Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Facts most people don't know!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
In Australia there were thing called "Emu wars". Basically Emus were fecking wilding and harassing the farmers and the government needed to do something. So they decided to put some soldiers to get rid of the thousands of emus. They managed to kill around 300 before backing down cause it wasn't working. So basically emu's won the "war".
In Australia there were thing called "Emu wars". Basically Emus were fecking wilding and harassing the farmers and the government needed to do something. So they decided to put some soldiers to get rid of the thousands of emus. They managed to kill around 300 before backing down cause it wasn't working. So basically emu's won the "war".
Ohhhhhhh I got one xD Did you know, that thanks to one single ancestor Idk how many million of years ago, that ALL blue - eyed people on the planet are related? Pretty cool huh?
Ohhhhhhh I got one xD Did you know, that thanks to one single ancestor Idk how many million of years ago, that ALL blue - eyed people on the planet are related? Pretty cool huh?
Loves all things feline
Buzzards are generally used as another term for vultures but they’re actually in the hawk family.
Buzzards are generally used as another term for vultures but they’re actually in the hawk family.
They/Them
I’m here and I’m queer
Ask to see my parrot, he is good.
[quote name="Shiraki" date="2019-05-05 23:53:59" ] In hyena society, females rule all, and even a baby/ lowest ranking female is still in a higher position then the highest ranking male. [/quote] As far as I know, this only applies to spotted hyenas. I believe I’ve read striped hyenas live solitary lives or in pairs, and brown hyenas are more like the traditional pack dynamic.
Shiraki wrote on 2019-05-05 23:53:59:
In hyena society, females rule all, and even a baby/ lowest ranking female is still in a higher position then the highest ranking male.
As far as I know, this only applies to spotted hyenas. I believe I’ve read striped hyenas live solitary lives or in pairs, and brown hyenas are more like the traditional pack dynamic.
They/Them
I’m here and I’m queer
Ask to see my parrot, he is good.
- The "shell" of beetles is called an elytra.

- There's a species of butterfly (Large blue) that lives its larvae stage in an ant nest. The ants won't kill this intrider, since it can release sugary fluids. The butterfly larvae gets its nutrition from ant pupae. As the larvae pupates and matures into an adult, it's a dangerous journey out.

- Earwigs can fly, albeit rarely.

- The largest insect that ever lived was the Arthropleura. It could grow up to 2,5 meters. Thankfully as it belonged to millipedes, it ate foliage.
- The "shell" of beetles is called an elytra.

- There's a species of butterfly (Large blue) that lives its larvae stage in an ant nest. The ants won't kill this intrider, since it can release sugary fluids. The butterfly larvae gets its nutrition from ant pupae. As the larvae pupates and matures into an adult, it's a dangerous journey out.

- Earwigs can fly, albeit rarely.

- The largest insect that ever lived was the Arthropleura. It could grow up to 2,5 meters. Thankfully as it belonged to millipedes, it ate foliage.
A bottle of Dasani (water)
Please drink water.

Step away if things get heated.
[center][img]https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/xr8rKpPeoYdy3fGSkHkP26.jpg[/img] [i]This is a baby Mola Mola[/i] (Sun fish, Moon fish, what have you.) And they're tiny, newly hatched ones being only 2.5mm (3/32in) long [img]https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Larval-Mola-%C2%A9Amy-Coghlan-1.jpg[/img] Just take a second to think bout that. the larvae aren't even an inch long, and yet, the average fin to fin length is 2.5m (8ft 2in) and can weigh up to a ton+ And female Mola Mola's can produce the most eggs of [i]any[/i] vertebrate, being able to produce up [b]300 [u]million[/u][/b] eggs. I learned all of this last night on tiktok :')
xr8rKpPeoYdy3fGSkHkP26.jpg
This is a baby Mola Mola
(Sun fish, Moon fish, what have you.)

And they're tiny, newly hatched ones being only 2.5mm (3/32in) long
Larval-Mola-%C2%A9Amy-Coghlan-1.jpg
Just take a second to think bout that. the larvae aren't even an inch long, and yet, the average fin to fin length is 2.5m (8ft 2in) and can weigh up to a ton+

And female Mola Mola's can produce the most eggs of any vertebrate, being able to produce up 300 million eggs.

I learned all of this last night on tiktok :')
ooo IJkKw0f.pngo K H U Z D U L
- - - - - - - - - - -
SHE/HER +0
25 LIBRA
oo Avatar dragon
Lore
About me
Pings ok!
• Did you hatch an
Abyss/Copper/X gen1,
but don't want them?
Don't exalt them! Hit me up ;)
Some non-avian theropods, like Microraptor, have not only have feather impressions that reveal the colour, but also that they're iridescent. That, in turn, means that non-avian dinosaurs could likely see the UV-spectrum, like modern birds. But what do birds see in those iridencent feathers? Well, for example, black corvids are as colourful to them as parrots are to us. [img]https://i.redd.it/son6o205xx031.jpg[/img]
Some non-avian theropods, like Microraptor, have not only have feather impressions that reveal the colour, but also that they're iridescent. That, in turn, means that non-avian dinosaurs could likely see the UV-spectrum, like modern birds.

But what do birds see in those iridencent feathers? Well, for example, black corvids are as colourful to them as parrots are to us.
son6o205xx031.jpg
While horses are herbivores, their diets primarily being plant-based, given the opportunity they will eat meat!

Possums are immune to rabies and snake venom!
While horses are herbivores, their diets primarily being plant-based, given the opportunity they will eat meat!

Possums are immune to rabies and snake venom!
"Luvdisc's heart-shaped body is a symbol of love and romance. It is said that any couple meeting this Pokémon is promised a loving relationship that never ends."
he/they | early 20s | writer, country boy, Big Nerd
unsure if this was already said, but geese have teeth of their tounges and inside their beaks.

pelicans can like, ok this is hard to explain but they can push their spine into their bucket mouths. i would post an image, but it's really gross, and i dont know how to put images in forums anyways. search at your own risk.

cassowaries are strong enough that if they kick you, you could die.

there's a species of lizard, the thorny devil, that shoots blood from it's eyes as a defense mechanism.

wolves dont operate in alpha beta omega structures. it's a family system. like this:

breeding pair (aka mom and dad, also known as dominant pair)

subordinates (the breeding pair's kids)

puppies (children)

when a subordinate grows to 2 yrs old, they will most likely be kicked from the pack, to prevent inbreeding (wolves can breed at 2 yrs old, and the pack doesnt want honry teens in the pack disturbing everything). they go to find another dispersal from another pack, they breed, have pups, and the cycle continues. a wolf in the wild can live up to 8 yrs old, if things go well.
unsure if this was already said, but geese have teeth of their tounges and inside their beaks.

pelicans can like, ok this is hard to explain but they can push their spine into their bucket mouths. i would post an image, but it's really gross, and i dont know how to put images in forums anyways. search at your own risk.

cassowaries are strong enough that if they kick you, you could die.

there's a species of lizard, the thorny devil, that shoots blood from it's eyes as a defense mechanism.

wolves dont operate in alpha beta omega structures. it's a family system. like this:

breeding pair (aka mom and dad, also known as dominant pair)

subordinates (the breeding pair's kids)

puppies (children)

when a subordinate grows to 2 yrs old, they will most likely be kicked from the pack, to prevent inbreeding (wolves can breed at 2 yrs old, and the pack doesnt want honry teens in the pack disturbing everything). they go to find another dispersal from another pack, they breed, have pups, and the cycle continues. a wolf in the wild can live up to 8 yrs old, if things go well.
beware of spelling errord, my keyboard is broken and my hands finemotor skills are too.
please click on my creatures, thanks
Lab Profile
[quote name="Acetheaxolotl" date="2022-02-07 14:04:44" ] unsure if this was already said, but geese have teeth of their tounges and inside their beaks. [/quote] Not just their tongues. Part of their beak also forms pseudoteeth. [img]https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/4PkbQs5pTPjsD-f4xDPvAKNSjAw=/0x0:404x521/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:404x521):format(webp):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6572799/Screen_Shot_2016-05-31_at_5.10.32_PM.0.png[/img] Also notable: Penguins! [img]https://i.redd.it/4qem88rwiev61.jpg[/img]
Acetheaxolotl wrote on 2022-02-07 14:04:44:

Not just their tongues. Part of their beak also forms pseudoteeth.
Screen_Shot_2016-05-31_at_5.10.32_PM.0.png

Also notable: Penguins!
4qem88rwiev61.jpg
1 2 3 4 5 6 7