Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | What are Gene items Lorewise?
1 2 3 4
In my lore, 9 times out of 10 the dragon is written to have hatched as whatever I changed them to. Sometimes, however - specifically for Gembond, Capsule, and Firefly - I write lore where they obtained the gene through other means, like Onyx Cobra bites, Alchemy accidents, or sudden bursts of powerful magic. I also have a dragon I plan to put Opal on who was scarred in an Emperor attack, and thus, didn't always have it.

I originally intended to have similar lore for Bogsneaks, as in, they happened unnaturally, but the only dragon I ever changed into a Bog, I fell out of love with and sold. My other Bogs either have Bog parents or I breed-changed to something else, if they were a G1.
In my lore, 9 times out of 10 the dragon is written to have hatched as whatever I changed them to. Sometimes, however - specifically for Gembond, Capsule, and Firefly - I write lore where they obtained the gene through other means, like Onyx Cobra bites, Alchemy accidents, or sudden bursts of powerful magic. I also have a dragon I plan to put Opal on who was scarred in an Emperor attack, and thus, didn't always have it.

I originally intended to have similar lore for Bogsneaks, as in, they happened unnaturally, but the only dragon I ever changed into a Bog, I fell out of love with and sold. My other Bogs either have Bog parents or I breed-changed to something else, if they were a G1.
trans 8upyv5b.png
fSLriXt.png
Jace | He/Him | 23 | FR+1
unknown.png
DyNrws8.png
zFqmlqZ.png
[quote name="Deathtoll" date="2018-11-30 11:57:40" ] [quote][quote]Quote: How do breedchanges work lorewise? [/quote] Gene and Breed scrolls (and other similar specialty items) are imbued with magical properties. Once the inscription on the scroll is read, the magic is released, altering the DNA makeup of the dragon performing the ritual. The scroll then falls to [really sparkly] ashes.[/quote] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1327998/328#post_17389625]Here.[/url] So. Scrolls changing your over all self and appearance is canon. [/quote] Breed change scrolls are also mentioned in the Baldwin transformation story! [quote]Baldwin's gradual transformation was fascinating. It wasn't uncommon for dragons to utilize magic-imbued scrolls to change themselves, but those worked nearly instantaneously, and were only successful if one focused all of their own internal magical energy into the process. Seeing someone go through it over the course of a month was very alien, and appeared quite physically taxing. Or was it? And just what exactly was he turning into? Magical scrolls could only hold the full-bodied countenance of dragon beings that already existed. There were myths and legends about cursed scrolls that could leave an unlucky dragon malformed and disfigured, but Tomo had never seen or heard of that occurring in her or her ancestors' lifetimes. [/quote] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=wiki&article=78]Source[/url] I also have a dragon that went from an edgy chemist to a dragon fascinated with the magic of breed/gene changes and now is a little bit less edgy and is accepting willing participants to test out breed hybrid characteristics and gene stuff. I think they're neat
Deathtoll wrote on 2018-11-30 11:57:40:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How do breedchanges work lorewise?

Gene and Breed scrolls (and other similar specialty items) are imbued with magical properties. Once the inscription on the scroll is read, the magic is released, altering the DNA makeup of the dragon performing the ritual. The scroll then falls to [really sparkly] ashes.

Here.

So. Scrolls changing your over all self and appearance is canon.

Breed change scrolls are also mentioned in the Baldwin transformation story!
Quote:
Baldwin's gradual transformation was fascinating. It wasn't uncommon for dragons to utilize magic-imbued scrolls to change themselves, but those worked nearly instantaneously, and were only successful if one focused all of their own internal magical energy into the process. Seeing someone go through it over the course of a month was very alien, and appeared quite physically taxing.

Or was it?

And just what exactly was he turning into? Magical scrolls could only hold the full-bodied countenance of dragon beings that already existed. There were myths and legends about cursed scrolls that could leave an unlucky dragon malformed and disfigured, but Tomo had never seen or heard of that occurring in her or her ancestors' lifetimes.

Source

I also have a dragon that went from an edgy chemist to a dragon fascinated with the magic of breed/gene changes and now is a little bit less edgy and is accepting willing participants to test out breed hybrid characteristics and gene stuff.

I think they're neat
IT7iTv8.png
[quote name="Mertisal" date="2018-11-30 08:22:07" ] They don't exist, and every dragon retroactively has the genes/breed they currently have [/quote] Honestly same.
Mertisal wrote on 2018-11-30 08:22:07:
They don't exist, and every dragon retroactively has the genes/breed they currently have
Honestly same.
83233757.png:Pet The Noodle:83233757.png
Hm...maybe recessive genes that almost no one has if they have a parent with common genes.
These genes are highly sought after...but they are really rare...so only pretty ones get the chance to be gened up.
Hm...maybe recessive genes that almost no one has if they have a parent with common genes.
These genes are highly sought after...but they are really rare...so only pretty ones get the chance to be gened up.
Most of the time, they don't exist in my lore and the dragon was retroactively always the genes/breed I changed them into. There are some notable exceptions where gene/breedchanges are:

Magical accidents
Magical favors/Favors from the Deity
Mysterious transformations
Alchemical accidents

So it just depends on what I feel fits the dragon's story, haha.
Most of the time, they don't exist in my lore and the dragon was retroactively always the genes/breed I changed them into. There are some notable exceptions where gene/breedchanges are:

Magical accidents
Magical favors/Favors from the Deity
Mysterious transformations
Alchemical accidents

So it just depends on what I feel fits the dragon's story, haha.
Mutation / evolution.
Mutation / evolution.
I'm fairly sure I classify them as an aesthetic item that dragons use. Like makeup or plastic surgery.

And, of course, my dragons react differently based on their personalities.
I'm fairly sure I classify them as an aesthetic item that dragons use. Like makeup or plastic surgery.

And, of course, my dragons react differently based on their personalities.
There was a time he thought a single
sword could save the kingdom. A
time, all regrets were yet far away...
I usually HC them as divine intervention from the deities that manifested itself as a breed/gene change. Dying and being reborn, an astral projection gone awry, etc.
I usually HC them as divine intervention from the deities that manifested itself as a breed/gene change. Dying and being reborn, an astral projection gone awry, etc.
Square-3.png Jp7QW8F.png Square-3.png
I like to think they are canon and that they drink some vial wrapped up in the scroll that causes a mutation of sorts that after they shed their current scales there is a different gene underneath
I like to think they are canon and that they drink some vial wrapped up in the scroll that causes a mutation of sorts that after they shed their current scales there is a different gene underneath
imageedit_7_8440965932.png
✧✧✧ AXES - THEY - 21 ✧✧✧
•••
MY HATCHERY
imageedit_6_5428970908.png
Edit: well I just wrote a novel didn't I. If only I had this kind of inspiration for my research papers...

For me it kinda depends on the dragon and the gene(s)! Most G1s were always like that in my lore, because you're not usually gonna catch me telling you about the time the derg I spent a ton of money on was a drab Tundra in lore when I could be writing them as a PC

But in my old lore, a G1 had her second-in-command buy her two gene scrolls and a Skydancer breed change scroll from the black market!

Baldwin-only genes are gotten through brewing, and are potions instead of scrolls. Gene change scrolls are ancient spells written by the scholars of certain Flights. It's said that genes were originally developed because of which flight a dragon hailed from/where they lived, so typically scholars will only make gene change scrolls for genes that originated from the flight they're in. (Smoke is Wind, Iri/Shim is Light, Crystal/Facet is Earth, and so on.) Gem gene change scrolls are genes that scholars are typically a bit iffy on where they originated, so it's harder to write the spell for them, thus making the ones that have been discovered more expensive. In a few cases, gem gene scroll are for genes that involve such raw material/power from a certain Flight that it's difficult to write the spell, such as Starmap/Constellation, which originated only in Arcane. New genes are typically ancient genes that have since pretty much left the gene pool, so scholars didn't know much, or anything in some cases, about them. Each time a new gene spell is made, it's considered a huge breakthrough in the intellectual community, inspiring other scholars to push for the matching gene and other new genes. They can typically be bought in large cities and markets close to the locations the deities reside. The genes found on the black market, however, are typically a bit cheaper, but are not guaranteed to be entirely complete (or safe). It's better for your health to just spend the extra money.

Breed change scrolls are a bit more...controversial. The breeds were made by the gods, and the chances of children being a certain breed was determined by them too. Most dragons consider making/using a breed change spell to be highly blasphemous. Most dragons won't talk about it if they've used one, giving the idea that they were always like that in my lore, but that just isn't the case. Breed change scrolls are only ever sold on the black market, and are typically made by corrupt scholars looking for a extra hundred thousand gold or so, or by more daring witches and warlocks looking to test their skills. While some alchemists have tried to replicate what Baldwin has done with the Bogsneaks with other breeds, it simply can't be done. Too powerful of magical forces were used in the creations of the original breeds to be captured and utilized in the process of alchemy.
Edit: well I just wrote a novel didn't I. If only I had this kind of inspiration for my research papers...

For me it kinda depends on the dragon and the gene(s)! Most G1s were always like that in my lore, because you're not usually gonna catch me telling you about the time the derg I spent a ton of money on was a drab Tundra in lore when I could be writing them as a PC

But in my old lore, a G1 had her second-in-command buy her two gene scrolls and a Skydancer breed change scroll from the black market!

Baldwin-only genes are gotten through brewing, and are potions instead of scrolls. Gene change scrolls are ancient spells written by the scholars of certain Flights. It's said that genes were originally developed because of which flight a dragon hailed from/where they lived, so typically scholars will only make gene change scrolls for genes that originated from the flight they're in. (Smoke is Wind, Iri/Shim is Light, Crystal/Facet is Earth, and so on.) Gem gene change scrolls are genes that scholars are typically a bit iffy on where they originated, so it's harder to write the spell for them, thus making the ones that have been discovered more expensive. In a few cases, gem gene scroll are for genes that involve such raw material/power from a certain Flight that it's difficult to write the spell, such as Starmap/Constellation, which originated only in Arcane. New genes are typically ancient genes that have since pretty much left the gene pool, so scholars didn't know much, or anything in some cases, about them. Each time a new gene spell is made, it's considered a huge breakthrough in the intellectual community, inspiring other scholars to push for the matching gene and other new genes. They can typically be bought in large cities and markets close to the locations the deities reside. The genes found on the black market, however, are typically a bit cheaper, but are not guaranteed to be entirely complete (or safe). It's better for your health to just spend the extra money.

Breed change scrolls are a bit more...controversial. The breeds were made by the gods, and the chances of children being a certain breed was determined by them too. Most dragons consider making/using a breed change spell to be highly blasphemous. Most dragons won't talk about it if they've used one, giving the idea that they were always like that in my lore, but that just isn't the case. Breed change scrolls are only ever sold on the black market, and are typically made by corrupt scholars looking for a extra hundred thousand gold or so, or by more daring witches and warlocks looking to test their skills. While some alchemists have tried to replicate what Baldwin has done with the Bogsneaks with other breeds, it simply can't be done. Too powerful of magical forces were used in the creations of the original breeds to be captured and utilized in the process of alchemy.
vjFLC.gif she/her
ace/bi
+2 FR time
forever rambling
1 2 3 4