Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | unpopular Harry Potter opinions
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13
Dobby was annoying and I felt nothing when he died.

Dobby was annoying and I felt nothing when he died.

byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
@kuchipatchis personally I like to pretend tcc doesn't exist and that the series ended with the Deathly Hallows. I know J. K. once said it was canon on Twitter but I'm not sure she reallly meant it. None of the storyline or the new characters are really acknowledged on Pottermore...

Only thing that was passable in the tcc was the character of Scorpius (but god what a horrible name) but even then...

But just the thought of Voldy doing it with anyone is just UGH
@kuchipatchis personally I like to pretend tcc doesn't exist and that the series ended with the Deathly Hallows. I know J. K. once said it was canon on Twitter but I'm not sure she reallly meant it. None of the storyline or the new characters are really acknowledged on Pottermore...

Only thing that was passable in the tcc was the character of Scorpius (but god what a horrible name) but even then...

XriSV9h.gif
[quote name="margomoon" date="2018-09-12 18:56:13" ] -JKR is so godawful at worldbuilding. the HP universe makes absolutely no sense if you think about it for more than 2 minutes. [/quote] I can agree with this actually but she was a fairly new writer at the time when she created the story and worldbuilding is a pretty advanced skill for fantasy authors. Besides, by the time the books became popular and she was a much better writer skill-wise, it was too late to change the basic aspects of the Wizarding World to be more well rounded.
margomoon wrote on 2018-09-12 18:56:13:
-JKR is so godawful at worldbuilding. the HP universe makes absolutely no sense if you think about it for more than 2 minutes.

I can agree with this actually but she was a fairly new writer at the time when she created the story and worldbuilding is a pretty advanced skill for fantasy authors. Besides, by the time the books became popular and she was a much better writer skill-wise, it was too late to change the basic aspects of the Wizarding World to be more well rounded.
XriSV9h.gif
I don't think slytherin is evil :/
I don't think slytherin is evil :/
0e339d30-3d6e-11e9-8895-1988d6584d7c.gifnew_piskel__4__by_justmoredragonstuff-dc78euy.gifnew_piskel__2__by_justmoredragonstuff-dc6yqrm.gifnew_piskel__5__by_justmoredragonstuff-dc78stw.gifgamqog1.gifZksdOni.gifnew_piskel__3__by_justmoredragonstuff-dc74o4j.gifr2mttMy.gifGHWRE8R.gifyeetingingingign.gif
Yeah, I agree with those who didn't like Slytherin's portrayal in the series; maybe I'm biased as a Slytherin myself, but... The fact that the whole House was judged because of a few bad apples - and was always shown as the one in the Wrong(tm) or the Evil(tm) one, and set apart from the other Houses constantly in the story was like, what.
J.K. Rowling, pliiiz.
Also imo, the whole story would've been so much more interesting if Harry had been in Slytherin instead of Gryffindor :'(( Like, he could've shown everyone that Slytherin could do greatness too, and be friends with other Houses!
So much potential wasted right at the beginning, rip.
Yeah, I agree with those who didn't like Slytherin's portrayal in the series; maybe I'm biased as a Slytherin myself, but... The fact that the whole House was judged because of a few bad apples - and was always shown as the one in the Wrong(tm) or the Evil(tm) one, and set apart from the other Houses constantly in the story was like, what.
J.K. Rowling, pliiiz.
Also imo, the whole story would've been so much more interesting if Harry had been in Slytherin instead of Gryffindor :'(( Like, he could've shown everyone that Slytherin could do greatness too, and be friends with other Houses!
So much potential wasted right at the beginning, rip.
Renard(e) || Pronouns; iel or they
Host of the Fireworks Median system
FR Time +3 || French and English speaker || 25+
- Current hyperfixation : Saint Seiya -
(Autistic, so I'm super sorry if I say weird things at times!)
[quote name="CrazyRedFire" date="2018-09-15 05:11:40" ] But just the thought of Voldy doing it with anyone is just UGH [/quote] Oh my God thats a thing? wtf?
CrazyRedFire wrote on 2018-09-15 05:11:40:

Oh my God thats a thing? ***?
[quote name="GirlGamer1001" date="2018-09-14 21:37:29" ] The entire franchise itself isn't that good. [/quote] [img]https://media1.tenor.com/images/46d73c3cc50fa32e0e1d8c2a38007477/tenor.gif[/img]
GirlGamer1001 wrote on 2018-09-14 21:37:29:
The entire franchise itself isn't that good.

tenor.gif
Hufflepuffs always compain about being underrepresented but in fandom discussions and whatnot I think they're pretty popular.
Hufflepuffs always compain about being underrepresented but in fandom discussions and whatnot I think they're pretty popular.
zbWELyv.png
tuDXykQ.png
TTd5qF8.png
wmaQkkP.png
sapphire/jekyll
he/she
fr time+3
commissions
I have no problem with people disliking characters for any reason but like Snape is one of those characters who shouldn't really be perceived as either black or white and a large portion of fandon likes to forget that. Also [quote name="Diath" date="2018-09-12 19:00:50" ] [Snape] He’s a greasy, creepy guy who lives in a basement and gets upset because Lily didn’t pick him and picked a “Chad” - not a particularly interesting character, just a fantasy version of a real type of person who happens to get a kinda terrible redemption thingy. [/quote] That's not the best take on Snape-Liliy relationship I've ever seen tbh. I just stumbled upon an interesting (very vintage :D) site that tries to analise fanon and compare it to canon and there's a [url=http://members.madasafish.com/~cj_whitehound/Fanfic/fanonvscanon.htm#stalker_Snape]nice piece[/url] about that actually, if anoyone is interested (an intersting thing to notice is that teenage devotion carried to adulthood aspect that is very common among characters in Potterversum but sure Snape is a creep right?) It also has a lot of other stuff about Snape including a [url=http://members.madasafish.com/~cj_whitehound/Fanfic/fanonvscanon.htm#good_or_evil_Snape]take on black-grey morality[/url]) I digress a little, but I just thought it was cool enough to share. Also an opinion I guess - Harry himself is a lil' underappreciated. It's been years and maybe it's easy now to say that X would be a better protag but maybe that's just a desire for a new story speaking (or a desire for certain kind of story). But Harry also went through stuff even before first book starts and has flaws and you hardly ever see anyone replying to "who's your fav HP character?" with "Harry Potter". [size=1]I don't mean like [i]you all should like Harry and Snape more[/i], like I said nobody needs to give any reasons to like or dislike a character.
I have no problem with people disliking characters for any reason but like Snape is one of those characters who shouldn't really be perceived as either black or white and a large portion of fandon likes to forget that.
Also
Diath wrote on 2018-09-12 19:00:50:
[Snape] He’s a greasy, creepy guy who lives in a basement and gets upset because Lily didn’t pick him and picked a “Chad” - not a particularly interesting character, just a fantasy version of a real type of person who happens to get a kinda terrible redemption thingy.
That's not the best take on Snape-Liliy relationship I've ever seen tbh.
I just stumbled upon an interesting (very vintage :D) site that tries to analise fanon and compare it to canon and there's a nice piece about that actually, if anoyone is interested (an intersting thing to notice is that teenage devotion carried to adulthood aspect that is very common among characters in Potterversum but sure Snape is a creep right?)
It also has a lot of other stuff about Snape including a take on black-grey morality)
I digress a little, but I just thought it was cool enough to share.

Also an opinion I guess - Harry himself is a lil' underappreciated. It's been years and maybe it's easy now to say that X would be a better protag but maybe that's just a desire for a new story speaking (or a desire for certain kind of story). But Harry also went through stuff even before first book starts and has flaws and you hardly ever see anyone replying to "who's your fav HP character?" with "Harry Potter".
I don't mean like you all should like Harry and Snape more, like I said nobody needs to give any reasons to like or dislike a character.
    
BYsP4la.png   

Script
they/them | FR+9
|
     | lvl 26 Cauldron
| Fandragons?
| Flight reps (wip)
[quote name="GirlGamer1001" date="2018-09-14 21:37:29" ] The entire franchise itself isn't that good. [/quote] [img]https://media1.tenor.com/images/a6b1ab9ed0706f44d025ec7e8688b643/tenor.gif[/img]
GirlGamer1001 wrote on 2018-09-14 21:37:29:
The entire franchise itself isn't that good.
tenor.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13