guess i just say other scrolls like renaming an youth and assumed genes were too
same same same
My progens getting their genes was a big part of their lore and I wrote it as them reading magic incantations on scrolls and the patterns appearing on their bodies.
Always seeking dragons with interesting colors, Buying thread Stock the Pond! Breeding Challenge
he/him
twenties
mentally ill
about me / FAQ
clan lore
arcane flight
pings ok
FR Time +3
Fandragons tab
Pastel Goth Imperial Hatchery, Selling thread Secondhand Dragons for sale, selling thread
For me, gene scrolls are in my lore in various ways.

1. Actual spell scrolls

2. Gene change happends as a result of a ritual/trial/sickness (seen in some Subspecies as well)

3. Result of an magical accident or magical fight, something unexpected.
For me, gene scrolls are in my lore in various ways.

1. Actual spell scrolls

2. Gene change happends as a result of a ritual/trial/sickness (seen in some Subspecies as well)

3. Result of an magical accident or magical fight, something unexpected.
plagueanim1.gif
FR+9 | cQS6PnX.png | german
FObX7rS.png
- No voice to cry suffering. -
No random friend requests
_______
__
f44Zu0R.gif

Dragons just kind of look however they look. Gene scrolls aren't really a thing, outside of some exceptions like Runes or Circuit (which I'd explain either as an enchantment on the dragon's skin, or something to do with their innate magic).

A dragon's colors might shift over time, like how a bird's colors/feathers change between when it's a fledgling and when it's grown, and that might be influenced by outside magic, but there's no instant magic scrolls to poof you into a new form.

And outside of Bogsneaks, I totally ignore breed changes as being a thing. To me, they're just a game mechanic.

Edit: I also look at everything to do with the NPCs and Trading Post as just a game mechanic because it doesn't fit at all with the rest of the lore.
Dragons just kind of look however they look. Gene scrolls aren't really a thing, outside of some exceptions like Runes or Circuit (which I'd explain either as an enchantment on the dragon's skin, or something to do with their innate magic).

A dragon's colors might shift over time, like how a bird's colors/feathers change between when it's a fledgling and when it's grown, and that might be influenced by outside magic, but there's no instant magic scrolls to poof you into a new form.

And outside of Bogsneaks, I totally ignore breed changes as being a thing. To me, they're just a game mechanic.

Edit: I also look at everything to do with the NPCs and Trading Post as just a game mechanic because it doesn't fit at all with the rest of the lore.
OVI5Wp2.gif
I see them as some sort of spell that's written down on the scroll, which dragons who are good at magic can cast on themselves or others, and the dragons who aren't so good at magic can cast them also but they can mess it up easier.
I see them as some sort of spell that's written down on the scroll, which dragons who are good at magic can cast on themselves or others, and the dragons who aren't so good at magic can cast them also but they can mess it up easier.
[quote name="ShiraCheshire" date="2018-11-30 08:30:51" ] I usually headcanon that gene scrolls are actual scrolls. They're enchanted with magic or something so that any dragon that uses them has their appearance changed via strong magic. After one use the magic is exhausted, thus why they vanish after one use. Though sometimes for the sake of interesting lore ill headcanjon in other stuff as well. a blessing from a deity, a magic accident, an injury or disease, a purposeful change done by normal means like a tattoo, whatever. [b]edit: holy geez i also just realized that gene scrolls arent explicitly stated to be scrolls. wow, all this time and i never noticed! I guess i just say other scrolls like renaming an youth and assumed genes were too[/b] [/quote] I'm confused. All the genes specifically state in their descriptions that they [b][i]are[/i][/b] scrolls. With the exception of the breed changes, they all start with "A scroll that will change..." So where are we getting that genes aren't scrolls? o.O
ShiraCheshire wrote on 2018-11-30 08:30:51:
I usually headcanon that gene scrolls are actual scrolls. They're enchanted with magic or something so that any dragon that uses them has their appearance changed via strong magic. After one use the magic is exhausted, thus why they vanish after one use.

Though sometimes for the sake of interesting lore ill headcanjon in other stuff as well. a blessing from a deity, a magic accident, an injury or disease, a purposeful change done by normal means like a tattoo, whatever.

edit: holy geez i also just realized that gene scrolls arent explicitly stated to be scrolls. wow, all this time and i never noticed! I guess i just say other scrolls like renaming an youth and assumed genes were too

I'm confused. All the genes specifically state in their descriptions that they are scrolls. With the exception of the breed changes, they all start with "A scroll that will change..."

So where are we getting that genes aren't scrolls? o.O
Lichtdrache.gif
[quote name="KitalphaHart" date="2018-11-30 08:36:01" ] Didn't a mod or admin describe it as read scroll, poof new gene? [/quote] Yep! @KitalphaHart @ShiraCheshire - On where it is stated for them being actual scrolls. [quote][quote]Quote: How do breedchanges work lorewise?[/quote] Gene and Breed scrolls (and other similar specialty items) are imbued with magical properties. Once the inscription on the scroll is read, the magic is released, altering the DNA makeup of the dragon performing the ritual. The scroll then falls to [really sparkly] ashes.[/quote] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1327998/328#post_17389625]Here.[/url] So. Scrolls changing your over all self and appearance is canon.
KitalphaHart wrote on 2018-11-30 08:36:01:
Didn't a mod or admin describe it as read scroll, poof new gene?

Yep!

@KitalphaHart
@ShiraCheshire - On where it is stated for them being actual scrolls.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How do breedchanges work lorewise?

Gene and Breed scrolls (and other similar specialty items) are imbued with magical properties. Once the inscription on the scroll is read, the magic is released, altering the DNA makeup of the dragon performing the ritual. The scroll then falls to [really sparkly] ashes.

Here.

So. Scrolls changing your over all self and appearance is canon.
XTgWYyz.pnggPpaGUw.png
i tend to not consider breed changes canon for my dragons (like said before, if i changed them they were always that breed), but i do believe the scrolls exist in canon and some dragons use them; i have a few dragons who follow that, one such being a pearlcatcher gen1 who i decided was hatched a coatl and became a pc to fit herself better ^^ (she was a guardian when i got her but i can pretend)
i tend to not consider breed changes canon for my dragons (like said before, if i changed them they were always that breed), but i do believe the scrolls exist in canon and some dragons use them; i have a few dragons who follow that, one such being a pearlcatcher gen1 who i decided was hatched a coatl and became a pc to fit herself better ^^ (she was a guardian when i got her but i can pretend)
Alpha :: FR+0
they/them or
he/him please!

tumblr_inline_ojq6kyaRlG1r2ao8y_540.pngtumblr_inline_ojq6kvO0vd1r2ao8y_540.pngtumblr_inline_ojq6kzLZx61r2ao8y_540.png
_____ vxsLSdd.png _ ° Wishlist
° Badges
° Clan Exalter
° Scatter Quest
° UMs for Sale
__ ° Hug Moist?
° Moistling Sales
° Nest Rentals
° SIDHA
° 8x8/90mil!
__ TTTYQHv.png 1XIVewE.gif
1 2 3 4