Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Songs that trigger those certain feels
1 2 3 4
There are songs that trigger certain parts of our brains. Afterwards, we experience emotions, mainly happiness. But then there are those songs that trigger angriness, sadness, or fear. Some minor subcategories can show up as well - such as with fear there's disgust.

This thread idea came from a memory of mine. There's one song what's quite good on its own, but when thrown into a certain situation, it makes it... feel less good to yourself?? It's hate but not really hating the given song.

Ladies, Gentlemen, and Others... I present you, the Monster House theme from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon-games.

So little bit of backstory for those who don't know how this game series goes: It's kind of this dungeon crawler-kind of games where you go through dungeons and towards the final floor. Usually, the final floor contains a difficult boss where you'll need health-giving items.

WELL, when it comes to Monster Houses, they're essentially the game throwing the Uno reverse card on you. In those, tons of Pokemon spawn around you, and they're completely random, so you can't predict them nor evade. And if one of the Pokemons have Agility... good fricking luck on escaping.
Personal experiences with songs that instead of good feels gives you negatively?
There are songs that trigger certain parts of our brains. Afterwards, we experience emotions, mainly happiness. But then there are those songs that trigger angriness, sadness, or fear. Some minor subcategories can show up as well - such as with fear there's disgust.

This thread idea came from a memory of mine. There's one song what's quite good on its own, but when thrown into a certain situation, it makes it... feel less good to yourself?? It's hate but not really hating the given song.

Ladies, Gentlemen, and Others... I present you, the Monster House theme from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon-games.

So little bit of backstory for those who don't know how this game series goes: It's kind of this dungeon crawler-kind of games where you go through dungeons and towards the final floor. Usually, the final floor contains a difficult boss where you'll need health-giving items.

WELL, when it comes to Monster Houses, they're essentially the game throwing the Uno reverse card on you. In those, tons of Pokemon spawn around you, and they're completely random, so you can't predict them nor evade. And if one of the Pokemons have Agility... good fricking luck on escaping.
Personal experiences with songs that instead of good feels gives you negatively?
A bottle of Dasani (water)
Please drink water.

Step away if things get heated.
i came here to say i have PTSD from the monster house theme, how'd you beat me to it?

(but yeah, more info for anyone interested because i'm a nerd, you walk into a room, find items everywhere, have a crap ton of baddies surround you, then by the time you've retreated into the corridor and fought then off, you find a couple just grabbed half the loot and left. normally the best stuff, too.
you can also get missions and trap missions where you're spawned/teleported to the middle. and one dungeon with guaranteed whole-floor monster houses. and yeah, sometimes the enemies decide they're all going to move at quadruple speed and there's nothing you can do to stop them.
it's just the game's reminder that actually, no matter how tough you think you are, you're just a pawn to sheer RNG.)

i'll yell some other PMD themes your way too. they're the ones i know the best, after all.

the emotion themes, in particular Run Away/Fugitives, I Don't Want To Say Goodbye, and In The Morning Light all remind me of the exact scenes in which they were played, and nothing else. in particular, the second one's become a bit of a joke in the fanbase for how it can bring anyone who knows what it means to tears.

Rayquaza's theme from PMD1 (i think it's just called 'Battle Against A Legend') annoys me because a) it's too similar to Run Away/Fugitives but dramatic and b) i spent actual years trying to beat that boss so now when i hear it i expect a futile struggle against a large green aggressive rope

also Hollow Knight's White Palace theme. does not sound the same without the sounds of buzzsaws cracking Ghost's skull open every 5 seconds. the calmimg atmosphere it suggests the area holds? LIES.

Kid Icarus: Uprising's also got a nice big, screaming, purple-fire-surrounded green skull enemy called an Orne. their special abilities? invincible, and if you touch them you immediately die.
they're one of three enemies to have their own theme that plays upon spotting you, and for these guys it's an ominous 8-bit tune (accompanied by their shrieking). gives me PTSD almost as bad as the monster house tune at this point.
i came here to say i have PTSD from the monster house theme, how'd you beat me to it?

(but yeah, more info for anyone interested because i'm a nerd, you walk into a room, find items everywhere, have a crap ton of baddies surround you, then by the time you've retreated into the corridor and fought then off, you find a couple just grabbed half the loot and left. normally the best stuff, too.
you can also get missions and trap missions where you're spawned/teleported to the middle. and one dungeon with guaranteed whole-floor monster houses. and yeah, sometimes the enemies decide they're all going to move at quadruple speed and there's nothing you can do to stop them.
it's just the game's reminder that actually, no matter how tough you think you are, you're just a pawn to sheer RNG.)

i'll yell some other PMD themes your way too. they're the ones i know the best, after all.

the emotion themes, in particular Run Away/Fugitives, I Don't Want To Say Goodbye, and In The Morning Light all remind me of the exact scenes in which they were played, and nothing else. in particular, the second one's become a bit of a joke in the fanbase for how it can bring anyone who knows what it means to tears.

Rayquaza's theme from PMD1 (i think it's just called 'Battle Against A Legend') annoys me because a) it's too similar to Run Away/Fugitives but dramatic and b) i spent actual years trying to beat that boss so now when i hear it i expect a futile struggle against a large green aggressive rope

also Hollow Knight's White Palace theme. does not sound the same without the sounds of buzzsaws cracking Ghost's skull open every 5 seconds. the calmimg atmosphere it suggests the area holds? LIES.

Kid Icarus: Uprising's also got a nice big, screaming, purple-fire-surrounded green skull enemy called an Orne. their special abilities? invincible, and if you touch them you immediately die.
they're one of three enemies to have their own theme that plays upon spotting you, and for these guys it's an ominous 8-bit tune (accompanied by their shrieking). gives me PTSD almost as bad as the monster house tune at this point.
Guardian music in Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I swear to god I panic every time I hear that-
Guardian music in Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I swear to god I panic every time I hear that-
Even though I am the OP... I shall add one more song that I got to experience as I was replaying one game today what I've left two years ago.

So, Animal Crossing, specifically New Leaf in my situation. It's a really relaxing game, talking to the other villagers in your town, decorating your home, and secretly planning to end Tom Nook. One of the aspects of the game, or more likely something that more experienced players know, is that by shaking trees you can get money and sometimes decorations as well. All is good...

...expect if you shake the wrong spruce tree.

Jeebus de-Beebus, I actually felt something strike my stomach as I knowingly shook the trees. I knew that one of them is going to contain the wasp nest. I knew how to act and catch the wasp(s), but my body semi-froze from anxiety/fear. And thus, I got stung by bees, which also has a really nasty noise - veterans know this.

But hey! The second time I actually caught em!
Even though I am the OP... I shall add one more song that I got to experience as I was replaying one game today what I've left two years ago.

So, Animal Crossing, specifically New Leaf in my situation. It's a really relaxing game, talking to the other villagers in your town, decorating your home, and secretly planning to end Tom Nook. One of the aspects of the game, or more likely something that more experienced players know, is that by shaking trees you can get money and sometimes decorations as well. All is good...

...expect if you shake the wrong spruce tree.

Jeebus de-Beebus, I actually felt something strike my stomach as I knowingly shook the trees. I knew that one of them is going to contain the wasp nest. I knew how to act and catch the wasp(s), but my body semi-froze from anxiety/fear. And thus, I got stung by bees, which also has a really nasty noise - veterans know this.

But hey! The second time I actually caught em!
A bottle of Dasani (water)
Please drink water.

Step away if things get heated.
Cynthia's champion theme from the gen 4 Pokemon games(oh my god I hate that battle so much), the Lavender Town theme(it just makes me so uneasy and on edge), N's Farewell from Pokemon Black & White(it always makes me sad), and the end music from the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games where your character leaves(if you didn't cry or at least tear a bit somethings up).

Also idk if anyone else has seen that thing where its the intros to every Pokemon wild encounter theme spliced together, I can't find a link to it but that's what fear sounds like.

EDIT: Another song that really makes me sad that I thought of is In Loving Memory by Alter Bridge. It's about the singers mom who passed away, and it honestly just hits hard for anyone who's lost a loved one
Cynthia's champion theme from the gen 4 Pokemon games(oh my god I hate that battle so much), the Lavender Town theme(it just makes me so uneasy and on edge), N's Farewell from Pokemon Black & White(it always makes me sad), and the end music from the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games where your character leaves(if you didn't cry or at least tear a bit somethings up).

Also idk if anyone else has seen that thing where its the intros to every Pokemon wild encounter theme spliced together, I can't find a link to it but that's what fear sounds like.

EDIT: Another song that really makes me sad that I thought of is In Loving Memory by Alter Bridge. It's about the singers mom who passed away, and it honestly just hits hard for anyone who's lost a loved one
ElKYM7J.png 15pGtgT.png Ljw7JvQ.png bWeLCqf.png FAA7LEH.png mKP4GaJ.png
Oh god Monster House still freaks me out to this day

Amazing Grace. When my grandpa died, they played it on the bagpipes as they lowered him into the ground. I was around five ish when he died, so I don't really remember it, all I have left are fuzzy memories. But yeah, I was close to him and every time I hear some rendition of the song I just shut down.

The last year I was in band, one of our concerts had Amazing Grace in the list. I physically could not play that, during practice i'd get in five or so measures and just burst into tears. Not surprisingly, the director took no notice or even pulled me aside after class but whatever. But yeah, I don't vibe with that song at a l l.
Oh god Monster House still freaks me out to this day

Amazing Grace. When my grandpa died, they played it on the bagpipes as they lowered him into the ground. I was around five ish when he died, so I don't really remember it, all I have left are fuzzy memories. But yeah, I was close to him and every time I hear some rendition of the song I just shut down.

The last year I was in band, one of our concerts had Amazing Grace in the list. I physically could not play that, during practice i'd get in five or so measures and just burst into tears. Not surprisingly, the director took no notice or even pulled me aside after class but whatever. But yeah, I don't vibe with that song at a l l.
6U6lWPg.pngWRPJKhj.png
P E R E G R I N
rO50KyM.png
she/they
free giveaway

wishlist
art shop
HxP6kXi.pngqKZAaLK.png0jScwbh.pngxe4FQbY.pngDWI9puz.pngybizMWD.png7GFlGJN.pngTrnD1Pw.png
DHc3orZ.pngDHc3orZ.png
tumblr_ovy93jxd481u1ry24o2_500.gif
Thank you so much, LoversMasque. That first song was an extremely moving experience. Absolutely beautiful.

As for my submission, it would definitely have to be Fluquor. It’s so beautiful and sad, even without context.
Thank you so much, LoversMasque. That first song was an extremely moving experience. Absolutely beautiful.

As for my submission, it would definitely have to be Fluquor. It’s so beautiful and sad, even without context.
They/Them
I’m here and I’m queer
Ask to see my parrot, he is good.
[center][url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GtiqGsds94]Do Re Mi (Medley) - Kurt Cobain[/url] This song,,,oh boy this song. If you are familiar with the backstory of the one who made the song, then you will also feel the same sad pain feeling as I have when I listen to this song. [b]For those who doesn't, let me explain:[/b] Kurt Cobain, the one who made the song that I linked (Do Re Mi), is a musician who lead the band Nirvana. His backstory was rough due to where he grew up (Aberdeen, Washington) as he struggled through his childhood/teenhood. He escaped it with music (and unfortunately his addictions too) as his music symbolized a rebellion for teenagers to just live their life without regulations. From famous hits like "Smells like Teen Spirit" and "Heart-Shaped Box", he was an inspiration to me and his fans who loves listening to his music,,, ,,,however, every Nirvana fan knows what happened to Cobain. The infamous shotgun incident to the head [s]even though the real truth was that it was murder, but we're ignoring that fact[/s] that left the world to a shock. Couple of years after his death, they searched through to discover his home tapes. Thus they compiled it to an Album and Documentary: Montage of Heck (its a good movie; though its 2 hours and has a lot of tw topics such as: addiction, nudity, gore, cussing, etc) [i]Montage of Heck[/i] includes a lot of my favorites like "Poison's gone" and "What more can I say". Though the song "Do Re Mi", especially this extended version, is known to be his last one. Knowing the fact that this was his final piece hurts me, now that he is deceased at age 27. The first half of the song starts off as him just playing his guitar and making up lyrics along the way carefreely. You could hear how much he's enjoying it, as if nothing stopping him despite the harshness the world brings him,,,though at [b]5:29[/b], the second half of the song, the song shifts into a different mood. This is where my emotions start to kick in. How I view the song is that: The first half is him enjoying life of what he has of right now, from being in grief that his life has been ended (like an apparition/a ghost). It sounds like he is actually in pain, choking in tears, drowned in melancholy. His sad aura affected me too, as I cry along with him. [emoji=plague rune size=1] Sorry, think I got carried away. [b]But long story short: this song makes me cry because of how much I've connected to this man even though I wasn't born at the time when he was alive.[/b]
Do Re Mi (Medley) - Kurt Cobain

This song,,,oh boy this song. If you are familiar with the backstory of the one who made the song, then you will also feel the same sad pain feeling as I have when I listen to this song.
For those who doesn't, let me explain:

Kurt Cobain, the one who made the song that I linked (Do Re Mi), is a musician who lead the band Nirvana. His backstory was rough due to where he grew up (Aberdeen, Washington) as he struggled through his childhood/teenhood. He escaped it with music (and unfortunately his addictions too) as his music symbolized a rebellion for teenagers to just live their life without regulations. From famous hits like "Smells like Teen Spirit" and "Heart-Shaped Box", he was an inspiration to me and his fans who loves listening to his music,,,

,,,however, every Nirvana fan knows what happened to Cobain. The infamous shotgun
incident to the head even though the real truth was that it was murder, but we're ignoring that fact that left the world to a shock. Couple of years after his death, they searched through to discover his home tapes. Thus they compiled it to an Album and Documentary: Montage of Heck (its a good movie; though its 2 hours and has a lot of tw topics such as: addiction, nudity, gore, cussing, etc)

Montage of Heck includes a lot of my favorites like "Poison's gone" and "What more can I say". Though the song "Do Re Mi", especially this extended version, is known to be his last one. Knowing the fact that this was his final piece hurts me, now that he is deceased at age 27. The first half of the song starts off as him just playing his guitar and making up lyrics along the way carefreely. You could hear how much he's enjoying it, as if nothing stopping him despite the harshness the world brings him,,,though at 5:29, the second half of the song, the song shifts into a different mood. This is where my emotions start to kick in.
How I view the song is that: The first half is him enjoying life of what he has of right now, from being in grief that his life has been ended (like an apparition/a ghost). It sounds like he is actually in pain, choking in tears, drowned in melancholy. His sad aura affected me too, as I cry along with him.

Sorry, think I got carried away.
But long story short: this song makes me cry because of how much I've connected to this man even though I wasn't born at the time when he was alive.
FObX7rS.png
oDtHYlL.png
koJv3g8.png
520DU0J.png
mlHpBMC.png
fkWjutW.png
hAWo4bz.gif
Major Panic from YTTD. (Pure anxiety: 10 minutes long edition!) I suppose the clue is in the name really. When this song played, you knew something bad was going to happen. Or was currently happening and you couldn't stop it from doing so. It makes me feel all the negative emotions at once and I Do Not Like It.

From the same game, tinkonka. This one just makes me inexplicably sad, which is weird because this isn't even the sad song. There's just something about it that hits me in the feels that other songs don't.
Major Panic from YTTD. (Pure anxiety: 10 minutes long edition!) I suppose the clue is in the name really. When this song played, you knew something bad was going to happen. Or was currently happening and you couldn't stop it from doing so. It makes me feel all the negative emotions at once and I Do Not Like It.

From the same game, tinkonka. This one just makes me inexplicably sad, which is weird because this isn't even the sad song. There's just something about it that hits me in the feels that other songs don't.
A pixel sprite of a clown waving her arms up and down
clowning
was MissNevermind
1 2 3 4