Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | unpopular Harry Potter opinions
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13
Dumbledore is the worst excuse for lgbt representation ever and just screams that JK added that tidbit as an after thought.
Dumbledore is the worst excuse for lgbt representation ever and just screams that JK added that tidbit as an after thought.
With the fair warning that I'm not a huge HP fan and I don't mean anything I say as an attack on those who are--love whatcha love! <3

The fifth book is the best book; it's best because there's actual, creative, serious use of worldbuilding.
  • Grimmauld Place is a fascinating look at how the "other side" of wizardry lived, plus we get cleaning shop coupled to magic, the general idea of turning a spooky-arse evil house into a home, and a slice-of-life worldview that added a lot of fine detail.
  • The bits vs. Umbridge, especially from the Weasley twins, were incredibly imaginative and so satisfying. In Umbridge, I feel like we got a proper villain--not just because of her everydayness, but because she was a near threat and interacted with the main characters, plus taught us a bunch about how shambly the "adult" wizard world is. Plus, seeing the guerrilla magical warfare gave us insight into the breadth and depth of magic which is something weirdly hand-waved for most of the series.
  • The Department of Mysteries! Wow, what a place: the mysteries we see take on a creative, abstract, almost nightmarish tone that's like nothing else in the series. The veil, the brains, the time room...I mean, call me edgy, but here we see the missing side of magic. It's not just research, it's dangerous research, right into the fabric of existence, and it's portrayed beautifully.
  • Thestrals! I love them. Just throwin' that out there.

I read the books long before I found out about the fandom, and was shocked when I saw that 5's somewhere in the middle popularity-wise. I appreciate that it's a tonal turning point, and yeah it's kind of over-the-top in the edginess in parts, but to me this is the peak of wizarding world-building.

To close out the unpopular opinion with a much worse one (sorry): HP worldbuilding is a weakness when it SHOULD HAVE been a strength, perhaps even THE strength, and I think the fact that so much fanon content involves interacting with the setting just underscores how much a missed opportunity the lackluster worldbuilding elsewhere was.

Also, Voldy's not a great villain. Just opinion, but a pretty firm one.
With the fair warning that I'm not a huge HP fan and I don't mean anything I say as an attack on those who are--love whatcha love! <3

The fifth book is the best book; it's best because there's actual, creative, serious use of worldbuilding.
  • Grimmauld Place is a fascinating look at how the "other side" of wizardry lived, plus we get cleaning shop coupled to magic, the general idea of turning a spooky-arse evil house into a home, and a slice-of-life worldview that added a lot of fine detail.
  • The bits vs. Umbridge, especially from the Weasley twins, were incredibly imaginative and so satisfying. In Umbridge, I feel like we got a proper villain--not just because of her everydayness, but because she was a near threat and interacted with the main characters, plus taught us a bunch about how shambly the "adult" wizard world is. Plus, seeing the guerrilla magical warfare gave us insight into the breadth and depth of magic which is something weirdly hand-waved for most of the series.
  • The Department of Mysteries! Wow, what a place: the mysteries we see take on a creative, abstract, almost nightmarish tone that's like nothing else in the series. The veil, the brains, the time room...I mean, call me edgy, but here we see the missing side of magic. It's not just research, it's dangerous research, right into the fabric of existence, and it's portrayed beautifully.
  • Thestrals! I love them. Just throwin' that out there.

I read the books long before I found out about the fandom, and was shocked when I saw that 5's somewhere in the middle popularity-wise. I appreciate that it's a tonal turning point, and yeah it's kind of over-the-top in the edginess in parts, but to me this is the peak of wizarding world-building.

To close out the unpopular opinion with a much worse one (sorry): HP worldbuilding is a weakness when it SHOULD HAVE been a strength, perhaps even THE strength, and I think the fact that so much fanon content involves interacting with the setting just underscores how much a missed opportunity the lackluster worldbuilding elsewhere was.

Also, Voldy's not a great villain. Just opinion, but a pretty firm one.
cL9yafY.gif
so when i first read the books i was 8 or 9, and i enjoyed them. the movies not so much, but i feel like that's a widely accepted opinion. but i reread them not too long ago, and, they're not amazing? it was nice to 'see' the characters that i loved as a kid again, but i couldn't even get through the whole series. it just bored me.

this could just be that i've grown out of the fantasy genre, but the books don't really stand out to me and i've read better.

also, i never thought voldemort was a good villain.
so when i first read the books i was 8 or 9, and i enjoyed them. the movies not so much, but i feel like that's a widely accepted opinion. but i reread them not too long ago, and, they're not amazing? it was nice to 'see' the characters that i loved as a kid again, but i couldn't even get through the whole series. it just bored me.

this could just be that i've grown out of the fantasy genre, but the books don't really stand out to me and i've read better.

also, i never thought voldemort was a good villain.
harpey_zps125ficha_by_delamire-d8sw2u8.gif
He/Him
+8FRT
I think the whole Romilda Vane thing was kind of unnecessary.
I think the whole Romilda Vane thing was kind of unnecessary.
Quidditch makes no sense at all because of the golden snitch.
It would have been fine if catching the golden snitch meant ending the game and ONLY ending the game, but no, it has to be worth a ridicolous amount of points, almost guarenting the win every time, and it makes all the other spots on the team feel complealtly useless.
If catching the snitch only purpose was to end the game, there would be so much more strategy to the game. Your team is in the lead, now it is time to catch the snitch! But oh no, the other team won't let you and so on - but that is if you keep the snitch in the game, because I am of the opinion that the game would be better without it.
The snitch was a needed plot device in the story to give Harry some sort of victory after a decade of neglect and to make him feel close to his dad. It worked in the first book, but then the problems with the snitch apperard in the later books and it is clear J K Rowling tried to fix that plothole with the professional game in book 4, to show that catching the snitch didn't always mean victory, but in my opinion it didn't work at all.
In other words, I do not like the 150 points the golden snitch grants the seeker and their team because it makes everything else in the game seem pointless.
It would have been fine if catching the golden snitch meant ending the game and ONLY ending the game, but no, it has to be worth a ridicolous amount of points, almost guarenting the win every time, and it makes all the other spots on the team feel complealtly useless.
If catching the snitch only purpose was to end the game, there would be so much more strategy to the game. Your team is in the lead, now it is time to catch the snitch! But oh no, the other team won't let you and so on - but that is if you keep the snitch in the game, because I am of the opinion that the game would be better without it.
The snitch was a needed plot device in the story to give Harry some sort of victory after a decade of neglect and to make him feel close to his dad. It worked in the first book, but then the problems with the snitch apperard in the later books and it is clear J K Rowling tried to fix that plothole with the professional game in book 4, to show that catching the snitch didn't always mean victory, but in my opinion it didn't work at all.
In other words, I do not like the 150 points the golden snitch grants the seeker and their team because it makes everything else in the game seem pointless.
zQBvWE4.png
slytherin as a house was just executed so weirdly in the main story. it had plenty of unambitious characters and was blatantly just the magical racism house/death eater training grounds, so like, why was it even allowed to exist lol

the sorting quiz always puts me in it though, and I appreciate that the spinoff materials try to represent it better and that the fandom has largely reclaimed it and embraced it for the traits it was supposed to be about
slytherin as a house was just executed so weirdly in the main story. it had plenty of unambitious characters and was blatantly just the magical racism house/death eater training grounds, so like, why was it even allowed to exist lol

the sorting quiz always puts me in it though, and I appreciate that the spinoff materials try to represent it better and that the fandom has largely reclaimed it and embraced it for the traits it was supposed to be about
[quote name="JazzerHazzer" date="2019-10-26 15:55:41" ] Quidditch makes no sense at all because of the golden snitch. It would have been fine if catching the golden snitch meant ending the game and ONLY ending the game, but no, it has to be worth a ridicolous amount of points, almost guarenting the win every time, and it makes all the other spots on the team feel complealtly useless. If catching the snitch only purpose was to end the game, there would be so much more strategy to the game. Your team is in the lead, now it is time to catch the snitch! But oh no, the other team won't let you and so on - but that is if you keep the snitch in the game, because I am of the opinion that the game would be better without it. The snitch was a needed plot device in the story to give Harry some sort of victory after a decade of neglect and to make him feel close to his dad. It worked in the first book, but then the problems with the snitch apperard in the later books and it is clear J K Rowling tried to fix that plothole with the professional game in book 4, to show that catching the snitch didn't always mean victory, but in my opinion it didn't work at all. In other words, I do not like the 150 points the golden snitch grants the seeker and their team because it makes everything else in the game seem pointless. [/quote] You know, I thought I was misremembering all this about the Golden Snitch being worth a ridiculous, game-ending amount of points but nope. I 100% agree with this take. / I’m kinda rusty on Harry Potter since it’s been a while, so if I went back and watched/read the series now I’d probably have some stronger opinions but... * Snape and the whole “Always” thing are not at all romantic. Dude couldn’t get over his teenage love interest even 10+ years after she was married and later passed on, then took it out on her son by treating him terribly for like 5 whole books. Ok so, tell me how that’s not neckbeard-y at all. * Slytherin is pretty poorly written. It’s written to clearly be the “evil” house full of antagonists and/or unlikable characters when the traits associated with Slytherin are not objectively bad. Tbh I kind of have a pet peeve in general with certain series, including HP, painting “ambition” as a negative trait when in real life ambition is a really good thing to have. Ambition in real life implies dedication, drive/focus, and hard work to achieve a major goal. “Ambition” as a villainous trait is usually much closer to a power-hungry individual who steps on others to get what they want. Slytherin in the books tends to get portrayed as the latter.
JazzerHazzer wrote on 2019-10-26 15:55:41:

You know, I thought I was misremembering all this about the Golden Snitch being worth a ridiculous, game-ending amount of points but nope. I 100% agree with this take.

/

I’m kinda rusty on Harry Potter since it’s been a while, so if I went back and watched/read the series now I’d probably have some stronger opinions but...

* Snape and the whole “Always” thing are not at all romantic. Dude couldn’t get over his teenage love interest even 10+ years after she was married and later passed on, then took it out on her son by treating him terribly for like 5 whole books. Ok so, tell me how that’s not neckbeard-y at all.

* Slytherin is pretty poorly written. It’s written to clearly be the “evil” house full of antagonists and/or unlikable characters when the traits associated with Slytherin are not objectively bad. Tbh I kind of have a pet peeve in general with certain series, including HP, painting “ambition” as a negative trait when in real life ambition is a really good thing to have. Ambition in real life implies dedication, drive/focus, and hard work to achieve a major goal. “Ambition” as a villainous trait is usually much closer to a power-hungry individual who steps on others to get what they want. Slytherin in the books tends to get portrayed as the latter.
Never be afraid to ping me!
Neville is the ideal student. For the most part, Harry and Ron are incompetent as far as academics, and it's not realistic to expect for everyone to be as outgoing as Hermione. (Aside from this I can't really remember anything about Harry Potter)
Neville is the ideal student. For the most part, Harry and Ron are incompetent as far as academics, and it's not realistic to expect for everyone to be as outgoing as Hermione. (Aside from this I can't really remember anything about Harry Potter)
IN3qoA3.gifhnOYGuB.gifE0tpxPX.gif
Harry Potter wasn't that good a series. Narnia was better.
Harry Potter wasn't that good a series. Narnia was better.
tumblr_ovy93jxd481u1ry24o2_500.gif
@JazzerHazzer I agree with your post, what is the point of the rest if catching the snitch makes that team win. At least if the other team earned more then 150 points before the game ended they would win. Or is that already in there? If it is all about catching the snitch what is the rest? Pointless entertainment while everyone waits for the snitch to be cached? If that was true then why would they keep the points for the rest of the game? [b]It just does not make sense!![/b] [quote name="JazzerHazzer" date="2019-10-26 15:55:41" ] Quidditch makes no sense at all because of the golden snitch. It would have been fine if catching the golden snitch meant ending the game and ONLY ending the game, but no, it has to be worth a ridicolous amount of points, almost guarenting the win every time, and it makes all the other spots on the team feel complealtly useless. If catching the snitch only purpose was to end the game, there would be so much more strategy to the game. Your team is in the lead, now it is time to catch the snitch! But oh no, the other team won't let you and so on - but that is if you keep the snitch in the game, because I am of the opinion that the game would be better without it. The snitch was a needed plot device in the story to give Harry some sort of victory after a decade of neglect and to make him feel close to his dad. It worked in the first book, but then the problems with the snitch apperard in the later books and it is clear J K Rowling tried to fix that plothole with the professional game in book 4, to show that catching the snitch didn't always mean victory, but in my opinion it didn't work at all. In other words, I do not like the 150 points the golden snitch grants the seeker and their team because it makes everything else in the game seem pointless. [/quote]
@JazzerHazzer
I agree with your post, what is the point of the rest if catching the snitch makes that team win. At least if the other team earned more then 150 points before the game ended they would win. Or is that already in there? If it is all about catching the snitch what is the rest? Pointless entertainment while everyone waits for the snitch to be cached? If that was true then why would they keep the points for the rest of the game? It just does not make sense!!
JazzerHazzer wrote on 2019-10-26 15:55:41:
I AM A CHICKEN NUGGET!!
sprng.png
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13