Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | unpopular Harry Potter opinions
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 13
I grew up reading the books before they got suuuuuper popular and the culture it created kind of...made me hate it.

When people introduce themselves as their HP house I cringe so hard. >_>

The Chronicles of Earthsea is such a much better written young wizard series too. <_<

I'm sorry but it's just done to death. Its reputation REALLY precedes it at this point imsorry

I grew up reading the books before they got suuuuuper popular and the culture it created kind of...made me hate it.

When people introduce themselves as their HP house I cringe so hard. >_>

The Chronicles of Earthsea is such a much better written young wizard series too. <_<

I'm sorry but it's just done to death. Its reputation REALLY precedes it at this point imsorry

nZzzLxJ.png Horror aesthetic/lore lair
Weird goblin hermit
She/Her
.......................... Massive Horror fan
Gamer
Writer
zwGyDvx.png
snape is actually a cool character ey

hating him for woke cookies doesnt make you a big brain person haha
snape is actually a cool character ey

hating him for woke cookies doesnt make you a big brain person haha
2947.png Hiro
| Brazil | FR +4
Sornieth's #2 Seeker Orb connoisseur & collector
-> please ping me!
4e8c4d35dbfc48545837857d8907144346ebb180.gif
f261d312d3350311525c3447854e87c7d0c3b5ec.gif
Luna and Neville should’ve got together

(This might not be that unpopular but...)
I despise Drarry and Dramione, and like the actual canon ships

(This probably isn’t even unpopular but whatever)
I like Hinny and Romione.

Luna and Neville should’ve got together

(This might not be that unpopular but...)
I despise Drarry and Dramione, and like the actual canon ships

(This probably isn’t even unpopular but whatever)
I like Hinny and Romione.

I have too many fandoms... and too many ships. I love Broadway musicals

She/Her pronouns LBGTQ+ Ally

?whfsX=platform.png
it,,, it isn't that good

it,,, it isn't that good

IMG_8704.png
- the movies and cursed child arent that bad tbh. cursed child has a revolutionary set and lighting, and is EXTREMELY beautiful. (say what you will about the story) at least the movies follow the books PRETTY well and are a FINISHED series. like they did all seven books. other series can't say the same.
- the movies and cursed child arent that bad tbh. cursed child has a revolutionary set and lighting, and is EXTREMELY beautiful. (say what you will about the story) at least the movies follow the books PRETTY well and are a FINISHED series. like they did all seven books. other series can't say the same.
she/he/they | fr + 3
Dumbledore was a horrible person.

He left Harry with the Dursleys, and despite knowing of the things he was put through (trapped in his cupboard for weeks, Dudley being a bully, etc) he didn't move him or save him. This was tried to beredeemed with the whole "protected by petunia" plotpoint thing, but Dumbledore was supposed to be this all-powerful wizard, right? Surely he could've taken Harry someplace else and bundled him in protective spells. Given that he was able to stay at the Burrow with Ron, we know it is possible for him to live somewhere else. If he had moved him after he turbrd 11, that would have been excusable, but he still did nothing, even after Harry knew about magic, and could easily have moved in at the Burrow (we all know Molly wanted to adopt Harry lol)

He also completely disappeared from Harry's life after Goblet, something I will never forgive him for. After Harry saw his friend killed in front of him, then told it was his fault, the first person he turned to was Dumbledore. Guess who the first person was to turn away? While Harry was going through mental hell, Dumbledore just sat there purposefully ignoring Harry, telling himself it was okay because this 15 yo who saved the world was secretly Voldemort or something?? I don't know what he was thinking.

He was also a pretty terrible headmaster, always giving Gryffindor the win even when the other houses deserved it, always giving extra housepoints to his favourite students practically for breathing, and other than Harry he had basically nothing to do with actually running the school?? He was basically just a figurehead lol

thank you for coming to my ted talk

Also pls don't attack me for my opinion cos all opinions are valid :)
Dumbledore was a horrible person.

He left Harry with the Dursleys, and despite knowing of the things he was put through (trapped in his cupboard for weeks, Dudley being a bully, etc) he didn't move him or save him. This was tried to beredeemed with the whole "protected by petunia" plotpoint thing, but Dumbledore was supposed to be this all-powerful wizard, right? Surely he could've taken Harry someplace else and bundled him in protective spells. Given that he was able to stay at the Burrow with Ron, we know it is possible for him to live somewhere else. If he had moved him after he turbrd 11, that would have been excusable, but he still did nothing, even after Harry knew about magic, and could easily have moved in at the Burrow (we all know Molly wanted to adopt Harry lol)

He also completely disappeared from Harry's life after Goblet, something I will never forgive him for. After Harry saw his friend killed in front of him, then told it was his fault, the first person he turned to was Dumbledore. Guess who the first person was to turn away? While Harry was going through mental hell, Dumbledore just sat there purposefully ignoring Harry, telling himself it was okay because this 15 yo who saved the world was secretly Voldemort or something?? I don't know what he was thinking.

He was also a pretty terrible headmaster, always giving Gryffindor the win even when the other houses deserved it, always giving extra housepoints to his favourite students practically for breathing, and other than Harry he had basically nothing to do with actually running the school?? He was basically just a figurehead lol

thank you for coming to my ted talk

Also pls don't attack me for my opinion cos all opinions are valid :)
y6Tz96p.pngFObX7rS.pngy6Tz96p.png
5hF3FGk.png
I feel really really badly for Draco Malfoy.

Imagine growing up in a household full of hate. Your parents tell you who are to hate. Your parents' friends echo that hate, your friends (who are probably hand picked by your parents to make sure they are the "right" sort of friends) who echo that hate. For ten years, everyone you know echos that hate right back at you. You never actually meet the people you are to hate because your parents make sure you don't.

Then you go to school and people are mean to you. You can't understand why. You are put in a house where the teachers and other students reassure you that it's nothing that you're done. It's just the people you are supposed to hate acting like jerks because they are hateful people, which is why you've been taught to hate them.

That sort of sick and wretched upbringing is hard to break away from. Everything that you know and have been brought up to believe is wrong. That is a very very hard thing to come to terms with and even when you do, you risk everyone you know and love turning against you.

Make no mistake: Malfoy acted like an evil jerk and did horrible things. However I think it's important to have a bit of understanding of how he came to be that way. Babies aren't born hating people who are different from them, they are taught to. Malfoy was able to change (to some degree) at the end and that could have easily cost him his life. That's courage right there. I'm hoping that when JK Rowling writes her next books, she'll take that into account and write him continuing his journey into decency and raising his children to respect and care about everyone, regardless of parentage.

Also I have to mention Dumbledore. He does a lot of terrible things in the books, but knowingly giving baby Harry to a family that he knows would abuse him is the worst. I grew up in an abusive household. It was horrible and has had lasting effects even +20 years later. If I found out that I could have been raised in a loving and caring household instead, I probably would have joined Voldemort myself. Shame on Dumbledore and everyone who had even an inkling of the abuse that Harry was going through.
I feel really really badly for Draco Malfoy.

Imagine growing up in a household full of hate. Your parents tell you who are to hate. Your parents' friends echo that hate, your friends (who are probably hand picked by your parents to make sure they are the "right" sort of friends) who echo that hate. For ten years, everyone you know echos that hate right back at you. You never actually meet the people you are to hate because your parents make sure you don't.

Then you go to school and people are mean to you. You can't understand why. You are put in a house where the teachers and other students reassure you that it's nothing that you're done. It's just the people you are supposed to hate acting like jerks because they are hateful people, which is why you've been taught to hate them.

That sort of sick and wretched upbringing is hard to break away from. Everything that you know and have been brought up to believe is wrong. That is a very very hard thing to come to terms with and even when you do, you risk everyone you know and love turning against you.

Make no mistake: Malfoy acted like an evil jerk and did horrible things. However I think it's important to have a bit of understanding of how he came to be that way. Babies aren't born hating people who are different from them, they are taught to. Malfoy was able to change (to some degree) at the end and that could have easily cost him his life. That's courage right there. I'm hoping that when JK Rowling writes her next books, she'll take that into account and write him continuing his journey into decency and raising his children to respect and care about everyone, regardless of parentage.

Also I have to mention Dumbledore. He does a lot of terrible things in the books, but knowingly giving baby Harry to a family that he knows would abuse him is the worst. I grew up in an abusive household. It was horrible and has had lasting effects even +20 years later. If I found out that I could have been raised in a loving and caring household instead, I probably would have joined Voldemort myself. Shame on Dumbledore and everyone who had even an inkling of the abuse that Harry was going through.
"You don't need a reason to help someone "
~Zidane Tribal
I walked in here to talk about Dumbledore

but its all already been said
I walked in here to talk about Dumbledore

but its all already been said
Jd88XNq.png
sh5xjiu.pngQwz7flm.png
ZKQ6ohh.pngtNgQJvM.pngDgV9RW4.png
gNKHrxH.png1bSJVgF.pngbYt72YT.png
FBhgews.png9qLrp5W.pngRWhZ0Cq.pngaef8eafda28aee269865ab582e14a312ac4c2f3c.png6e97a552d6cb288faaaf054be66db8a44c0e78e9.pngQk0VB5d.png
Dumbledore is an awful person

Draco should have had a better chance for redemption

The hate in the books towards slytherin is? Largely unjustified and the other houses were kinda in the wrong from the start. Can you imagine being a kid and finally getting sorted only to have the rest of the school boo you when you get sorted? That’s not cool
Dumbledore is an awful person

Draco should have had a better chance for redemption

The hate in the books towards slytherin is? Largely unjustified and the other houses were kinda in the wrong from the start. Can you imagine being a kid and finally getting sorted only to have the rest of the school boo you when you get sorted? That’s not cool
KdK3h1K.pnguJuXpVk.pngT2nbrk6.pngqYCod4C.pngWH26Bag.pngcedPG3i.pngtp1eAiM.png8KNFjaF.pngXRLXA9U.png7GFlGJN.png
HjHLEYt.png
Just how little the magical community in Britain as a whole knows about Muggle society.

I mean, the only Wizarding hub of commerce we see is smack in the middle of London. Muggles may be stated to be painfully oblivious to magic, but it's far more obvious that the opposite is true as well and that aspect is hardly ever touched upon.
Just how little the magical community in Britain as a whole knows about Muggle society.

I mean, the only Wizarding hub of commerce we see is smack in the middle of London. Muggles may be stated to be painfully oblivious to magic, but it's far more obvious that the opposite is true as well and that aspect is hardly ever touched upon.
tumblr_nknb5ifvlX1s7y9wxo5_100.pngiiadg18.png
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 13