Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | unpopular Harry Potter opinions
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13
Fenrir Greyback is an absolutely fascinating character and I would have loved to see how far his war could of gotten if the death eaters didn't exist.

I mean, his plan is pretty freaking brilliant. Not only is it relatively easy to infect people, but also so easy for them to feel hated enough by society to join his pack. Second, he (and I can assume other werewolves who act like him) have a major advantage over most wizards because they can do physical combat. It's like the 21 foot rule with knives and guns; sometimes the long distance weapon is at a disadvantage, and modern wizards are too proud to use swords anymore so they're screwed when it comes to close combat fighting.

I'm not saying I agree with his revolution before anyone accuses me of that, I would just love to see it go into action. This dude is named after the doomsday wolf that ate Odin, I'm pretty sure if he didn't try to hitch a ride off of Voldemort's war he could of caused serious damage, but that stint just stunted and ultimately ended his cause.

Another unpopular opinion is that I freaking adore the alchemical symbolism in these books. It's only unpopular because a lot of it isn't so obvious, I doubt it'd be controversial lol. My absolute favorite bit is that Harry is a Leo, which is ruled by the sun/sol, which is associated with gold in alchemy (all metals have planetary associations in alchemy, but Mercury with quicksilver is the only one that really stuck), and Voldemort is A Capricorn, ruled by Saturn, which is associated with lead.

The goal of alchemy is of course, in simple terms, to turn lead into gold. But it's far more of a metaphysical journey, lead being the bottom of moral development and gold being the height. So it's another great foil between them that I really appreciate.

I literally don't care about any of the kids. The Golden Trio, or anyone else in that age range. I also don't care about anyone in The Marauder's year either. I think the youngest charter I care about is Bellatrix, my all time fav. Luckily I'm morbidly fascinated with Albus and am fascinated with the idea of Gellert I have in my head, so this movie series is gonna be my ****.
Fenrir Greyback is an absolutely fascinating character and I would have loved to see how far his war could of gotten if the death eaters didn't exist.

I mean, his plan is pretty freaking brilliant. Not only is it relatively easy to infect people, but also so easy for them to feel hated enough by society to join his pack. Second, he (and I can assume other werewolves who act like him) have a major advantage over most wizards because they can do physical combat. It's like the 21 foot rule with knives and guns; sometimes the long distance weapon is at a disadvantage, and modern wizards are too proud to use swords anymore so they're screwed when it comes to close combat fighting.

I'm not saying I agree with his revolution before anyone accuses me of that, I would just love to see it go into action. This dude is named after the doomsday wolf that ate Odin, I'm pretty sure if he didn't try to hitch a ride off of Voldemort's war he could of caused serious damage, but that stint just stunted and ultimately ended his cause.

Another unpopular opinion is that I freaking adore the alchemical symbolism in these books. It's only unpopular because a lot of it isn't so obvious, I doubt it'd be controversial lol. My absolute favorite bit is that Harry is a Leo, which is ruled by the sun/sol, which is associated with gold in alchemy (all metals have planetary associations in alchemy, but Mercury with quicksilver is the only one that really stuck), and Voldemort is A Capricorn, ruled by Saturn, which is associated with lead.

The goal of alchemy is of course, in simple terms, to turn lead into gold. But it's far more of a metaphysical journey, lead being the bottom of moral development and gold being the height. So it's another great foil between them that I really appreciate.

I literally don't care about any of the kids. The Golden Trio, or anyone else in that age range. I also don't care about anyone in The Marauder's year either. I think the youngest charter I care about is Bellatrix, my all time fav. Luckily I'm morbidly fascinated with Albus and am fascinated with the idea of Gellert I have in my head, so this movie series is gonna be my ****.
How could I forget! Okay, one more, and this one is definitely unpopular:
Bellatrix would have made a damn fine Gryffindor.
  • Bravery. She was completely calm in the face of being tortured in Azkaban.
  • Nerve. See above (I loved the scene of her trial so ******* much), and that she was honestly disappointed when Harry's Cruciatus didn't work on her. That's nerve.
  • Courage. See both above bullet points quite frankly. That and she never actually lost her will in Azkaban. She was probably the most courageous martyr in the entire series.
  • Chivalry. Chivalry is more than just honor. Medieval knights' chivalry was in large part about the knight's loyalty to their feudal lord and religious Lord. Being a loyal servant and warrior was a huge part of Chivalry, and Bellatrix is nothing is not loyal. Prowess in combat was another huge part of Medieval chivalry, and Bellatrix certainly has that in the bag.
  • Daring. There's the whole brazen boldness in the face of Azkaban, both on here way in and during her time, and the fact she's always eager to fight. But let's not forget this chick beings knives to wand fights. She's daring as hell.

Also worth noting, not only does she exhibit these traits, but she absolutely values them. She hated Severus for his disloyalty, which she only suspected. Plus I think we can assume she hated the death eaters who lied their way out of jail as much as Barty Jr did, if not more lol.

How could I forget! Okay, one more, and this one is definitely unpopular:
Bellatrix would have made a damn fine Gryffindor.
  • Bravery. She was completely calm in the face of being tortured in Azkaban.
  • Nerve. See above (I loved the scene of her trial so ******* much), and that she was honestly disappointed when Harry's Cruciatus didn't work on her. That's nerve.
  • Courage. See both above bullet points quite frankly. That and she never actually lost her will in Azkaban. She was probably the most courageous martyr in the entire series.
  • Chivalry. Chivalry is more than just honor. Medieval knights' chivalry was in large part about the knight's loyalty to their feudal lord and religious Lord. Being a loyal servant and warrior was a huge part of Chivalry, and Bellatrix is nothing is not loyal. Prowess in combat was another huge part of Medieval chivalry, and Bellatrix certainly has that in the bag.
  • Daring. There's the whole brazen boldness in the face of Azkaban, both on here way in and during her time, and the fact she's always eager to fight. But let's not forget this chick beings knives to wand fights. She's daring as hell.

Also worth noting, not only does she exhibit these traits, but she absolutely values them. She hated Severus for his disloyalty, which she only suspected. Plus I think we can assume she hated the death eaters who lied their way out of jail as much as Barty Jr did, if not more lol.

@kuchipatchis [quote=kuchipatchis]dont conflate physical appearance with morality, especially the big nosed one because that has white supremacist connotations (but also not the greasy one because some of us like severus have an oily complexion and depression!!) and using the name that was used by bullies gives me the heebie jeebies[/quote] excuse me what? what does saying severus snape is a bad dude have to do with white supremacy, i'm [i]wheezing[/i]. and the oily complexion thing... i'm not even going to try on this one. you gave me a good laugh though.
@kuchipatchis
kuchipatchis wrote:
dont conflate physical appearance with morality, especially the big nosed one because that has white supremacist connotations (but also not the greasy one because some of us like severus have an oily complexion and depression!!) and using the name that was used by bullies gives me the heebie jeebies

excuse me what? what does saying severus snape is a bad dude have to do with white supremacy, i'm wheezing. and the oily complexion thing... i'm not even going to try on this one. you gave me a good laugh though.
lkzAKA7.jpg
@kuchipatchis i guess it would hurt your feelings if i told you your response actually made me laugh harder than your original post then. i didn't see anyone say he has a big nose, but even if they did... he does, his actor does and i'm pretty sure he's described as having a long, hooked nose in the books. sorry that observations are seen as ad hominem attacks in your view, but you don't seem all that hinged as it is. crying racist for making fun of someone's nose is some next-level buzzfeed article heroism.

snape is a greasy old dude with lank hair and a big nose and he was evil and an ugly man inside and out. he wasn't fat though, so i guess i don't get to be fatphobic today.
@kuchipatchis i guess it would hurt your feelings if i told you your response actually made me laugh harder than your original post then. i didn't see anyone say he has a big nose, but even if they did... he does, his actor does and i'm pretty sure he's described as having a long, hooked nose in the books. sorry that observations are seen as ad hominem attacks in your view, but you don't seem all that hinged as it is. crying racist for making fun of someone's nose is some next-level buzzfeed article heroism.

snape is a greasy old dude with lank hair and a big nose and he was evil and an ugly man inside and out. he wasn't fat though, so i guess i don't get to be fatphobic today.
lkzAKA7.jpg
@kuchipatchis [img]https://media.giphy.com/media/l4Ki2obCyAQS5WhFe/giphy.gif[/img] pointing out someone's bad features is not the same as hating them solely for those features. maybe don't call others a racist for it and then expect no backlash, this isn't tumblr. peace out.
@kuchipatchis

giphy.gif

pointing out someone's bad features is not the same as hating them solely for those features. maybe don't call others a racist for it and then expect no backlash, this isn't tumblr. peace out.
lkzAKA7.jpg
The entire franchise itself isn't that good.
The entire franchise itself isn't that good.
VGxuHXT.png
I didn't feel like Dumbledore being announced as being gay years afterwards was a big shock or a big deal. First of all, his sexual orientation wasn't relevant to the story at all and it would have been inappropriate to bring up in front of Harry since he was still at school and their relationship was still mentor-student (I'm not against LGBT+ but it's just not professional for teachers to talk about that part (meaning whatever their sexual orientation is) of their private lives in front of their students.)

Also, I kinda knew Dumbledore was gay when I first read the series. It was just kinda obvious to me, especially after the Deathly Hallows. It just fit his character.

Also I cringe at people who ship Draco and Harry in a relationship or just a friendship. Oh man its just SO cringe worthy I DON'T understand why anyone ships them in any sort of relationship. They hated each other and there is so much bad blood between them! And it's not that they just hated each other in school, Draco was a freakin Death Eater (an involuntary one but still). ugh the cursed child brings me nightmares for this and many more reasons ugh

AND I believe Snape does deserve all the recognition he gets from the fanbase but not because he was a brave hero or a horrible bully teacher but because he was both at the same time. He was simultaneously an antagonist and a protagonist and because of this he was an AMAZINGLY crafted and well-developed character that you rarely see in the young adult fantasy genre these days. People get so hung up over his actual deeds that they don't even recognize the thoughtfulness put into his design by J.K. The fact that half the fandom hates him and the other half loves him just proves how absolutely fantastic his character design really was.
I didn't feel like Dumbledore being announced as being gay years afterwards was a big shock or a big deal. First of all, his sexual orientation wasn't relevant to the story at all and it would have been inappropriate to bring up in front of Harry since he was still at school and their relationship was still mentor-student (I'm not against LGBT+ but it's just not professional for teachers to talk about that part (meaning whatever their sexual orientation is) of their private lives in front of their students.)

Also, I kinda knew Dumbledore was gay when I first read the series. It was just kinda obvious to me, especially after the Deathly Hallows. It just fit his character.

Also I cringe at people who ship Draco and Harry in a relationship or just a friendship. Oh man its just SO cringe worthy I DON'T understand why anyone ships them in any sort of relationship. They hated each other and there is so much bad blood between them! And it's not that they just hated each other in school, Draco was a freakin Death Eater (an involuntary one but still). ugh the cursed child brings me nightmares for this and many more reasons ugh

AND I believe Snape does deserve all the recognition he gets from the fanbase but not because he was a brave hero or a horrible bully teacher but because he was both at the same time. He was simultaneously an antagonist and a protagonist and because of this he was an AMAZINGLY crafted and well-developed character that you rarely see in the young adult fantasy genre these days. People get so hung up over his actual deeds that they don't even recognize the thoughtfulness put into his design by J.K. The fact that half the fandom hates him and the other half loves him just proves how absolutely fantastic his character design really was.
XriSV9h.gif
[quote name="kuchipatchis" date="2018-09-14 21:57:07" ] i was so happy to find when cursed child came out that bellamort is canon :) [/quote] [img]https://media.giphy.com/media/12XMGIWtrHBl5e/giphy.gif[/img] I kid ;) [s]not really...[/s]
kuchipatchis wrote on 2018-09-14 21:57:07:
i was so happy to find when cursed child came out that bellamort is canon :)

giphy.gif

I kid ;)

not really...
XriSV9h.gif
Luna Lovegood was a great character in the film but was poorly written in the book

J.K. Rowling just constantly changes the lore and the universe on Twitter to the point it's making me doubt everything about the original story
Luna Lovegood was a great character in the film but was poorly written in the book

J.K. Rowling just constantly changes the lore and the universe on Twitter to the point it's making me doubt everything about the original story
Heart.gif
@CrazyRedFire idk what ur exact opinions on tcc are (dont seem positive lol) but thats really the only part i like to sorta acknowledge, the rest is like a disaster imo plus i just dont care at all about next gen so shhhh just let me have my terrible ship - i dont even THINK about the baby i just like to feel #valid knowing that they,,,,,, whatever their relationship was
@CrazyRedFire idk what ur exact opinions on tcc are (dont seem positive lol) but thats really the only part i like to sorta acknowledge, the rest is like a disaster imo plus i just dont care at all about next gen so shhhh just let me have my terrible ship - i dont even THINK about the baby i just like to feel #valid knowing that they,,,,,, whatever their relationship was
8VvjJ9p.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13