Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | unpopular Harry Potter opinions
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
@ranka oh you put it into much better words than i did, yes yes yes!!! the books emphasize family so much and the weasleys almost immediately became harry's family when he met them all. he felt so at home at the burrow with all of them, he loved how personal and magical everything was. when the war is over, of course he'd find comfort in people who went through it with him, of course he'd settle down with ginny! these kids went through so much, they were traumatized, it's completely logical that the relationships at the end of the series turned out the way they did. i have a lot of issues with the books, but harry/ginny and ron/hermione aren't some of them.

also, side note... seen a few people mention harry/luna in this thread.... what?? maybe it's just me but they are "ride-or-die" best friends. i love luna so much but mmmmm i don't think her and harry would ever work.
@ranka oh you put it into much better words than i did, yes yes yes!!! the books emphasize family so much and the weasleys almost immediately became harry's family when he met them all. he felt so at home at the burrow with all of them, he loved how personal and magical everything was. when the war is over, of course he'd find comfort in people who went through it with him, of course he'd settle down with ginny! these kids went through so much, they were traumatized, it's completely logical that the relationships at the end of the series turned out the way they did. i have a lot of issues with the books, but harry/ginny and ron/hermione aren't some of them.

also, side note... seen a few people mention harry/luna in this thread.... what?? maybe it's just me but they are "ride-or-die" best friends. i love luna so much but mmmmm i don't think her and harry would ever work.
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Sailor
she/he
milkchai-cacat.png
The academic schedule makes no sense. The professors keep assigning multipage essays and the main ones tech at least 12 classes each, the patrol at night. When do they grade? When do they sleep?

Who is supervising these children when they're not in class. Can you just let 11 yr olds wander the grounds alone when there are attack trees and whatever all is in the forest without even a fence to keep it in and them out? Does that work?
The academic schedule makes no sense. The professors keep assigning multipage essays and the main ones tech at least 12 classes each, the patrol at night. When do they grade? When do they sleep?

Who is supervising these children when they're not in class. Can you just let 11 yr olds wander the grounds alone when there are attack trees and whatever all is in the forest without even a fence to keep it in and them out? Does that work?
tumblr_inline_o21bnbQvyI1r3lvtf_400.png
Harry potter is batman but with magic
Harry potter is batman but with magic
A dragon dressed up as bubbles and fish that has a Bio full of lesser known tips and tricks to Flight Rising
[quote name="Kaio" date="2019-10-29 23:59:44" ] I love how wizards put themselves on this pedestal above muggles as they causally endorse slavery, still engage in semi-feudalism, and are at least 3 centuries behind technologically and progressively. Wizards are so hypocritical, it's mindboggling sometimes. [/quote] THIS This is my biggest problem with HP. All their awful customs are presented as quirky fantasy setting. When there is a rare critic to the wizards' prejudice against the other creatures and non magi it's shallow, fleeting or centrist in the worst way possible also [quote name="BlackandTan" date="2019-11-20 13:43:38" ] The marauders were a bunch of bullies and should never have been hero worshiped by any fans. [/quote] trash gang with the trashiest fangirls
Kaio wrote on 2019-10-29 23:59:44:
I love how wizards put themselves on this pedestal above muggles as they causally endorse slavery, still engage in semi-feudalism, and are at least 3 centuries behind technologically and progressively. Wizards are so hypocritical, it's mindboggling sometimes.
THIS
This is my biggest problem with HP. All their awful customs are presented as quirky fantasy setting. When there is a rare critic to the wizards' prejudice against the other creatures and non magi it's shallow, fleeting or centrist in the worst way possible

also
BlackandTan wrote on 2019-11-20 13:43:38:
The marauders were a bunch of bullies and should never have been hero worshiped by any fans.
trash gang with the trashiest fangirls
2947.png Hiro
| Brazil | FR +4
Sornieth's #2 Seeker Orb connoisseur & collector
-> please ping me!
4e8c4d35dbfc48545837857d8907144346ebb180.gif
f261d312d3350311525c3447854e87c7d0c3b5ec.gif
@GravityGryphon Thank you! And yes, especially because of Molly. She loves him like her own son. I mean, she even makes him the same weasley family christmas sweaters as her other children, and fusses over whether he's eating enough because she knows the Dursleys underfeed him. The only reason she doesn't discipline him like her own kids is, I suspect, because she knows the Dursleys do whether they have a reason or not and the last thing he needs is more of the same.

I even sorta disagree with JK Rowling on ron/hermione. Most of their issues come from just being insecure teenagers who don't know how to relationship yet. Pretty much everyone's first relationship is unhealthy and a little toxic on some level, but that doesn't mean you just stay that way forever and never learn or grow up.

As for Harry/Luna... I have no idea either. I think people who ship them have just never read the books. Like I said in another comment, Harry is a lot nicer in the films because you don't hear his inner monologue. He doesn't act or voice his more negative or rude thoughts so on screen there's no way for us to know it's happening, but he can be kinda mean and judgmental in his head, and Luna's one of the characters I remember him doing that to a lot. He likes her, but he also still thinks she's crazy and weird and calls her loony lovegood in his head at times like everyone else does. I can't see them together for the same reasons I can't see him with Hermione, he just doesn't like her that way, or that much.
@GravityGryphon Thank you! And yes, especially because of Molly. She loves him like her own son. I mean, she even makes him the same weasley family christmas sweaters as her other children, and fusses over whether he's eating enough because she knows the Dursleys underfeed him. The only reason she doesn't discipline him like her own kids is, I suspect, because she knows the Dursleys do whether they have a reason or not and the last thing he needs is more of the same.

I even sorta disagree with JK Rowling on ron/hermione. Most of their issues come from just being insecure teenagers who don't know how to relationship yet. Pretty much everyone's first relationship is unhealthy and a little toxic on some level, but that doesn't mean you just stay that way forever and never learn or grow up.

As for Harry/Luna... I have no idea either. I think people who ship them have just never read the books. Like I said in another comment, Harry is a lot nicer in the films because you don't hear his inner monologue. He doesn't act or voice his more negative or rude thoughts so on screen there's no way for us to know it's happening, but he can be kinda mean and judgmental in his head, and Luna's one of the characters I remember him doing that to a lot. He likes her, but he also still thinks she's crazy and weird and calls her loony lovegood in his head at times like everyone else does. I can't see them together for the same reasons I can't see him with Hermione, he just doesn't like her that way, or that much.
As someone who never read the original books, I somewhat enjoyed the movies.
They had flaws (most glaringly obvious) but had good aspects and charm to them.

With that said...

Magic is bullpucky.

I mean... how does it make sense? Like I'm glad there's some limitations, most shows and movies have little to no limits on magic and can use it however they want when it's convenient.
But how dors it work exactly? I agree with the person who said that JK sucks at world building... The main essence of the movies (and maybe the books too?) Wasn't fleshed out all that well imo. It was just "Magic is a thing!" And that's all it felt like in the movies.

I'm mostly referencing voldermort getting caught up in power lines (which actually made me laugh because he's supposed to be the dark lord???? Lmao) and apparently you can fling spells without saying anything?? How does that work because before I'm pretty sure magic can only happen if you say the word, but it can also randomly happen?

I feel the lack of explanation on magic or how anything (especially beyond Harry's view) works kind of dulled my enjoyment for the movies.

It's been such a while since I've even seen the movies though, so I could be wrong, but magic just seems inconsistent and odd...
As someone who never read the original books, I somewhat enjoyed the movies.
They had flaws (most glaringly obvious) but had good aspects and charm to them.

With that said...

Magic is bullpucky.

I mean... how does it make sense? Like I'm glad there's some limitations, most shows and movies have little to no limits on magic and can use it however they want when it's convenient.
But how dors it work exactly? I agree with the person who said that JK sucks at world building... The main essence of the movies (and maybe the books too?) Wasn't fleshed out all that well imo. It was just "Magic is a thing!" And that's all it felt like in the movies.

I'm mostly referencing voldermort getting caught up in power lines (which actually made me laugh because he's supposed to be the dark lord???? Lmao) and apparently you can fling spells without saying anything?? How does that work because before I'm pretty sure magic can only happen if you say the word, but it can also randomly happen?

I feel the lack of explanation on magic or how anything (especially beyond Harry's view) works kind of dulled my enjoyment for the movies.

It's been such a while since I've even seen the movies though, so I could be wrong, but magic just seems inconsistent and odd...
~*My g1s for sale*~
She/Her
Baby bat goth
Chat with me anything Undertale/Deltarune
My avatar dragon (click)
Slytherins are treated bad
Hufflepuffs deserve to be loved for value of herd work— something anyone can develop
Ron was a good friend until he started to like hermione
Slytherins are treated bad
Hufflepuffs deserve to be loved for value of herd work— something anyone can develop
Ron was a good friend until he started to like hermione
9242fa66-b028-11ea-854c-b3686ccad672.gif My Brew Shop
Where's my broadcast from? win a prize if you pm me!
I still ship Harry x Hermione tbh. I always liked that ship better than Ginny x Harry and was pretty disappointed when they became endgame. Hermione is sassy and Harry's kind of a jerk, they're perfect for each other.

Snape is an abuser and an all around creep but it still makes my heart hurt that he went his whole life mistaking obsession for love. That's downright tragic. My HP guilty pleasure is AUs where Lily helps Snape learn the difference and he becomes a better person out of it. I've always believed that he knew he was a terrible person but wasn't strong enough to do anything about it and saw no point in trying to change even if he was stronger. People love to hate on Snape for how he treated Harry and the Hogwarts students in general, and yeah, that's valid. He's an abuser. But he's also a lot more than that. He's a character, it's okay to talk about his other sides.
I still ship Harry x Hermione tbh. I always liked that ship better than Ginny x Harry and was pretty disappointed when they became endgame. Hermione is sassy and Harry's kind of a jerk, they're perfect for each other.

Snape is an abuser and an all around creep but it still makes my heart hurt that he went his whole life mistaking obsession for love. That's downright tragic. My HP guilty pleasure is AUs where Lily helps Snape learn the difference and he becomes a better person out of it. I've always believed that he knew he was a terrible person but wasn't strong enough to do anything about it and saw no point in trying to change even if he was stronger. People love to hate on Snape for how he treated Harry and the Hogwarts students in general, and yeah, that's valid. He's an abuser. But he's also a lot more than that. He's a character, it's okay to talk about his other sides.
EWVk32n.png 2myBCp7.png vnzi22K.png EZm008o.png O0Pbuvo.png
[quote name="kuchipatchis" date="2018-09-12 20:24:52" ] if you express your hatred of severus by calling him greasy, snivellus, or big nosed (!!!) i probably dont like you at all. dont conflate physical appearance with morality, [b]especially the big nosed one because that has white supremacist connotations[/b] (but also not the greasy one because some of us like severus have an oily complexion and depression!!) and using the name that was used by bullies gives me the heebie jeebies [/quote] THIS!!!! Giving "evil" characters big noses is a dog whistle for anti-semitism (and trust me, the books have tons of that *cough* Goblins *cough*) It's a jewish stereotpye and it's only considered ugly in society because of anti-semitism and propaganda spread during WWII. @kuchipatchis thank you :')
kuchipatchis wrote on 2018-09-12 20:24:52:
if you express your hatred of severus by calling him greasy, snivellus, or big nosed (!!!) i probably dont like you at all. dont conflate physical appearance with morality, especially the big nosed one because that has white supremacist connotations (but also not the greasy one because some of us like severus have an oily complexion and depression!!) and using the name that was used by bullies gives me the heebie jeebies

THIS!!!!

Giving "evil" characters big noses is a dog whistle for anti-semitism (and trust me, the books have tons of that *cough* Goblins *cough*) It's a jewish stereotpye and it's only considered ugly in society because of anti-semitism and propaganda spread during WWII.
@kuchipatchis thank you :')
Giving all the epilogue children the same names as every other character that already exists is bad fanfic-level elementary school writing.
Giving all the epilogue children the same names as every other character that already exists is bad fanfic-level elementary school writing.
QjL7JNU.pngtumblr_o9gvjeARQk1u9ymyzo10_r1_250.png
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13