Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Official Silent Hill Hub
1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 44 45
@BladeDancer

Silent Hill Dating Sim when?

Tbh, as much as I like visual novels, they don't always translate well to certain genres, especially horror. So far, the only horror visual novels I've found that work are the Spirit Hunter games, and even then, they're mostly puzzle and combat, not completely visual novel. (I've heard the Hayarigami series is good, too, but not played them so no idea.) So an episode-based SH is...no, no thank you.

The idea of a 1st POV is...it's odd but not completely unappealing? I mean, it COULD possibly be really good if done right...

@Firefly15

I actually liked Homecoming, tbh.
@BladeDancer

Tbh, as much as I like visual novels, they don't always translate well to certain genres, especially horror. So far, the only horror visual novels I've found that work are the Spirit Hunter games, and even then, they're mostly puzzle and combat, not completely visual novel. (I've heard the Hayarigami series is good, too, but not played them so no idea.) So an episode-based SH is...no, no thank you.

The idea of a 1st POV is...it's odd but not completely unappealing? I mean, it COULD possibly be really good if done right...

@Firefly15

*Looks at lair* Ah yes. Organised chaos.
KASr4bY.png
@SheridanCharon

Previously on Silent Hill...

(Cuts to footage of character trying doors that are locked for 30 seconds.)

The main reason I don't really like first person for these types of games is I find it harder to form an attachment to the character, I just like been able to see them during gameplay and cutscenes in story heavy games.

@Firefly15

I liked Homecoming as well.

The comments i find weird about people hating Homecoming/Downpour is when they're like "they just tried to copy SH2 with it been a story about a personal tragedy!" Like... yeah, isn't that what SH should be? The town literally draws in people with traumas. I want each game to focus on different people been caught in that. I find it more interesting than the cult stuff. (Although I did like how Homecoming mixed both together.)
@SheridanCharon

The main reason I don't really like first person for these types of games is I find it harder to form an attachment to the character, I just like been able to see them during gameplay and cutscenes in story heavy games.

@Firefly15

The comments i find weird about people hating Homecoming/Downpour is when they're like "they just tried to copy SH2 with it been a story about a personal tragedy!" Like... yeah, isn't that what SH should be? The town literally draws in people with traumas. I want each game to focus on different people been caught in that. I find it more interesting than the cult stuff. (Although I did like how Homecoming mixed both together.)
[quote name="SheridanCharon" date="2021-02-19 12:16:44" ] @BladeDancer Silent Hill Dating Sim when? Tbh, as much as I like visual novels, they don't always translate well to certain genres, especially horror. So far, the only horror visual novels I've found that work are the Spirit Hunter games, and even then, they're mostly puzzle and combat, not completely visual novel. (I've heard the Hayarigami series is good, too, but not played them so no idea.) So an episode-based SH is...no, no thank you. The idea of a 1st POV is...it's odd but not completely unappealing? I mean, it COULD possibly be really good if done right... @Firefly15 I actually liked Homecoming, tbh. [/quote] @SheridanCharon Dating Sim?! That's the last thing we need right now [i]-I mean hey, look at that ridiculous KFC flop...please just let the poor man rest in peace.[/i] As far as first person goes, I mean it's fine for [i]some [/i] horror games/games in general, but [s]ngl I find it rather unappealing in most cases[/s] not Silent Hill. [quote name="BladeDancer" date="2021-02-19 12:31:57" ] @SheridanCharon Previously on Silent Hill... (Cuts to footage of character trying doors that are locked for 30 seconds.) The main reason I don't really like first person for these types of games is I find it harder to form an attachment to the character, I just like been able to see them during gameplay and cutscenes in story heavy games. @Firefly15 I liked Homecoming as well. The comments i find weird about people hating Homecoming/Downpour is when they're like "they just tried to copy SH2 with it been a story about a personal tragedy!" Like... yeah, isn't that what SH should be? The town literally draws in people with traumas. I want each game to focus on different people been caught in that. I find it more interesting than the cult stuff. (Although I did like how Homecoming mixed both together.) [/quote] @BladeDancer ^This is my opinion exactly [i]-though I'm mostly okay with the cult stuff so long as it's not a main story/center of attention thing[/i].
SheridanCharon wrote on 2021-02-19 12:16:44:
@BladeDancer

@Firefly15

@SheridanCharon Dating Sim?! That's the last thing we need right now -I mean hey, look at that ridiculous KFC flop...please just let the poor man rest in peace.

As far as first person goes, I mean it's fine for some horror games/games in general, but ngl I find it rather unappealing in most cases not Silent Hill.

BladeDancer wrote on 2021-02-19 12:31:57:
@SheridanCharon

@Firefly15

@BladeDancer ^This is my opinion exactly -though I'm mostly okay with the cult stuff so long as it's not a main story/center of attention thing.
g8T8XC2.png
Last week's featured Image: [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/XhZAept.png[/img] [i][b]Valentine's Day Special: Silent Hill Edition[/b] Courtesy of @Firefly15[/i][/center]
Last week's featured Image:
XhZAept.png

Valentine's Day Special: Silent Hill Edition
Courtesy of @Firefly15
g8T8XC2.png
@Firefly15

Oof, please don't remind that KFC one exists, I know it was meant to be comedic but it was just... disturbing.

@BladeDancer

Never did understand that argument, because isn't that...ALL of the games? Except for 4, that's more of a "Wrong place, wrong time" thing. But all the rest are personal tragedies in some way or another, so that argument just... doesn't work.

Also can't understand people who think Downpour was the best SH of all but that's just me
@Firefly15

Oof, please don't remind that KFC one exists, I know it was meant to be comedic but it was just... disturbing.

@BladeDancer

Never did understand that argument, because isn't that...ALL of the games? Except for 4, that's more of a "Wrong place, wrong time" thing. But all the rest are personal tragedies in some way or another, so that argument just... doesn't work.

Also can't understand people who think Downpour was the best SH of all but that's just me
KASr4bY.png
@SheridanCharon

I'm guessing they mean more the plot twist of 2 with the way James is suppressing the memory of what he did and that later games like Homecoming and Origins do the same, but to me it makes sense that the town would focus on drawing in people who are denying that they're guilty of something.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say Downpour is the best of the whole series, all I ever see for it is hate. It's probably my favourite of the post-TeamSilent games though, mainly because it had some good ideas like a more open town with weird side stuff going on. I also oddly really enjoyed the Otherworld segments. I think between it, Homecoming and Origins, it had more atmosphere and creepy moments. (That one courtyard with the swing tyre that flicks between it and a hanging body is super good.)
@SheridanCharon

I'm guessing they mean more the plot twist of 2 with the way James is suppressing the memory of what he did and that later games like Homecoming and Origins do the same, but to me it makes sense that the town would focus on drawing in people who are denying that they're guilty of something.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say Downpour is the best of the whole series, all I ever see for it is hate. It's probably my favourite of the post-TeamSilent games though, mainly because it had some good ideas like a more open town with weird side stuff going on. I also oddly really enjoyed the Otherworld segments. I think between it, Homecoming and Origins, it had more atmosphere and creepy moments. (That one courtyard with the swing tyre that flicks between it and a hanging body is super good.)
@BladeDancer

Thing is, that similarity is at the most basic level because if you dig into it more, it's completely different from character to character:
James KNOWS Mary is dead (and I think he does remember how but is in complete denial and just blames the illness) but is drawn in on the basis that maybe, just maybe, he is wrong and that Mary is alive.
Alex, on the other hand, has COMPLETELY repressed his memories of what happened, to the point where he constructed a whole new set of memories to protect himself and genuinely believes Josh is alive and needs his help.

Yes, both are in denial of the truth, but that's the only similarity...aside from Silent Hill itself, of course, but even that is different.

Can't say anything about Origins because it has been a REALLY long time since I looked at that one... don't remember any of it.

Tbh, I would love a game that focuses more on the past, because it is heavily implied in multiple media that the Otherworld or some form of it existed long before Alessa.

Downpour was...it had some good ideas, like the miniquests and other things to flesh out the town more, I LOVED those, and there were some really creepy moments, but other elements were...not good. The chases lost their fear very quickly, anything that uses invisible monsters immediately loses points, I found how it kept taking your inventory from you to be frustrating, and I REALLY did not like the ending, I was left feeling "...Wait, that's it?", it was an interesting twist but it didn't FEEL like an endgame.
@BladeDancer

Thing is, that similarity is at the most basic level because if you dig into it more, it's completely different from character to character:
James KNOWS Mary is dead (and I think he does remember how but is in complete denial and just blames the illness) but is drawn in on the basis that maybe, just maybe, he is wrong and that Mary is alive.
Alex, on the other hand, has COMPLETELY repressed his memories of what happened, to the point where he constructed a whole new set of memories to protect himself and genuinely believes Josh is alive and needs his help.

Yes, both are in denial of the truth, but that's the only similarity...aside from Silent Hill itself, of course, but even that is different.

Can't say anything about Origins because it has been a REALLY long time since I looked at that one... don't remember any of it.

Tbh, I would love a game that focuses more on the past, because it is heavily implied in multiple media that the Otherworld or some form of it existed long before Alessa.

Downpour was...it had some good ideas, like the miniquests and other things to flesh out the town more, I LOVED those, and there were some really creepy moments, but other elements were...not good. The chases lost their fear very quickly, anything that uses invisible monsters immediately loses points, I found how it kept taking your inventory from you to be frustrating, and I REALLY did not like the ending, I was left feeling "...Wait, that's it?", it was an interesting twist but it didn't FEEL like an endgame.
KASr4bY.png
@SheridanCharon

I barely remember much of Origins either, most of that game was pretty bland. The only thing I really remember is that it turned out Travis was likely a serial
killer.

I get the impression that a lot of the SH fandom that screams about how any game after 4 is awful (with very bizarre reasoning) haven't even played them. They just see other people saying it and parrot it. It's a huge problem with SH fans in general - like those Twin Perfect guys who put out "plot explanation" videos that were wrong about a lot of stuff but the videos got circulated and everyone just repeats stuff from it like it's fact.
The absolute worse thing was the way they blamed Tom Hulett for ruining the series and directed everyone to harass him which was disgusting.

I tend to avoid most the SH fandom in general, it's a pretty bad one. (I find it weird that the Resident Evil fandom seems pretty chill in comparison? Like RE fans' favourite games tend to vary a lot and you're free to discuss any of them but say you enjoyed one of the non-Team Silent games and you'll get jumped on and harassed.)

I'd love to see more stuff about the past of the town, some of the notes you find about the history of it are really interesting. A game set further in the past could
be pretty good.

I really hope one of the new games take the idea of letting you in more buildings around town and expand on it. Exploring the street sections are always some of my favourite parts in the series.
The weirdest thing about Downpour's ending is that what Murphy's guilty of can change depending on which ending you get which doesn't really work too well. I remember reading this was a mistake in the Good+ ending though.
@SheridanCharon

I barely remember much of Origins either, most of that game was pretty bland. The only thing I really remember is that it turned out Travis was likely a serial
killer.

I get the impression that a lot of the SH fandom that screams about how any game after 4 is awful (with very bizarre reasoning) haven't even played them. They just see other people saying it and parrot it. It's a huge problem with SH fans in general - like those Twin Perfect guys who put out "plot explanation" videos that were wrong about a lot of stuff but the videos got circulated and everyone just repeats stuff from it like it's fact.
The absolute worse thing was the way they blamed Tom Hulett for ruining the series and directed everyone to harass him which was disgusting.

I tend to avoid most the SH fandom in general, it's a pretty bad one. (I find it weird that the Resident Evil fandom seems pretty chill in comparison? Like RE fans' favourite games tend to vary a lot and you're free to discuss any of them but say you enjoyed one of the non-Team Silent games and you'll get jumped on and harassed.)

I'd love to see more stuff about the past of the town, some of the notes you find about the history of it are really interesting. A game set further in the past could
be pretty good.

I really hope one of the new games take the idea of letting you in more buildings around town and expand on it. Exploring the street sections are always some of my favourite parts in the series.
The weirdest thing about Downpour's ending is that what Murphy's guilty of can change depending on which ending you get which doesn't really work too well. I remember reading this was a mistake in the Good+ ending though.
@SheridanCharon Lol @BladeDancer [quote]I get the impression that a lot of the SH fandom that screams about how any game after 4 is awful (with very bizarre reasoning) haven't even played them. They just see other people saying it and parrot it. [/quote] ^True enough Speaking of Downpour...[s]does anyone but me remember the birthday cake ending? I love that[/s].... X'D
@SheridanCharon Lol

@BladeDancer
Quote:
I get the impression that a lot of the SH fandom that screams about how any game after 4 is awful (with very bizarre reasoning) haven't even played them. They just see other people saying it and parrot it.
^True enough

Speaking of Downpour...does anyone but me remember the birthday cake ending? I love that.... X'D
g8T8XC2.png
@Firefly15

Clearly the true canon ending.

Also, just me, or was Murphy's voice actor pretty damn good? I looked him up and he literally only ever voiced Murphy, he has no credits for anything before or after, which is a shame.
Maybe he destroyed his vocal cords recording those screams.
@Firefly15

Clearly the true canon ending.

Also, just me, or was Murphy's voice actor pretty damn good? I looked him up and he literally only ever voiced Murphy, he has no credits for anything before or after, which is a shame.
Maybe he destroyed his vocal cords recording those screams.
1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 44 45