Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Official Silent Hill Hub
1 2 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45
@BladeDancer

I'm not even giving it the time of day, tbh. I'll look up the highlights when I get up tomorrow. I am expecting it will have a release date, or some kind of news, but my hopes for the game in general are basically zero.
@BladeDancer

I'm not even giving it the time of day, tbh. I'll look up the highlights when I get up tomorrow. I am expecting it will have a release date, or some kind of news, but my hopes for the game in general are basically zero.
*Looks at lair* Ah yes. Organised chaos.
KASr4bY.png
@SheridanCharon

Still no release date, just "in development" and no sign of showing any of the voice acting.

Think this still isn't coming for a long time.
@SheridanCharon

Still no release date, just "in development" and no sign of showing any of the voice acting.

Think this still isn't coming for a long time.
@BladeDancer

Just watched the trailer and....yeah, I was impressed until it started showing all the combat. Why does it look like they've made it more combat-orientated, which is NOT what SH2 was about? Heck, weren't we encouraged to RUN more than FIGHT?! And why did the monsters look like their textures hadn't rendered properly?

Also just about to watch a playthrough of Short Message. From what little I've seen, not impressed with that, either, but who knows, it might change my mind.

Edit: I feel like I just watched a Steam Unity-Asset Flip.
@BladeDancer

Just watched the trailer and....yeah, I was impressed until it started showing all the combat. Why does it look like they've made it more combat-orientated, which is NOT what SH2 was about? Heck, weren't we encouraged to RUN more than FIGHT?! And why did the monsters look like their textures hadn't rendered properly?

Also just about to watch a playthrough of Short Message. From what little I've seen, not impressed with that, either, but who knows, it might change my mind.

Edit: I feel like I just watched a Steam Unity-Asset Flip.
KASr4bY.png
@SheridanCharon

What have they been doing for a year? This is their first game with actual combat in isn't it? Feel like this is the reason for it taking so long, it looked pretty rough.

I haven't even bothered looking into it yet, is it even worth downloading and playing seeing as it's free?
@SheridanCharon

What have they been doing for a year? This is their first game with actual combat in isn't it? Feel like this is the reason for it taking so long, it looked pretty rough.

I haven't even bothered looking into it yet, is it even worth downloading and playing seeing as it's free?
@BladeDancer

All their other games are walking Sims, I don't remember any combat at all. This ain't shaping up well.

Thing is, if it WASN'T a Silent Hill game.....it would be mediocre at best. I would honestly recommend watching a playthrough instead of wasting disc space. Fun fact: Silent Hill wasn't even mentioned for AN HOUR, and then it was a throwaway note.
@BladeDancer

All their other games are walking Sims, I don't remember any combat at all. This ain't shaping up well.

Thing is, if it WASN'T a Silent Hill game.....it would be mediocre at best. I would honestly recommend watching a playthrough instead of wasting disc space. Fun fact: Silent Hill wasn't even mentioned for AN HOUR, and then it was a throwaway note.
KASr4bY.png
@SheridanCharon

What's with the weird yellow/green alien-ish blood splatters coming off the enemies? It looks so silly.

Seems to be a recurring theme that Silent Hill isn't even linked to anything anymore.
@SheridanCharon

What's with the weird yellow/green alien-ish blood splatters coming off the enemies? It looks so silly.

Seems to be a recurring theme that Silent Hill isn't even linked to anything anymore.
@BladeDancer

So apparently that trailer we got? According to DuskGolem, it's from an older build of the game. We've been waiting literally years for this, and they can't even spare us some video from the most up-to-date version?

As for TSM....here's the thing. SH4 and Homecoming both got a huge amount of grief for not being set in Silent Hill itself for the majority of their respective plots, but what they DID do was make abundantly clear just how much influence the powers of Silent Hill have outside of the town itself, in the neighbouring areas. They might not be set in the town, but the shadow of the town looms so large over their plots, is so intertwined with them, even when you're not in the town itself, you can't escape it.

TSM does not do that. It being sent on ANOTHER CONTINENT (Here in Europe, Germany to be specific) could also be forgiven if the ties to Silent Hill were stronger. But what does it do instead? Tries to condense down Silent Hill's whole eldritch existence into a single mental illness, the "Silent Hill Phenomena", which is literally "fog makes you see spooky monsters".

I think this comment on Reddit sums it up best:

"The scenario writer for the Short Message was a guy who collaborated with Ryukushi07 on the console arcs of Higurashi, so to me this just looks like a lazy knockoff of Hinamizawa Syndrome. Don't like how this tries to retcon the lore just to justify Silent Hill's influence spreading all over the world."
@BladeDancer

So apparently that trailer we got? According to DuskGolem, it's from an older build of the game. We've been waiting literally years for this, and they can't even spare us some video from the most up-to-date version?

As for TSM....here's the thing. SH4 and Homecoming both got a huge amount of grief for not being set in Silent Hill itself for the majority of their respective plots, but what they DID do was make abundantly clear just how much influence the powers of Silent Hill have outside of the town itself, in the neighbouring areas. They might not be set in the town, but the shadow of the town looms so large over their plots, is so intertwined with them, even when you're not in the town itself, you can't escape it.

TSM does not do that. It being sent on ANOTHER CONTINENT (Here in Europe, Germany to be specific) could also be forgiven if the ties to Silent Hill were stronger. But what does it do instead? Tries to condense down Silent Hill's whole eldritch existence into a single mental illness, the "Silent Hill Phenomena", which is literally "fog makes you see spooky monsters".

I think this comment on Reddit sums it up best:

"The scenario writer for the Short Message was a guy who collaborated with Ryukushi07 on the console arcs of Higurashi, so to me this just looks like a lazy knockoff of Hinamizawa Syndrome. Don't like how this tries to retcon the lore just to justify Silent Hill's influence spreading all over the world."
KASr4bY.png
@SheridanCharon

It's been over a year since the last trailer shown and they couldn't give us more recent footage after that?
I thought all the team had moved on as though it's finished but it still feels like this isn't coming for a while yet.

Isn't Ascension set in Europe as well? I haven't been following it to see how they tried to connect it to Silent Hill outside whatever their weird cult was supposed to be.

Are people afraid of setting it in the town because all the older games pretty much covered the entire area? Like it's been so long getting to see familiar areas in the upgraded graphics would feel new anyway.

Also think they could do something so much more interesting with the idea of SH's influence spreading outside the town.
@SheridanCharon

It's been over a year since the last trailer shown and they couldn't give us more recent footage after that?
I thought all the team had moved on as though it's finished but it still feels like this isn't coming for a while yet.

Isn't Ascension set in Europe as well? I haven't been following it to see how they tried to connect it to Silent Hill outside whatever their weird cult was supposed to be.

Are people afraid of setting it in the town because all the older games pretty much covered the entire area? Like it's been so long getting to see familiar areas in the upgraded graphics would feel new anyway.

Also think they could do something so much more interesting with the idea of SH's influence spreading outside the town.
@BladeDancer

Apparently not! You'd think they'd WANT people to be hyped for this and the best way to do that is with recent footage, but nope. Makes me think it isn't finished at all.

Is it? I have no idea, I stopped looking into that as soon as the "IT'S TRAUMA!" memes started, so I know literally nothing about the....story, if it has any.

Seems that way, which when you consider how the games that DO take place in Silent Hill, either completely or partially, show completely different areas and even the areas that do overlap are portrayed differently because the town changes depending on the target (or that's how I interpret it, going off comments the characters make, especially in 2).

So setting it in the town again, letting us see the areas again, wouldn't be that hard. The Otherworld changes for each person, work with that. Or heck, show us the town outside of the fog, when it's supposedly normal, because the town is guaranteed to have changed over the years - new buildings being built, old buildings being torn down, etc.

They could've done SO MUCH with that idea. Four and Homecoming both touch on it in different ways and both do it pretty well (although 4 does it better, tbh). Finding other ways to do that could've been really well done.

What's really disturbing me is the amount of people defending this thing, even calling it a GOOD SH GAME. Of the YTers I follow, only TWO have called it out for the garbage it is, the rest love it and think it's a good direction for SH to go in...
@BladeDancer

Apparently not! You'd think they'd WANT people to be hyped for this and the best way to do that is with recent footage, but nope. Makes me think it isn't finished at all.

Is it? I have no idea, I stopped looking into that as soon as the "IT'S TRAUMA!" memes started, so I know literally nothing about the....story, if it has any.

Seems that way, which when you consider how the games that DO take place in Silent Hill, either completely or partially, show completely different areas and even the areas that do overlap are portrayed differently because the town changes depending on the target (or that's how I interpret it, going off comments the characters make, especially in 2).

So setting it in the town again, letting us see the areas again, wouldn't be that hard. The Otherworld changes for each person, work with that. Or heck, show us the town outside of the fog, when it's supposedly normal, because the town is guaranteed to have changed over the years - new buildings being built, old buildings being torn down, etc.

They could've done SO MUCH with that idea. Four and Homecoming both touch on it in different ways and both do it pretty well (although 4 does it better, tbh). Finding other ways to do that could've been really well done.

What's really disturbing me is the amount of people defending this thing, even calling it a GOOD SH GAME. Of the YTers I follow, only TWO have called it out for the garbage it is, the rest love it and think it's a good direction for SH to go in...
KASr4bY.png
1 2 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45